Sign in to follow this  
Fap

Compilation of issues I've found or read about intensively.

It's still funny to see people mistaking awful design for something that's 'unique' to Arma and should be kept.

It's just bad design, stop trying to defend it. It's not realistic, it's not good gameplay, it's just stupid and doesn't belong in any game. This has nothing to do with CoD or BF or MLP adventure.

Also 100% agree on a shortcut key for opening doors or climbing ladders! You should be able to press a single key and when your player is close enough he will move into the animation.

well... you are, its called default action, you can assign it as you wish (with possible exception of numer keys :P)

The default action is not always what you expect it to be.

*hits key to open door* BOOOOOOOOM! Your claymore has gone off.

Customary face-palm ensues.

............................................________

....................................,.-'"...................``~.,

.............................,.-"..................................."-.,

.........................,/...............................................":,

.....................,?......................................................,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:"........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}

...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../

...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"

............/.`~,......`-...................................../

.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__

,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,__......`,.................................

...................`=~-,,.,...............................

................................`:,,...........................`..............__

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_..........._,-%.......`

Edited by Gorbachev

this is not CoD or Batllefield and i hope will never be or i'll forget forever Arma too, Arma is excellent as it be and as it always been

Why are you mentioning COD and Battlefield? They have nothing to do with the poor weapon selection system design of ArmA.. /OT

I actually though about this, as soon as you aim at the general direction of the door, a door icon should pop up and say "Hold Whateverkey" that you've bound, by default spacebar, 0.5 sec hold and you start a short animation where your hand goes up reaching for the door, and then the door should open.

It doesn't require a full animation of you opening the door and walking inside etc (imagine the getting out animation for the QUAD, that shit is awful), I hope to god all the ideas mentioned in this thread will be added somehow whatever way they want, just change it dangit ;)

I won't be posting so much for a week or two, I hope you keep the thread going guys!

Going home to my dad's autoshop to build a new PC case for my new parts.

Oh boy, ArmA 3 is a good motivation for getting new parts, ehehe.

Beacuse this is not an MP game only, and numbers are used for orders to your team mates or AI, ain't difficult to try to adapt to the arma gameplay wich is the same from 2001, there are thousands of player never had these kind of problems related to scroll menu, and weapon change, and this is not CoD or Batllefield and i hope will never be or i'll forget forever Arma too, Arma is excellent as it be and as it always been

Those numbers could be used exactly the same if the command menu opens after you press one button like 0 and then you can navigate 1-4, 5-5 etc.

This is how 1, 2, 3 etc. could be assigned for weapons, demolitions etc. just how CAI said.

This would release 9 new keys for use and in most games those keys are weapon selections but of course BIS could also let them to be used for something else.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Hi, i've seen in some videos that:

- By night, the Reflex sight glass becomes opaque (using NVGs) if you've the moon behind you, as the glass .rvmat is too strong; so it obscures entirely the sight's glass making it useless. This was there too on the ArmA2 (with the M68 & Kobra sights) and never was fixed, is very sad to see it too on the ArmA3. Let's C ya

Do you have an example you could link easily? I can't remember seeing this anywhere :S

*sigh* people who cant use scroll wheel, or shit mice?

And how often do you really change weapons? I never pull a pistol unless my ammo runs dry (my bad). And switching to a rocket launcher shouldn't be Insto Rambo Blamo anyways.

And how often do you really change weapons? I never pull a pistol unless my ammo runs dry (my bad). And switching to a rocket launcher shouldn't be Insto Rambo Blamo anyways.

True. But there are other examples, for example using stachel charges, scrolling up & down trying not to accidentally set it off :D and even worse - scrolling up & down when something drifts in front of the player view and triggers off a contextual reshuffling of scroll wheel options often causing you to click something accidentally just as this happens. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to organise AI to do something useful only to have something drift into my view just as I click - and my entire squad all jump up and go romping off into direct fire... :)

is anybody else having problems with inventory system??

when your inventory capacity is full and you right click on items in crate they disappear

also sometimes guns are not automatically added to inventory on right clicking

Edited by asdzxcv

The scroll menu has been like this since the OFP days IIRC, now suddenly it's a 'problem'? I'm used to the scroll menu and I've grown to like it over time.

And since apparently you want your character to manage recoil for you, why not take away movement and let your expert virtual soldier to that for you as well, I'm sure he knows how to take cover.

I'm used to the scroll menu and I've grown to like it over time.

Agreed. Either go play your CoD crap or get on with the program.

Maybe cut the amount of recoil travel to half after a few bullets leave the weapon.This is to simulate that once the first bullet is fired you can then lean into it for a bit more control.

This is a good idea. The lack of auto-centering is a necessary element of challenge to replace our avatar's ability for perfect trigger pulls and sight alignment, but it should never result in sending bullets into the stratosphere.

Agreed. Either go play your CoD crap or get on with the program.

Cut that shit out posthaste, especially when discussing what is simply an inferior mechanic that is handled better in every corridor shooter out there.

Shit mice? What do you mean? Are you saying the Razer Naga is a shitty mouse? Why is it shitty?

The amount of times I change weapons shouldn't be a factor in whether or not the way the system I do it with sucks ass.

Please, just get out of this thread with that attitude, we don't need angry teenagers flaming.

If you can keep it constructive, I welcome you.

I never said I wanted "Insto Rambo Blamo".

I just said the way it currently is, is impossibly stupid. No one is that slow... Dropping your assault rifle when hanging on a strap to pull your pistol out shouldn't take very long.

I could approve of the slow times if you could actually effing move while doing so, like, in the real world?

Ever seen a guy stop in the middle of line of fire to pull out a pistol because he's out of ammo? Nah, neither have i.

Not being able to move while swapping weapons is stupid, ok maybe it should limit your speed, but being locked in position... just no.

The scroll menu has been like this since the OFP days IIRC, now suddenly it's a 'problem'? I'm used to the scroll menu and I've grown to like it over time.

And since apparently you want your character to manage recoil for you, why not take away movement and let your expert virtual soldier to that for you as well, I'm sure he knows how to take cover.

Sigh, you goddamn trolls. Please just take your fucking shitty garbage attitude out of here and come back when you've grown up and can keep it constructive.

0/10 - all of you. Bad trolls.

posthaste? Inferior mechanic? I don't think so.

Says the troll. Nice.

Edited by Fap

I personaly have nothing against the scroll menu, but the possibility to switch weapons with keys is something I consider to be a nice idea.

Just maybe something like:

Shift + 1 = select primary weapon

Shift + 2 = select secondary weapon

Shift + 3 = select detonator/ satchels -> open an action menu dedicated only to explosives like satchels or IED's (without any "open door" or "switch weapon" etc... options)

Issue with the dev build released on 3 of april, 2013. The walking with weapon by your side animation is completely broken, it plays partially and then leaves you sliding, jittering between playing and not playing. Very uncomfortable.

To other people it looks like the animation is fine but every now and then you'll shudder in place.

This happened whilst playing multiplayer, haven't tested singleplayer yet.

Issue with the dev build released on 3 of april, 2013. The walking with weapon by your side animation is completely broken, it plays partially and then leaves you sliding, jittering between playing and not playing. Very uncomfortable.

To other people it looks like the animation is fine but every now and then you'll shudder in place.

This happened whilst playing multiplayer, haven't tested singleplayer yet.

I haven't played much multiplayer, sounds horrible though :(

Thank you for reminding me of this though!

SHOOTING UP in a 90 degree angle is impossible. The fuck is this? I can bend backwards more than 90 degrees and still shoot a handgun effectively in real life, this needs to be fixed. (don't say "But wearing armor constraints you!" - No. It happens for naked players aswell, invalid argument.

Imagine if someone is straight above you on a ledge or something and the game doesn't let you shoot him because apparently your spine is made of hardened steel with soldered joints :(

Shooting down in a 90 degree angle is also impossible (from what i've tested in singleplayer) - this is stupid aswell, i can shoot inbetween my legs bending over quite easily.. Not saying this should be implemented, but not being able to shoot 90 degrees is.... well.... just no.

Actually thought about it abit, and came up with something..

Mousewheel is for stance swapping, current way is clunky as hell.

Ctrl+Mousewheel is for swapping weapons, tiny menu appears on screen to indicate "Main/Secondary/Tertiary(rockets or whatever)"

The menu needs to have a key that's NOT spacebar (since that will be for Ladders/Doors/general Use), nor the mousewheel. I don't really care which one it'll be :P

But all the changes mentioned in this thread would really improve gameplay.

I hope devs see some of this :/

Indeed. ArmA3 claims to be all about streamlining the gameplay mechanics but they seem to have stopped at animation fluidity. Fighting the scroll menu to open only one of 3 nearby doors is not good design. It's like a not so fun guessing game. 3 doors in the list, hmm... I wonder which one I should choose to open the door I want to go through...

Fire Bad! Change also Bad! Me not like change to mah Arma! Me get angry now! RAWR!

Fire Bad! Change also Bad! Me not like change to mah Arma! Me get angry now! RAWR!

The funny thing is, ArmA 3 is the game where the recoil system turned bad. ArmA 2 was quite ok.

Indeed. ArmA3 claims to be all about streamlining the gameplay mechanics but they seem to have stopped at animation fluidity. Fighting the scroll menu to open only one of 3 nearby doors is not good design. It's like a not so fun guessing game. 3 doors in the list, hmm... I wonder which one I should choose to open the door I want to go through...

Oh, that's a perfect example.. Yeah, it needs to be: AIM at door and press SPACE to open, short animation where either one hand goes towards handle to simulate the entire door opening thing (it would be nice if it didn't lock your movement, so you could sort of "fast walk" through the door, action wins)

Do you have an example you could link easily? I can't remember seeing this anywhere :S

Was on one of the Dyslexic's Youtube videos, i think that was on this one:

- Community Guide 2 - Basic Infantry Combat:

I played them all, and I always hated the scroll menu.

For weapon selection I like how ACE did it, shift + number keys to directly access your weapons.

All I'm seeing is an irrational fear of change. I liked it well enough up until and through ArmA2 but that doesn't change the fact that it's bad design. I'm not suggesting removing it entirely but changing how it functions and what entries should appear in it. Basic actions like opening doors and climbing ladders should not be among them.