Sign in to follow this  
jblackrupert

Battlefield 4

Wanna see two funny things?

1:The narrators. Seriously, thats another level of idiotic marketing or something.

2: @5:30 the Levolution thing start. As soon the ship crash into land the destroyed building comes back to life to be destroyed again.

The Spec mode looks good.

So, let me get this straight.

"Levolution" is basically: Wind affects Trees + Scripted Storm on one map + Water not a plain surface but, even though unaffecting the beaches, dynamic + One skyscraper falling down in a scripted event?

DICE basically "sold a bunch of chocolate coins as a bunch of real money". All this features are not special and in no way a Revolution.

There's probably going to be more dynamic events than the skyscraper...

By the way unless you have evidence otherwise I don’t think that storm is particularly â€scripted.â€

And AFAIK Battlefield 3 has a lot more dynamic environment destruction than I've seen in ARMA.

Before Battlefield became immensely popular people actually liked that.

I don’t think levelution is going to be much more than a single dynamic event in every map that happens briefly and then it’s back to shooting each other as normal though.

But it’s a concept they could elaborate on.

Frostbite could easily render vibrant colors and do away with the flares aswell. It's just DICE/EA's crappy choice of visual style that screws it over.

I think it's awesome. A movie-like game with a movie-like better-than-life visual direction.

Battlefield is about living an action movie after all rather than trying to show reality.

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

2: @5:30 the Levolution thing start. As soon the ship crash into land the destroyed building comes back to life to be destroyed again.

"It's just alpha" ;) Remember hearing that somewhere?

There's probably going to be more dynamic events than the skyscraper...

By the way unless you have evidence otherwise I don’t think that storm is particularly â€scripted.â€

Well, the storm looks all the same, everytime. The ship crashes the same, everytime. Skyscraper crashes down the same, everytime. Could go on and on. So, it's scripted. It's not dynamic (variable due to angle of impacts, dynamic weather and so on).

And AFAIK Battlefield 3 has a lot more dynamic environment destruction than I've seen in ARMA.

No one denies that, but that is not a feature that you can sell as Levolution if you have it in the last 2-3 games.

T

Battlefield is about living an action movie after all rather than trying to show reality.

Now it is but until BF3 it was a great class based team oriented game without all the unlocks and leveling up. It was more about the game than about you, "The Hero".

I miss that and thought they`re were bringing that back in some aspects but it doesnt seems to anymore.

Oh well...

@Storms and co: World in Conflict had a system for the environment to change as the times goes by, starting a sunny day and ending in a stormy and dark one. Probably the same thing here. Nice but it is scripted, always the same thing.

The comments they made indicate that (while the skyscraper may fall the same each time) it is a user-initiated action, not something that just happens automatically. Destroy 4 support pillars and the tower comes down. Can be done at the very beginning of a match, at the end, or not at all. Also, I believe there are other smaller events that can be initiated by the user from what I have seen or heard mentioned. Taking out the power to a building and using night vision. There is one clip where someone shoots the roof out of a parking garage and a tank that was above falls down into it. I think those types of events are what they are referring to as "levolution". User-initiated actions that change the way the map plays, as opposed to simple building destruction, or the scripted falling of the antenna in Caspian Border.

I'm not sure about the ship crashing in to shore. I've heard that both ways... (that it is user initiated allowing it to let the waves take it into shore, and that it is a set action that happens at a certain point in the match). I did hear that it causes another objective point to be created when it does happen though. Not sure what that is about.

Not so much a fan of EA, but I'll give DICE credit where it is due. They've built an awesome engine, that is highly scale-able and is capable of performing well on (and taking good and proper advantage of) a wide range of machines. Sure is nice to see such a "small" game use so much more of my cpu resources when compared to Arma. They are ahead of the game there, and doing it right in that respect (in my opinion)... Building on a solid foundation, rather than one incapable of handling what is thrown at it. Honestly, after witnessing how walking around on an empty Agia Marina can start to tank my GPU usage, I wonder if Arma's engine could even render that city map from BF4 (the one where the skyscraper can be brought down) without being brought to its knees. Flame if you must... but, they've got a real nice engine. I wish Arma were built on a similarly forward-looking engine... then, I might actually be able to truly enjoy and love this game (which, I really want to be able to do)

Sure, Frostbite is really awesome and flexible, it is also used on NFS and C&C. They have the money and time to start a really modern engine from scratch with an eye on the future generations.

Anyways I'm going to give both Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts a chance.

Battlefield 3 was nice but I actually only played deathmatches without vehicles because the only couple of times I tried playing with vehicles I was destroyed by airplanes and it wasn’t even.

I’ve bought Battlefield 3 with all the extra content cheaply and I’m going to try playing throughout Battlefield 4 and maybe play the beta.

So I’ll be playing both all sorts of games and both ARMA, Battlefield 3 and 4 at the same time and it’s going to be a very intense season I guess.

The last CoD I played was 4 a couple of years ago and only singleplayer. Deserves a new chance.

Maybe ARMA and Battlefield 3 September, Battlefield 4 October and Call of Duty November and carry over whatever I like to the next month… not to mention GTA V and everything else.

Not many good games this last two years but my catch-up playlist is too long anyways.

I'm not sure about the ship crashing in to shore. I've heard that both ways... (that it is user initiated allowing it to let the waves take it into shore, and that it is a set action that happens at a certain point in the match). I did hear that it causes another objective point to be created when it does happen though. Not sure what that is about.

The ship is broken at the beginning and stuck at a off-shore wind turbine. The turbine gets broken as soon as the storm is at its highest, the ship is breaking loose and start crashing into the sea.

FCUK DICE AND EA, Money grabbing Sums o Bitches, I have abandoned Origin many moons ago,

But I will say that the players from BF3 who come to Arma are always the one's who bitch and moan about CAMPING THIS N CAMPING THAT.

I will enjoy the kills I get from these BF3 , COD........ect

ARMA series cannot be compared to FPS, this it is not

It's not a d***, don't take it so hard.

I also experience that player that are coming from BF3 and CoD and whatsoever are not playing well and wouldn't be able to play at UO and Co. AT THE BEGINNING. Because that's what FNGs are, they are new. Of course they can't play the game right. They have to learn and adapt to the way of how ArmA is played. If they keep on playing Domination on Public servers it's no wonder that they won't improve. Also about the camping: I agree, but I think the vast majority of casual players from casual games are just laying down with a Medic/Sniper/AT/AA/LMG Mix inside the mountains and snipe. It's getting reduced by ACE but it's still horrible. I personally will never play public again and will certainly never play outside of a community like UO.

PS: Your signature owns your own post.

Edited by Brain

Then let us just hope Michael Bay stays out of the game.

JJ Abrams would love it.

Wanna see two funny things?

I died on the bit about the boat gunner, so true...ah the bf2 memories.

Edited by NodUnit

Definatly gettin this..to satisfy my run n gun gameplay 8)-Anybody else get the "new" BF4 beta acces9unreleased) on the my games in origin? I have all aexps for 3 just curious if the beta came as a perk for gettin all them. Also this video loks preety amazing liking the gameplay effects to enviorment there doing.

Definatly gettin this..to satisfy my run n gun gameplay 8)-Anybody else get the "new" BF4 beta acces9unreleased) on the my games in origin? I have all aexps for 3 just curious if the beta came as a perk for gettin all them. Also this video loks preety amazing liking the gameplay effects to enviorment there doing.

I literally have no idea what you are trying to say. Take your time to spellcheck or just don't try to break the soundbarrier while typing. :D

Which one has the more money grubbing expansion and DLC policies though.. I wonder.

So I recently picked up BF3 for cheap as part of the Humble Origin Bundle*. I must be one of the few people who is not interested in BF3's (or any other game's) multiplayer, so I've just been concentrating on the SP campaign. Apart from the outrageously slow Origin download and annoyance of logging in to bloody BattleLog, I really really like the SP. It has to be up there as one of the most technically accomplished rails shooters I've played. Beautiful cinematic graphics and environments, immersive sound, great voice acting, great animations. It's got the usual hackneyed US vs them storyline but delivered with decent conviction. I really have no idea where the BF3 SP hate came from. I went from not giving a shit about BF4 to actually being interested in the BF4 SP too, especially since the devs have stated they'll focus on the SP story more for this release.

* Also really liked Medal of Honour in the bundle.

Oh yeah, I actually think MoH is one of those unjusticed games out there. Both SP and MP,despite it flaws, are simple and solid enough to spend some hours into it.

And never having too much time on BF3's MP before this Bundle the only thing I can say is: Visual overload. Seriously, everything explode or glows too much, all those indicadors for everything, heavy usage of post-processing combined with the forced action pace it has, it is too much for me. I thought they were slowing BF4 down a little but it doesn't seems so, probably gonna skip this one too.

And never having too much time on BF3's MP before this Bundle the only thing I can say is: Visual overload. Seriously, everything explode or glows too much, all those indicadors for everything, heavy usage of post-processing combined with the forced action pace it has, it is too much for me. I thought they were slowing BF4 down a little but it doesn't seems so, probably gonna skip this one too.

Yes, it reminds me of Space Invaders - shooting at yellow or blue glowing triangles...Although SI were more fun. Probably the only things they slowed down would be the already-slow-as-molasses jets...

So I recently picked up BF3 for cheap as part of the Humble Origin Bundle*. I must be one of the few people who is not interested in BF3's (or any other game's) multiplayer, so I've just been concentrating on the SP campaign. Apart from the outrageously slow Origin download and annoyance of logging in to bloody BattleLog, I really really like the SP. It has to be up there as one of the most technically accomplished rails shooters I've played. Beautiful cinematic graphics and environments, immersive sound, great voice acting, great animations. It's got the usual hackneyed US vs them storyline but delivered with decent conviction. I really have no idea where the BF3 SP hate came from. I went from not giving a shit about BF4 to actually being interested in the BF4 SP too, especially since the devs have stated they'll focus on the SP story more for this release.

The first 'new' MoH is one of the more underrated games out there.

The SP was absolutely first rate and the only real crime it committed was ending way too early.

MoH: Warfighter (the sequel) on the other hand, was an unmitigated piece of shit.

Lending credence to the proverb 'every cloud has a silver lining' however, it did provoke Bro Team to make one of their funniest 'reviews' ever ;)

Edited by BangTail

The first 'new' MoH is one of the more underrated games out there.

The SP was absolutely first rate and the only real crime it committed was ending way too early.

MoH: Warfighter (the sequel) on the other hand, was an unmitigated piece of shit.

Lending credence to the proverb 'every cloud has a silver lining' however, it did provoke Bro Team to make one of their funniest 'reviews' ever ;)

Thanks for the laugh! I'd heard Warfighter was shit.

Most of the hate in general comes from how restricted battlefield 3 was from the previous games, especially the single player. For example on the first mission, say your first thought was to flank the enemy while friendlies draw their fire, rather than going up onto the humvee to sit in an easily snipeable spot, if you do so then you are given a warning to return to the battlefield or something like that. The scene with the F-18 was amazing I'll give them that..that is until it became an on rails point and click adventure with a pilot so inept that he can't loop because the enemy pulled a drag maneuver (they actually lose a lot of speed when they do that) but worst of all is how you can only sit there and watch, able to tap flares for some...reason while the pilot does the same thing again and again, if you screw up then no biggie, it just repeats.

So yeah thats where most of the hate stems from, how restricted the campaign was.

That and many people didn't see it as necessary, a waste of dev times considering none of the previous BF games had a single player to speak of outside of playing the smallest version of the map with a few bots.

(and a lot of cod fans say it was a ripoff of black ops 1)

Most of the hate in general comes from how restricted battlefield 3 was from the previous games, especially the single player. For example on the first mission, say your first thought was to flank the enemy while friendlies draw their fire, rather than going up onto the humvee to sit in an easily snipeable spot, if you do so then you are given a warning to return to the battlefield or something like that. The scene with the F-18 was amazing I'll give them that..that is until it became an on rails point and click adventure with a pilot so inept that he can't loop because the enemy pulled a drag maneuver (they actually lose a lot of speed when they do that) but worst of all is how you can only sit there and watch, able to tap flares for some...reason while the pilot does the same thing again and again, if you screw up then no biggie, it just repeats.

So yeah thats where most of the hate stems from, how restricted the campaign was.

That and many people didn't see it as necessary, a waste of dev times considering none of the previous BF games had a single player to speak of outside of playing the smallest version of the map with a few bots.

Fair enough points. For me, I just approach these kind of on rails games as interactive movies, and as an interactive movie, I thought BF3 SP was pretty good.

One of the worst things about playing BF3 single-player was indeed the aircraft segment, because it was more obviously on-rails than the tank segments, which gave at least the illusion of "freedom of maneuver" (even if the effective only real direction was forward)... the immersion-breaking moment was when the NPC pilot would claim "guns! guns!"... only for him to be the one directing where you were aiming by virtue of him being the one piloting the aircraft.