k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Here are some screenshots I made. http://imgur.com/a/4VDcZ

As you can see those are pretty high settings and I was facing the Island while standing in the base. So more then 35 FPS was difficult at that moment.

Really? When people post pics comparisons like this it makes me wonder if your a undercover Bohemia employee trying to make people think its not the engine and actually there computer.

Maybe the "speed step" option does make a difference but those two screen shots are completely different as in the scenario. In the first picture there's almost no one there and in the second you have two helos infront of you with people around them. Who knows what else could of been happening around you. Try using a ingame benchmark like Arma3mark and see if you get a difference. http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151794-ArmA3Mark-Benchmark-your-ArmA-3

Those guys made no difference. I simply didn't want to wait for them to leave. I'm not saying I have a solution for everyone. It's definitely working for me.

Here are some more screens I made with default clock speed. http://imgur.com/a/NDNlP This mission had a lot less FPS and the direction I'm facing gave me pretty low FPS. 90° to the left or right was above 30.

I will make a test with Helos mission, but I don't expect that big of a difference in SP. While on those MP missions using that scripted "Virtual Ammobox" it takes a lot of time to display every one of those in the list. While at 9 FPS it takes ages to refresh after you clicked another category. Without Speedstep and ~30 FPS even this Ammobox script works pretty smooth for me.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Try using a ingame benchmark like Arma3mark and see if you get a difference.

5 runs with Speedstep ON and 5 with OFF.

ON: 34, 34, 34, 28, 30 - ∅ 32

I ignored one attempt with 22 FPS and made another one

OFF: 41, 41, 40, 42, 42 - ∅ 41

Screenshots with settings http://imgur.com/a/9wNrL

Edited by The Firestarter

Ok I tested it as well. Specs similar to yours:

i7-3770K (@4.4GHz)

16GB

SSD

GTX670

Video settings similar to yours, but my object draw distance is higher. I did 3 runs with on, and 3 with off:

ON 47, 46, 47

OFF 47, 45, 47

Unfortunately, this does nothing for me.

Looking at your frames it seems that you don't have the problem I had. Those frames where impossible for me before.

Edited by The Firestarter

HC is a poor solution until it is easier to use, and is properly implemented and documented.

If it works well then why is it a poor solution?

If it works well then why is it a poor solution?

Because it is difficult to use, requires a second account and had little to no documentation available.

Arma 3 performance is getting worse and worse with every single patch so I have to give up because it's completely unplayable for me at this stage. I'll better stay with Arma 2. Maybe one day in the future (patch 1.99) performance will be good enough to play Arma 3 but at the moment it's just waste of my time. BIS should make this game playable first and then start adding all of rifles, units, tanks, UAVs, new helmets or whatever else.

Arma 3 performance is getting worse and worse with every single patch so I have to give up because it's completely unplayable for me at this stage. I'll better stay with Arma 2. Maybe one day in the future (patch 1.99) performance will be good enough to play Arma 3 but at the moment it's just waste of my time. BIS should make this game playable first and then start adding all of rifles, units, tanks, UAVs, new helmets or whatever else.

I doubt it.

In Alpha post-processing did a big number on the framerate but now it doesn't do anything. Sounds like improvement to me.

And soon there will be no more Alpha/Beta excuse.

Guy I noticed a problen, my GPU stay in downcloked when I play arma 3 (like 200 mhz (it have 720)) a gtx 460 i will try force always use 720 and see if I see improvement

Although the game generally performs well for me, I have noticed two weird performance-related issues that may be affecting others aswell:

1. Sometimes I will start the game and experience some noticable stuttering, even though the framerate looks fine. Alt+tabbing out and back in again usually fixes this.

2. Playing in "fullscreen window" mode halves my framerate (reduced GPU usage). Switching back to proper fullscreen mode fixes this reliably. Not sure how normal windowed mode might be affected.

Just thought I'd post this in case someone happens to be experiencing stuttering or is running fullscreen window and experiencing framerate issues. Might help, might not.

Another SITREP, probably one of the latest before release and not even mention about performance issues.

This is getting old.

It's probably safe to say that nothing will be improved upon release if we look how devs ignoring this issue, and please dont tell me you're working on it since 1 year passed and i dont see any real improvements and i'm here since day 1 when pre-alpha started.

So can you atleast say if the "work" you have done on optimization is in game already (so any hope is gone) or it's waiting to be deployed?

Edited by k3lt

Guy I noticed a problen, my GPU stay in downcloked when I play arma 3 (like 200 mhz (it have 720)) a gtx 460 i will try force always use 720 and see if I see improvement

Well if I force 720 it only use 30~~35% that is the same as 230 roughly that it used if the gpu don't go full clocked, but i realized that if I turn on the AA, it use more gpu but don't affect frame rate (that is why ppl say the AA don't eat fps anymore)

will full release be any better performance wise? as in optimization?? (dev question)

will full release be any better performance wise? as in optimization?? (dev question)

Unless they are intentionally holding back some secret performance optimizations, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

The full release isn't much more than a development milestone, just as the switch from alpha to beta was. It'll still be the same game we have now, except with more stuff.

There is no magic switch they will suddenly decide to flip when the game comes out of beta. Any performance improvements they may be working on could hit us either before or after release.

The situation is pretty clear. Bohemia supports nVidia and not ATI. No equal competition in sight. Im disappointed.

The situation is pretty clear. Bohemia supports nVidia and not ATI. No equal competition in sight. Im disappointed.

I don't know about the GPU but it's pretty clear from reports that you want an Intel i5 or i7 to play A3, so if you're right about the GPU that means it really requires nVidia GPU and Intel CPU.

What about that optimization blog we were promised like 2 months ago? He still doesn't have time to make it? Lol right....

what got in mind ? i have HD7850s ;)

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

What about that optimization blog we were promised like 2 months ago? He still doesn't have time to make it? Lol right....

i'm sorry that he is fixing crashes and optimizing the game instead ... really ...

i'm sorry that he is fixing crashes and optimizing the game instead ... really ...

Can you *please* give us some information on the progress of this and/or what problems were identified? You indicated over 5 months ago that you had personal knowledge of an issue found with the engine and that it would be fixed. Can you please clue us in to what you know since they are too busy "fixing" it?

I hope you can appreciate our skepticism after this many months (years, really)

You want to say that in 2 months he couldn't put away 2 hours aside to write a blog? Really?! I'm starting to think he has nothing positive to say rather than not having time to write it. I hope I'm wrong...

You want to say that in 2 months he couldn't put away 2 hours aside to write a blog? Really?! I'm starting to think he has nothing positive to say rather than not having time to write it. I hope I'm wrong...

Stop being obnoxoius.

You know nothing of BIS working conditions or personal lives.

well if the guy has been working every single second of every single working day for the last 2 months on nothing but optimisation where are the improvements? I still drop 50% frames if i look at agia marina. Im not looking forward to Altis frankly.

You cannot say that it has been worked on SOLIDLY without cessation and have nothing to show for it. It just sounds ridiculous.

Stop being obnoxoius.

You know nothing of BIS working conditions or personal lives.

Obnoxious? I'm asking a legit question...