Lenyoga

Operation SHOCK (Full Mod + Campaign)

edit: nevermind, I've seen you know of it well (post can be deleted)

Edited by noob1

I'm on a little break right now, too hot, too work, too braindamage.

But well, the project will continue and I now also found a few free texture packs and got permission from Josh Randall to use some Shock 2 music samples. If you have any further ideas or input, now is the time. I'll get back to it as soon as I'm capable of more than just sweating and being sarcastic towards customers.

• Like 1

I just tried out the demo. Excellent. Really impressed with what you've done. Even though it's a small package, it really has a special quality. I think that has a lot to do with the overall look and feel. Whether it's the front end, or the interaction with items, or the environment, it has a cohesiveness to it. The MFD and various dialogs add even more polish.

Although there's been really fantastic mods and addons over the years, this is something that's really got my attention. I'd consider it more of a total conversion than a mod. Even the intros have atmosphere. It really feels like the original title.

Well done sir.  :)

• Like 2

This mod (or, as mentioned by Maczer, quite the Total Conversion) would really benefit from a custom skybox for the space exteriors. I mean a small one to use in the scenes with the spaceship. And probably a plane with a space texture for windows exteriors .

Other than that, it looks and feels more polished than before. There's still the problem with items not popping up on the actions menu until after a while (particularly the psi-amp), and being able to grab them through walls (the pistol, maybe you could place a crate in the other side of the wall to prevent this).

BTW, to display videos in threads now you just need to paste the video URL. For the trailer in your first post it would be:

I've taken some screnshots. Album here: https://imgur.com/a/3ffrq

Selections:
jLvdjUR.jpg
hAMAE9D.jpg
IE1WsXS.jpg
T6Yh52G.jpg
s5gKswc.jpg

• Like 2

I just tried out the demo. Excellent. Really impressed with what you've done. Even though it's a small package, it really has a special quality. I think that has a lot to do with the overall look and feel. Whether it's the front end, or the interaction with items, or the environment, it has a cohesiveness to it. The MFD and various dialogs add even more polish.

Although there's been really fantastic mods and addons over the years, this is something that's really got my attention. I'd consider it more of a total conversion than a mod. Even the intros have atmosphere. It really feels like the original title.

Well done sir.  :)

Thank you very much for the kind words!

This mod (or, as mentioned by Maczer, quite the Total Conversion) would really benefit from a custom skybox for the space exteriors. I mean a small one to use in the scenes with the spaceship. And probably a plane with a space texture for windows exteriors .

Other than that, it looks and feels more polished than before. There's still the problem with items not popping up on the actions menu until after a while (particularly the psi-amp), and being able to grab them through walls (the pistol, maybe you could place a crate in the other side of the wall to prevent this).

I've taken some screnshots. Album here: https://imgur.com/a/3ffrq#8

Thank you! The screenshots are awesome!

I'm still working on a usable skybox and half-box for windows and spaceship sections - there's only a slight problem with handling the floor outside the windows of the first spaceship corridor.

I've experienced the issue with the med hypo too, I'm not quite sure what it is, I suspect the player unit has to partly identify the object before picking up, so I'll try having him reveal it via trigger. And the crate ... oops. I should have gotten that one.

I've experienced the issue with the med hypo too, I'm not quite sure what it is, I suspect the player unit has to partly identify the object before picking up, so I'll try having him reveal it via trigger.

You should be able to fix this by revealing items to the player, either in the editor or when you spawn them. Via:

Just by placing the reveal part ((group player) reveal this) in the init of the item or when you spawn it should be enough. No need for triggers. Are you doing that already?

Other things I forgot to mention:

You might want to change the facial expression of some of the units, such as the one in the ship bridge. The default expression randomly chooses between several "mimics", and units tend to look more happy than you might want to. You can change facial expression via:

this setMimic "angry";

... or whatever. See setMimic for the full list.

You might also want to create a new script that changes the z pos of units, as that's something you do a lot and it takes a lot of the init field space. You could also group that with the mimic and other features, so you kill several birds with one shot. Say you create a script named "initUnit.sqs". It could include:

; Set unit height and mimic (both parameters are optional)
; It defaults to height 0 and mimic "normal"

_unit = _this select 0;
_height = if(count _this>1)then{_this select 1}else{0};
_mimic = if(count _this>2)then{_this select 2}else{"Normal"};
; any other parameter you need

_unit setPos [getPos _unit select 0, getPos _unit select 1,_height];
_unit setMimic _mimic;
; any other command you want to execute on the unit

exit;

Then you would call it via:

[this,16,"angry"] exec "initUnit.sqs";
  • Like 1

Just by placing the reveal part ((group player) reveal this) in the init of the item or when you spawn it should be enough. No need for triggers. Are you doing that already?

Other things I forgot to mention:

You might want to change the facial expression of some of the units, such as the one in the ship bridge. The default expression randomly chooses between several "mimics", and units tend to look more happy than you might want to. You can change facial expression via:

this setMimic "angry";

... or whatever. See setMimic for the full list.

I tried the reveal command in the init field, but I fear the player forgets about the objects after some time. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I'll do some testing via the knowsAbout command as soon as I've got some time. I completely forgot about the mimics ... I did it for some units, but forgot it for others...

You might also want to create a new script that changes the z pos of units, as that's something you do a lot and it takes a lot of the init field space. You could also group that with the mimic and other features, so you kill several birds with one shot. Say you create a script named "initUnit.sqs". It could include:

; Set unit height and mimic (both parameters are optional)
; It defaults to height 0 and mimic "normal"

_unit = _this select 0;
_height = if(count _this>1)then{_this select 1}else{0};
_mimic = if(count _this>2)then{_this select 2}else{"Normal"};
; any other parameter you need

_unit setPos [getPos _unit select 0, getPos _unit select 1,_height];
_unit setMimic _mimic;
; any other command you want to execute on the unit

exit;

Then you would call it via:

[this,16,"angry"] exec "initUnit.sqs";

This is a great idea, I'll be sure to implement it.

I tried the reveal command in the init field, but I fear the player forgets about the objects after some time. I'm not quite sure what it is, but I'll do some testing via the knowsAbout command as soon as I've got some time. I completely forgot about the mimics ... I did it for some units, but forgot it for others...

That's weird. But note that I've only found problems with the psi-amp. It only appears after all the initial speech you set up in the mission is done. The rest seem to work ok. There's problems with some of the med hypos in the infirmary, but I think that's just related to the reduced interaction range you set up to avoid glitching through walls.

About embedding videos: You need to use the full URL of the video for this to work. Not the "embed" one or the shorter one found in "share". Just copy paste the URL as shown on the address bar of your browser.

Example:

That's weird. But note that I've only found problems with the psi-amp. It only appears after all the initial speech you set up in the mission is done. The rest seem to work ok. There's problems with some of the med hypos in the infirmary, but I think that's just related to the reduced interaction range you set up to avoid glitching through walls.

About embedding videos: You need to use the full URL of the video for this to work. Not the "embed" one or the shorter one found in "share". Just copy paste the URL as shown on the address bar of your browser.

Finally I got it right, thanks.

I've also only encountered the problem with the Med Hypos if I jumped to that part for debug purposes. Maybe there's some init time issue too? I'll give it some tests and torture it once I can. Right now I have to go and passive-aggressively insult people who shout at me over the phone.

nice job, a very particular mod with a fantastic work on GUI and a new kind of play. I love it !!!!! what kind of great Scifi work could have been made with such experienced addonmaker like you or Maczer

Congratulation on a great mod for OFP. Really enjoyed trying to figure out the game mechanics playing the mission. Really impressive!

STGN

I am impressed that the OFP forum is still as healthy as ever, and that we now have even a Dune and System Shock total coversion. Awesome work, guys ! B) I haven't been on the forum for ages, but this is really uplifting to see.

I am impressed that the OFP forum is still as healthy as ever, and that we now have even a Dune and System Shock total coversion. Awesome work, guys ! B) I haven't been on the forum for ages, but this is really uplifting to see.

Dune is turning out great so far!

I just hope I'll soon have the time and energy again to continue the System Shock missions. Compulsory unpaid overhours in the last months have drained my life energy to a point where the only activities I can still do without too much effort are overeating and staring at walls. And I'm getting pretty good at that wall thing.

The campaing is mostly laid out, though. The current plan is 5 larger missions, maybe 7 to 9 in total for various parts that don't fit into standard missions.

Okay, I've finally come back to let you know that I've given up...

... on delaying work on this project any further. Too much stress with the old job and too many things with the new job, but I've finally begun on the first level on the space station. I cannot give any planned release dates or similar, too many variables, too many.

A little first look on the engineering level WIP so far (current Blender version, shading and lighting is different in OFP/CWA of course).

engineering1_zpsms1kiebh.jpg

• Like 4

Okay, I've finally come back to let you know that I've given up...

You got me here, for a moment... :)

Good luck!

Nice play on words there . :D

Good to see your interest revitalised.

Do you use tiling textures for the walls by the way? If not, baking some lighting into the textures might enhance the mood and reduce the need for "live" light sources. Blender can bake the effect of lights/shadow into a composite diffuse texture. Basically the intensity, colour and shadow from the lights get overlayed onto the raw diffuse. After that you'd set all the geometry to "shining" (shadeless). Which would stop any shading artifacts ruining the illusion. It's an old trick. But could suit this type of scenario.

Essentially you get what you see in the viewport, when shading is set to material.

Nice play on words there . :D

Good to see your interest revitalised.

Do you use tiling textures for the walls by the way? If not, baking some lighting into the textures might enhance the mood and reduce the need for "live" light sources. Blender can bake the effect of lights/shadow into a composite diffuse texture. Basically the intensity, colour and shadow from the lights get overlayed onto the raw diffuse. After that you'd set all the geometry to "shining" (shadeless). Which would stop any shading artifacts ruining the illusion. It's an old trick. But could suit this type of scenario.

Essentially you get what you see in the viewport, when shading is set to material.

It's about 80:20 - most are repeating tiles. I thought about baking some lighting in, but it wouldn't fit together with the areas that depend on dynamic light sources. I will probably still do that (at least partially) for smaller objects or unique rooms. I just have to find the right balance of visual styles, so there's no harsh unpleasant contrast.

Edit: Tried out Bandicamp with full resolution. It miraculously works on Windows 7:

Edited by lenyoga
  • Like 3

Is this OFP or Doom 3 engine?  :P

Great work man, that pre-baked lighting improves the look a lot. You could also go for some specularity on the walls if you wanted to further enhance it. 

• Like 1

A few new updates,

-- weapon dexterity modified: the heavy ones feel heavier, the lighter ones are moved on target faster.
-- shotgun less inaccurate
-- large door scripts adapted for multiple heights
-- male face blood textures improved (no more whole-face-blown-off textures)

-- grav shaft added. No issues on my PC, only if Fraps causes a framerate drop. The velocity function is a bit too sensitive for such things, I might look for another way of doing it - remind me to try and use a fully rtm-based or setpos-based solution if all else fails.

-- cyborg (basic enemy unit) model finished, scripts and sound not yet implemented.

-- new player model for the first few sections of the station.

Video evidence of some:

• Like 5

No more pizza man? We'll miss him...

I'm more concerned with that subliminal message in very last frame of video though... :)

No more pizza man? We'll miss him...

I'm more concerned with that subliminal message in very last frame of video though... :)

You make it sound so delicious...

I used to regard caffeine as a substance that merely caused psychotic episodes, but now I have accepted it as the source of purpose itself. It drives me, binds me to reality.

I came across an issue - the female units all have the same face texture. A possible cause could be the lack of defined identities in the config. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I can. The UNN now has 200 Czech women on the payroll.

You make it sound so delicious...

I used to regard caffeine as a substance that merely caused psychotic episodes, but now I have accepted it as the source of purpose itself. It drives me, binds me to reality.

I came across an issue - the female units all have the same face texture. A possible cause could be the lack of defined identities in the config. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: I can. The UNN now has 200 Czech women on the payroll.

Yeah. Variety of women is the spice of life. :p ... oh wait, I'm married. Still, though. A single female cloned for all of the female personnel on the UNN payroll would probably cost more than hiring individuals. :p Not sure, though. It's been years since I even played System Shock (more like watched friends play it), therefore I don't remember too much, if any, of the lore. :p

Also, yes. Caffeine is my entire existence when it comes to my everyday life - even if it's a minuscule amount. Great work on the mod!

• Like 2

I've been drinking tea the whole time, it's no wonder I can't get anything done. But the last time I drank coffee whilst editing I ended up putting predators with flying saucers in my missions. Which is cool, but doesn't really belong in a cold war crisis scenario. Or maybe it does...

• Like 3