Lenyoga

Operation SHOCK (Full Mod + Campaign)

Again.Great work.Lots of nice detail without going bananas on the polycount.

So the small display to the left,visually updates the ammo count,yes?

About the blue green area.You could use Blender to paint some of the glow colour

onto the surrounding area.It's a cheap way to sell the illusion of a light source.

:)

Ah, good idea about the lighting - I might also add some subtle flare effect to the gun model. And yes, the ammo count actually goes down (I'm using the revolving axis introduced for grenade launchers and I think the revolver in Resistance) - the only problem is that it jumps back to 90 once it's empty, I couldn't solve this by using modelSpecial either, which should show up with a 0 count when it's empty (the loaded model isn't animated in that case.) I simply added auto-reload to somehow confront that issue at least a bit.

I already tried it out in the demo mission - deadly results for everyone, just the way I like it.

The turret model has been improved to look more like the Shock 2 turrets.

turretnew_zpsg2vejmng.jpg

The next thing I'm trying to do is to fix weapon pickups - I'll use objects with actions that check for inventory slots and then simply spawn the weapon in the player's inventory. That should get rid of any visual bugs and pickup problems with the weapons. I'll have to do some more experiments with ammo objects to see if there are any problems too.

Lovely work yet again. :)

Would your budget allow for some fake shadows?

A single plane with an alpha texture could serve as a fake shadow for non-moving objects like the turrets,tables,etc.It might make those items sit better into the environment.One circular and one rectangular texture could cover most instances.

It works well enough on characters.Although I don't know if there'd be any issues with alpha sorting in your environments.

A single plane with an alpha texture could serve as a fake shadow for non-moving objects like the turrets,tables,etc.It might make those items sit better into the environment.One circular and one rectangular texture could cover most instances.

It works well enough on characters.Although I don't know if there'd be any issues with alpha sorting in your environments.

Good idea, I might try that. The next few interiors will probably also get some static shadows or more detailed, individual textures (which might cause less issues.) And alpha sorting ... it's kind of like Russian roulette, but with a Glock. Always goes wrong.

I also identified the exact circumstances of the invisible weapon bug. It'll probably be solved once I place proper ammo boxes instead of invisible weapon holder that seem to reset gun models with each reload, if those guns have been picked up.

I have to admit that I use the editor a lot. I recently put 2 turrets at the intersection of a small village on Nogova and watched two U.S. Army squads get mowed down. I wonder what a whole defensive wall would do.

I have to admit that I use the editor a lot. I recently put 2 turrets at the intersection of a small village on Nogova and watched two U.S. Army squads get mowed down. I wonder what a whole defensive wall would do.

I just played around with this too, also added the reworked fusion cannon in for fun. Clusterfun.

The invisible weapon bug now has a functional workaround, I placed custom ammo boxes for the weapons instead of spawning them on the ground with an invisible weaponholder. Same for the magazine objects.

So, all the surfaces now have fitting footstep sounds, blood puddles included. Thanks to some good input I've also started cleaning up the scripts. The only thing I can't seem to get quite right is the psi amp. Placing the magazines is no problem, but replacing them with higher-level copies if the player decides to upgrade his psi skill is a bit of a headache. I'm thinking of throwing the lower level psi amp weapons out and just using one main weapon which is then dependent on scripts which would block the higher level skills at lower levels, add more damage and effects to the lower level skills if the player is at a higher level. Feels like a better solution to me than to swap magazines in the inventory and all over the map.

Oh, I've added mission objectives and tutorial notes for the briefing clipboard too, it somewhat diminishes the cold water effect, but not the overall difficulty.

Sounds good (no pun intended). Except maybe the part about skating around in blood puddles. :)

For the upgrade issue, I suppose it's best to go with the method you have the most control over.

Which seems to be the main weapon with some scripting.

I assume the "cold water effect" is a reference to being thrown in at the deep end? Starting off not knowing what's going on?

I assume the "cold water effect" is a reference to being thrown in at the deep end? Starting off not knowing what's going on?

Exactly that, now at least it lets you know that you have to shut off the evil AI and so on, and there are briefing sections on how to hack, use the interface, etc. While it's true that I'm a sadist, I should at least give the player something...

I've got the new psi amp concept planned out now, I'll play around with it today and see what comes out of it. (I like long weekends)

So, although that fire in the building was rather distracting, the Psi Amp system is now renewed and fully functional (freezing and turning around enemies now works too.) The custom weapon description entries have been fixed and renewed too, the pics are now fitting the new 3d versions of the guns.

So, although that fire in the building was rather distracting

Fires, floods, earthquakes, locust - a usual day from the life of addonmaker?

But seriously, I hope nobody was harmed.

Fires, floods, earthquakes, locust - a usual day from the life of addonmaker?

But seriously, I hope nobody was harmed.

I don't think anybody was hurt, they pretty much evacuated everyone. Except for my friend and me... I don't think they like us very much.

But hey, today was a modding day, the UNN soldier models have been reworked too - soon I can release a more final version of the first mission.

MainCharacterNew_zpsnhlailjd.jpg

Going to try this out, looks very interesting.

Another fix for the fix list, the security bots and protocol droids now have functional sound scripts and move properly. Now that the security bot isn't stationary anymore, it quickly cut off my exit from the blue light room and shot me down - which doubles the fun.

Next up are some visual improvements for the intro/outro sections.

So, the whole crew is finished now. Cyborg Assassins and robots will get an upgrade too, then it's just a few more things until the next release.

ShockCrew_zpspfgim9rj.jpg

There's too much lack of death on those NPCs :P

Great job with the textures!

There's too much lack of death on those NPCs :P

There are quite a few ways to solve that problem, one being the newly reworked cyborg assassins:

cybassassin_zps0y1wb4sj.jpg

Still have to rework the scripts and sound for those things, though. And probably animations, too, now that this is a bit easier with Blender.

The updated release is now ready, look at the first page for fixes and download link.

Thanks a lot, dlded, i'll try it asap :)

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

A quick try : i'm extremely impressed by the quality and polish of what you have achieved, from the wonderful GUI to the units and atmosphere. I must really struggle to realize i'm still playing Ofp ! Gameplaywise, I still can't use the psi thingy during the training, and i suck at destroying the ground turrets, but it's very fun and refreshing to play:cool:

Really nice update of the models, textures, lighting and intro scenes. But I must ask, will there be some material settings for surfaces and models too? Because I feel your mod would really benefit from some extra visual flair. :)

And here it comes again! That's how I'll look for upcoming hours! :cylon:

Some random thoughts:

1. Year log could be a little slower (I don't know if You slowed it already)

2. Shooting training still lack shoot the target order (yeah, I' have an obsession)

3. Hacking training - while all info is already in notes, it could be even better to hear them too (also that hints after hacking the turret)

4. While we're at notes - why not including Marietta data-file in Shock GUI notes module?

5. Oh, and one thing I'd kill for - FWatch support for opening the GUI and/or hacking terminal (returning the terminal often closes it - I have to use middle mouse button)

@Prof.T:

You're probably using higher level psi forces - for me health regenerating and cryokinesis work OK.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

As for the material settings, I've tried those out - they looked good on most surfaces, but caused some sort of distortion for objects with 100% black surfaces with .pac and .paa overlays - the star map in the administrator's office was all blurry for example. I've put the whole material fun on hold until I've figured out a workaround.

@krzychuzokecia I kind of forgot slowing the intro sections ... but that won't be a problem, there's one or two things I'll have to do about the music anyway, so that'll be reworked. 2 - I think I'll have the target unit say something, I kind of misplaced the exact chain of audio effects I used for the voice in that part... 3 - same voice and laziness issue, 4 - good idea, that'll definitely go in there. 5 - I have absolutely no experience with FWatch, but I could try and look into it.

Next up will be the design for the space station, I'm not exactly sure about the different sections yet.