Sign in to follow this  
kroky

POLL: Do you play ArmAII with ACE2 always on?

Do you play ArmA II with ACE2 always on?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play ArmA II with ACE2 always on?

• No, I use ACE2 only with missions made for it
    • Yes, I start ArmA II always with ACE2 on
    • Yes, I start ArmA II always with ACE + ASR_AI on

But someone well connected to BIS once told me that when CodeMasters and BIS split, the creative campaign builders went with CM, leaving the "tech" guys with BIS. Which is why there hasn't been a Resistance-like campaign in like ~10 years, and more focus on the game as a mod platform. Wait until you play CWR2 Resistance campaign being converted to A2 by SaOK. It blew my socks right off, but at the same time I could see what A2 (and A1) campaigns could have been like, but weren't.

Not really. "Creative campaign builders" did a mediocre Red Hammer campaign which nobody seem to be caring about. Good campaign designers left BIS after ArmA1 release.

If I'm not mistaken Viktor Bocan was responsible for OFP mission design and ArmA1 still had it in a way and he pretty much left after it and we saw an instant drop in mission quality when the crappy Queen's Gambit got released.

My knowledge of the BIS OFP, the CM-BIS split, and ArmA 1 (never played it) is very cloudy at best. Most of what I know about them is from CWR2. And it certainly appears that CM games (Dragon Rising, Red Hammer, and all that) weren't that good, including campaigns, although I have never played any of them, either. Where is Bocan now?

So it looks like the best stuff (Resistance/CWC) was where Bocan was teamed with BIS? If so, I wonder why the A1 campaign wasn't (apparently) well received?

---------- Post added at 09:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Bear Rising is a fun Mission. If I only knew how to disable fast travel for the AI, or everyone....

AI can fast travel? Never knew that. I thought it was just spawning or something....

The A1 campaign was not that well received because it contained quite a few missions where the player was given odd assignments which did not appear to make military sense (and in a game it is just the appearance that counts) and some strange weapon selections options in the briefing: it gave the player the option to choose various items from the OPFOR inventory, but not the more logical option of picking weaponry from the BLUFOR arsenal. For this reason the Armed Assault campaign was less satisfying to play then the CWC campaign where the tasks for many missions succeeded in establishing a willing suspension of disbelief. A back handed compliment to the Armed Assault campaign is that it did inspire me to take up mission making.

Regards,

Sander

Well, hats off to the A1 campaign then! There are many ways in which a campaign can benefit the community! :)

More T-90 Refleks action below. A fun way to get up close and personal from long range. Now available in ArmA 2, guidable by player with Auto Guide AT disabled, thanks to A2CCP.

j0BJL8npRRI

Edited by OMAC

ACE is the only reason I still play Arma 2. truth be told, I would've dropped Arma 2 long ago, but ACE provides so much needed depth to my Arma 2 sessions

it has nothing to do with immersion, you lot are immersion whores :P I like it when my game puts sticks into my wheels. for example, I like the fact that in order to heal someone I need to click at least 4 buttons. I also like all the extra weapons and vehicles

I don't use ACE, but it looks interesting.

I try to stay away from big game changing mods.

It took me about 2 months to get the ARMA 2 controls down.

Usually, yes. Always, no. There's quite a number of great mods that are not compatible with ACE2, just to mention I44, OpFrenchpoint or CWR2.

If the devs or users of SP missions say its playable with ACE and/or some AI plugins, I play with ACE and/or some AI plugins. If not, I don't. Downside: ACE+AI-plugins are a performance hit. Still runs fine, but without ACE its all much smoother.

I don't use ACE, but it looks interesting.

I try to stay away from big game changing mods.

Wrong plan. If you work with @mod folders like everyone does, you only load the desired mods and therefore don't change the game at all...

Edited by tortuosit

Yes, im SP player mainly and that's some nice touched and features esp kit thats just wrong to not have in the game and making personal missions.