Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

UGV - Unmanned Ground Vehicles - SWORD, Adunok-M, MRK-27-BT

Those are awesome, Pookie. A Suggestion would be to give the BLUFOR side the controll over the Russian UGV's, too, specifically to the CDF. I have yet used indipendet UGV's with this, but in dynamic spawning campaigns where you cannot ground the UGV with a 0% Blufor colonel, and INDFOR is hostile to BLUFOR, this might come in handy for the CDF.

As you said your stringtables are yet unfinished - if you don't have anyone else to do it already - i can make them, for French & German. (I remember some funny errors thanks to google translate in the German stringtables of your M1611 and PBR's, so i thought you might want to let some native speaker translate it ;)

Don't know about ACE... don't use it myself. Try it w/o any other mods and it should work fine. I can use all of them no problem with @mod=ACR;@POOK

These aren't backpack-portable UGV's. The SWORD weighs 200-300 lbs in real life and you aren't going to carry that around on your back!

Once again, you need the AI "brain" for the UGV's to work correctly meaning implicitly that the "empty" vehicle won't work. However I don't know how to hide empty vehicles in the editor. And no you cannot get out - read the readme once again to know why! ;)

Point taken, however I was thinking more just the ability to pack it in a vehicle and then unpack it from the vehicle somewhere else - I wouldn't have classed the "wheelbarrows" used in Northern Ireland (or still by the British Army) as being particularly "pick up and play size" :) and that's what I'm kind of looking at.

@ Elena - as a BLUFOR player, try looting one of the Adunok or MRK ammo boxes... it works :) So yes you could control any UGV from any side... there isn't a requirement to be in the same faction. The only requirement in the scripts is to be in posession of the controller ;) Did that on purpose for *exactly* this! And of course since Independent has access to everything you can simply spawn some Indie UGV's and you're all set.

And the awesome thing is that you can capture an enemy's controller and take over their UGV! Oh yes. That is one thing we will be testing for MP tonight. I'm very curious to know how the AI will react when you take over their UGV.

And what's wrong with my funny string tables? LOL Yes any help will be appreciated

@martin - I'm researching man-portable UGV's and if the engine allows you to backpack a non-static vehicle in the same fashion as you can the static guns (which are technically vehicles) then portable UGV's should be doable. Just need to do some research. You know the Brits just made news about their little "toy helicopter" remote control vehicle they are taking into battle. That would sure be a nice addition don't you think...

This is a great mod thanks for sharing. As always with your mod’s, its top notch and very useful..

Thanks again..:)

@Pookie.

Yes, i'm aware of that, and it is truly awesome that the Controll-Action actually is bound to the Console, not the Player, so you can steal UGV's. My problem is, that the UGV's, if not controlled by someone, behave like AI-Controlled tanks, just that they do not Drive. (e.g. it bugged me out that the Gun and camera turns around to what the AI thinks is interesting, while i wanted them to point at a specific place, and i always had to do a 180° twist to turn back towards the enemy when i switched to the driver seat for a second. ) - but my main concern is that the UGV's will target, and open fire at friendly Units even when i actually controll it. So basically i loot e.g. an Ardunok-Backpack, assemble the station and 'steal' their UGV, cause massive losses at the enemy side with the stolen drone, and then i drive it to our base for research purpose. Instead of turning the drone off somehow, it will start shooting at friendlies in my base when i exit the camera. I'm aware that you scripted it so the commander actually orders a 'Hold Fire' but the AI doesn't care, they still engage when they are 100& sure that they are detected, and also my friendly units will open fire on the UGV. So basically, acces to the Russian UGV's for CDF would be a nice thing.

At your stringtables, they were indeed funny. It didn't stop me from enjoying your work, but it was kinda funny when i played with the M1611 on German language settings, and it suggested me to throw my windshield out of the car, rather than lowering it ;) If you PM me whatever you need to be translated either to French or German, i'll gladly help you out as much as i can.

Keep up the good work, every single one of your addons, up to now truly enhanced the gameplay, and i'm looking forward to any new release or update :)

It's funny that you would release this last weekend as I was precisely thinking about how to put unmanned vehicles in the game at that time.

I'm not nearly as experienced as you (read: at all) in making complex addons, but I was looking at how the various BIS unmanned vehicles worked, and if any vehicle in the game could basically be made unmanned. Strangely, they seem to have nailed the concept with the MQ-9 and even more with the AH-6X, which remains empty to the point where you can send one to your location to extract yourself. But on the other hand, the Pchela and the KA-137 have that problem with invisible crew ejections, so I rarely use them.

I was wondering if you considered/tried making your addon work like the BIS UAVs do - module and triple sync (UAV, player, and object as terminal). Also, do you think they could work one day (even if not in a completely realistic manner) as standalone AI? I can already think how fun it would be to try to avoid those bad boys.

Anyway, I'm glad to see someone playing around with unexplored game concepts. If in can be of any inspiration, I remember seeing a video about 15-20 years ago where a team of scientists had made a Humvee drive itself over a short stretch of terrain - and it had this big computer and camera system on it that made it barely recognizable. Then, nowadays, you've got Google sending their almost inconspicuous self-driving cars on public roads. That's the kind of think I'd like to experiment with in Arma. Those smaller helicopter drones - some of which you can buy off the shelf these days - might also be an interesting idea to explore.

Excellent mod!!! But the problem is that I can't switch to driver seat ever! Some people said it has a problem with the ace mod, so please see if there are problems and try to make it compatible, but overall it is an Excellent mod.

Excellent mod!!! But the problem is that I can't switch to driver seat ever! Some people said it has a problem with the ace mod, so please see if there are problems and try to make it compatible, but overall it is an Excellent mod.

Ace removes the ability to switch from Commander/Gunner to driver. Pookie can't do anything about it without modifying the deep roots of the game, this mod isn't meant to work with ace. If you want to use ACE with it, name the UGV and create two triggers with player MoveInDriver ugv; and player MoveInCommander ugv; and turn them into repetetive Radio triggers, switch seats are you like with 0-0-X.

Ace removes the ability to switch from Commander/Gunner to driver. Pookie can't do anything about it without modifying the deep roots of the game, this mod isn't meant to work with ace. If you want to use ACE with it, name the UGV and create two triggers with player MoveInDriver ugv; and player MoveInCommander ugv; and turn them into repetetive Radio triggers, switch seats are you like with 0-0-X.

Thanks for telling me

@Pook, I want to take permission to make a script that adds an action to allow ace players to drive, and thanks anyways

I was made aware of a possible config change that allows ACE to work with my addon. I need to test tonight after work... stay tuned.

Uploaded a TEST PBO for the Ace issue. This test affects ONLY the SWORD UGV vehicles! If someone can try it out with ACE and report your results I'd appreciate it... I'll give you a pizza roll :)

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=5b54fc51a7917265#cid=5B54FC51A7917265&id=5B54FC51A7917265%211979

The change does not affect my non-ACE game, so IF this works I'll make a new version this weekend! :cool:

I just tested the updated pbo for the ACE issue and it works! Great job and keep up the good work.

Well that's AWESOME! I'll have to make the new version ASAP - most likely on Friday. I'm also going to make a "resupply station" (aka vehicle ammo box) with the custom magazines so they can be reloaded like any other vehicle. That AA-12 is just too much fun to not be able to reload it :D

JSF Thanks again for paving the way with the scripting part... I would still be floundering if you hadn't shared the love :)

@hcpookie It was my pleasure, for I worked very hard on the remote control scripts and wouldn't have been able to complete them without the help from Nordin. If your up to it would you be willing to help me with testing my updated MULE, and in creating textures as well? As of right now NodUnit is working on the UV maps for me.

Link to Updated photos of MULE: http://s1138.beta.photobucket.com/user/JSF_82nd_Reaper/library/Project%2001%20MULE/02-13-13%20WIP%20Update

Edited by JSF 82nd Reaper

@hcpookie It was my pleasure, for I worked very hard on the remote control scripts and wouldn't have been able to complete them without the help from Nordin. If your up to it would you be willing to help me with testing my updated MULE, and in creating textures as well? As of right now NodUnit is working on the UV maps for me.

Link to Updated photos of MULE: http://s1138.beta.photobucket.com/user/JSF_82nd_Reaper/library/Project%2001%20MULE/02-13-13%20WIP%20Update

I could help out with the texturing. I'd just need a normal map *nohq.paa file that shows all the main details. Maybe you guys could make a combined FCS addon that has all the unmanned stuff from that, like including the unmanned tanks and stuff. THAT would be awesome.

Update available... see first post!

New in v1.1:

- Adunok-M DSHK version

- Vehicle ammunition boxes

- Config update to supress ACE errors - credit to Stiltman for discovering the fix!

- Updated string tables

Pending wish list items:

To-Do: Test Multiplayer!!!

To-Do: Research Warfare-style UGV Resupply stations

To-Do: Research vehicle-based UGV terminal solutions

To-Do: Improve string tables

To-Do: Research additional UGV models

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

I'm terrible with textures so I'm not the one to ask - as you can tell the Russian UGV's are textured to the Kamaz texture because it has the biggest "no feature" area of all the ones I looked at LOL However, I am willing to do some testing if you need me to... ;)

I'm going to release the MLODs probably tomorrow since no major issues have been reported with the models. I've noticed my UV maps for FLIR aren't as good as they need to be. I thought they were better but I did make a change to some of the RVMAT pointers so I probably screwed them up. Something else I'm adding to the list.

Update available... see first post!

New in v1.1:

- Adunok-M DSHK version

- Vehicle ammunition boxes

- Config update to supress ACE errors - credit to Stiltman for discovering the fix!

- Updated string tables

Pending wish list items:

To-Do: Test Multiplayer!!!

To-Do: Research Warfare-style UGV Resupply stations

To-Do: Research vehicle-based UGV terminal solutions

To-Do: Improve string tables

To-Do: Research additional UGV models

---------- Post added at 23:36 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

I'm terrible with textures so I'm not the one to ask - as you can tell the Russian UGV's are textured to the Kamaz texture because it has the biggest "no feature" area of all the ones I looked at LOL However, I am willing to do some testing if you need me to... ;)

I'm going to release the MLODs probably tomorrow since no major issues have been reported with the models. I've noticed my UV maps for FLIR aren't as good as they need to be. I thought they were better but I did make a change to some of the RVMAT pointers so I probably screwed them up. Something else I'm adding to the list.

Suggestion: Go big or go home... j/k. But, it would be nice if you could try some larger UGVs, like maybe something about the size of the Gladiator or the Guardium.

Also, I'm not sure if it's possible given your scripting knowledge but it'd be awesome if you could research 1) possibilities of AI remote controlling UGVs and 2) not only vehicle terminal solutions but infantry terminal solutions as well (meaning a handheld inventory-held equipment, kinda like the laser designator).

Possible UGV models you could do:

Guardium

Black Knight

Autonomous Platform Demonstrator

Edited by antoineflemming

@antoieflemming I've been working on implementing the MULE, a UGV created by Lockheed Martin. It is quite large and has been a huge learning experience for me and I'm still not done with it.

1) possibilities of AI remote controlling UGVs and

I think this can be done automatically if the INIT script doesn't disable AI. That way they are literally a very small tank in formation. :) Perhaps change the script so the "take control" script does the disable AI commands instead of the INIT script. HRM... that would imitate the UGV as being ALWAYS controlled... problem is, once you leave the UGV controller the AI will take over like a normal tank. And you would be subject to the "almost disabled" limitations... if they already see an enemy they'll still fire at it and call things out and may move around. Once that's all done you'll have an "almost" AI controlled UGV.

And of course the "bots" will still bark out commands. What I need to do is to find how the voices can be customized like they did with the DSAI mod, and make "mute" voices for the crew members. Or make them where they are simple electronic beeps. Or maybe sound like R2-D2 :D

2) not only vehicle terminal solutions but infantry terminal solutions as well (meaning a handheld inventory-held equipment, kinda like the laser designator).

Yep, that's already there. I copied JSF's handheld controller setup and simply use the laser designator as the model. The "portable terminals" are located in the ammo boxes *and* in the vehicle ammo resupply boxes.

The Mule is lots of fun. ;)