John Spartan

F/A 18 Super Hornet for Arma 2 OA

I don't know if these things have been mentioned or not, but here are some things i found while testing it.

-Every single time I team switched after being the pilot, the pilot automatically goes into automatic landing. Everytime, i came back i had no control until turning off auto landing, even though i never turned it on. I think it happened in both but i remember it happening in the 2 seater for sure.

-When turning power on, the wings automatically unfold and can't be overridden. So you can't taxi when set close to others on the Nimitz.

-Should have both pilots in the 2 seater eject or else the other guy dies going down with the aircraft.

-Only thing else i might suggest is to add more bombs to the bomb version of the 2 seater. Right now both single, and 2 seaters have same bomb armament. Adding bombs instead of aa missles to the 2 seater seems to make more sense.

Otherwise it's an exceptionally complete first release. Excellent work

@victim913, thanks for feedback man. The issue with team swith is something new to me, i'll definetly look in to it. Are you using any mods or this with vanilla ARMA?

Any feedback apriciated

Edited by John_Spartan

I'm not sure if it just me, the sound especially while in cockpit view contains a high-pitched noise that is very uncomfortable to listen to.

I love your work Spartan. Really well done aircraft. Just a note with the latest update, the scripts for both the load outs and custom skins aren't working with the newly released version.

Keep up the great work!

@Quite_morish, this is new to me are you using any mods man? If anyone else has this issue, please let me know.

@Flatch94, this is not a release, lets call it a public BETA 0.9, so my apologies for not yet updating all aspects of readme.

Regarding loadouts, there are 6 for each plane, to activate in init field of unit use:

fa18loadoutscript = [this,"FA18E_LOADOUT_AA"] execvm "js_fa18\scripts\FA18_loadouts.sqf";
possible strings are:
FA18E_LOADOUT_AA

FA18E_LOADOUT_AA2

FA18E_LOADOUT_MULTIROLE

FA18E_LOADOUT_AG

FA18E_LOADOUT_AG2

FA18E_LOADOUT_BOMBS

FA18F_LOADOUT_AA

FA18F_LOADOUT_AA2

FA18F_LOADOUT_MULTIROLE

FA18F_LOADOUT_AG

FA18F_LOADOUT_AG2

FA18F_LOADOUT_BOMBS

Also the same thing for the skins, in units init field put:

fa18camoscript = [this,"VFA14_CAG"] execvm "js_fa18\scripts\FA18_camo.sqf";

and possible strings are

fa18e_generic

fa18f_generic

VFA14_CAG

VFA14_LOW

VFA41_CAG

VFA41_LOW

VFA103_CAG

there is a BETA version of loadout selector GUI built in. If aircraft parked on Nimitz deck, near reaamo truck or any hangar, action menu “service menu†should become available.

Ok we have a slight update version 0.91 for BETA test. This is not yet a release so dont mirror this. All issues you encounter please report back to me, I'll realy apriciate that.

Again we have two separate configs for vanilla ARMA 2 and ACE compatible version. In ACE version afterburner action key is "SeagullFastForward", since I did not manage yet to implement default ACE afterburner key as a triger for this action. If anyone knows how to do it let me know please. Updated GUI for changing loadouts and skins. ALTFLIR is not yet implemented, thats still work in progress. Classnames stay the same so it wont brake up any created missions, and the same for ACE version. Ok here are the links.

REMOVED

Edited by John_Spartan

Nice work!!! The 10.Panzerdivision love it!!! the Service Menü is a good Tool!! Thank you for your time!

OK, since only few people expressed they ideas about keys used as shortcuts for functions and after successful testing "seagullfastforward" key as a burner action shortcut key, I have decided to use the same key binding for vannila arma version, also for targeting system other spectator movement keys will be mapped. That’s a good news to people who wanted their vehicle turbo intact so they can use both burner and turbo. What we found out that even if in ACE version we define ACE_afterbuner_key as shortcut we can’t map that to external joystick, where any vanilla ARMA supported key mappings are possible to bind to joystick. Also in MP tests spectator keys showed no conflicts even though you have them defined twice (like ACE burner - shift, and seagullfastforward - shift). Also with using those BIS provided spectator key functions user has a full customization over which key on keyboard he wishes to map as certain functions.

Edited by John_Spartan

I like the new version, and the service menu is a good idea.

About the afterburner, if I dont want to use the seagull key, Will the action be available in the action menu like it is now?

Yesterday we was with 6 Hornets in the air to take out some bad guys and bandits and i must say it works good and looks great in multiplayer but i can see my changed camo self and no other...the WSO have no exit if he was in his ALTFLIR optic and can I delete the middle Fueltank?

Thanks for your addon and time!!

@Porter, glad you like this mod and thanks for feedback. First of all please remember that this is still a work in progress, that has been released to test it and improve it for final release. Franze and me are still working on some ideas how to get some extra functionality added.

regarding targeting system - self designation capability thats still in an development, but definetly will be fixed.

about camo not showing up in MP, I am aware an looking in to options to get it fixed. (settobjecttexture is executed localy on client only, but I found some ideas how to work around it)

Middle fueltank, was ment to stay where it is, since in real life that station is never used for weapons, I left that unanimated. I will think about option just to hide it if required, but to be honest, aircraft looks a bit cooler with that fuelpod - my opinion.

BTW, if you get a chance to do some cool screenshots, can you send me a link for them i would realy apriciate that.

Edited by John_Spartan

The max. allowed filesize for hotlinked images is 100kb, not 200 or 300. Please fix your posted images asap.

I just finished updating weapons loadouts and GUI to be compatible with GLT missile box addon (NOT DEPENDANT). I was wondering is there a way to check what addons user has installed, like is GLT missilebox enable or not if yes then reload all weapons to GLT ones and GUI allow only relevant loadouts, or if additional addon not detected then use default vanilla ARMA 2 weapons. Has something like this been done, is it possible?

The way I done it right now it requires mission maker to set variables to true like GLT_loadouts = true; somewhere in mission init and then all plane loadouts are reloaded to GLT ones. I have added similar thing as an option for refuel/rearm realistic time and option to enable/disable GUI to fit certain mission scenarios.

Also has anyone seen a good working example of custom laser designator?

Also some small things been updated in model so out of the box it will be compatible with GPS/INS function from GLT missliebox, upcoming Aerial Refuelling module by Feint etc...

I was wondering is there a way to check what addons user has installed, like is GLT missilebox enable or not if yes then reload all weapons to GLT ones and GUI allow only relevant loadouts, or if additional addon not detected then use default vanilla ARMA 2 weapons. Has something like this been done, is it possible?

This may work for GLT check:

if (isClass(configFile >> "CfgPatches" >> "GLT_Missilebox")) then { \/* GLT is available *\/ } else { \/* GLT is NOT available *\/ };

Also has anyone seen a good working example of custom laser designator?

you mean the Targeting Pod?

@panther42, thanks man I'll try it out. Might be the solution I was looking for. BTW I checked your tread about upcoming carrier AI ambiance module, that is a cool idea keep up working on it. Also have you thought adding a parking script. Like when you land you can chose a spot and plane is parked there for you.

@Porter10PzD, thanks for screenshots mate, they are awesome. Regarding LD example I meant script itself. Like now I have BIS predator style animated turret/targeting system, but my attemps to script a target designator are failing so far. We'll get there.

your welcome...but i must thank you and franze for this beautifull addon!!!! If you or Franze need more screenshots the P-Brother´s are here too help you!

@Panther42, thanks again mate for that advice on how to check addons that user has enebled. It works perfect, so thanks to your help GLT_missilebox support is added.

not a problem John_Spartan. Keep up the good work on this one.

One question. Can you change the view geometry(I think, not a modeller) so when at a distance, the aircraft does not look like a clay model? Also, when viewing from a distance, the front wheel is off the ground. I saw this in Meatball's F/A-18 also. Must be the model, as both of you are using Franze's aircraft as a base. Other aircraft at same distance do not loose their geometry as bad.

@ Panther42, are you using the 0.7 BETA version from Armaholic? If so then check post #57 on this tread for lattest BETA version test, or if you are around after hour or two I'll put 0.95 BETA version download links for test, I am writting a README right now for it man.