John Spartan

F/A 18 Super Hornet for Arma 2 OA

Yes, BETA 0.7 at the moment. I'll wait for the 0.95 BETA then...:)

All the issues you mentioned have bean dealt with as far as we avare so far in 0.95

Please check the first post of this tread for UPDATED version 0.95

Edited by John_Spartan

Hey, John_Spartan. Both of those links give me a screen for download not allowed...

Download not available

Download permission denied by uploader. (0b67c2f5)

one moment - i'll take look mate, just finished updating readme and all other stuff

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

try now Panther and let me know did you manage to download the file

Ok, we are allmoust at the point where we can say this project has reached its initial goal and even more features added than initialy planned. 1.0 version realease depends on comunitys help, i released 0.95 version to public to test and get all small issues tracked down/aknowledged so we can fix them before moving further. So any feedback at this stage is apriciated.

To add the only two functions meant for 1.0 that still is wip are proper fuel drop sequence and finishing Altflir targeting capability. There were few interesting sugestions to add certain functions but all that will be considered after 1.0 release and even then key focus will be improving model, level of detail and textures.

If anyone who knows how to change position for ACE fuel probes attacment point could share the knowledge that would be wery helpfull. Thanks

Just a bit of feedback John_Spartan:

1. Add to the hint about GLT enabled for what it's for. Right now it just says GLT loadouts enabled... put in for F/A-18E or F, something like that. Or change it to sideChat

2. What's the difference between the E and F models? I put both side by side on the Nimitz and can't tell the difference. Same markings, same loadout, etc. Maybe I'm blind.

3. Curious about the boundingBox and boundingCenter for the CFO project I'm working on. Each model returns different info:

"JS_FA18E : [[-7.92998,-11.1356,-2.98107],[7.92998,11.1356,2.98107]] boundingCenter: [-0,-0.113903,0.185637]"

"JS_FA18F : [[-7.92998,-11.2495,-2.82967],[7.92998,11.0217,3.36727]] boundingCenter: [-0,-0,0]"

4. Aircraft is very jumpy on the Nimitz. Every little bump it bounces quite a bit.

5. Works good for AI recovery on the Nimitz and Launching. Good Job, and keep up the hard work. I'll post more as I remember/come up with more questions

@Panther42,

1. Yeah you have the point on this one, just to inform more accuratly and avoid confusion since user may have a lot of addons enable. Will definetly change this.

2. About the differences of E and F models. First of all E version is a single seater, where F if two seater. Loadout capabilities for both aircraft are the same even thou I have added some diffrence in few loadouts, trye changing them via GUI. About paintschemes by default both aircraft are in US NAVY grey generic pattern with just a hull number and marking diffrence. But thru GUI you can select few realistic real life skins representing few of the squadrons and skin set availible for each version will be varry.

3. Ã'll look in to this, even though its two diffrent geometries, both are cantered to axis/pin in editor. Also if you wish to use attachto function I can always add memory point in center of model, since I am interested in your upcoming module and would like to see these two addons compatible.

4. yes it is, part of that is nimitz deck issues, but I'll try to get it better.

5. Recovery scripts will be improved and updated to make them more realistic.

Edited by John_Spartan

Sorry bud, I must have mistakenly placed two F's in the editor while looking at them...I re-tested, and do see the F model with two seats, and numbering of 201, while the E version is single seat, and numbering 101....:butbut:

I've noticed with Meatball's F/A-18 and yours, the suspension is very touchy on deck of Nimitz. Don't know what settings in the model this is.

I use my own recovery/launch scripts with Nimitz. These are AI flown planes. I have not had a chance to test your script.

Hey John,

I focus on FA/18 C models, mainly, I just want to say I love your addon. I make high resolution Aircaft textures. I made some for my VMFA 323 (Death Rattlers), and VMFA 232 (Red Devils) This was originally a project for the 15th MEU, and I had some questions for you.

1. Nimitz MP hook system. Does it break repeatedly for you online. We can only get one plane to land at one time. Some problem with the Nimitz I am guessing.

2. Do you have high res textures that you may need some help with. I might be able to help you out.

3. As far as the interior goes, have you ever tried contacting FDF for their interior Cockpit model. I love that thing.

4. Also, did I see a unique towing tractor animation? Looked good.

5. Love the GUI, just want to know if the system allows for the creation of high resolution textures.

Here are some pics of my birds if you were interested.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/70660017/arma2oa%202013-03-01%2000-56-16-57.png (1131 kB)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/70660017/arma2oa%202013-03-01%2000-56-16-57.png (1131 kB)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/70660017/arma2oa%202013-03-01%2000-43-21-04.png (2666 kB)

That is just the Red Devils Squadron, let me know if you need any help with anything. I would be happy to try and find some time to help.

Not to derail this thread M.Evans, but what exactly do you mean by:

1. Nimitz MP hook system. Does it break repeatedly for you online. We can only get one plane to land at one time. Some problem with the Nimitz I am guessing.

Are you trying to land two at a time? Do you have more than one Nimitz on the map? Do the aircraft not get the action "Tailhook Down"? Does the aircraft get the action, but is not stopped by the arrestor system?

I have done quite a bit with the Nimitz, and am interested in your problems, but could have some answers. PM me if you wish.

@Mr.Evans ok regarding your questions:

1. Nimitz arrestor system has a resting time between landing next aircraft, also make sure you have lattest versions CBA and Jdogs nimitz installed. Besides Nimitz built in arestor system there is built in one (green action "tailhook down") which will work fine with multiple aircraft and on version 1.0 release it will be made as realistic as nimitz one just more campatible and reliable.

2. regarding textures then its a wip ongoing improvments but if you want to help and can do better textures then check the link I sent you in PM to get PSD files downloaded, and who nows if your textures are better then I'll replace the ones we have now, so the final product for comunity is as good quality as possible.

3. About cockpit then, I have to say that I would like to make my own model on this one, like now I started to do it from scratch and if not on 1.0 then latter with updates it will be improved and fully functional (patience on this one).

4. send me a link please I am aware of the one in ACE2 mod. Also I can add some momory points or change config if there is a good tow truck addon and make them compatible. But I also would like to say that Panther is working on some nice carrier ops script set to get all this even sweeter so maybe he can add some nice towtruck spawnedd on deck.

5. GUI can load only predefined skins. My plans in future were get this aircraft to 1.0 and then there will be additional USMC and RAAF skin sets with their own GUI and options but still based on same model and requiring original js_fa18 addon

Hope this answers all your questions at the moment.

i have a question for you John_Spartan

can you accept a good job comment ? please ? pretty pretty please ? :P

@supergruntsb78 please be more specific about job/coment you meant mate.

Edited by John_Spartan

that was the reason why I asked for help on this one Porter, since I don't have that much time left to play ARMA 2 after I spend it all on development of this and some other mods. You will see some other good ones in final Flight Manual for this bird once I'll get to 1.0 version.

Edited by John_Spartan

@supergruntsb78 please be more specific about job/coment you meant mate.

sorry i didnt reply before been off a few days

all i mean is to say is good job just trying some humour :p

@ supergruntsb78, Thanks, ok, sorry mate misunderstood, English is a second language for me.

Very impressive.

Best F18 mod I have come across.

Will be using these as the goto jet for Anti Air

Could be used for goto jet for almost anything.

The pluses are:

1. The afterburner functions and looks great.

2. Works well with Nimitz and towing/rearming tractor.

3. Loadout changing is easily done without need of Mando missle

4. Single seater version included which allows locking AT and AA without requiring a body in the gunner seat. Two seater is also included if you want that feature.

5. Keeps true to the agility and maneuverability of an F18.

6. Plays well with GLT misslebox.

6. Plays well with all our other mods and we run a ton of them though We don't use ACE mod

7. Reskinable and comes with template.

8. No hidden sub scroll aircraft actions makes for quick control access.

9. Canopy automatically shuts when pressing thrust.

10 Many weapons holders for multiple Gas tanks or launchers.

11. Example loadout scripts supplied.

Looks like you thought of everything John Spartan.

The example scripts for changing loadout seam to be a mix of sqf and sqm so I made my own sqf using the supplied scipts as examples only. Works a dream with no errors or rpt spam.

Only issue I found is the folding wings do not work. Its starts the fold, but does not finish and returns to unfolded. Its not a big deal though. Great work on this mod. Highly recommended. Your mod has been running on our MP server now for 3 days. Can't really say enough about it. Contract awarded!

Edit: A player reported folding wings are working but engine must be off.

Edited by Jigsor

Thanks' Jigsor.

I newer thought there will be such a big interest in this release, but this just adds more interest for me to keep this going. Good news is that 1.0 version with all new awaited features is on its way. Within a week, after some final tests are done we will see it on public.

Edited by John_Spartan
my bad grammar

Nice to hear John_Spartan, this is by far among the top AddOn planes out there!

Well Done!

Are there any plans to add the CCRP function for GBU-12s and MK-82s to the F/A-18? I love flying your jet in conjunction with the USS Nimitz, but it is not always the favorable choice compared in terms of accuracy when compared to the AV-8B or the A-10A because of this ACE function that they have.

Are there any plans to add the CCRP function for GBU-12s and MK-82s to the F/A-18?

Regarding ACE configuration part, then lack of documentation and information how to create compatible mods for ACE, is the problem why such feature is not jet implemented. If someone can tell me what exactly needs to implemented in model/config then this feature might become reality within ACE 2 mod. Till that there is also GPS/INS targeting system, to drop bombs quite accurate.

To my knowledge the ACE HUD is triggered when the player gets into the vehicle when it checks if the plane is enabled to support the ACE HUD. @ACE's ace_sys_air_hud.pbo and fnc_getIN.sqf therein checks

if (player == _player) then {
_isHud = getNumber(configFile >> "CfgVehicles" >> typeOf _plane >> "ACE_HUD_ENABLED");
if(_isHud == 1) then {
	GVAR(ccip_plane) = _plane;
	_hudDisplay = (uiNamespace getVariable "ACE_HUD_RSC");
	if(!isNil "_hudDisplay") then {
		_hudDisplay closeDisplay 1;
	};
	93563 cutRsc ["ace_ccip_hud_dialog", "PLAIN"];

That's just something I found through a bit of (failed) trial and error I did myself. I don't know if there is a way to define the F/A-18 as an ACE HUD enabled vehicle.

@acrono01, so what you are trying to say if an variable is included in config it will enable ACE type HUD?

//ACE HUD

ACE_HUD_ENABLED = 1;

Also maybe you have an idea how to set correct point for refuelling probe to be attached to drogue/house of tanker during ACE areal refuelling, at this moment it is enabled but looks poor since the end of the drogue is attached to nose of the plane.