Sign in to follow this  
memphisbelle

Eagle dynamics will release the UH-1H Huey

Lot's of projects announced for DCS World. Pretty exciting. They do need a new theater as well though. Nevada is coming, but that's not enough.

Soo what happened to the Falcon, Hind and apache alpha that they were showcasing a few years ago? Wonder if you'll be able to mast bump.

I'll be all over this ;) I'm currently learning to fly the P-51D Mustang which turns out to be quite a challange to get into the air and an even bigger challenge to land.

the apache, hind and the falcon were stated on a list 5 years ago. this list and the things which were suggested are currently not confirmed neither is someone speaking of them. we dont know wether those are under develolment or ed quit on them. what we know is that we will get the new theatre and some toys to play from the 3rd party developer teams. there are the f-14a tomcat, f-22 raptor, the now announced bell uh-1h and some other modules, such as the harrier and the bae hawk. there might be a new theatre some day also.

according to 2 seater action, we will see what the multiplayer compatibilty of the huey will bring. if it works so this will be a good thing for further modules like the apache, hind and other birds.

posted via samsung mobile

Edited by MemphisBelle

There is a new theatre - Nevada. Problem is, it hasn't been seen since A-10C beta (it was pulled). It is supposed to be a free DLC to those who pre-ordered A-10C and paid to everyone else. Unfortunately, it seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

@hellfire...nevada is still on track...ED needed some additional time to finish dcs world. once dcs world has been finished, so ED will focus on fc3 and Nevada again.

First impressions from the beta: It's REALLY good! A lot to learn and a lot of fun. Obviously there are still some bugs and some features missing but it's a true DCS level aircraft. The flight model feels very nice and from what I've heard from real pilots it actually is already pretty good. Some minor issues but Belsimtek is still tweaking it and the FM will be improved in the upcoming months. You can control the guns and rockets from the pilot and copilot seat (this one has a visor where you have a little bit of control over the gatlin guns) and you can even play as doorgunner. At the Moment you can't have a friend control the doorgun(s) but if you let the AI take over while you're controling the gun it works pretty well. I prefer to fly that thing though.

I see lots of possibilities for combined arms missions with A-10Cs, Ka-50s and Groundcommanders as JTACs.

It's pretty difficult to fly when you're slow but it controls very nice once you picked up some speed. Difficult to land and hover but at the same time a lot of fun and very rewarding when you manage to control the aircraft. Well worth the 50 bucks if you ask me but only with rudder pedals. If you don't have rudder pedals forget it. You won't have much fun with it.

I'm very pleased and it's only the first beta version!

New terrains will be coming once EDGE is released and there are lots of modules on the horizon. Modern jet aircraft, WWII aircraft, Helicopters, new terrains (Wags hinted at european WWII era maps!) and much more.

Happy crashing!

Complaints I heard so far are for example that the nose drops too quickly when you lower collective and that the huey drifts too much. The latter coming from someone with experience in the Bell 206. I'm no pilot so what the hell do I know. All I can say is that it feels good and is incredibly responsive. You barely need to move the stick at slow speeds, just very small corrections to move. All I can really do is read about it. The main thing: It's challenging and fun to fly and has a very nice, highly detailed, cockpit. Not everything is functional atm, some switches don't work (i.e. master caution light can only be turned off via keyboard commandand some switches are nonfunctional)

Also, vortex ring state is a bitch! Especially at 50ft AGL :dead: If you're not careful with your descentrate it's over pretty fast :D

When will they release a new map?

It's like $50 single vehicle DLCs

Do they model mast bumping from low G push overs or other conditions where the rotor disc is unloaded?

Do they have any plans to make trees into solid objects?

Touche.

Do they model mast bumping from low G push overs or other conditions where the rotor disc is unloaded?

It doesn't seem to be implemented atm. I think I tried hard enough: pushed over a hill and countered the left roll with violent right cyclic - nothing. just a bit of shudder and silence then you can hear the typical huey sound again.

Edited by Derbysieger

I hope they put it in at some point. This was a really, really big factor in huey piloting. I was talking to an army cobra pilot and he was saying that anything under 0.5 G and you were in real danger of decapitating the rotorshaft. Mast bumping was a very important limit to the manoeuvrability of those helicopters. It was a huge factor in air-to-air testing for the cobra as well- so much so that they made a special rotor head modification. They installed a buffer below the teetering hinge so the pilots didn't have to worry about their rotors departing from the aircraft pulling some basic ACM.

Edited by Max Power

And people thought helicopter pilots of today were crazy, I think back then when you got your license there was segment of fine, small black lettering that declared you were also legally insane heheheh.

Not only do they not, but every user on their forums will gird themselves for battle to defend the devs' honor on why even the most temporary, half-way workaround solutions are impossible in the engine.

A crude player-only collision box wrapped around forest regions of rendered forests? Tracking the distance of your plane to a few dozen simple polygons? Fuck no, too taxing to the engine.

This is infact one of the biggest gripes I have whith the engine when I'm flying helicopters. In the Warthog or P-51D I don't see it as a problem but in a helicopter it is a real PITA especially because trees don't block the AIs vision so you get shot with SACLOS missiles through dense woods by tanks that are a few km away which is very immersion breaking.

If there was a better alternative I would switch in a heartbeat but there isn't. When it comes to combat flightsims there isn't anything which comes close. Maybe Falcon BMS but that's only one aircraft. Yes the dynamic campaigns are great but if I want to fly a mission with Hueys inserting troops on the front and flying MEDEVAC while A-10C Warthogs and Ka-50s are providing aircover and another player acts as a JTAC there is only DCS.

I'm regulary flying these kinds of missions with a small group and it's tremendous fun. You have A-10Cs clearing the area of SAMs like SA-18 Tunguskas and SA-15 Tors then the KA-50s fly in, clean up the tanks and infantery and now you can also have Hueys dropping troops to secure the area and flying MEDEVAC when someone gets shot down. All this is coordinated by a gamemaster who acts as a JTAC and groundcommander for the AI.

You can't get this kind of gameplay anywhere else, so you deal with these problems as best as you can. At times it is absolutely annoying i.e. when you get shot from tanks that are 5km away and you have 4km of forest between you and the enemy but most of the time these missions are brilliant.

In singleplayer it's much more of a problem but I rarely fly singleplayer apart from the occasional air refueling training or missiontesting for MP missions (triggers mostly). I just don't have the time for SP. Proper MP missions can easily last 4hrs. and you do that max once or twice a week. The rest of the time I fly freeflight where I can train procedures, formation flying with buddies etc.

Yes, these trees can be a big problem and very immersion breaking but you can get around some of the problems with intelligent mission design and a good gamemaster. In the end everyone has to decide for himself if he can deal with these problems and if the rotary wing ac are worth the money despite this. For me it is worth it, for others it might not and that's totally ok.

This is infact one of the biggest gripes I have whith the engine when I'm flying helicopters. In the Warthog or P-51D I don't see it as a problem but in a helicopter it is a real PITA especially because trees don't block the AIs vision so you get shot with SACLOS missiles through dense woods by tanks that are a few km away which is very immersion breaking.

If there was a better alternative I would switch in a heartbeat but there isn't. When it comes to combat flightsims there isn't anything which comes close. Maybe Falcon BMS but that's only one aircraft. Yes the dynamic campaigns are great but if I want to fly a mission with Hueys inserting troops on the front and flying MEDEVAC while A-10C Warthogs and Ka-50s are providing aircover and another player acts as a JTAC there is only DCS.

I'm regulary flying these kinds of missions with a small group and it's tremendous fun. You have A-10Cs clearing the area of SAMs like SA-18 Tunguskas and SA-15 Tors then the KA-50s fly in, clean up the tanks and infantery and now you can also have Hueys dropping troops to secure the area and flying MEDEVAC when someone gets shot down. All this is coordinated by a gamemaster who acts as a JTAC and groundcommander for the AI.

You can't get this kind of gameplay anywhere else, so you deal with these problems as best as you can. At times it is absolutely annoying i.e. when you get shot from tanks that are 5km away and you have 4km of forest between you and the enemy but most of the time these missions are brilliant.

In singleplayer it's much more of a problem but I rarely fly singleplayer apart from the occasional air refueling training or missiontesting for MP missions (triggers mostly). I just don't have the time for SP. Proper MP missions can easily last 4hrs. and you do that max once or twice a week. The rest of the time I fly freeflight where I can train procedures, formation flying with buddies etc.

Yes, these trees can be a big problem and very immersion breaking but you can get around some of the problems with intelligent mission design and a good gamemaster. In the end everyone has to decide for himself if he can deal with these problems and if the rotary wing ac are worth the money despite this. For me it is worth it, for others it might not and that's totally ok.

Well it isn´t a big problem if you fly fixed wing aircraft but not beeing able to hide behind a forest with a KA-50 is plain ridiculous. They won´t get any more money from me until they fix that.

Well it isn´t a big problem if you fly fixed wing aircraft but not beeing able to hide behind a forest with a KA-50 is plain ridiculous. They won´t get any more money from me until they fix that.
It was once done by a Mod for original Flaming Cliffs. But it brings new problem to the stone age engine they still use.

1) Roads passing through forests would be impassable for all units.

2) Units placed in forests would be caused to "hover" over the forest.

3) Individual tree weapon and sensor line of sight would not be possible.

The nevada and newer maps made with EGDE may have collidable trees if nothing goes wrong.

Edited by Beagle

I thought their new engine (EDGE) was going to fix the tree issue?