Sign in to follow this  
SlimPow

is there a AI fix/mod?

hi really enjoying the game for the most part but i have a few problems 1. my team mates are more like preschoolers shooting pop guns if there not shooting there getting shot instantly, i just leave them well away from combat now even getting them into formation is almost impossible, bugging through walls standing in the middle of combat or falling 200 meters be hide me. the other problem is the enemy AI they head shot me instantly i was playing on expert but it was too hard i would lean around a corner and get shot instantly, even now after restarting the mission (razor 2) and putting them on novice they can see me coming from a mile away and one shot me 80% of the time or take me out of combat with a injury, i really love this game but cant do much in terms of tactics because i cant even tell my squad to get into stealth mode they just run around lagging behind like there high lol. I have been through all the training and watch videos but 90% of the time all the options are grayed out.

can anyone suggest a mod or something to fix my team? is there someone i can change with a .config ?

Im really trying to enjoy this game but its becoming impossible my or my teammates die within 2 seconds of a conflict

Hi mate.

*I should remember you..even in "novice mode" you don't want to put Enemy Skill=1

There is a thread specifically for "your needs"..to examine and choose what mod fits you best-but DON'T FORGET to read the "Read me's" included in complex mods (like A.I tweaking).You will find the "right recipe".

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?117674-AI-Compilation-List-of-Addons-Mods-Scripts-amp-Misc

Personally i m using as 'standard' the AI mods below..

ACE+ASR_AI+TPW_LoS+TPWC_Suppression

Edited by GiorgyGR

Ha ha, i had a feeling someone would link my thread.

@SlimPow

Make sure you ahve patched your game to 1.62, fi your playing with Arma2CO as they AI is much better,

but I recommend these mods:

ASR AI

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12105

This is an AI skill mod to make the AI better, more diverse and distinct by type.

Some units will be better skilled than others.

TPWC AI suppression system

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17049

This addon makes AI units react to passing projectiles.

Basically, you, your AI you command, and then enemy AI can be supressed.

TPWLOS

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...ht=suppression

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/481663/TPW_AI_LOS_104.zip (download)

This addon improves AI response and realism in closer engagements. It is based on SaOk's excellent line-of-sight code

which implements the new line intersects, terrain intersect, eye pos and eye direction commands introduced in OA beta patch 94103

(and simply won't work on earlier versions). TPWLOS works well with and nicely complements TPWCAS.

TPWLOS scans for enemies near each opfor or blufor or independent unit, determines if they have line of sight

to the enemy (no buildings or terrain in the way), runs a few more visibility checks based on light level, movement,

camouflage etc, and if the enemy is determined as visible then the unit will face towards and shoot at the enemy.

Reaction time should be well under a second, which greatly enhances squad response and aggression in CQB situations.

SLX mod - (Get COSLX)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7045&highlight=SLX

This mod is made to enhance the gameplay, make the AI smarter, effects better and add's some

new gameplay features as well.

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8848&highlight=GL4

Group Link 4 features a wide range of different Player Friendly A.I. and Enemy A.I. Enhancements and

many different Special FX features in visible and audible kind.

====================

I would try first:

ASR AI, TPWC AI suppression system,TPWLOS

and see if you get what your looking for, and then go from there.

Hope that helps.

Have you tried commanding your teammates?

If you will give them orders like AI commander does you can win much more easily. Any soldier without orders will not be effective IRL either. The role of the commander is to carry the team, your team won't carry you doing everything on their own.

AI also can't shoot well even on expert - insta-headshot is an overexaggeration. You just have to move all the time/switch positions once AI started firing at you and you won't get shot. Never peak around the same corner twice.

Unless you will do the above things no mod/script will be able to help you.

Edited by metalcraze

Yeah managing your team is a pain, but it's something useful to try and get good at... I only use a few commands and don't try to over complicate things, mostly I use behavior and hold/open fire and formation everything else I leave up to them, although sometimes I need to force them into prone.. I find stealth mode in combat or moving into combat enables them to behave more safely moving around.

I also think getting one shotted maybe a slight exaggeration I usually mostly get a few near misses but if I'm running around all rambo as I often find myself doing (im not suggesting you do) then yep I get taken out pretty quickly, and if they know your position even when your behind cover then they usually have the corners covered, I always thought that was quite awesome how they do that.

i have only Arma 2 downloading oa almost done, just it can get frustrating when i pop my head out and bam I'm down or a teammate, i try to give the ai orders as much as possible but there are not many options i keep them on alert and direct them to take cover but they still get owned( i really feel the game should pause while you issues orders because in real combat a commander is not flicking through menus to call out a command, ill get faster with more experience i know but that's not the point or add voice commands), just combat is so fast and from my experiences a single fire fight can take hours not minutes i remember reading somewhere someone edited a config to reduce the AI's accuracy I am not looking to Rambo around i want a long fight where if i peek I'm not dead.

i do change things up for example i was having trouble with the 3rd x in razor 2 where the enemy are i surveyed the area and noticed a small cliff/hill overlooking the camp i went around the long way staying way out of range for the enemy to see me (this is after legging it from the 2nd x, i didn't want to tell the world I'm coming in the heli and didn't know what type of resistance i would be met with) so i slipped up to this cliff and attacked got head shot reloaded after a fair few reloads managed to take down 2 and withdrew to find a better position. attacked from the side they didn't see me coming due to the cliff and after many reloads took out the rest.

i guess what's getting to me is this is a mil sim and i want to play a mil sim and saving is not very sim like but I'm forced too because no matter what difficulty or tactic i use they kill me or my teammate its more luck then anything. i do realize that in war nothing is for certain but (BTW my aim is very good have been playing shooters for a long time) being recon a elite team we should be able to clear a camp of 6 or so enemy with ease, battle size needs to be a factor too i feel 5 men easy 20 men now that should be hard. i feel I'm not being rewarded for my tactics i don't know maybe I'm giving the AI too much credit and start playing it like a game and not real life.

just looking for some help i really want too know if im doing something wrong or if anyone else had this problem and fixed it by changing tactics or files lol. i really do love this game but being taken out with .5 second of spotting someone is not realistic when my team who have been trained for years can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn.

i really feel the game should pause while you issues orders because in real combat a commander is not flicking through menus to call out a command

If you think about it it is a good idea, you should submit that idea to the addon mod request thread, I would be up for adding that to my warmod series, i'd use it myself.

i remember reading somewhere someone edited a config to reduce the AI's accuracy I am not looking to Rambo around i want a long fight where if i peek I'm not dead.

Try this mod:

Infantry Stealth and Recognition Skills

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9604

mod allows the user to adjust several specific AI variables that effect the stealth movement

and recognition skills of the game.

and read the thread for that, you can adjust the AI in the userconfig so that their spotting and detection is reduced, even make it so reduced,

you literally have to be infront of them for them to shoot you, but if you play around with it they will only respond to you if you shoot,

its like a skill mod that you can tweak, I use it myself.

also the mods here:

TPWC AI suppression system

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=17049

This addon makes AI units react to passing projectiles.

Basically, you, your AI you command, and then enemy AI can be supressed.

TPWLOS

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...ht=suppression

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/481663/TPW_AI_LOS_104.zip (download)

This addon improves AI response and realism in closer engagements. It is based on SaOk's excellent line-of-sight code

which implements the new line intersects, terrain intersect, eye pos and eye direction commands introduced in OA beta patch 94103

(and simply won't work on earlier versions). TPWLOS works well with and nicely complements TPWCAS.

TPWLOS scans for enemies near each opfor or blufor or independent unit, determines if they have line of sight

to the enemy (no buildings or terrain in the way), runs a few more visibility checks based on light level, movement,

camouflage etc, and if the enemy is determined as visible then the unit will face towards and shoot at the enemy.

Reaction time should be well under a second, which greatly enhances squad response and aggression in CQB situations. you can supress the AI.

i guess what's getting to me is this is a mil sim and i want to play a mil sim and saving is not very sim like but I'm forced too because no matter what difficulty or tactic i use they kill me or my teammate its more luck then anything. i do realize that in war nothing is for certain but (BTW my aim is very good have been playing shooters for a long time) being recon a elite team we should be able to clear a camp of 6 or so enemy with ease, battle size needs to be a factor too i feel 5 men easy 20 men now that should be hard. i feel I'm not being rewarded for my tactics i don't know maybe I'm giving the AI too much credit and start playing it like a game and not real life.

I can understand that it would feel that your tactics you feel wouldn't work whent hey should, especially in other games,

I'd suggest a few things:

1 turn the difficulty down

2. learn to better command your AI

3. use suggested mods

4. review this page for better tactics and strategy:

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

Ha ha, i had a feeling someone would link my thread.

Yea man..you did a wonderful job back there..and lots of times i personally visited the 'exact' thread

to see..what's on A.I. today's "menu"

;)

i do change things up for example i was having trouble with the 3rd x in razor 2 where the enemy are i surveyed the area and noticed a small cliff/hill overlooking the camp i went around the long way staying way out of range for the enemy to see me (this is after legging it from the 2nd x, i didn't want to tell the world I'm coming in the heli and didn't know what type of resistance i would be met with) so i slipped up to this cliff and attacked got head shot reloaded after a fair few reloads managed to take down 2 and withdrew to find a better position. attacked from the side they didn't see me coming due to the cliff and after many reloads took out the rest.

What I would do in this situation is take my men and crawl up to the edge of that cliff overlooking the enemy. Make sure everyone is on prone and hold fire. Tell them to move into positions where they can see the enemy. Call out the enemies (generally right-clicking on them does that). Give each one of your men a different target. Machinegunners, officers, and snipers are normally the first guys I hit. Now from here your equipment becomes a factor. If they're in range you can throw a frag at a group of them your men aren't targeting and right after you release the grenade tell your men to open fire and then you join in. If you have a grenade launcher you could use that on them. Or you could just shoot one yourself.

I pretty much only use the AI in the following three manners:

1.) Covering me as I move and/or watching my flanks

2.) In an ambush (like I described above)

3.) Bait. This would be terrible if they were real people but in situations I am unsure of I will use them to draw fire and reveal a shooter's position. I try to do this rarely and wisely though. I don't like losing men. But when it comes to this game, if your AI die, you get to continue playing without them. If you die, no one gets to keep going. Granted I guess the Harvest Red campaign is an exception to this rule because if your AI die then you fail so I guess that rule doesn't apply here.

Wow thank you guys so much, installed asr ai mod, TPWC AI suppression system and TPWLOS and gameplay is so much fun i ran into some AI in a open field going from 1st x too 2nd they where poping smoke i could hear bullets wiz past my head fire fight lasted a good 5 mins it was so much fun thank you everyone for helping made AI 10000x better thank you so much

edit

downloading coslx and group link 4 special fx edition then restarting the campaign its that good : P

restarted the campaign and let me just say wow, anyone who is unhappy with the AI and feel its unrealistic download the mods mentioned before, i started "into the storm" and just planted the satchel blew it and was heading towards the meeting place forget its name and holy crap, i was getting pinned down by 3 enemy the first time bullets rushed past my head i ducked in real life lol the crack they made, after dealing with 2 of the 3 i realized we where getting flanked so moved back to cover my team and at the point knew i needed to get a move on otherwise more would come i just awoken a hornets nest after some intense fire fighting it seemed i was free and started heading towards the tree line and all of a sudden crack as more bullets went overhead we where pushed back to the town, i kept fighting until i knew it was all over as i heard the sound of a tank approaching i made a mad dash for the treeline in hopes of getting away so close about 10 meters out then i get caught with 2 or 3 bullets and die... this was the most fun i have had in a shooter in years i really mean that, this game is insane with mods thank for helping out

Edited by SlimPow

Haha, excellent, glad we could help.

Now if you wanted to take your game a step further, you should try a mod I built called COWarMod, which has about 215 gameplay addon and

mods in one mods except GL4 as i did not get permission to include that.

Link in my sig, COWarMod is basically a massive compilation mod that has almost all of the gameplay, AI enhancement, fixes, effects,

tracers,and other misc features all revolving around gameplay from the community modders.

The mod is customizable so you can basically play the game with some features and not others if you wish, its a real blast, especially when you see

the effects, and the AI do stuff you dont expect them to do, anyways I'll leave that up to you.

Any questions give me a shout, and or use my release thread.

I'm downloading it now :P, everything you have said has more then helped so why stop now lol : P thanks again

Personally i m using as 'standard' the AI mods below..

ACE+ASR_AI+TPW_LoS+TPWC_Suppression

Truth above! Tho I also use GL4 and Slx on top -it's dreamy. Speaking of TPW's LOS (based off of Saok's code) -you would think BI themselves would have wanted to implement something simliar since they released the code that makes it allowable. Hopefully a standard in 3.

i really feel the game should pause while you issues orders because in real combat a commander is not flicking through menus to call out a command

That's why you learn shortcuts.

In fact giving orders using shortcuts is MUCH faster than giving them using voice - which is already cheating reality. Pause will only make it worse.

Also when there's an enemy nearby and you give orders - they WILL hear you. So you should be careful even there.

i guess what's getting to me is this is a mil sim and i want to play a mil sim and saving is not very sim like but I'm forced too because no matter what difficulty or tactic i use they kill me or my teammate its more luck then anything.

No it's not. It's an indication that you are doing something very wrong. Like not giving orders - you MUST give orders, you MUST learn those commands, there's no other way to beat those missions save for ridiculous save/load spam. That means if you are getting shot easily - scrap what you were doing in the past 10 minutes and never repeat it again.

The game wasn't made by AI. It was made by people who tested and balanced it. It was also completed by a lot of people.

Also Harvest Red (until crappy CTI missions) is about avoiding combat whenever possible, not trying to shoot your way through. That's why you are recon.

See enemies? Yes? Are they on top of your objective? No? Move on.

Edited by metalcraze

from SlimPow

That's why you learn shortcuts.

In fact giving orders using shortcuts is MUCH faster than giving them using voice - which is already cheating reality. Pause will only make it worse.

And what shortcuts would those be, Im interested myself.

How would having pause make it worse? The way i see it when you hit the menu be it F1 - f12 for the units or backspace,space or which ever

you use to bring the menu up, the idea is for the game to pause, that means no one is moving, attacking, the game is at a stand still, so nothing

happens til you stop giving orders, thats what i think he had in mind.

On another note I do agree you need to learn how to command the AI:

this is a good guide:

ArmA II AI Squad Command

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_II_AI_Squad_Command

Also when there's an enemy nearby and you give orders - they WILL hear you. So you should be careful even there.

Does the AI actually respond to sound from other AI units be it orders, or just random voices, I know the AI respond to gunshots, but to a voice?

I dont recall ever seeing this ingame.

A.I. is much improved in the last two A2OA beta versions. All of this is part of ArmA III development too.

ai is defenitly getting better but it needs to WAY better for arma 3 . no point in having all those enterable buildings in arma 3 if ai wont use them as well.

AI in arma 2 is pretty spot on if you mix the right mod’s or should I say mix the right pbo's from mods. They have been using buildings more or less since A2 came out, thanks to GL4, although you would have to make missions based on the GL4 format..

AI using buildings and engaging the enemy..

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/211/arma2oa2012111205443675.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/203/arma2oa2012101423040643.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/arma2oa2012090921052358.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/arma2oa2012090906331488.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/arma2oa2012090906204296.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/arma2oa2012090803043525.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/arma2oa2012090803021336.png/

There are a few video’s in my sig below under ‘+ai behaviour’ showing this behaviour, its certainly not new behaviour..

Edited by ChrisB

Yeah, there is some AI fix mods on the internet. I have used one, but i cant remember where i downloaded it. Sorry.