Sign in to follow this  
Harrumph

Java

This looks more like offer about Continous Integration than using Java within the game

Possibly. Can't say it's definitely for ArmA 3, but at least it shows there is still some interest within BIS in Java.

That is the most promising I've seen yet. It is too bad I just signed a three year contract or I would send in my resume and try to convince BIS to let me telecommute from NYC (I still might).

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

This looks more like offer about Continous Integration than using Java within the game

But at least it means BIS has a Java code base that requires continuous integration!

The lack of communication from BIS on this severely important issue is immensely disappointing. How can you neglect to take a few minutes to respond to a well supported and phrased question from a large number of community members?

After well over a month of waiting, this is outrageous.

After well over a month of waiting, this is outrageous.

Why exactly do you think they owe you an official response within a time frame of your choosing? You may not have noticed this, but the devs tend to provide information at their own speed.

Not to mention that they haven't been very vocal at all in recent weeks. It's not like they're just ignoring you.

So you may aswell drop the false sense of entitlement and wait patiently like the rest of us.

Why exactly do you think they owe you an official response within a time frame of your choosing?

This is a reasonable customer service response time.

You may not have noticed this, but the devs tend to provide information at their own speed.

This thread hopefully highlights how lackluster their communication with the ArmA 3 community has been.

Not to mention that they haven't been very vocal at all in recent weeks.

DayZ dev blog

Arma 3 - online services Survey

So you may aswell drop the false sense of entitlement and wait patiently like the rest of us.

This really annoyed me. Here's a post from Forbes detailing precisely why it's an absurd term to use. Its subject is Mass Effect 3, but the general principle still stands.

(Bold is my emphasis)

But the notion that angry or disappointed fans are displaying a sense of “entitlement†is deeply misguided, and perhaps unique to the gaming industry – a myth perpetuated by the industry and, apparently, by many journalists who cover the industry. Consumers who purchase your goods or services are not acting like they’re “entitled†to something that they have no right to. This implies that they did nothing to deserve their frustration and have no right to complain. It’s a term that in this usage is interchangeable with “spoiled.â€

It’s also completely wrong-headed.

Colin says that there’s a “proper†way to complain, but he never really says what that is beyond not buying games or DLC that you don’t like. That’s fine advice, as far as it goes, but I’m not sure why it’s “proper†whereas asking for a new ending is the act of a bunch of selfish children stomping their feet.

What Colin is really saying is that gamers have no investment in the games they play and love (or hate.) It’s the same attitude you hear in politics when someone says “If you don’t love America, why don’t you go somewhere else?â€

But gamers really do have investment in their games – often more than in television, a medium where you hear plenty of discontent from fans (yet no television reviewers, to my knowledge, calling the fans “entitled.â€) Gamers are often involved in modding games after release, often with the blessing of the developers. New texture packs, characters, or maps are common in games like Skyrim or Valve’s catalogue.

The relationship between gamer and developer, and across the entire community, is a social and participatory relationship. Gamers may not work on the actual development of a title like Mass Effect 3, but they’ve invested their time and money and support into that franchise and there is no one “proper†way to complain about the ending. Nor are angry fans merely “entitled†or “spoiled†simply for angrily voicing their concerns or asking for a new ending.

They have been pretty vocal over the years about almost everything here in the foruns and CIT. Add Skype channels, IRC, social networks and a somewhat special treatment for community members while in conventions and you have one of the most active devs out there.

They have been pretty vocal over the years about almost everything here in the foruns and CIT. Add Skype channels, IRC, social networks and a somewhat special treatment for community members while in conventions and you have one of the most active devs out there.

Given this, why is this topic still unanswered?

Because they don't need to answer every fucking question around here.

Again: because they provide info at their own leisure. We're talking about a pre-alpha game that is still under development here; any answer they could give you now may well change in a few weeks or months (see the "3D editor fiasco").

Also, re: the post above: you're not a customer yet. Demanding advanced info on unconfirmed features in an unfinished product has nothing to do with customer support.

Again: because they provide info at their own leisure.

What they actually do and should do are entirely different things. I'm precisely arguing that their customer service is unsatisfactory.

Demanding advanced info on unconfirmed features in an unfinished product has nothing to do with customer support.

It is a 'confirmed' (cough 3D editor) feature.

Are people only treated as customers after a purchase is complete? That's absurd. The equivalent would be a salesperson refusing to help you before you had purchased anything (on this visit to the store) because "You're not a customer yet".

Edited by Harrumph
Grammar

Again, apples and oranges. A salesperson is trying to sell you a finished product, not something that is still in the design stage. (There's that distinction again.) The answers you want may well change by next week, so what's the point in answering yet? You yourself expertly pointed out one of the best examples of why giving out information before it is fully confirmed can be detrimental. I'd say it's safe to assume that the implementation of Java is not a high priority for them (just like the 3D editor), so they cannot yet say whether or not (or in what form) it will make it into the game. Simple as that.

All of that aside, let me point out some simple facts: There are no BI salespeople here. This is not a customer support forum. No one here owes you an explanation for anything.

Edited by MadDogX

Given the fact that even the CEO of the company regularly posts on the forum, I cannot complain about BIS' community communication.

Sure, getting news is always fun, but that doesn't mean the lack of them is an outrage.

I dont really see the need for having to know this within such a short time period, or at least this long before the release. Its not like you can script stuff before the release anyway?

If its not in you can always decide not to buy it when its out.

This is a reasonable customer service response time.

This thread hopefully highlights how lackluster their communication with the ArmA 3 community has been.

DayZ dev blog

Arma 3 - online services Survey

This really annoyed me. Here's a post from Forbes detailing precisely why it's an absurd term to use. Its subject is Mass Effect 3, but the general principle still stands.

(Bold is my emphasis)

I feel I should interject regarding this Mass Effect 3 article. Your link to the mass effect 3 article has nothing to do with the user comments regarding entitlement in this issue. You are demanding pre-beta development information, not complaining about a developer that makes you pay for patches to fix known issues. Historically, PC game developers have provided continuing support for their titles for free. This has definitely contributed to consumer expectations: That flaws in the product you have already purchased will be addressed. However, I don't believe that any developer has ever promised information on the implementation of pre-alpha features in development of a game you haven't even bought yet. The information that the developers do give us is unprecedented. I think that sometimes they are far more open than they ought to be. To assume you are entitled to specific information about their current activities or future plans is ridiculous. That article has nothing to do with this issue- and assuming that Erik Kain's opinion about Colin Moriarty's behavior invalidates every claim about consumer entitlement, and actually somehow empowers you to know minuscule details about BI's development state is missing the point of the article entirely. If you are going to site resources, you should make sure you're not portraying someone's opinion as fact, and that the article is actually relevant to the topic. If there is a valid point in the article you are abusing it.

Edited by Max Power

I dont really see the need for having to know this within such a short time period, or at least thing long before the release. Its not like you can script stuff before the release anyway?

Actually we can - TKOH already implements a very crude version of the Java scripting interface.

If this is confirmed to be present, work on general features for ArmA 3 could be started in TKOH. An example of this would be a proper OO layer around the RVEngine static methods, and possibly a java-side solution to the race conditions that are experienced.

Actually we can - TKOH already implements a very crude version of the Java scripting interface.

If this is confirmed to be present, work on general features for ArmA 3 could be started in TKOH. An example of this would be a proper OO layer around the RVEngine static methods, and possibly a java-side solution to the race conditions that are experienced.

Thats almost too eager. :p

Thats almost too eager. :p

It's going to need to be done in some or other form before the Java implementation can be used for any larger projects.

I'm not expanding any effort on this until I have some confirmation of the status.

It's going to need to be done in some or other form before the Java implementation can be used for any larger projects.

I'm not expanding any effort on this until I have some confirmation of the status.

The same here.

I though about writing a mysql persistent database connection with Java for the upcoming Arma3.

But, because the Java future in Arma3 is unsure, I use my sparetime to develop other things in sqf for Arma3 right now.

if you do it right, then implant c# and not java... c# is the future, trust me.

ps: currently c# is 20x quicker then java and the community needs a quick language for good mods. For example = more fps, quicker server "services", quicker client "services" etc... For a server with many players, we need more that only scripts... scripts are very very slow.

Edited by Bensch

probably because they figured out that java is horrible for making anything, let alone games, and that they should be using something like LUA for this instead. You know, a language actually designed for engine integration.

I'm all for revamping arma's scripting system, but doing it with java is kinda like jumping off a bridge while shooting yourself repeatedly. I challenge anyone to come up with an example of a game that uses java that actually runs well. (don't say minecraft, it does NOT run well)

As for the talk about other languages, I thought the reasoning for using the JVM was that people could use whichever language they prefer as long as it had a JVM compiler. It'd be really disappointing if they were to give up on the java implementation as it seemed really promising, even though personally I'd prefer Lua I had planned on using luaj with JVM.

As for the talk about other languages, I thought the reasoning for using the JVM was that people could use whichever language they prefer as long as it had a JVM compiler. It'd be really disappointing if they were to give up on the java implementation as it seemed really promising, even though personally I'd prefer Lua I had planned on using luaj with JVM.

I would be happy if I could change the JVM compiler itself. It would be interesting to use the seemingly useless IJVM part of my assembly course that we were all forced to learn.

Then again, it's probably not worth the effort anyways. Making a simple calculator in IJVM was silly enough.