Sign in to follow this  
Harrumph

Java

Well, pragmatically I don't see how it could affect you either way: either it will or it won't, and having *some* information now will do what exactly?

For me, it would give me some indication how much time and effort I should spend playing around with the the Java API in TOH. If further development is still planned, but just on hold, I will continue working with the API, looking for bugs and suggesting solutions. If the Java experiment is over then I won't waste my time.

For me, it would give me some indication how much time and effort I should spend playing around with the the Java API in TOH. If further development is still planned, but just on hold, I will continue working with the API, looking for bugs and suggesting solutions. If the Java experiment is over then I won't waste my time.

Well said

You should not bother waiting for a official response, the developers here are similar to some secretive regime that kills its own people to survive.

You should not bother waiting for a official response, the developers here are similar to some secretive regime that kills its own people to survive.

Maybe you've not been in too many communities that have an open dev/customer relationship, but they always turn to shit. I remember the B-17 2 debacle, unfortunately. If I were a game dev, I would develop in isolation, it's simply not worth the trouble.

how would you know?

how would you know?

Do not question his logic, Pufu. BIS do not immediately respond to every query from the community, therefore they are akin to mass murderers.

This should be obvious to everyone here.

Do not question his logic, Pufu. BIS do not immediately respond to every query from the community, therefore they are akin to mass murderers.

This should be obvious to everyone here.

This man has the right idea folks.

This man has the right idea folks.

*facepalm*

*facepalm*

Do not question my logic, embrace it.

This well supported thread has been in existence for almost a month without any response from the developers. This reflects very badly on Bohemia's community involvement with regards to ArmA 3.

I would like to think, as a future customer, that I am entitled to an answer about the features of the product I am interested in purchasing.

If this forum is an unsuitable location for information to be requested, please could you direct me to an appropriate contact address to find out this information about your product.

I asked Dwarden on Skype about this. The answer was: no comment currently, and not for some time. Hopefully the "not for some time" means it's still planned.

Edited by batto

This well supported thread has been in existence for almost a month without any response from the developers.
Haven't Ivan and Martin been you-know-what "almost a month"? I'm honestly not expecting anything out of BI until those two are back safe at home, nor do I consider that silence a negative against BI WRT customer service.

Haven't Ivan and Martin been you-know-what "almost a month"? I'm honestly not expecting anything out of BI until those two are back safe at home, nor do I consider that silence a negative against BI WRT customer service.

They have over 140 employees. I'm sure they can manage a few minutes to inform the community on the status of this critical and promised feature for ArmA 3.

Besides this, at least Ivan was involved in DayZ rather than ArmA 3:

Hall: Day Z will release with “Chernarus Plus†which is basically down to Ivan, who went around it adding a lot more enterable buildings, a whole bunch of terrain tweaks, and even some new areas.
Source: Cherno Plus: Hall On Day Z’s Standalone Future

Harrumph you are making wrong conclusions. See what batto and eddieck said.

;2243782']Harrumph you are making wrong conclusions. See what batto and eddieck said.
I asked Dwarden on Skype about this. The answer was: no comment currently' date=' and not for some time. Hopefully the "not for some time" means it's still planned.[/quote']

This is not a valid answer to the carefully phrased question I specified in the original post. It provides absolutely no new information or reasons as to why no new information is being given. Hell, he might as well have answered with "Potato" or something equally inane.

Secondly, I used the term 'formal' when referring to my requested answer, as I would like some guarantee of it's surity, given BIS' dropping of other critical features such as the 3D editor. An off-handed comment to an individual community member in a private communication is nowhere near anything approaching a 'formal' statement.

Just out of curiosity, why is this topic so important to you?

As for the motivation behind this thread, as well as my general frustration: A large amount of extremely inventive and novel enhancements to the game are possible currently with scripting in SQF. I'm shocked and amazed that the developers seem completely unable to realize what a significant difference adding a proper scripting language would make to their own (and modding community's) development cycles. Is all programming on their side done in imperative C using only a text editor with basic highlighting? Why is this need not recognized at all?

SQF is nothing short of a nightmare to work in due to awful syntax, slow execution speed and a complete lack of critical programming features as I have outlined in the original post. It is highly frustrating to work with it as it lacks all of the features of many freely available tools, which are used worldwide on a daily basis.

Secondly, I used the term 'formal' when referring to my requested answer, as I would like some guarantee of it's surity, given BIS' dropping of other critical features such as the 3D editor. An off-handed comment to an individual community member in a private communication is nowhere near anything approaching a 'formal' statement.

I agree that a formal statement would be nice. However, I'd like to note that Dwarden's comment wasn't private - it was made in the Linux ArmA Server Skype group on October 3rd. If you'd like to find it, just search for "Java."

SQF is nothing short of a nightmare to work in due to awful syntax, slow execution speed and a complete lack of critical programming features as I have outlined in the original post. It is highly frustrating to work with it as it lacks all of the features of many freely available tools, which are used worldwide on a daily basis.

Agreed.

Wouldn´t that introduce a whole range of security issues?

This is not a valid answer to the carefully phrased question I specified in the original post. It provides absolutely no new information or reasons as to why no new information is being given. Hell, he might as well have answered with "Potato" or something equally inane.

You know, people are trying to give you what they have. I might guess you would prefer a silent thread with no communication at all if a BIS developer wont speak to you personally? The information you're getting is all the information we have.

Is all programming on their side done in imperative C using only a text editor with basic highlighting?

Legends say that Suma manually flips bits with nothing but a magnetic needle and a steady hand.

While i would like to see Java in A3 as well, i do not think that SQF is as bad as you say. It is incredibly easy to learn and can be written very quickly. As you said it does miss some features which are quite essential in 'real' languages, however most things SQF is currently used for wouldnt really benefit from that at all, since their scope is relavitely small. I have experience with Java outside of TOH, but after trying it in TOH i would say that it is too much of a hassle for pretty much everything i ever did in OFP/A1/A2. (Of course it has to be noted that it was so far from finished that it wasnt really usable anyway, so the comparison is not entirely fair. And most things i did in OFP/A1 were before i had any real programming experience, but even now i would still use SQF over Java, unless i had some kind of immense project in mind)

Edited by NeMeSiS

You know, people are trying to give you what they have. I might guess you would prefer a silent thread with no communication at all if a BIS developer wont speak to you personally? The information you're getting is all the information we have.

Hence my request for new information - the supposed 'developer comment' is not a valid response to the original question.

As you said it does miss some features which are quite essential in 'real' languages, however most things SQF is currently used for wouldnt really benefit from that at all, since their scope is relavitely small. I have experience with Java outside of TOH, but after trying it in TOH i would say that it is too much of a hassle for pretty much everything i ever did in OFP/A1/A2. (Of course it has to be noted that it was so far from finished that it wasnt really usable anyway, so the comparison is not entirely fair.

You are correct - for basic tasks, ANY language with a bare minimum of features is good enough.

but even now i would still use SQF over Java, unless i had some kind of immense project in mind)

However, it's precisely for those larger projects that I'm passionately arguing in favour of this. As 'computing ability' increases (through more expressive languages, faster clock rates, or even more processors) people have always tackled bigger tasks instead of saving time or budget. A good example of this is the progression in animated films from Toy Story to Avatar.

I have no doubt that with the proper tools we'd see a larger number of valuable additions to the ArmA being made.