Sign in to follow this  
Harrumph

Java

Is there any chance of getting a comment on this now?

Sure here you go, a comment ;-)

Sure here you go, a comment ;-)

Haha, I thought maybe I should have worded it differently!

Haha, I thought maybe I should have worded it differently!

Heh, at least it would reduce the chance of someone (like me...) exploiting it with cheap humor :P

If they aren't going to implement Java or another language, we need some more commands and abilities added to SQF. They added quite a bit between ArmA 1 and ArmA 2, I hope that trend continues.

I'd love to see native support for database/ I/O without the need of external DLLs.

Most importantly they shouldn't replace SQF with anything to retain compatibility. Would be great if Java was executed like it is for webpages and stuff, as a separate code/scripts that are called.

Most importantly they shouldn't replace SQF with anything to retain compatibility. Would be great if Java was executed like it is for webpages and stuff, as a separate code/scripts that are called.

Could still work via file extension/exec call. You could still run SQS files via "exec", and SQF via "execVM". Nothing would stop them from adding an "execLUA" or "execJVM" call to the fray, in fact, I do hope they do that. No point in replacing SQF because there's still a lot of stuff written in SQF that is very much relevant.

Agreed, breaking backwards compatibility would be a ridiculous idea right now. Luckily:

Note: this will not replace SQF scripting, so the transition should be smooth.

So is that Java implementation "in addition to"/supplementing SQF?

That seems to have been their plan a year ago.