Sign in to follow this  
h34dup

[CAMP] Lions of Kandahar

Sent a second round of PMs to Wiki, domokun, Savage CDN, and Laqueesha (who already sent the recordings back, the man is a MACHINE).

This coming week should see a lot of progress, stay tuned!

Anyone have a good video screen capture program I could check into by the way? Would love to be able to share some vids of the intros/outros.

EDIT for UPDATE:

Intro/Outro mostly completed for Missions 4, 5, and part of 6 yesterday. I'm sure today will see even more progress.

EDIT for UPDATE 2:

Yesterday saw a lot of progress-- thanks once again to AZCoder, Wiki, Kommiekat and Laqueesha for getting me a large portion of the voice acting needed.

Added all the new dialogue to Missions 2, 5, 9, and 11, still have to do 10, 12, 13, and figure out 14. Voice acting gets dropped in easily once the dialogue is in-place, but I try to master each sample so this takes time. And then there's the endeavor of intros/outros. I'm really pleased with what I came up with earlier in the weekend, this is almost half way done now.

Edited by h34dup

Last night, I got the dialogue sorted for Missions 12 and 13 -- essentially, as I go through and add the lines, it forces me to finalize almost all aspects of the mission. So, all I have left to do this for are Missions 10 and 14 (which still needs to be written), along with a few minor adjustments to Missions 1, 5, 9 and 10. Then all I need to finish off is the intros/outros.

Things will be ready for a round of closed testing with only partial voice acting pretty soon. I'll try to address any obvious or easy fixes before public release. Early December is still looking like a good ETA.

Now, why don't you get acquainted with some of the main characters of the story:

Rusty - Team Leader, Talon 31 - The author of the book, much of the story is told through his perspective. He is a humble but effective leader who cares for his men more than anything else, even his own well-being.

mLzl7l.jpg

Jared - Company Commander, Talon 30 - The commander of ODA 331, Jared acts as Command & Control element throughout the campaign.

OGZPCl.jpg

Bill - Team Sgt, Talon 31 - A supporting character, basically Rusty's assistant TL, you play as Bill in Mission 5 and the Epilogue.

z9EYKl.jpg

Dave - Engineer, Talon 31 - Dave is responsible for the team's vehicles, but he goes above and beyond any chance he gets. You play as Dave in Missions 7, 11, and 12.

WF6jql.jpg

Brian - Sr. Comms Sgt, Talon 31 - Brian is the communications tech responsible for keeping all the radio equipment in working order.

0cK50l.jpg

Riley - Sr. Medical Sgt, Talon 31 - Riley plays a dual role as both medic and machine gunner. His courage and calmness under fire is legendary.

g30Tfl.jpg

Zack - Weapons Sgt, Talon 31 - Zack is the team's weapons sergeant, ensuring you have access to any weapons available during the briefing (each mission allows you to customize your loadout during the briefing with various weapons depending on the mission)

rjbaxl.jpg

Smitty - Intel Sgt, Talon 31 - Smitty is the team's intelligence analyst, you don't interact with him much, but he's there in the end.

xX8eFl.jpg

Hey headup!!

Great news!

Here is a little suggestion: dunno if you use the chinook in your campaign, but if you do, why dont you use the MH-47E that konyo released a few hours ago?

Hey about half done the scripts... work has been a bitch but will get them completed by tomorrow...sorry for the delay (again)

Hey about half done the scripts... work has been a bitch but will get them completed by tomorrow...sorry for the delay (again)

No need to apologize yet, dude. I haven't gone through and mastered/dropped in the voice acting sound files yet-- though this will likely happen later in the week/weekend. Since I've got the dialogue set up already, all I need to do is drop the files into the proper "radio" folder and they should work automatically. Should be pretty easy.

There will be a handful of characters who will still need some voice acting done. Any that I am not able to do myself I'll try to have someone else work on.

We're getting close, folks. We're getting reeeeeal close.

Huge thanks go out to Laqueesha, he has completed two hefty rounds of voice acting for LoK, getting the lines turned around and to me in less than 24 hrs in both cases, and with excellent quality too! Seriously, hats-off to him, and to the others who are helping me out. With the voice stuff squared away, I'll be able to focus on tightening up the final mission details and then the intros/outros... a final audit, maybe some pre-release testing for those who have helped, and then release time! The ETA is still late this month, or early/mid December!

No problem, man. The pleasure is all mine. I can't wait to play the campaign; it's looking great from those screens you put out. Keep up the good work. :)

Should be fun to figure out whose voice is whose.

The most cheesiest voice will most likely be mine......hahaha!

Can't wait to hear Wiki........."Hey, go kill that guy over there! But before you do that, let's open this bottle of 1988 Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Did you bring the cheese and bread? Good private you are!"

shit! I've been spotted!

so what?

good red Bordeaux wine and good cheese + bread = nothing better in the world!

French gastronomie power!

Should be fun to figure out whose voice is whose.

The most cheesiest voice will most likely be mine......hahaha!

Can't wait to hear Wiki........."Hey, go kill that guy over there! But before you do that, let's open this bottle of 1988 Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Did you bring the cheese and bread? Good private you are!"

In case anyone of us non-French speakers are wondering how to pronounce Châteauneuf-du-Pape:

Anyway, I had a chance yesterday to record all the voice lines I had assigned myself (mostly just Rusty), and put together the overview images. Pretty soon it'll be time to start packing everything up. I've never tried putting together a Campaign .pbo, but I've read about it and it looks like you just need to have a special Description.ext file in the root directory. The other thing I need to look into is whether you need any special code to get intros/outros to run, or if they do so automatically. If anyone has insight on either to offer, that'd be helpful and appreciated!

So what remains is to master the voice stuff and drop it in, address any missing lines (I am going to need to do something about all the Afghan characters who don't have voice acting), finish off the intros/outros, and add a couple of final details. If anyone feel like they could do a good Afghan/Paki/Indian-sounding accent, please let me know, I could use a bit of assistance.

putting up a campaign in pbo is really easy.

just take one of mine and unpbo it - it's quite easy!

or if you want, when everything is finished, just send me all the fils and folder, and I'll do it for you.

How about Music Wiki?

I've got custom music in a folder Music, for all the missions in the Camp.

Does the Music folder go into the Main mission folder or do I need a Music folder for each and every mission folder?

just take one of mine and unpbo it - it's quite easy!

or if you want, when everything is finished, just send me all the fils and folder, and I'll do it for you.

I have a really unreliable unPBO tool, I could use a stable one for creating the PBO. I would be fine to send you all the files to pack up when the initial release is ready, if needed. Thanks for the offer!

How about Music Wiki?

I've got custom music in a folder Music, for all the missions in the Camp.

Does the Music folder go into the Main mission folder or do I need a Music folder for each and every mission folder?

Each and every mission folder, I would think? Maybe not. I have all my music in the fx folder of the individual mission. That's another loose end I need to tie up, there are already a bunch of tracks in there, but I really loved the ambience from the music in For Guglovo. I had been mulling with putting some ambient/drone stuff in the soundtrack but couldn't see it doing anything but being out of place. But it was nailed in For Guglovo, and I can now see where it could fit. Also have a few techno tracks I'm going to put in as "Dave's" DJ picks, the problem is I'm house-centric and all my techno is not aggressive enough for what I'd imagine Dave to have been into. Either way, you'll get a taste of my music library in the Camp.

Latest clips sent off!! Let me know how bad my Afghan accent is :p

Crumbs those screenshots look good.

What settings do you use to achieve such sharp looking faces?

FYI I finished the voice-overs, uploaded and sent you the link so check your PM.

My Dutch sounds more like a saffer, my yank was thankfully terse and my afghan started sounding like Ali G.

I hope you're feeling indulgent.

As for the Châteauneuf it's just up the road from me and it's worth every penny. I don't think I've ever drunk a bad bottle. Too many bottles on the other hand...

I have a ton of voice work now, almost everything is done. AND EVERYONE SOUNDS GREAT- seriously, thanks to everyone who has gotten involved in this project. The voice recordings are all excellent for what they need to do, we're not talking about Gary Oldman as Victor Reznov, we're talking about gamers coming together to help a modder achieve a vision, it's heartwarming in a sense. OK so I've laid out the next steps, I'll keep you guys updated.

Crumbs those screenshots look good.

What settings do you use to achieve such sharp looking faces?

I simply set the Video settings to Very High. My framerate tanks, but it's just so pretty, what a powerful engine RV is.

EDIT for UPDATE: I mastered and flowed in all the voice acting from everyone - 90-95% of the voice acting is now done!! I will ensure everything is perfect on that end when I do my final run-through and audit, which is close at hand.

Now, I have a pressing issue with Mission #1. I'm considering simply removing the part that is causing an issue. I'm having problems with a script never triggering properly, the frame rate seems to take a hit as well, I'm at a loss for what to do. Perhaps I should wait until I get some testing and suggestions from others?

Edited by h34dup

Not sure if I can fix it but I'll take a look if you want to fire it my way

tell me (even in MP if you prefer) what exactly is going on with the trigger, how it is supposed to work, on what condition etc...

tell me (even in MP if you prefer) what exactly is going on with the trigger, how it is supposed to work, on what condition etc...

Thanks Wiki, I believe you may have seen this issue when you did the early testing play-through - it has to do with the trigger in IED alley not going off when it's supposed to (when a trigger grouped to the player is activated), sometimes one thing happens and not the others until 10 seconds later, sometimes nothing happens at all. I'll PM you all the specifics and upload the mission in question for you to have a look at.

Savage, if Wiki is stumped, I'll send it your way. I was going to open up a non-public testing round to you and a few others who have helped me out on this project.

I've fixed your problem with the trigger.

PM sent!

Thanks to Wiki's help, the issue with Mission 1 is resolved. Kommiekat submitted the last of Dave's voice lines, which means that the 2nd full round of voice acting is done. I am taking care of all un-voiced lines myself, or I'll be sending a couple of PMs to those who did characters with lines I still need. Perhaps in a future update I'll be able to replace our goofy attempts at an Afghan accent with authentic ones, I wasn't able to get together with my friend in time.

There will be a brief, closed round of testing for missions 1-5 later this week, while I try to focus on the last few steps before release-- finishing the intros/outros for missions 7-14, adding music and details, and auditing the entire thing to ensure consistency. Stay tuned!

EDIT for UPDATE: Closed Testing for Missions 1-5 has begun! I went and completed 99% (only a couple voice lines missing AFAIK) of each mission last night, did a brief test run myself, and then began to send out to my testers. Missions 6-13 should not be far behind. As for the Epilogue, well, I'll get to it when I can.

Edited by h34dup

Testing for Missions 1-5 by a small core group has been yielding some very helpful feedback! Here are a couple of the more positive points of feedback:

I love the missions so far, the producion values are great, and the voice acting by all those people really add to the immersion. This feels like something that would've came with the game; that's how good it is. I loved the second mission, where you play as an A.N.A. soldier, that was unique and refreshing.
Your attention to detail is really impressive, I must say. It sure makes the place seem alive. I even saw some dude on a balcony down the hill watching me as I ran through the ************. The ************ scene looked really good too, with the glass, the animations, the body bags, good stuff.

Meanwhile, I figured out how to get custom cutRsc's working, so the intro sequence is even cooler now with the LoK logo and my HeadUp logo in there. Also added more music, including some authentic Afghan Star pop music, because even though the Taliban tried to outlaw music as sacrilegious, the Afghan people demand their tunes!

maybe you could add the new MRAP in the campaign? the RG-31 Mk5 ?