Sign in to follow this  
OverpaidUnderdog

ARMA 3 Building Destruction

Hello everyone. I was wondering what status of the building destruction in ARMA 3 was? Is it going to be the same as it was in ARMA 2, or will ARMA 3 feature more dynamic building destruction. I read that all the buildings on limnos will be enterable and destructible (in the confirmed features thread), so I was just wondering how the destruction aspect would play out in ARMA 3. Thanks for reading, I apologize beforehand if there was already a thread about this, when I checked I couldn't find anything.

Have a great day, and I look forward to seeing you in the ARMA 3 alpha :)

Most likely it will be like ArmA 2: Operation Arrowhead, I wouldn't expect anything dynamic because the sheer detail and mass of the buildings compared to say games developed by Dice is incomparable. It would crash your computer if you would try and blow up a small village with bombs in ArmA 3 with Dynamic building destruction. If ArmA 3 really wanted to murder your system they would put Dynamic Lighting on Everything and have everything cast a shadow including the debris of a blowing up building.

BF:BC2 and BF3 buildings destructions aren't "dynamic", rather procedual (something like ARMA, but they don't replace the whole building with another one damaged) but with much more particles and FX stuff. There are some debris, but they fade away quite quickly.

My understanding of the destruction BFBC2 is this; when a certain amount of the buildings walls are gone, it starts the collapse sequence. I'd like to see a similar system in ARMA 3; it doesn't have to be as detailed, that would obviously make the game too hard to run. What I'd really like to see is better visual on the destroyed buildings and more buildings that can be partially destroyed; with all the polish they're putting on this game it'll probably be there.

I'm not trying to nitpick here, I just love destructible buildings in games. It's nice to know I have that control over my surroundings.

Most of what devs talk about is animations\sweet new graphics\underwater thingy\lightning effects.

Id definately love to hear (and see) the destructible buildings and damage model (both on soldiers and vehicles)

Sorry i misused Dynamic what i meant though is destroying parts of buildings without destroying the entire building like BF

Arma III will have more dynamic building destruction. In fact I think I remember seeing a video that talks about BIS hiring Michael Bay to make them explode when the begin to crack.

But seriously, It was was possible to destroy parts of a building without blowing it to smithereens. Though they where like pre-made destruction stages.

But seriously, It was was possible to destroy parts of a building without blowing it to smithereens. Though they where like pre-made destruction stages.

I kind of figure that they'll keep that system, but improve the animations and particel effects on the destruction. I also hope that they add that feature to all or most buildings.

Just give us the good stuff. Mega-satchels to blow shit up!

Do you think it would be possible to get fully destroyable buildings on much smaller maps (with real virtuality)?

I think what we're talking here is a combination of Frost 2 and RV4...I think that's something that will be implemented in 3-5 years, but not now.

Sorry i misused Dynamic what i meant though is destroying parts of buildings without destroying the entire building like BF

thats where/why CE3 superior compared to DICE engine and to UE4 too, btw.

i think it will be similar to arma 2

x amount of damage destroys half the building

y amount of damage destroys the entire building

don't expect any battlefield/transformers explosions though. just a cloud of smoke and maybe debris with physx.

i think it will be similar to arma 2

x amount of damage destroys half the building

y amount of damage destroys the entire building

don't expect any battlefield/transformers explosions though. just a cloud of smoke and maybe debris with physx.

its already done in OFP:R times by buildings add-on makers.

guess, why BIS wasn't adopted that too.

In ARMA 2, many of the buildings were partially destructible (you could blow out parts of walls without collapsing the entire structure), others weren't. Most of the buildings that had enterable sections were like this. I guess I'm wondering if the ALL of the buildings in ARMA 3 will be like this. In the confirmed features, it says that all the buildings on Limnos will be enterable and destructible (just check the ARMA 3 confirmed features thread). So does that mean they will be partially destructible, or will it be like ARMA 2, where they only certain ones are?

In ARMA 2, many of the buildings were partially destructible (you could blow out parts of walls without collapsing the entire structure), others weren't. Most of the buildings that had enterable sections were like this. I guess I'm wondering if the ALL of the buildings in ARMA 3 will be like this. In the confirmed features, it says that all the buildings on Limnos will be enterable and destructible (just check the ARMA 3 confirmed features thread). So does that mean they will be partially destructible, or will it be like ARMA 2, where they only certain ones are?

present buildings are as anything within engine/products based around simple idea "perform/function reasonably resource-efficient".

anything we're discussing above, can be done in Arma2, but implemented in buildings add-on[bot additional objects and built-in override], can be tremendous resource hog even on Utes/Intro island :[

present buildings are as anything within engine/products based around simple idea "perform/function reasonably resource-efficient".

anything we're discussing above, can be done in Arma2, but implemented in buildings add-on[bot additional objects and built-in override], can be tremendous resource hog even on Utes/Intro island :[

Which add on's? How do I access these add ons?

Have a look at what was said on the subject in 2007 by Ondřej Španěl

ARMA 2 - Building Destruction

Main problems with the full dynamic destruction system shown for Game2 were AI pathfinding and MP sync.

I don't think BIS position has moved much since and will move much for next release but in a more distant future nobody can tell what can happens with PhysX implementation and evolution.

Edited by Old Bear

Well, that was then. AI in ArmA II is notoriously moronic even in a fixed environment, but BIS promised to do something with that. Multiplayer might still be a big problem here, as well as creation pipeline. I think that attempting it for AIII could overcome these obstacles, the question is if it's feasible.

I don't really know that it's necessary. As people have pointed out, the game is already enough of a resource hog with all the things it has to load. Do we really need buildings blowing up to complicate that? Not only that but then you are going to have people going onto servers and blowing up buildings over and over in an attempt to crash a server or destroy a base.

I don't know much about PhysX, but it seems like it could possibly help facilitate more advanced building destruction, with not too much of a performance hit (I mean, as far as I can imagine, the necessary calculations need only be done when an explosive hits a building, and the implementation doesn't need to be 100% accurate to RL if doing so would cause significant performance drops). The AI could still be a problem though.

I can imagine the debris flying and a large chunk of concrete swoops a whole squad like a flying bowling ball.

I can imagine the debris flying and a large chunk of concrete swoops a whole squad like a flying bowling ball.

A whole new way to fail your favorite missions.:dancehead:

I'm sure we'd all love to see BF3 building destruction, but honestly what is the point?

Think about this: Leveling buildings is mostly just for fun now, because enemies in ArmA 2 don't enter buildings (without a mod), so you are mostly destroying EMPTY buildings lol!

It only really serves a point when playing Warfare, or Domination AKA destroying a building as an objective, so why would it need to be as dynamic or realistic as it is in BF3?

Do you really need to blow a chunk out of a wall to enter a building so to shoot up the bad guys in ArmA 3 as you would do in BF3? NO.

If you blow up a building with enemies in it regardless of if it's dynamic like BF3 the enemies that were inside still die just the same! LOL!

I know it's a "new" feature now (enemies indoors) for ArmA 3, but will they take advantage of it?

I just don't feel that being able to dynamically destroy buildings is really that much of an important feature IMHO for the ArmA series.

I'm fine with how it's done in ArmA 2, as it serves its purpose.

*A better thing to push for would be more "Dynamic" / "Realistic" vechicle damage! Now that serves a purpose! ;)

Edited by Ash712

BF3 building destruction isn't realistic. M203s and RPGs aren't going to knock down whole sections of wall.

What we really need is progressive penetration of walls by bullets. Dynamic structure destruction comes later if realism and gameplay is your goal.