sickboy

Play withSIX Community Preview [Evolution of SIX Launcher and in time also SU]

? But in PwS I always select "No" to updating Beta's and Patches etc, so why is PwS still doing something in the background?

Gnat;2222879']? But in PwS I always select "No" to updating Beta's and Patches etc' date=' so why is PwS still doing something in the background?[/quote']

The option is ignored if:

a) No beta is found in the mod installation location

or

b) A beta is found with SIX .rsync subfolder

It was intended to give users the option to manually manage the Beta of choice, but still take care of it if the User doesn't,

due to some mods requiring a specific Beta (or newer).

The BE installation is probably not sensitive to this Option at all and I consider it a bug that we'll fix,

documented at: http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/battleye_is_installed_regardless_of_beta_update_or_update_beta_option

I do believe the option and implementation should be reconsidered as well, as it is somewhat misleading and also not very flexible,

which i've documented at: http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/reconsider_the_update_beta_patches_option

I really like Play With Six, I find myself checking it out every day sometimes several times throughout the day.

Good job Sickboy and rest of the team!

OK, thanks for the explanation SB.

I think you see it, but I would expand on what I think is a general PC rule, if a user isn't given an "express" install or update option, then any time a user says NO to downloading (updates, exe's dll's, PBO's etc), thats end of story. Nothing comes down the line.

Cheers.

Play withSIX update released, we've reached build 100! Also several website improvements included!

http://play.withsix.com/changelog

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

I really like Play With Six, I find myself checking it out every day sometimes several times throughout the day.

Good job Sickboy and rest of the team!

Thanks a lot mate, enjoy the updates and looking forward to more feedback and reports!

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

Is Take on Helicopters supported? I only see Arma in my game list.

Hi,

Currently only Operation Arrowhead, or combined with ARMA2 Original (making Combined Ops) are supported in PwS (same for SIX Launcher).

Support for TakeOnHelicopters etc will be added in coming time, together with more features ported from SIX Updater:

http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/six_updater_mod_list_and_functions_available_in_withsix

Edited by Sickboy

Yeah, I wish devs (i.e. BI) wouldn't do this as having My Documents filled with tons of folders for games/applications makes it hard to find your actual documents

yes, annoying to say the least. being forced to flush clean the folder manually every time one finishes editing or an auto saving occurs so to prevent newer updated mission edits from confusing/conflicting with each-other in some way.

It seems PWS only supports a few complete overhaul mods, so I'm still going to need to use Arma II Launcher most of the time for Single Player, so that I can enable a set of mods required by specific missions/campaigns, COWarMod, etc.

If Sickboy decides to incorporate essentially the exact same combined convenience of featured options that the mod launcher features include, we would all most likely switch over to using PW It seems like a pretty nice tool to have. *thumb UP*

If Sickboy decides to incorporate essentially the exact same combined convenience of featured options that the mod launcher features include, we would all most likely switch over to using PW It seems like a pretty nice tool to have. *thumb UP*
Thanks! We'll be focusing soon on getting these aspects onboard hopefully :)

Well...my PwS is saying (since a long time now) it is dowloading the update, but... nothing else seems to happen :confused:
Our main CDN is still syncing, and other mirrors might be a tad loaded atm, should get better soon.

For now I have also uploaded the setup to MultiUpload, you can grab it here; http://www.multiupload.nl/Q7U3AL9DNW

For the future will look into improving the situation. The CDN offers more than enough capacity, just it takes ages until the updates are available.

Edited by Sickboy

Our main CDN is still syncing, and other mirrors might be a tad loaded atm, should get better soon.

For now I have also uploaded the setup to MultiUpload, you can grab it here; http://www.multiupload.nl/1NIS0AB9QT

For the future will look into improving the situation. The CDN offers more than enough capacity, just it takes ages until the updates are available.

Yes, i apologize, the update just finished and the install pop up appears...thanks for all, i love that tool :)

Yes, i apologize, the update just finished and the install pop up appears...thanks for all, i love that tool :)

NP, glad it finally came through, and that you enjoy the tool!

A lot more awesomeness incoming coming time, all the way until ARMA3, and beyond ;)

Hi Sickboy, thanks for the update! I installed it manually since the mirrors are still swamped it seems. I have a few questions though:

1) Beta updates. How can I manage my betas manually? E.g., current A2CO beta is 98148, while PwS still forces me to install 98089, even though I unchecked Update beta patch in PwS (I have checked Force enable Beta as otherwise it would start plain 1.62, no?)

2) As per this [/i]ModSets no longer hardcoded, now retrieved from withSIX.com api[/i] in the changelog, I had high hopes that mod support is now for the full set of mods of SixUpdater, I assume that is not the case as I can see only the 23 mods in PwS (excluding my favourites like JSRS and WarFX/Blastcore). If that is still true, can I safely use both PwS and SixUpdater 2.9.7pre (latest released SU I think)? Because last time I tried, my A2CO install got corrupted (perhaps not because of SU/PwS, I can't really say yet - might as well be problems with ACR and other DLCs but I feel PwS/SU combo did contribute to it). Mind you, I am using another drive for .rsync pack data (my SSD wouldn't fit them) so this might have exacerbated the problem.

3) a minor UI issue I want to report: On Windows8 Release Preview (dunno about older platforms), when PwS is downloading mods and I click the queue for more detailed info, the pop up window with detailed info does,well, pop up, but it stays on top of screen even though PwS main window no longer has focus. I have to get back to PwS window and click the queue again to hide it because otherwise it stays on top of everything and obstructs the screen even when PwS is not in focus.

Thanks and keep up the excellent work! SU was my primary tool for Arma, looking forward to when I can use PwS as such.

Edited by fraczek

Hi Sickboy, thanks for the update! I installed it manually since the mirrors are still swamped it seems. I have a few questions though:
NP!
1) Beta updates. How can I manage my betas manually? E.g., current A2CO beta is 98148, while PwS still forces me to install 98089, even though I unchecked Update beta patch in PwS (I have checked Force enable Beta as otherwise it would start plain 1.62, no?)
If you have the Update beta patch disabled, and then delete the .rsync subfolders from the beta mod folder, then it should not touch the beta folder, unless you delete the folder completely. Better control is being planned.
2) As per this [/i]ModSets no longer hardcoded, now retrieved from withSIX.com api[/i] in the changelog, I had high hopes that mod support is now for the full set of mods of SixUpdater, I assume that is not the case as I can see only the 23 mods in PwS (excluding my favourites like JSRS and WarFX/Blastcore). If that is still true, can I safely use both PwS and SixUpdater 2.9.7pre (latest released SU I think)? Because last time I tried, my A2CO install got corrupted (perhaps not because of SU/PwS, I can't really say yet - might as well be problems with ACR and other DLCs but I feel PwS/SU combo did contribute to it). Mind you, I am using another drive for .rsync pack data (my SSD wouldn't fit them) so this might have exacerbated the problem.
The hardcoding is about modsets that are available out of the box. They were hardcoded, and now are simply retrieved from the API, so we can freely add/update them, without requiring an application update.

A lot of ground work has been done in this new release, making it relatively easy to start implementing more and more of the SIX Updater and other features, including custom modsets. It's one of the first thing on my list to implement, then hopefully custom repos etc will soon follow.

For the custom modsets we're looking at also hosting it on our cloud/API so you can share it easily between PC's and friends. In any case, if you're into Multiplayer and have "Include server mods" enabled, it will already at least enable mods required for a server, beyond the default supported modsets.

The SIX .rsync repository format has remained unchanged or otherwise backwards compatible throughout the lifetime of all our SIX projects that use the tech. It should be fine to use both SU and PwS, and even SL.

In the future we are planning to re-imagine and reimplement the tech with major new features, more protocols supported etc,

but also there we can try to keep backwards compatibility as best as possible.

3) a minor UI issue I want to report: On Windows8 Release Preview (dunno about older platforms), when PwS is downloading mods and I click the queue for more detailed info, the pop up window with detailed info does,well, pop up, but it stays on top of screen even though PwS main window no longer has focus. I have to get back to PwS window and click the queue again to hide it because otherwise it stays on top of everything and obstructs the screen even when PwS is not in focus.
We're aware, the issue is cross-OS, it's a limitation of the Popup implementation we're using, but we have some other options available and will look into it. The updater progress is mostly a 1:1, drop-in, ported from SIX Updater, we do plan to enhance the experience.
Thanks and keep up the excellent work! SU was my primary tool for Arma, looking forward to when I can use PwS as such.
Thanks, it is great to read you enjoy our projects and we love to keep bringing you more and better.

We too are looking forward to the moment PwS has grown-up to be a real replacement for the SIX updater legacy.

The latest builds have paved the way for the most part, and we hope to deliver soon.

I installed the main big update yesterday but just launched PWS and it said to restart to install another update. After closing PWS, I can no longer start it and the only reason I know it's crashed is because I get a firewall popup for WerFault.exe.

I installed the main big update yesterday but just launched PWS and it said to restart to install another update. After closing PWS, I can no longer start it and the only reason I know it's crashed is because I get a firewall popup for WerFault.exe.
Ouch, please try an uninstall and reinstall from latest build; http://www.multiupload.nl/Q7U3AL9DNW

Thanks, it's loading now but I'm getting a weird bug where the graphics don't display correctly, as shown in these screenshots. Note, on the first page I can generally get it to sort itself out by clicking on the ArmaII or Mod box, until I change tab and back again anyway.

pwscorrupt.png

pwscorruptb.png

Hmm, interesting. Usually such issues have to do with DirectX/GPU/Video related utilities, like fraps, radlinker, ati tools, old TS3 overlay plugin, and such,

please see for details: http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/graphics_related_utilities_can_cause_graphical_corruption_crash_on_startup_or_performance_issues

Hmm, interesting. Usually such issues have to do with DirectX/GPU/Video related utilities, like fraps, radlinker, ati tools, old TS3 overlay plugin, and such,

please see for details: http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/graphics_related_utilities_can_cause_graphical_corruption_crash_on_startup_or_performance_issues

It seems it's a clash between PWS and Radeon Pro. I've put PWS in RP's Compatibility List and set it to Disable API Monitoring now and that's fixed it. I'm not sure why it had a problem, as I don't have a profile set for PWS in RP, so it would have been using the Global settings which weren't anything fancy. I have Post-Processing Effects (SMAA & FXAA) disabled completely, as well as the OSD and nothing set on the Tweaks tab and on the Visual and Advanced tab everything is ticked and set to default.

Anyway, I'll ask the author of RP about it.

EDIT: The author of RP is going to blacklist PWS in a future release (i.e. hard it to the hardcoded list of applications that API monitoring is disabled for) so they'll play nice together.

Edited by doveman

I had exactly the same trouble.. I had to completely uninstall PwS then. Working flawlessly now, as i reinstalled from the link posted a few posts ago.

Hi.. I'm new to PwS. I've read through this entire thread, but can't find anything related to why when I launch the game with PwS, I cannot get the dlc ACR to show anywhere in game!

Sorry if I've missed something obvious, but I can't seem to fathom it out.

All I'm getting is Op Arrowhead, BAF and PMC, but no ACR.. can anyone steer me onto the correct course of action to sort this?

Many thanks for any info..

It seems it more of a bug with ACR itself, as IIRC it loads correctly on its own (as specified in Expansion game menu or what's it called) only if there is no modline present (and all mods are loaded through ingame Expansion menu, which writes the mod state into Arma2OA profile cfg file), and obviously PwS launches the game with -mod=...

The solution is easy, in PwS, go to Arma 2 tab, and there is an option for additional commandline parameters, just add

-mod=ACR

there. It should run fine then. At least it does on my system.

Since the upgrade of the tool its now telling me my I44 needs updating! No possible.

So why is it saying that?

Very wary of selecting update because despite the fact it shouldn't be able to see my (older) development I44 folders, I can't trust this tool not to do something like overwrite them.