sickboy

Play withSIX Community Preview [Evolution of SIX Launcher and in time also SU]

If I'm not mistaken, the "old" six updater is still the better solution, not?

Contrary to PWS, you can choose much more options/mods etc there..

So tell me, why should i use the nextgen stuff at the moment? ;)

PS: The Six Updater is really cool btw ^^

I launched PR with PlaywithSIX the other day and after I finished playing it came up with the same error screen you get when trying to launch PR as a mod on the commandline instead of starting it with praa.exe. As I say, I could play OK and this error only showed when I finished (I can't recall exactly but I imagine it was when I disconnected from the server and it returned me to the Main menu that this happened).

Hi, thanks, i've posted it over at http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/project_reality_should_be_launched_with_praa_exe

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

If I'm not mistaken, the "old" six updater is still the better solution, not?

Contrary to PWS, you can choose much more options/mods etc there..

So tell me, why should i use the nextgen stuff at the moment? ;)

PS: The Six Updater is really cool btw ^^

It depends on your use case really. PwS also supports all said mods, but instead of you selecting them manually, they are auto-activated if a server requires the mod.

While PwS also has much greater performance, smooth operation, UI/UX etc, a more advanced server browser, especially the filters, and on top of that also sports social features.

Still there are some features in SU that aren't in PwS yet. This will come in next weeks ;)

The CDN is giving a 404 error for the Six Updater download and the Dev Heaven mirror is not authorized for anons or logged in users, so there's no way to get Six Updater anymore, only PlayWithSix which is unfortunate since I have no idea how to download mods from SU with this new program. It's all big friendly buttons for things I don't need, no profiles or mods.

Any one have a mirror of the old version?

Found it! https://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/files

Edited by kylania

The CDN is giving a 404 error for the Six Updater download and the Dev Heaven mirror is not authorized for anons or logged in users, so there's no way to get Six Updater anymore, only PlayWithSix which is unfortunate since I have no idea how to download mods from SU with this new program. It's all big friendly buttons for things I don't need, no profiles or mods.

Any one have a mirror of the old version?

Hi, i've fixed the legacy SIX Updater DL section at DH: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/files

Edited by Sickboy

Will Play withSIX have a "launch using steam" function added? I know Armarize tried to do something like that but I never quite got it to work. I've seen Skyrim mod launcher .exe's (like SKSE) with a custom steam_something.dll file that would launch the game using steam, so I know it's possible.

Edited by cuel

switched back to six launcher/updater - reason - it installs all the mods to my documents folder even those i already had, and i failed to find, where to change the download location in play withSix launcher. First time i've run it, it forced me to download ACE and some other mods i had completely from scratch. Even i had latest version installed. So it took me few hours to download them. What was a big surprise, when my buddy told me, he spotted downloads in documents folder, which is completely nuts.

Six Updater on other hand, works like charm, and i do really love this tool.

Edited by NeuroFunker

switched back to six launcher/updater - reason - it installs all the mods to my documents folder even those i already had, and i failed to find, where to change the download location in play withSix launcher. First time i've run it, it forced me to download ACE and some other mods i had completely from scratch. Even i had latest version installed. So it took me few hours to download them. What was a big surprise, when my buddy told me, he spotted downloads in documents folder, which is completely nuts.

Six Updater on other hand, works like charm, and i do really love this tool.

You can define download location if you click on large "ArmA II" button. Tab on the right side will expand with path options. On the other hand, I love Play WithSIX. UI is great and more user friendly, seems a lot faster too (synching and stuff...).

My documents is the BI recommended installation path, it's in user space and doesn't require Administrator rights on Vista/7/8.

It was also mentioned at the release posts, in the list of differences with the previous software.

While others have mentioned that it would be nice to get a warning about it, especially if you come from SL/SU,

we'll be adding that definitely.

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

You can define download location if you click on large "ArmA II" button. Tab on the right side will expand with path options. On the other hand, I love Play WithSIX. UI is great and more user friendly, seems a lot faster too (synching and stuff...).

Glad to hear! And we have a lot more in store for you coming time ;-)

In case of feedback, suggestions or if you run into any issues, please come find us at http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com

we respond (reply and fix/implement) usually quickly.

Hi,

Could you please consider making a FOLDER for the installation? I know of course I can do that ahead of time, but first install, I didn't and your files were all over my drive.

If you could, in the path, put for example D:PlaySix...that would be great so I know it's all tidy in one folder.

Thanks!

Mad props for this tool Sickboy, everything has worked like a charm so far and the join friend feature is really awesome :)

Hi,

Could you please consider making a FOLDER for the installation? I know of course I can do that ahead of time, but first install, I didn't and your files were all over my drive.

If you could, in the path, put for example D:PlaySix...that would be great so I know it's all tidy in one folder.

Thanks!

Hi,

The default installation path is C:\Program Files\SIX Networks\Play withSIX

or on x64 systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\SIX Networks\Play withSIX

Are you saying this was not the case for you?

Cheers

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Mad props for this tool Sickboy, everything has worked like a charm so far and the join friend feature is really awesome :)

Thanks mate, glad to hear! withSIX is a team effort really, i'll pass on the props to all of SIX Networks; AJ, Banshee, Charlie, ParaGraphic L, Sonsalt, Tweet, myself and new arrivals :)

My documents is the BI recommended installation path, it's in user space and doesn't require Administrator rights on Vista/7/8.

It was also mentioned at the release posts, in the list of differences with the previous software.

BI (and other companies) should really know better. Mods are clearly not documents and cluttering up My Documents with loads of program folders makes it a mess and a nightmare to use for it's intended purpose.

I imagine a lot of users don't move it from the C: partition either, which is likely to be limited in space and not really where users should be installing GBs of mods, especially considering that users will (hopefully) be making system backups/True Images of their C: partition so ideally they should be keeping it as small as possible to make it easier to store the backups on a few DVDs.

I appreciate you're just following BI's lead but in this case I don't think it's a particularly good idea.

On another subject and I daresay you've already considered this and dismissed it for whatever reason but I was wondering if instead of storing an extra copy of each mod in it's .rsync folder, taking up twice as much space, if you couldn't just make a hash from each file and store that in a text file. So you'd have a text file starting with the version number of the mod and then a line for each file with it's name and hash. Then, when the user wants to Verify the files, it could just calculate the hash of each file and check it still matches the hash stored in the text file. When updating the mod, it could download a text file for the current version of the mod, compare the hashes in that to the hashes in the text file for the currently installed version and then only download the changed/new files.

Just an idea and I'm no programmer, so please don't bite my head off if it's unworkable ;)

Hi,

The default installation path is C:\Program Files\SIX Networks\Play withSIX

or on x64 systems: C:\Program Files (x86)\SIX Networks\Play withSIX

Are you saying this was not the case for you?

Cheers

[

Well, what I should ask is this: Does it have to be installed on C drive?

My C drive is the SMM and I only use it for the OS. Now only about 10 gb free so nothing goes on that drive.

Tried to install it on D drive, by making a folder and I get ERRORS. Seems it doesn't want to install there.

Sorry SB, but above is an example of what I mean (per my post in the wrong tool thread)

Additionally, with this tool, it just asked to upgrade and I said yes, but it;

- Ignored the current PWS install directory and tried to install in a default directory again

- Popped a web page !! "We are sorry to see you go! :( We would gladly hear why you uninstalled the software"

- Popped another dialog asking something about a config ..... best guess was >NO<

Update:

After that mid-night post, PWS seems to be working ok.

Edited by [APS]Gnat

oh, thx for the tip guys with changing mods install patch, maybe ill try playwithSix again, as for me, it seemed to be to "compact" and took me a while to figure out, how to install mods at all...

NP.

Please keep in mind this is only a Preview and we're working hard to deliver updates towards the full release,

based on your feedback, ideas and bug reports :)

Game browser configuration options are imo indeed too hard to find, and there could be better indicators for the 'modules' (Buddylist, Mod Browser, Game Browser, Server Browser) etc :)

?? Why am I now getting "Bohemia Interactive a.s." (whatever the hell that is) wanting permissions ?

Gnat;2222792']?? Why am I now getting "Bohemia Interactive a.s." (whatever the hell that is) wanting permissions ?

??? With the absence of a crystal ball' date=' please attach a screenshot :) or at least some more info

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Ahh, you are probably referring at the BattlEye setup that runs after updating Betas etc.

For starters, that's a couple of weeks old:

1.0.0.76 (August 24, 2012)[Feature] Launch OA Beta BattlEye installer upon Beta update

Also the Details of the dialog tells you it is BattlEye.

You get that message because you have UAC enabled, and because you don't run PwS 'as admin'. (which is in fact the recommended way of running PwS, so no foul there).

Otherwise the BattlEye setup would be dialog-less, unless you don't have BE installed yet.

The reason the BE setup runs is because at times there are breaking changes in Betas and BE versions that make things fail for mysterous reasons (no clear indication of what is up).

While BE dll's do not appear to have any version number, so we can't really figure out if your BE is updated to the latest version without some ninja actions.

Welcome to my hell, trying to deal with the BI, BE updates and Windows UAC 'hell' ;-)

In case of bugs, ideas or feedback on features and such, please refer to our http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com page.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:30 ----------

Tried to install it on D drive, by making a folder and I get ERRORS. Seems it doesn't want to install there.
It does not matter where you install the software, the mods or the pack files (given they are valid directories :)).

But there was a problem with saving Path changes - only taking affect after restarting the app, that's resolved now in latest build and might help.

Also you need to make sure PwS has the required access to write in the folders, as workaround you can launch PwS as admin to confirm that's the issue.

Edited by Sickboy