Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPWC AI suppression system

Thanks Fabrizio!

May I ask what hardware you are running on?

/KC

Thanks Fabrizio!

May I ask what hardware you are running on?

/KC

A lappy!

It's a DELL Precision M6400. A good notebook, but almost equivalent to some low-midrange desktop.

P2443 3DMarks on 3DMark11.

i'm confuse, this addon is server side, client side or both?

Thanks for the good work

i'm confuse, this addon is server side, client side or both?

At this stage development is just Single Play only.

On MP Dedicated Server it doesn't work (yet).

A lappy!

It's a DELL Precision M6400. A good notebook, but almost equivalent to some low-midrange desktop.

P2443 3DMarks on 3DMark11.

It's nice to see people developing gaming code on modest spec computers, it means you know that speed optimisation will be a priority! Fabrizio, well done for getting Sickboy on board, the sky is the limit. I looked over the code for 0.66 and it really is a work of art. It's so well commented, it should be in the textbook for how to write Arma scripts.

I'll incorporate 0.66 into 2.04 beta shortly, and fix the reveal config bug that KeyCat has reported.

KeyCat, since reveal is not causing issues, can you try running it in stance change only mode?

KeyCat, since reveal is not causing issues, can you try running it in stance change only mode?

Did some more testing tonight and I start to belive that the wierd AI pathfinding behavior I experienced was because my CPU having problems coping with all the scripts I had running. So apologies for jumping to any conclusions, it looks like the problem are in my end and not with TPWC AI suppression.

/KC

Did some more testing tonight and I start to belive that the wierd AI pathfinding behavior I experienced was because my CPU having problems coping with all the scripts I had running. So apologies for jumping to any conclusions, it looks like the problem are in my end and not with TPWC AI suppression.

/KC

Awesome, that's the kind of bugs I like!

hey, one problem I noticed in combat is the AI tend to aim straight up in the air when they are "suppressed" and then when they are ready to fire they are still aiming to the moon, ending in mass cloud slaughter lol. point being the AI shoot in the air after or while being suppresed.

@ guns pointing to the air problem

My guess is mod conflict somewhere, try to remove every mod and see if the problem exist in vanilla. Then try with CBA and tpwcas, see if it occured also and so on and so forth

hey, one problem I noticed in combat is the AI tend to aim straight up in the air when they are "suppressed" and then when they are ready to fire they are still aiming to the moon, ending in mass cloud slaughter lol. point being the AI shoot in the air after or while being suppresed.

Yes as mentioned it may be a mod problem. Or it could be to do with ai skill levels - perhaps too low skill will cause ai to become stupid in this regard. Anyone experiencing or not experienceing this problem, it would be very helpful if you could tell us what skill level your ai are generally at. If its not the skills, it must be a really weird mod conflict. The thing is not everyone is experiencing it. I know I play with ASR and although I haven't had time to play extensively, in the short firefight test I've done recently I have not witnessed this behaviour and I play with ASR, ACE and a bunch of other miscalaneous stuff. Also I have heard ASR users and COSLX+GL4 users both have experienced the problem so it doesn't seem to be limited to one mod. Has anyone had this problem in vanilla?

@Coulom,

you meant the skills from cfg files, then mine is at 0.85. If from the unit slider in the editor, then it was just default settings. Never really played around with it when doing quick testing. the ASR_AI config also at default, and I've yet to discover this problem (gun pointing to air)

you meant the skills from cfg files, then mine is at 0.85. If from the unit slider in the editor, then it was just default settings. Never really played around with it when doing quick testing. the ASR_AI config also at default, and I've yet to discover this problem (gun pointing to air)

Yeah those are the skills I am talking about, thanks Mr_Centipede. Userconfig, editor and from mods (although mods like ASR over-ride editor skills I believe). I have a similar setup except 1.00 for the userconfig.

I know GL4 changes skills but anyone know if COSLX does as well?

I'm currently working on 2.04 which I will release in a few hours. One thing I stupidly overlooked in my haste to get the 2 betas out the door was the ASR skill stuff. So currently TPWCAS is using the default skills of the units rather than the ASR skills. This might be adding to the units-pointing-in the air fiasco.

There is also the possibility that opfor units will try to aim at the debug balls over their own heads, since for some reason these balls are registering as civilians.

You can always try running TPWCAS in stance only mode (no skills modification), to see if that is causing the erratic aiming behaviours.

2.04beta will have this ASR stuff reincorporated, some more debugging handling changes, a general code cleanup, and removal of some superfluous checks which are now handled by bDetect 0.66

I've actually made some progress with modifying bis_fnc_3dcredits to display information over each unit, so might end up replacing the troublesome debug balls with this down the line.

I'm getting quite a bit of birdwatching here, running the LOS, suppression and latest test version of ASR. I've got default userconfig hpps (excepting hints and debug balls off). I thought originally it might be a problem with grenadier units, but then saw a DM with the M14 doing it.

Warrants further investigation - the first thing that needs to be determined is what addon is actually causing it.

I'm getting quite a bit of birdwatching here, running the LOS, suppression and latest test version of ASR. I've got default userconfig hpps (excepting hints and debug balls off). I thought originally it might be a problem with grenadier units, but then saw a DM with the M14 doing it.

Warrants further investigation - the first thing that needs to be determined is what addon is actually causing it.

Well I guess it isn't the low skills like I thought then. ASR definitely seems to be the mod that causes the problem although GL4 or SLX could also be causing it according to ChrisB

I don't use ASR but do use GL4 & SLX and I get the pointing at air thing.

I guess the next logical thing to do would be to find out what GL4 ASR or SLX and ASR have in common.

I can only think of

ASR & SLX

Skill changes

Possibly ai turn rate (don't know if Robalo tweaks this but SLX does)

ASR & Gl4

Skill changes

Ai detecting gunfire

Any others?

2.04 beta: http://filesonly.com/download.php?file=240TPWC_AI_SUPPRESS_204.zip

Changelog:

• Fixed config error, so reveal is properly configurable by hpp
  • Reinstated periodic ASR AI skill checking inadvertantly omitted in previous 2.0x betas
  • Removed some redundant checks now handled by bDetect
  • General code cleanup and additional commenting

I'm getting quite a bit of birdwatching here - the first thing that needs to be determined is what addon is actually causing it.

For the 'bird watchers', please share exact details in order to be able the pinpoint the issue:

- Mod list, preferably with versions

- ArmA version (running Beta or not)

- Maybe side and type of units showing the issue

For the 'bird watchers', please share exact details in order to be able the pinpoint the issue:

- Mod list, preferably with versions

- ArmA version (running Beta or not)

- Maybe side and type of units showing the issue

May i suggest to post also difficulty settings ?

I'll do a bit more testing soon.

@fabrizio - could you please either remove the init hint from your bdetect script or make it optional to display? :)

I run arma 2 OA BAF PMC steam versions and removed all other mods except tpwc 2.03 pbo and found only machine gunners (not automatic riflemen) aimed at sky. But other units behaved normally. I also tried altering both rank and skills in the editor but it didn't seem to influence this behaviour as far as I could tell. The problem didn't seem to occur at all when I disabled pbo and ran from the 2.03 script I tested yesterday. Ran out of time then to do any further testing so I'll check it out today. This is also the first time I've actually seen this behaviour, but it was quite obvious once it started so I'm sure I would have noticed sooner. I vaguely remember this behaviour used to occur in arma and the original op flash I think up until it was patched out so its not a new occurrence. Running the 2.03 script/bdetect 0.64 produced nothing unusual in the battles I ran yesterday, except of course the initial civ count (might itself be a problem if you run debug on a 1000+ unit battle and have 3-4000 civs generated at start up-haven't tested this yet, but may do today).

I'll do a bit more testing soon.

@fabrizio - could you please either remove the init hint from your bdetect script or make it optional to display? :)

Yes ;)

bDetect v0.67 BETA

That's the only change.

Set:

bdetect_startup_hint = false; 

To disable startup hint.

@tpw: what about exposing bDetect variables in your own .hpp so that users may fiddle with them?

Edited by fabrizio_T

Yes, still getting the pointing to the sky thing. Apart from that I had street to street, building to building fire fights which are always good but made even better (even though they shot birds first) with your great mod. If you can conquer the sky thing it should be incorporated into A3 I reckon, hope BIS are watching and reading the thread. Suppression is slightly easier however they act a little more sencible in the fact they watch out for themselves first it seems.

Flanking is even more important and I have seen ai from my own side flank while the ai are suppressed, happened before but not this good. Well done on a great mod.

I use soo many mods it would be hard to tell which maybe conflicting, I will drop it right back to the basic ones and see if anything changes.

CB

Yes ;)

bDetect v0.67 BETA

That's the only change.

Set:

bdetect_startup_hint = false; 

To disable startup hint.

@tpw: what about exposing bDetect variables in your own .hpp so that users may fiddle with them?

Will do. Currently I'm doing it for magazines, bullet_min and bullet_max, but can add the rest of them easily.

ah I just ran some quick tests of 2.04, cba and no other mods. Not looking good. As soon as they become suppressed everyone starts shooting at sky except machine gunners who now spin around firing erratically mowing down their entire squad. This was using both pbo and script versions. Units used were plain us army rifle squad and takistani militia group. Default skills in editor. Playing veteran with both friendlies and enemies on normal. Tried with and without debugging enabled. Same problem occurs. I ran arma without tpwc as comparison and no such behaviour occurs. I ran 2.03 script again which runs fine. No shooting at sky but I did notice that when units become surpressed they shake their heads at the sky every so often. Have to go out for awhile but will do some further testing later.