Sign in to follow this  
BF2X

Does jogging and running seem odd?

In one of the E3 videos I noticed a nice animation of a soldier climbing beneath a Strider at Camp Maxwell and doing repair/maintenance work on it.

I prefer animations in arma 2 too. in arma 3 animation of running and jogging is odd. Looks like creepy alien trying to move like human.

The running makes the dude look like hes pinching his ass cheeks together to hold in a shit,

cuz hes got this stiff back look about him.

Maybe that stance is dependent on the presence of a weapon in the player's/AI's hands. Either way , I think it looks nifty and makes the game more fun to play. If you don't like it, don't use it man.
Improved control is welcomed, the notion that civilian models shouldn't have access to them is nonsensical, ArmA is not a roleplaying game, the skills are the player's not the character's. I've tried Smookie's improved animations addon and I find that I still only use a subset, I don't make regular use of all of them.

So why not make forward and back rolling then? Why not make back-to-wall animations? Why not make jumping and shooting at the same time? It will be "fun".

If you want to make your game authentic you have to make it authentic - it's that simple. The notion is that no soldier should have that animation in the game at all. I doubt that iranians/civilians at least know how to move like Smookie's beloved Navy SEALs.

And what is exactly this "you don't have to use it" argument? The problem is that other people/AI will use it and it will look like monkeys are jumping around with weapons.

Smookie made this particular stance to be way over the top - it's the truth.

Edited by metalcraze

Maybe your right man? i was trying to think of when i would actually use that particular animation in game, could'nt think of any? probably would be great for all the awesome indoor and close quarter fighting we will now get in arma3?

Maybe your right man? i was trying to think of when i would actually use that particular animation in game, could'nt think of any? probably would be great for all the awesome indoor and close quarter fighting we will now get in arma3?

If the animation you're talking about is in the E3 Demonstration video shown on the first page of this thread and at about 01:40, then I somewhat agree in that the transition between those animations seem to be a bit too quick. I haven't really seen any over the top or unrealistic animations.

If the animation you're talking about is in the E3 Demonstration video shown on the first page of this thread and at about 01:40, then I somewhat agree in that the transition between those animations seem to be a bit too quick. I haven't really seen any over the top or unrealistic animations.

Cant see the video now to review but it's the one where he rolls on his back fires through his legs, I'm not saying it's over the top, it looks awesome, but I was just thinking when I would actually use it in game... And the more I think about it would a more pratical animation be better to use? But apart from the running anims I'm not really fussed.

So why not make forward and back rolling then? Why not make back-to-wall animations? Why not make jumping and shooting at the same time? It will be "fun".

Those things exist, at least in the ArmA2 addon Smookie made. (Apart from back-rolling, which I have not ever heard of. Oh, and the jumping-firing thing, which I assume is one of your regular exaggerations for effect.)

If you want to make your game authentic you have to make it authentic - it's that simple. The notion is that no soldier should have that animation in the game at all. I doubt that iranians/civilians at least know how to move like Smookie's beloved Navy SEALs.

As mentioned, it's not about the character, it's about the player. If you're playing as an Iranian (to take your example) are you going to be forced to make/not make certain tactical decisions because IRL they don't have the training that SEALs have? Of course not so why force animation constraints? The player should be the brain not a roleplaying animation filter. You said that no soldier should have it at all, are you just bemoaning one single animation example?

And what is exactly this "you don't have to use it" argument? The problem is that other people/AI will use it and it will look like monkeys are jumping around with weapons.

Well because you cannot fathom why Smookie made the animation you're talking about (and I don't know which one) it doesn't make your assertion the truth.

That video on page 1 was AMAZING! Animations look great to me, and the graphics in general are just mindblowing.

I doubt that iranians/civilians at least know how to move like Smookie's beloved Navy SEALs.

Smookie this, Smookie that. Flash news, Smookie is not the Animation Lead nor the only Animator in BI. :p

So, bashing or praying one single developer it's non-sense!

Smookie this, Smookie that. Flash news, Smookie is not the Animation Lead nor the only Animator in BI. :p

So, bashing or praying one single developer it's non-sense!

Ondrej must do ALL the things ! :D

IIRC they said that the old animations will be in, toggleable. Anyone can confirm?

IIRC they said that the old animations will be in, toggleable. Anyone can confirm?

Where'd you hear that? Would that not defeat the purpose of having a new animation system with new anims?

Where'd you hear that? Would that not defeat the purpose of having a new animation system with new anims?

1-In one video\interview regarding the Alpha, they said something like "We have the old working anims, in Alpha we will throw the new ones and see what happens", of course not in these words...

2-One for medium\long range combats (the old) and one for CQB (the new).

Smurf you are right, I think it was even posted here by Karel (?). He (?) said the old anims will be available for modders if they wish to use them for their models instead of the new more tactical and modern ones :)

Smurf you are right, I think it was even posted here by Karel (?). He (?) said the old anims will be available for modders if they wish to use them for their models instead of the new more tactical and modern ones :)

Ugh... really? I have recollection of something related to old vs new animations, but it was related to the reload animations. Basically the old magic wave animation is still there for modders to use.

Ugh... really? I have recollection of something related to old vs new animations, but it was related to the reload animations. Basically the old magic wave animation is still there for modders to use.

^this

Only the reload animation, not everything else

When watching the previews at E3, running and jogging seemed... Off. Like the soldier would do it too quickly, it looked unnatural. Slowing the steps down a bit would probably fix it along with that tactical pace. Did anybody else feel the same way? I also noticed that it seems they took some inspiration for some of the new animations from an animation replacement pack I used in ArmA 2. I can't remember what it was called or who it was from but it added a variety of prone, crouch, standing and wall climbing animations that look extremely similar to the new ones in ArmA 3.

It think you're talking about this animation pack (SMK). Yeah, I thought I heard he was hired to do animation for Arma 3, but I might have just dreamd that. :s

Yeah the running did look funny to me as well on the E3 presentation vid. :)

correct! I failed to express this in my previous post because I actually wasn't completely sure myself :o

@dunnobe Smookie was indeed hired ;) Might have been a day dream^^

I'm well aware of this but I have a vivid impression that old animations might be present for randomness sake and for what I discribed in the last post. Anyway, that could be changed, I misunderstood something or im just day dreaming. Gonna check that better went I get home....

It think you're talking about this animation pack (SMK). Yeah, I thought I heard he was hired to do animation for Arma 3, but I might have just dreamd that. :s

Yeah the running did look funny to me as well on the E3 presentation vid. :)

He was hired. That guy is Smookie.

So, if that's the case, would they be plagued with the same problems that are currently in ArmA2 (clunkiness, retarded pistol running, etc...)? If so, then I hope you modders that choose to use the old anims will specify that clearly when you release your addons. I'll make a note to avoid those...

So, if that's the case, would they be plagued with the same problems that are currently in ArmA2 (clunkiness, retarded pistol running, etc...)? If so, then I hope you modders that choose to use the old anims will specify that clearly when you release your addons. I'll make a note to avoid those...

The anims in question were the ones for reloading, not everything else. Point was that all reloading anims were hand-made (no mocap after some failed tries). I am loking forward to seeing the IK solution. With some luck, shouldn't be too hard to do some oneself.

The anims in question were the ones for reloading, not everything else. Point was that all reloading anims were hand-made (no mocap after some failed tries). I am loking forward to seeing the IK solution. With some luck, shouldn't be too hard to do some oneself.

Ok. Thanks for confirming that. I do remember that being mentioned earlier by a dev.About the failed mocap part. I think it was because the mocap equipment/software/whatever couldn't pick up the animations well. On that note of the hand-made reload animations, IIRC something was said (by RiE maybe) that the new ones are custom per each weapon (so like MX animation is different than Mk20 animation is different than Tavor animation). Did I hear or read that correctly?

IIRC something was said (by RiE maybe) that the new ones are custom per each weapon (so like MX animation is different than Mk20 animation is different than Tavor animation). Did I hear or read that correctly?

Yes, I believe that is what BIS is aiming for. Otherwise the system would be as it currently is for A2, just a different Copperfield-esque wave.

Edited by CameronMcDonald

How custom can you really get? I mean what's going to be the real difference between each weapon? I can understand rifle vs MG, but say Tavor vs another-rifle-similar-to-tavor... I don't think they're aiming for that.