Sign in to follow this  
Resilient

Are you going to upgrade because of ARMA 3?

Yeah, we must hold our horses until ArmA3 come out. Updating gigs is really unwise. Currently the DDR3 RAM is cheap, which actually is seducing me. Since ArmA3 is 64bits, so I bet 8G+ RAM could bring more fluency.

Gtx 690 and the ivyb 3770K. A sweet deal on this build of course, but then again, I haven't even HAD a computer that could run minecraft for almost a year now. My last build, had it survived, would now be a little over 4 years old and still serving me releatively well. As it stands, I've had to go without the thrill of even getting a chance to play such releases as BF3, Crysis 2, and other premium titles, not to mention being cut off from all the gameplay brilliance and tactical exuberance I thoroughly enjoyed belonging to a hardcore ACE and ACRE community in Arma 2. I almost broke down and rebuit right away, but now, deservedly, I get an upgrade truly worth my money. I skipped ahead 4 gpu generations and the previous cpu was an old Q series; definately worth it in my book. Now to finally jump back into the fray, and as far as arma 3 is concerned; I'm pretty sure I got the specs covered.

Maybe bis needs me in the alpha to test the game on these specs?

Not updating. As several have suggested, wait until the game comes out and see what happens.

I just got myself a ASUS Radeon HD7870. I was going to wait a bit but my 4870 (512MB) was really getting tired.

The reason i got it now is that it had a ~1000 SEK (140 USD) discount... Brand new... ... So now i think I'm set for A3. At least for medium-low settings. And I'm fine with that.

Ill get an SSD around Christmas and then it should run smoothly all the time.

I am not going to do anything until it is out. You never know, the engine could be so well optimised that it might run on the kit you already have!

Anyway, hardware moves so fast these days that you might as well wait until the last minute - whatever you buy is already out of date and half the price by the time you have installed it!

I will hold with my old Q6600 at 3.2 until the release too. At that time we might have second generation of the ivy bridge and the gtx680, wich is a awesome card, will be cheaper too.

You don't need SATA3 unless you plan on using SSDs. Mechanical drives are castrated in performance by its physical limitations, they barely reach 100 MBytes/sec, 150 on the good ones (WD VRaptor, 10k rpm 1TB hard drive... but it is very expensive, 300+ $). Even with a RAID setup you don't need SATA3 with mechanicals. So you are good too on that area if you don't have SSD.

True, but arma and the other applications I use would measurably benifit from SSD's. Though you don't strictly need SATA3 to use many SSD's either.

I'm already building a computer right now. Well, I already had plans to build it over the summer where I have plenty of time. The machine I currently barely meets the requirements for ARMA 2 though I can still run it :p. From the looks of it so far on the stickies, the ARMA 3 minimum requirements looks the same as ARMA 2.

I'm going to max it with my machine since the specs at e3 weren't any higher. I might get an ssd , but probably not since I'll use ramdisk

My next upgrade if ever might be a gtx 800 series card

I'm just going to upgrade my graphics card (from a GTX 460 to a GTX 670 or 680, get a new monitor and maybe an SSD.

I'm definitely going to upgrade, but only my GPU. I'll swap out my GTX 480 for a GTX 680.

It's sad that Ivy Bridge-E has been delayed to second half of 2013, but GK110 (GTX 780) should be out by Q4 this year or Q1 2013, so yeah, definitely upgrading. (for ARMA3)

I am going to stick with my GTX 460, I think I should be able to run at medium-high settings with 6000 drawdistance on it, like I do in ArmA 2, I get around 50-60 fps depending on the map.

However what I really need to upgrade is my 2.6ghz cpu. (CPUs are dirt cheap nowadays anyways) While it can handle single player at full fps, the moment that there are more than 30 AI engaged in combat the fps starts to drop. This wont matter for Multilpayer though. (However it would be nice to improve my performance on Shogun 2 with over 12,000 troops being processed in real time on a large battlefield :o)

ARMA 3 isn't that much more demanding than ARMA 2 from what I've seen, a GTX 580 almost maxes it out. People with like GTX 6xx's and stuff shouldn't throw away their money, if my machine can max it then it's probably good enough for ARMA 3 lol

I'll be dropping my AMD 6790 and going for an NVidia 670 (for both performance increase and hardware PhysX). Might chuck in an other 8Gb of Samsung Green RAM as well.

I DO NOT intend to, because my old rig allows me to play my games nicely, even if I had lost the 6Gb/s controller and if the 6970 was difficult to tweak and manage.

i7 875K

Asus P55D-E Pro

ATI 6970

But ... I have done it after my Seasonic 750 explode while playing an extralarge Civ V map with the ATI 6970.

So I build a new PC in the old case based upon :

i7 3770

MSI Z77A-GD65

Gigabyte GTX670 "windforce"

Hell yeah I'm going to upgrade, there has never been a better reason! Spoil yourselves gentlemen and upgrade, you deserve it!

As of right now I have the i7 2600, 4 GB RAM and a Radeon 5770 which I just built for AfterEffects and C4D, not really for gaming. The clear update here is the graphics card.

So yea, however and whenever I get some money, I'm looking at 2 GeForce cards, SLI.

As of right now I have the i7 2600, 4 GB RAM and a Radeon 5770 which I just built for AfterEffects and C4D, not really for gaming. The clear update here is the graphics card.

So yea, however and whenever I get some money, I'm looking at 2 GeForce cards, SLI.

And more RAM! Don't forget. DDR3 is really cheap this days. And your big projects in those apps will feel the love too.

Edited by Vixente

Last time I upgraded my system for ArmA 2 it made no difference.

They need 64-Bit and a new engine.

My first next upgrade will be Ivy Bridge E or Haswell E

I'll be dropping my AMD 6790 and going for an NVidia 670 (for both performance increase and hardware PhysX). Might chuck in an other 8Gb of Samsung Green RAM as well.

I don't think there will be hardware PhysX for AMD or NVIDIA. I heard they were forcing it to run on the CPU for everyone.

Unless they've changed this.

I think ill just wait and see what kind of machine the game really requires :)

Is there any indication that Arma 3 will run on an SLI/Crossfire configuration since, correct me if I am wrong, Arma 2 did not effectively utilize it?

Is there any indication that Arma 3 will run on an SLI/Crossfire configuration since, correct me if I am wrong, Arma 2 did not effectively utilize it?

yeah, you are wrong.