Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Will Bohemia finally improve ARMA's PVP to attract New Players?

PvP, not deathmatch, 20 vs 20 or whatever, with an objective. It completely depends on the "map" or "area played" and objective part.

For example: in America's Army 3 "The Bridge" - i feel is a good example of what PvP should be like. Unless your working as a team the "map" just isn't any fun, and when your on a good team vs a good team, the gameplay is great..."The Ranch" however, would be an example of how something that is supposed to be team play can too easily turn into "run and gun".

I can't give any other FPS examples as America's Army3 is the only one I play.

I dont think a well thought out PvP senario would attract the wrong players or dumb the game down. The key here is (well- thought- out,) and I'd like to see that out of the box. With the scope and size of ARMA, someone should be able to create a mindblowing PVP senario better than any other FPS.

Will it compete with BF or COD? I doubt it, and like others have said it's different, let them have EA Dice stuff and I'll take ARMA3.

With the advent of the Zombie mod Arma has gained a huge new following which is great. As long as the gameplay is kept "realistic" and Bis does not go the route of the arcade shooters they will remain the elite in terms of a military ground sim.

i'd better say like: if arma will stay as it is right now, and the only improvements that will be made just to make it more realistic, then i would like this game as i liked arma/arma2.

ahh and probably the only thing why not soooo many people play arma is beacause it's a bit rought with animations and got some glitches. (no idea how to explain it better. my classmates at uni cal it "buggy" ) if it will be polished, then way more people will play it.

Edited by n7snk

The AA - the Bridge level, is really a great example for close combat Teamplay. I liked that map!

Arma has close combat but also big range area conflict with stratetig elements. it has all.

Reminder:

ArmA is a sandbox. It's what we make of it. If we want we can run around with LMG's and spray n' pray, organize demolitions derby's with tanks, participate in UAZ race's, take long walks with no intent of shooting anything, hunt animals, organize complex assaults/ambushes/what ever form of attack we fancy,fly helo's, drive boats, etc

It might be marketed as a mil sim, due to it's rather large amount of military hardware, but at it's core it's a sandbox... No one here is more special than anyone... playing ArmA does not make you a "mil sim'er".

Suprised this didnt get locked.

Unlike you mods usually read threads from beginning (I guess).

People that buy games like BC2, COD, BF3, want instant gratification and the simplistic gameplay, there will always be a market for those console ported games, you cant get away from it,

ARMA perhaps can't compete with those who enjoy BF/CoD single-player tunnel or retarded console fps MP. That's not whole market (even if it's majority).

most folks to afraid to enlist in the real military, whatever reason they use, depend on these sims for a brief taste of what they never will experience in real life,hence their popularity.

ARMA isn't real life and never will be. ARMA just simulates it better than BF/CoD. DICE and IW just can't do it because it would make console ports unplayable.

Go play Celery games and explain to me why it's perfectly possible to spray MG and do random kills and why 10 players in small DM map run around and shoot around like in CoD and have fun? Why it's possible if ARMA is just milsim only played by serious mature players?

Explain please. Do I play ARMA2 wrong? Of course I enjoy team PvP (where we can use tactics against opponents) much more. Yesterday I played CTF with cca 10 peoples for hours. Did we break laws of ARMAverse?

Edited by batto

I don't think ARMA needs to compete with the other titles, nor should it. It's not in the same class, and if Bohemia changes its focus we will just end up with another COD or BF. Honestly, I believe in the future we will see a steady decline in the amount of interest placed in the COD franchise. It has been so focused on pushing out a new game every year, you end up with the same garbage every time. Their games are losing the appeal it once had, at least to me it has. COD is like the iPhone.

I understand some people enjoy the fast paced, "run and gun" of the other franchises. Those types of games will always have a fan-base, just as ARMA will always have its. I think Bohemia should stay on its path. We don't have enough game like this as it is.

Honestly, if ARMA had the capability of working on console without its content degrading... it would have a much larger community. Its simply good gaming and anyone can see that.

really suprised it didn't get locked..

bf3 & cod games should stay console for kiddies with 10 second mind spans

comparing or trying to replicate console games on the market won't get you any of my hard earned money.

I think this thread should end. Because nobody seems to understand what the OP meant with 'compete', and all ensuing responses are totally irrelevant and sometimes even hateful for no reason. It's a sad state of affairs that the Arma community takes any (even misunderstood) chance to say immature things about other games and their players just because they are not their cup of tea. How many times have BF players actively hated on the Arma series?

You do realize that CoD and BF are popular in MP simply because anyone can play it at random servers due to their extremely primitive gameplay and a complete lack of teamwork?

ArmA at its core can't be played like that. Besides why would you want to play ArmA like that? This game is about teamwork and tactics.

This, this, this, holy shit this.

I come from BF franchise.. while BF2, BF2142, BF1942 where really great game which were a mix between arma and COD, now BF has "evolved" in a bad copy of COD.

Don't let Arma fall in that tunnel!

I think this thread should end. Because nobody seems to understand what the OP meant with 'compete', and all ensuing responses are totally irrelevant and sometimes even hateful for no reason. It's a sad state of affairs that the Arma community takes any (even misunderstood) chance to say immature things about other games and their players just because they are not their cup of tea. How many times have BF players actively hated on the Arma series?

Couldnt the title be changed to something less emotive and hopefully stop the regurgitated canned comments?

This is the whole problem with typical ARMA players you think you're soo much better than everyone else because you play a slow, complex and deep game. But you're not... It's a great game but a game with many flaws, like all of the big games at the moment.

The OP doesn't want ARMA to become COD or battlefield and turn it's back on it's roots, he's simply stating the game has the experience to challenge the blockbuster games. And it does. But it can do it in it's own way, the ARMA way, which has gotten the game to this point. Doesn't need to compromise it's self and lower the threshold, it has the experience already. That's all. All the game needs is to improve gameplay; make it more fluid and make the expereince more accessable; more user friendly, still complex and deep and based on skill but more user friendly and it can take on the big blockbuster games even beat them.

People don't want bullshit action and to die every 10 seconds. They don't. The backlash everytime a new COD or battlefield is released proves that. They want a deeper, more rewarding and challenging expereince, they just don't want it to become boring thats all. And ARMA can do that. Whether it wants to or not is up to BI and in part up to it's fans.

Personally I don't think it would be a bad thing at all. People aren't as dumb as you think they are and are capable of learning curves and developing skill.

Couldnt the title be changed to something less emotive and hopefully stop the regurgitated canned comments?

Too late, damage done, havn't seen much evidence lately that folk are even reading the thread, just seeing the title and jumping on the chance to throw down some moronic l33tism.

This is the whole problem with typical ARMA players you think you're soo much better than everyone else because you play a slow, complex and deep game.

Arma fans don't think they are better than other people, they just think that Arma is a better game than other games, no surprise really. It was plain stupid to even mention Call of Duty and Battlefield in the thread title as it was unnecessary.

Arma fans don't think they are better than other people, they just think that Arma is a better game than other games, no surprise really. It was plain stupid to even mention Call of Duty and Battlefield in the thread title as it was unnecessary.

You're pretty much missing the point, as most of the guys here. Wouldn't you like if Arma was done right in PvP aspect right from the start? Cause, that's where Arma currently fails. This is only one example though, how Arma should and could compete with those.

Edited by Minoza

You're pretty much missing the point, as most of the guys here.

I understand the point perfectly, what you need to accept is that Arma simply cannot compete with those games because the fact is that the people who play those games desire fast and furious house to house and room to foom firefights. We all know that Arma is far too clunky for fighting fluidly indoors.

I understand the point perfectly, what you need to accept is that Arma simply cannot compete with those games because the fact is that the people who play those games desire fast and furious house to house and room to foom firefights. We all know that Arma is far too clunky for fighting fluidly indoors.

Arma 2 is, that's why we're all hoping new animation system might improve door to door fighting. We shall see. But, realize that this isn't the only thing concerning good PvP, and I still can't see why Arma 3 couldn't or shouldn't compete with a game like BF3 in that regard, especially since Arma can actually do even more given all the stuff it allows you to do.

and I still can't see why Arma 3 couldn't or shouldn't compete with a game like BF3 in that regard

Because Arma3 isn't a console game.

Let's demand that A3 should have its very own & typical mp missions! So people won't say "Ah yes, that's just something I played XX times in CoD and/or BF...." Don't let BIS devs get away with "just copying" stuff that works somehow in shooter games. BIS can make the difference! ;)

Dragonshot used this "hurr durr bash BF3 without reading the thread, it'll make me look like cool milsimer" several pages back and now he's doing it again. Just ignore him...

Here is how I see it ;-) http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?125819-ArmA-3-Community-wishes-amp-ideas-NO-DISCUSSION&p=2152982&viewfull=1#post2152982

Edited by batto

[/color]

Let's demand that A3 should have its very own & typical mp missions..

I'd agree with this. I'm pretty confident BIS now* can see what saturation can a ''simple'' mission / mod make and while I'm neither looking for overly simple, console style missions, it would be foolish not to include some decent yet quite simple missions in the official package. I'm also pretty impressed that Domi is around for so long and still have hundreds of players playing every day. Same BE warfare. For some reason these missions are very popular yet doesn't copy any of the big titles and remain quite unique to Arma series, where I seen those first. Now they're not exactly hyper realistic but leave the player a choice and huge replayability value and more ''this uniqe missions / mods is what I beleieve the thread OPP point was about.

I'd like to see more thoughts than stating the obvious like: Meh fuck em consoles is all I have to say

I still can't see why Arma 3 couldn't or shouldn't compete with a game like BF3 in that regard

BECAUSE:

1. both BF3 and COD are games designed AROUND PVP Multiplayer (battlelog browser, achievements, unlocks, perfectly symmetric speced weapons and balanced to the micron multiplayer etc etc).

Arma is designed around the sandbox - do your own thing as you please - concept, which is right at the other end of the scale.

2. Both COD and BF3 target platform is XBOX and PS3, and NOT the PC. Yes, it runs on PC just as well, but everything from the control schemes to the features (or lack of such as lean) are designed with consoles in mind.

I said it before, and i am gonna say it again: i am certain celery will make a wonderful job designed out of the box pvp missions.

That said, some of you would expect this game to have certain features you are able to find in your generic public PVP oriented shooter. Don't have your bubble burst when that is NOT gonna happen.

@batto:

so what you want is ported over PvP missions from fast paced shooters into A3 (example of weapons found on the floor, which in all other games you need to run over, while in A3 you'll have to actually use your actions to pick it up)? With a little bit of imagination (surely, not from your part), there can be the same game mods, or even more for public PvP that don't involve the stupidity and illogic of your generic UT/Quake/CS games.

Edited by PuFu

BECAUSE:

1. both BF3 and COD are games designed AROUND PVP Multiplayer (battlelog browser, achievements, unlocks, perfectly symmetric speced weapons and balanced to the micron multiplayer etc etc).

Arma is designed around the sandbox - do your own thing as you please - concept, which is right at the other end of the scale.

Counter-Strike is designed around PvP MP too and it doesn't have most of the crap you describe. Same goes for UT and Quake.

so what you want is ported over PvP missions from fast paced shooters into A3

ARMA is fast paced shooter too you're just too ignorant to accept it beacuse you're used to play slow paced boring coops only. CTF was invented in fast-paced shooters and is played in ARMA too. Those other game modes could be played too with little modifications.

(example of weapons found on the floor, which in all other games you need to run over, while in A3 you'll have to actually use your actions to pick it up)?

I didn't say anything on how should be equimpent picked up. Of course run over is not an option.

With a little bit of imagination (surely, not from your part), there can be the same game mods, or even more for public PvP that don't involve the stupidity and illogic of your generic UT/Quake/CS games.

Why not to invent new totally different (and currently unknown) Internet because some people doesn't like the current one?

stupidity and illogic of your generic UT/Quake/CS games

If you're not interested you can continue to play your boring coops for soldier wanabees.

I can't shit down on your preferences no matter how much i would want it, so you should do the same, and keep your own turd for yourself then.
Edited by batto

Counter-Strike is designed around PvP MP too and it doesn't have most of the crap you describe. Same goes for UT and Quake.

yeah, the point i am trying to make: A3 is NOT gonna be designed around PVP MP, no matter how hard you crybaby. get used to it

ARMA is fast paced shooter too you're just too ignorant to accept it beacuse you're used to play slow paced boring coops only. CTF was invented in fast-paced shooters and is played in ARMA too. Those other game modes could be played too with little modifications.

Son, pull that finger out of your ass please. Even if that gives you pleasure, it's very rude to do it in public.

1. you don't know me, and have no idea what types of games i play. One thing for sure, i've took part in most if not all PvP tournaments available and some ladders as well since 206-2007. I have even tried some in OFP days, but my internet connection was really limited back then.

One thing for certain, I haven't seen you in any of those.

2. you can keep all the rest of your boring opinions for yourself.

3. I am aware CTF is being played in ArmA too, still the pace of the game is nowhere near UT or Quake.

I didn't say anything on how should be equimpent picked up. Of course run over is not an option.

Not but it is obvious you don't really think much either.

Why not to invent new totally different (and currently unknown) Internet because some people doesn't like the current one?

straw argument much

If you're not interested you can continue to play your boring coops for soldier wanabees.

if you can't grasp the fact that there won't be any fucking UT gamemodes in arma (and unlike you i can put money on it since i know i can't loose any), why don't you go back to playing quake live or whatever other game out there. If any, you can compare Arma PvP MP with AA2/3 raven shield etc.

maybe you should go bark at a different tree

http://i.imgur.com/D1xE4.gif

Edited by PuFu

Like I said before, the context of 'compete' is lost on most people here. Nothing changed.

This topic is getting better and better. Only name callings and prejudices.