Sign in to follow this  
engima

Escape Chernarus (Mission Release)

I want to play this mission but every single time I do, during the first 2 minutes a chopper starts following me around and there's nothing I can do about it.

It happens EVERY time. Just as I run about 250-500m from the prison camp a chopper suddenly appears and starts following me around and the only thing I can do about it is to hide in the forest, waiting for it to run out of fuel and hope that it doesn't hit me with it's MGs, which is incredibly dull.

Firstly a big thank you for making this mission, me and my friends are having loads of fun playing Escape Chernarus.

I am pretty new to mission editing and have been trying to figure out the basics on how to modify your mission to allow for example switching of playable sides, so we can play as Russians Vs US. Do you have any advice or information that would help us achieve this? I think I read it was possible to switch by changing a variable but I can't seem to find it. Would be really cool if this could be a parameter that we can switch similar to how we can switch grass on and off.

Also I have tried changing the unit in the mission file but I think it breaks the AI as they end attacking each other. I am guessing that changing the unit/factions needs a little more than just changing the units. Again any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

And again, thanks for your hard work making this cool mission. All the best.

I want to play this mission but every single time I do, during the first 2 minutes a chopper starts following me around and there's nothing I can do about it.

It happens EVERY time. Just as I run about 250-500m from the prison camp a chopper suddenly appears and starts following me around and the only thing I can do about it is to hide in the forest, waiting for it to run out of fuel and hope that it doesn't hit me with it's MGs, which is incredibly dull.

This is very true. I posted a similar complaint a few months ago. Basically your only hope is to run. Personally I don't think that a helo should arrive on-site so soon.

This is very true. I posted a similar complaint a few months ago. Basically your only hope is to run. Personally I don't think that a helo should arrive on-site so soon.

You can lose the chopper, I can lose it when I crouch run, and use trees to break line of sight. Plus the start position is random so the chopper can arrive at different times, its just the luck of the draw.

Just a question, has anyone ever actually beaten this??!

Just a question, has anyone ever actually beaten this??!

I've beaten it with a group of 4-6 people at least 5 times so far.

You can lose the chopper, I can lose it when I crouch run, and use trees to break line of sight. Plus the start position is random so the chopper can arrive at different times, its just the luck of the draw.

The chopper won't show up, if you kill the guards fast enough, so they can't call for help. This seems to be around 30-60 secs after they got aware you escaped.

If you escape and run into a forest, the chopper probably can't see you. The chopper will circle the area. You'd think he is following you, but indeed he is just searching the area.

I have some trouble because i don't know much about editing such missions. How can I open (if I have your permission of course) your mission and give ourselves a Makarov SD with 8 mags on the start?

I hope you can help me and thanks again for this amazing mission!

Open InitServer.sqf and search

// Spawn guard

You can add this

_guard/_unit addweapon "MakarovSD";

after this lines

_guard/_unit removeWeapon "ItemGPS";

The unit "_guard" is the guy with the weak heart and the "_unit" guys (in a for loop) are all other guards at the startpos.

The chopper won't show up, if you kill the guards fast enough, so they can't call for help. This seems to be around 30-60 secs after they got aware you escaped.

If you escape and run into a forest, the chopper probably can't see you. The chopper will circle the area. You'd think he is following you, but indeed he is just searching the area.

I'm pretty sure that if it constantly fires MG bursts at you then it definitely sees you.

I've played this mission a dozen+ times and the helo has turned up 90% of the time.

I can assure you that we've whacked the guard in less than 30 secs and yet the chopper arrived.

Plus I've got to agree with kiberkiller than running through the forest seems to do nothing.

Several times we've hidden, run, driven and shot at the helo.

Nothing seems to work.

This single issue caused several of our clan to give up in disgust, refusing to play the mission.

In 3 years of weekly gaming sessions I've rarely seen any mission provoke such extreme reactions.

It's a shame because everyone REALLY likes the idea.

In the end, only 1 other really hardcore guy and I continued (we actually cheated because he had a printed map on his wall).

We finished it, once.

It was VERY satisfying though :)

So maybe someone should tone down the helo's aggression and/or the speed at which it arrives.

You could also add a hint by saying "Oh no! I heard them radioing for support!! We'd better get moving, now!!!"

And/or "Next time, we'd better eliminate those guards more quickly or else we risk encountering more troops...."

Would like A SP version of this, I know I can run it dedicated, but There needs to be a version where you can mkae the other playable spots AI enabled?

This mission is fantastic on Lingor.

Wait, there's a Lingor version?

I'd be interested in a Takistan or other version, as well.

My friend has been making modifications to this mission and he just ported it to Lingor for us.

My friend has been making modifications to this mission and he just ported it to Lingor for us.

Get him to upload it! I'd love to try this on a new island.

Would love to try this out if it's possible to release it for us to download. And any information on the process of porting the mission to other islands would be really helpful too.

When it's in a more final version I'll try to get him to upload it.

First time playing this mission, and I'm really excited about the concept.

The only thing that I'm confused about is some of the technical details relating to enemy spawning.

Upon starting up the game it seems as if I clear the initial starting area of enemies and if I linger long enough to loot enemies, AI will spawn ridiculously close by.

I don't know what is defined as a "far" spawn setting, but it seems like you can't turn your back because the scripts will create an enemy AI very close to you.

I'm not sure if I didn't simply kill -all- of the initial starting ai in the area, although I thought I had.

But in any case, has anyone had similar experiences?

Beyond that slight buzz kill, I'm optimistic for the mission itself.

---------- Post added at 03:21 ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 ----------

Mi-8 comes when you are detected and your position is reported in to enemy HQ. If you are quick enough when breaking out, noone reports your position, HQ doesn't know, and chopper stays on the ground. The old russian choppers in Chernarus need refuel often (I've heard) so they will hunt you for some minutes (random) and then return to base to refuel for some minutes (also random), and then come after you again (flying to somewhere near your last known position). When I play, we usually run like h*ll from start, to get some distance between us and prison, and lay prone when chopper is above us. Often he doesn't see us. When chopper looks for you at some distance, you know that he has lost track of you.

Difficulty has not been increased, but anyway you can set enemy skill and number of enemy units in mission lobby.

One thing I have thought about is that road block units are quity aggressive. Maybe I will make them a little less agressive, and just have them guarding their road segment. Sometimes I think there are a little too much armor running around, and traffic and enemies are quite plenty anyway. Anyone agree?

I've experienced this and my impression is that there's a lot of "nudging" of the AI.

I was halfway down a hill, under heavy cover from trees and it still found me.

Another thing I noticed is that when I've scouted a town prior to entering it, in the hopes of making an assessment of any potential threats.

From a certain distance I -never- see AI, only when its too late and I'm already inside.

I'm still wondering about spawn thresholds.

Fun Mission, thanks! Only played a handful of times, but it's one I can see myself and a mate coming back to.

When you're in a town, do AI respawn infinitely to harass you into leaving?

Are there never points in the game where you're given the opportunity to fight and keep some ground for a period of time if only to re-arm and potentially make off with an enemy vehicle?

A lot of this mission can really be circumvented by simply tromping through the wilderness and avoiding everything you come across.

There's no real tactical incentive to do anything because you're just going to be respawn-hounded until you succumb to attrition.

Nice concept, but it could use some reworking.

40 % of all starts fail because of desynced initialisation

Are you playing the latest version? That was a problem first versions, but i still think I fixed it. Current version is 1.8.

---------- Post added at 18:01 ---------- Previous post was at 17:57 ----------

I read you. And all posts saying the same. I will reduce the probability for choppers in the beginning in next release. Thanks everyone for useful feedback!

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:01 ----------

I am pretty new to mission editing and have been trying to figure out the basics on how to modify your mission to allow for example switching of playable sides, so we can play as Russians Vs US.

This is something that is on my TODO list. Unfortunately it is a little tricky to do right now. You will need to find all code lines that spawn units...

---------- Post added at 18:29 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

I can't wait! :)

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Upon starting up the game it seems as if I clear the initial starting area of enemies and if I linger long enough to loot enemies, AI will spawn ridiculously close by. I don't know what is defined as a "far" spawn setting, but it seems like you can't turn your back because the scripts will create an enemy AI very close to you. I'm not sure if I didn't simply kill -all- of the initial starting ai in the area, although I thought I had.

Far is 1500 meters away from the player in the player group that stands closest. Medium is 1000 meters, and Short is 500 meters. You must have had some kind of error. I think your own conclution is correct.

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

When you're in a town, do AI respawn infinitely to harass you into leaving?

No, they do not respawn infinitely. Maybe some will join the urban fight because they just happen to walk by on the road. Units never spawn closer than current spawn distance (see previous post). If you clean a village the village will be empty, even if you go to the other side of the map and back.

I'm going to give it another go then.

I killed a crapload of opfor in that one town, but I'll stick it out this time and see if I can clean it out.

-EDIT-

Played it again last night, and I still can't help but notice if you get caught in a specific area, there's a steady trickle of AI that filter in from specific areas.

I don't know if that's because they're spawning at the utmost extremity of the spawn range (1500m?) or if there's a rather frequent spawn interval involved.

Kind of seems like they filter in at a predictable rate though.

Anyhow, I'm starting to like this mission, its really growing on me.

One thing I will say that would make it a bit more interesting is tracking dogs used by the enemy.

Or even possibly being able to recruit a dog from a nearby town to make noise when it detects ai of a particular side.

Shoot an animal, collect its meat and then entice the dog to be loyal or something.

Kind of a go-between for not having a map/GPS, but still being able to have some advance warning of AI creeping around brush and buildings.

I would also inquire about the behavior of civilians around opfor AI.

Do they always abandon their vehicles when you're riding with them and they come upon a platoon walking along the road?

Its happened to me twice now, and its resulted in some very hairy situations.

Edited by Pd3

Hey Engima I have just discovered your mission even though im a moderator and working on Armaholic every day I am just ashamed that I have noticed your GREAT mission

just now. I LOVE IT! really... I have played it all day and just cant stop, in fact its on pause right now as im writing this, lol.

Anyways, I have some questions - is it possible I can change the militia to Russian or even another faction to be the enemy? Another thing is that I am playing it in Single Player

and im sure it was made for coop right? well when I start it, it says in the corner "Single Player Mode" and then also "Unlimited Lives". But whenever I die I have the screen to be

able to be revived - IF I had team mates and thats it, im dead! cause I cant do anything, lol. I know it my fault but I really wish this could have spawn options for single player too.

Apart from that, I love it. I do hope you can add more and more to it, maybe Demomized flare script so when they are searching for you at night they shoot the flares around where

you are to help find you, that would be awesome. Also maybe adding dogs to the hunters who are trying to find the escapee?

Anyways man, thanks again. :)

Engima

Thank you for your great mission!

Could you add alternative escape ways?

We were playing for about 2 hours. We hijacked a communication center and got to extraction point. But we saw BMP-3 too late... It blew up our boats before they arrived :(

We managed to hijack another communication center but there weren't new extraction points. It was a bad final.

Later I checked if it's possible to hijack the helicopter in the airport but the pilot never gets out, only when I damage the heli.

My suggestions:

• if boats are dead we must be able to call them once again (from already hijacked CC or another one);
  • maybe some team members are able to operate the helicopter (e.g. FAC operator) - then we could hijack it. But the pilot and the crew must get out of the heli when it's on land.

I love your mission and by now have spend 25+ hours on it roughly, But I'm getting pretty bored of the Chernarus map and was wondering if you could port the map over to Takistan?