Sign in to follow this  
JSparks819

ARMA 3 on consoles

It wont be a Sim anymore, just another modern war FPS...

Isn't that the case now anyway? Shouldn't we just accept our new accessible authentic balanced war shooter sandbox?

If I've missed any buzzwords let me know.

No, Wiki, Arma 3 is a future warfare FPS :icon_twisted: Arma 3 is PC-exclusive, wait for Arma 4 before you start getting your fears up. :rolleyes:

Isn't that the case now anyway? Shouldn't we just accept our new accessible authentic balanced war shooter sandbox?

Well done sir.

Ahah.

What I just mean is another spiritless, guided, QTEed, etc... FPS.

ArmA 3 is alone in its approach of shooter. There is nothing like it:

No other FPS is as realistic as it is.

The simple truth is there are more console players than PC. Mainly due to price and convenience.

BIS would have quite a lot of revenue if they made a cut-down version for consoles.

They did it for OFP which was quite successful I think.

As long as it doesn't impact the PC version, whats your gripe?

This.

I wouldn't have heard of the Arma series and got into PC gaming if it wasn't for the Xbox OFP: Elite version.

OFP:Elite didn't seem to dumb down the Arma series on it's PC big brother, so can't see why an "xbox one" Arma game would now.

I respect the fact that a lot of posters in here want BIS to maintain the integrity of the game, but I just can't see how it would hurt the PC experience.

Plus which I must add that if you're concerned about "dumbing down the gameplay and diluting the brand"... well, I can point at Arma 2: Firing Range and Arma: Tactics as examples of BI's willingness to throw the Arma brand's name onto very not "milsim" games...

OFP had much less options and possibilities than ArmA 3.

All the actions needed on OFP could be done with a gamepad.

Not anymore.

Moreover, the ArmA serie becomes much hardcore everytime, and a console cant follow it.

Not anymore.

It's been said for quite some time that controls-wise the biggest impediment for "all gamepad" control would be unit commanding... but didn't they get that to work somehow on a controller back in Elite?
Moreover, the ArmA serie becomes much hardcore everytime, and a console cant follow it.
.... ahahahahahahahahaha! :lol:

Not anymore.

Of course it can't follow it.

That's why you have to prioritise on a console and work out who you're selling it to, what things they want from a game and then make those things happen flawlessly for them.

Considering the biggest market on console is guys who want to kill each other: They could for example release a cut down MP only version, put all the cool anims and shizzle in there that console players like and really show EA how to do an MP fight experience. Even better, put a plugin into the PC version that allows you to export suitably compatible missions to an Xbox friendly format, and then you can share free missions like people used to do on the first Xbox when playing user created missions in games like Farcry. (Maybe there are some other games where you can do that now on xbox 360 - I haven't really checked recently).

That would be a massive one in the eye for certain companies that enjoy charging their playerbase for generic game modes that can only be created "in house".

I still wouldn't buy it (as I've got the full experience on PC) but I would have no problem with BIS if they tried to expand their market by doing some sort of "taster" version of A3 on XboxOne/ps4.

EDIT: It's just an example of what you could do for console (not my doubleplusgood idea or anything).

Edited by Das Attorney

I believe his complaint is that doing so would somehow necessarily lead to a dilution of the PC version as well...

I believe his complaint is that doing so would somehow necessarily lead to a dilution of the PC version as well...

He has a point to an extent.

However most diluting of games on PC comes developing for Console first then porting it over to PC...

He has a point to an extent.

However most diluting of games on PC comes developing for Console first then porting it over to PC...

Yeah, but almost everytime a PC only game was then created for consoles aswell, then it became consoles priority and sucked on PC.

Examples:

Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, Call of Duty, AvP etc...

Those games were great when PC only, they're now shit on multiplateform.

Most of it because guys dont bother creating console version and PC version: they just make the console version (limited version) then sell the same limited game on PC

Somewhere in there is a joke that this already exists for Arma but only the "PC version" caught on... :p

As much as I want to throw my e-peen around and tell OP how much PC's are ahead of consoles, I do think that Arma on console would be cool. The new consoles could do with a new wargame that isn't just the same game with a different suffix. (I'm looking at you Ghosts...)

Competition against the current triple A titles is desperately needed, because they're gonna keep on milking their franchise' until someone steps up with something different. Perhaps given the option, console players could learn not to be mindless chimps banging their heads on a kinect.

As much as I want to throw my e-peen around and tell OP how much PC's are ahead of consoles, I do think that Arma on console would be cool. The new consoles could do with a new wargame that isn't just the same game with a different suffix. (I'm looking at you Ghosts...)

Competition against the current triple A titles is desperately needed, because they're gonna keep on milking their franchise' until someone steps up with something different. Perhaps given the option, console players could learn not to be mindless chimps banging their heads on a kinect.

Love it, full of lols. Very true though, it would be great to see something new in the console community.

It's been said for quite some time that controls-wise the biggest impediment for "all gamepad" control would be unit commanding... but didn't they get that to work somehow on a controller back in Elite?

.... ahahahahahahahahaha! :lol:

You would press Right on the D pad to enter a command screen similar to what we had in Arma 1 and still do in A2, that is the command screen versus simply bringing up the cursor like it was in CWC..or maybe CWA as its now known.

If you would like to see the controls then check here http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=38804&tab=controls

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7417-Next-Gen-Buyers-Guide

Gald someone has already said it all for me.

I actually had OFP Elite on the ol' xbox. and quite enjoyed playing through the game for the 3rd or 4th time. The MP sucked a bit, and there were lots of complaints about complexity, might have been a regional thing.

Thanks for the link, NodUnit! Truthbetold it's more complex now, but what you mentioned (that "D-Pad Right" would bring up a command screen) at least indicates that someone thought of and implemented a solution for gamepads at one point.

Truthbetold I'd wonder whether the level of detail that's possible with the current keyboard-based system is possible with a "command screen" (I don't mean "not clunky", "nearly as fast as on keyboard" or even "intuitive", I mean possible) since the only change I've heard re: Arma 3 squad commanding compared to Arma 2 besides the keybind change (moving "select all" over to the tilde key) was from Lukas Haladik mentioning the possibility of reducing group/"squad" sizes to eight (8) instead of ten (10).

Funny thing: that Arma 3 on tablet thread? The thread creator now has a (Splashtop Gamepad THD?) profile for controlling Arma 3 on a touchscreen. :lol:

Yes, I have created a basic Arma profile - here is a pic. The only problem is I can't seem to make a button for NUMPAD ENTER to switch to 3rd person mode. Not a big issue but I could always change it in the control settings.

A big move joystick on the left, shooting, aiming on the right. I even have a little button above the aim button for switching between collimator/scope (Ctrl + RMB). I get my keyboard dock this weekend though making on screen controls redundant.

http://s3.postimg.org/d5ht7exf6/DSC_0016.jpg

Edited by Chortles

It took Bohemia 5 years to make Hand Grenades stop exploding on impact. Their change was to make grenades bounce like rubber balls. This remained in place until the release of Arma3 alpha. A period of 6 years. Arma games are really rather complicated. I doubt converting the game (made on an engine absolutely NOT developed for consoles) is done in a handwave.

Ken

I honestly would love to see Arma on consoles. I want everyone to be able to experience these games, and I honestly can't run Arma 3 all that well on my outdated PC. Since I'm already getting a PS4, it would be nice to be able to play it on there until I get enough money to get a better PC. I think people are underselling the newer console's specs. If my Geforece 220 can still run this game on low (with 8 gigs of ram), then I'm sure the PS4/XB1 could at least run this game medium/high easily. The controls "could" be an issue, but with multitap button presses, you could easily access menus. I really think Arma needs to clean up its radio controls anyways, and simplifying the way you can order your units would be awesome. The only problem would be the editor, as you couldn't do the same things you could on a PC. Maybe cap the units that you can place to 150 or so. I know it could be done given the proper amount of time, I just don't think Bohemia has the resources to fully port it over completely. Modding CAN work on consoles, actually. Unreal Tournament 3 had modding, you just had to install the mods via USB, but it still had it. If made right, I'm sure Arma 3 on the newer consoles could do the same. I don't get all of the console bashing on here. Don't get me wrong, I love PC gaming, but consoles are convenient and easy to develop for since the games don't have to be scaled towards multiple hardware setups. I think PC gamers should stop belittling consoles and just embrace them for what they are while still enjoying their high-end PC.

didn't notice the last post and can't figure out how to delete, my bad.

Edited by rohan
fail

the new consoles are pretty terrible in singlethreaded cpu performance, arma games wont run well unless they find a way around that.

I wish it comes on console but I don't think its doable. Now with workshop replayability will never be over.

the new consoles are pretty terrible in singlethreaded cpu performance, arma games wont run well unless they find a way around that.
Not surprising, the consoles went AMD. :p