Sign in to follow this  
JSparks819

ARMA 3 on consoles

Funny thing is that Codemasters did exactly that.

They've butchered OFP and made it playable on consoles for a "broad audience": Dragon Rising.

Since even OFP:Elite is a hard game due to deaths of you and your companions still being quick. And it's much easier to play shooters on PC since you have a mouse and keyboard and have much better precision of your movements with them. With gamepads moving and turning is already a chore.

Console players are used to their controllers like pc gamers do know theirs. If done right console games can be great and fun. Publishers simply don't want to waste time and money for two extra variants of one game. Why they should bother if there are enough people buying streamlined games incl. pre-sliced DLCs? Just make sure that teaser/trailers and other advertisments are luring people into "I must have this!" Of course make sure that devs are using "great", "awesome", "unique", "immersive" and similar words in interviews. Maybe even hire a studio just for making teaser/trailers ads.

OFP: Elite was released like 4 years after the original and yet they didn't have to cut much from it since original OFP was quite arcade-ish in comparison with what we have now while ArmA2 already is much more feature-rich and realistic.

OFP is everything but arcade-ish, even compared to ArmA2 :rolleyes:

I hate when people say that a console can not "run" a game because of it's specs. It's called optimization. Basically they would develop the game to work specifically for the Xbox or PS3 components. Yes, the PS3 has 4 year old hardware, but 4 year old hardware can run great if programs are optimized and made specifically to work with it. And I know for a fact that the PS3 supports both mouse and keyboard inputs, it's just that not many developers support it - and has anyone actually tried plugging in an Xbox controller into your PC and playing ArmA with it? It's not bad, but I sure as hell wouldn't do it.

Now, I'm not saying ArmA III should be on consoles, what I'm saying is that half the people that posted here have posted complete hogwash. They just don't want to see their favorite game turn into the "next COD or BF3", being played by a bunch of 12 year old kids. And I can understand that, but as I said, it is still possible.

Edited by Nicholas

..... 4 year old hardware can run great if programs are optimized and made specifically to work with it......

THAT'S the thing. I imagine Arma game on console would have to be completely redesigned. Practically it would have to be a different game. And what's the point of creating two very, very similar games with the only difference being the platform it runs on?

THAT'S the thing. I imagine Arma game on console would have to be completely redesigned. Practically it would have to be a different game. And what's the point of creating two very, very similar games with the only difference being the platform it runs on?

Yes, it would have to be completely redesigned, but that's not the point. What I'm saying is that it is indeed possible. They've already done it with OFP: Elite.

And what's the point of creating two very, very similar games with the only difference being the platform it runs on?

$$$ Money $$$

I myself do not want to see ArmA on consoles. But I'm just sick and tired of people saying that's it's not possible because of all the buttons that can't be mapped and there are hardware limitations. That's just hogwash. Like I said earlier, try plugging in an Xbox controller into your PC and play ArmA with it. Bohemia Interactive did a good job of mapping the most needed controls.

Edited by Nicholas

can this be put to rest already? BIS have already stated that A3 would be PC exclusive only. every time BIS releases a sequel this happens. they have already tried going on consoles, if they said they will not be doing it again, im sure they have a reason and know very well if it's worth their time and money to invest in it.

Like I said earlier, try plugging in an Xbox controller into your PC and play ArmA with it. Bohemia Interactive did a good job of mapping the most needed controls.

So what you say is that if you will plug X360 controller into your PC and will never use a keyboard and mouse ever again in ArmA2?

I wouldn't mind if BIS made a console game loosely based on ArmA. A more small scale tank warfare simulator or console version of Take On Helicopters could be interesting.

As long as it isn't an ArmA title. It should not be marketed as such as it would inflict serious name damage.

And it should not be a multiplatform title. It is either a console game or a PC game. Not a single piece of console code - unless it enhances the PC framework - should be found in the PC version. No porting - only native platform developing.

Operation Flashpoint: Elite (which I still think should be re-released as XBLA/PSN game) drew a fine line on whether a simulator is a console game or a PC game. However, using the same name for the PC game and the slightly butchered (in terms of interfacing with the gamer) console version was a stupid decision.

As long as BIS makes quality PC simulations first and all other software second I wouldn't mind at all. Exploring the market is usually need for business expansion.

I'm thinking it's been kept open for the PC communities entertainment, kinda like when a cat teases and tosses it's prey around.

Fair enough, I just figured that with how gung ho (or on top of things, however you want to look at things) the moderators around here seem to be regarding locking threads, I thought this thread would be a goner...

So what you say is that if you will plug X360 controller into your PC and will never use a keyboard and mouse ever again in ArmA2?

Just because I said they did a godo job mapping the controls, doesn't mean I am going to play the game that way. I was just using it as an example for people complaining that "there would nto be enough buttons for all the controls."

Here is my previous post:

I hate when people say that a console can not "run" a game because of it's specs. It's called optimization. Basically they would develop the game to work specifically for the Xbox or PS3 components. Yes, the PS3 has 4 year old hardware, but 4 year old hardware can run great if programs are optimized and made specifically to work with it. And I know for a fact that the PS3 supports both mouse and keyboard inputs, it's just that not many developers support it - and has anyone actually tried plugging in an Xbox controller into your PC and playing ArmA with it? It's not bad, but I sure as hell wouldn't do it.

Now, I'm not saying ArmA III should be on consoles, what I'm saying is that half the people that posted here have posted complete hogwash. They just don't want to see their favorite game turn into the "next COD or BF3", being played by a bunch of 12 year old kids. And I can understand that, but as I said, it is still possible.

Arma3 for consols? i loled a bit.

there is no consoles that have hardware good enought to run the game.

and besides. you would need a controller much like this . :D

PS4-Controller-concept.jpg

Arma3 for consols? i loled a bit.

there is no consoles that have hardware good enought to run the game.

and besides. you would need a controller much like this . :D

PS4-Controller-concept.jpg

LOL... you are still three buttons short... :D

It might run on PS5 or Xbox 1440...

What controls need to be mapped that would not fit on the joystick? Most of you are just making up stupid excuses because you don't want to see ArmA become the next "COD".

Neither do I, but there is no reason to lie.

Edited by Nicholas

Not everything would have to be mapped to the controller. A console version would just have to make more extensive use of the menu to select controls. It'd take a whole lot more time to order your units places, but not everything needs to be mapped. Now, yes, if you're the kind of person who maps out most of their controls on their mouse (9 button mouse), then you'd most likely have a problem. I honestly would prefer that the game remain PC exclusive, if not simply because there aren't many PC exclusives anymore while there are several console exclusives.

@Nicholas Here's what you mean:

Most of you are just making up stupid excuses because you don't want to see ArmA become the next "COD", which most of you probably haven't even played.

Not everything would have to be mapped to the controller. A console version would just have to make more extensive use of the menu to select controls. It'd take a whole lot more time to order your units places, but not everything needs to be mapped. Now, yes, if you're the kind of person who maps out most of their controls on their mouse (9 button mouse), then you'd most likely have a problem. I honestly would prefer that the game remain PC exclusive, if not simply because there aren't many PC exclusives anymore while there are several console exclusives.

I am a long time fan of OFP and ArmA - I own multiple copies of each, I bought OFP back in 2001 when it first came out. I own Take On Helicopters.

But I just hate all this bullshit talk about it being "not possible", when it is. People keep talking about "limitations" and "not enough buttons". It is all bullshit They've already done it before! (OFP: Elite)

Like I said, as most of you don't seem to read it, I do NOT want ArmA on consoles!

How many times do I have to say it for you to read it?

I do NOT want ArmA on consoles!

What I'm trying to say is that we definitely do not want ArmA on consoles. Why? So it does not become "mainstream". But, there is no need to throw in a bunch of lies about "hardware limitations" and whatnot.

Edited by Nicholas

Bohemia themselves have stated numorous times that Arma has long outgrown consoles.

Game quality always suffers on the PC side when games are cross-platform

Crysis and Battlefield are good examples of that.

Making versions for consoles will just take precious resources away from Developement/patching of Arma 2, Arma 3 and Take on Helicopters.

And for what, a few more bucks on players who will play the game for a couple of weeks

until their ADHD kicks in and they sell it on Craigslist or return it to the rental store?

Edited by jblackrupert

Bohemia themselves have stated numorous times that Arma has long outgrown consoles.

I know that!!!!! I am saying that I do not want it on consoles. What the heck are you not understanding???? I'm not saying it should be developed for consoles at all. I'm saying that people should stop making up bullshit lies about limitations.

Game quality always suffers on the PC side when games are cross-platform

Crysis and Battlefield are good examples of that.

Making versions for consoles will just take precious resources away from Developement/patching of Arma 2, Arma 3 and Take on Helicopters.

And for what, a few more bucks on players who will play the game for a couple of weeks

until their ADHD kicks in and they sell it on Craigslist or return it to the rental store?

Exactly! ^^

Bart Simpsons blackboard.

Maruk speaking about the consoles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgkkkKgRSU4

seem to have issues embedding it and starting it at a specific time I admit dunno how to do it. It was giving me an error

Console part at 4:17

Its from 2008 before Arma 2 shipped seems like the company has shifted further away from consoles though.

Edited by Flash Thunder

Its from 2008 before Arma 2 shipped seems like the company has shifted further away from consoles though.

Not the company - just Arma. :p

Carrier Command is definitely coming out on consoles.

Not the company - just Arma.

Yeah I think when Maruk mentioned "games are supposed to be adequately on par with the technology" back in 2008 he may have supposed that consoles would have kept pace with PC's.

If BIS wants to score a little "easy" money, they should re-release Operation Flashpoint: Elite as ArmA: Elite and sell it on XBLA and PSN.

Obviously with 1080p resolution, surround sound support, co-op gameplay and the ability to share missions.

But, there is no need to throw in a bunch of lies about "hardware limitations" and whatnot.

say what ?? do some investigation about ps3/xbox hardware specs.

then check out what arma3 will need. ther are no lies. only facts.

if the game where to run on a console, the dev's have to take out so much from the game that it would not be arma3 anymore..