Sign in to follow this  
blakeace

Blake's PINS (Pseudo Inertial Navigation System) and Bombing

Hey Blakeace ... just wanted to thank you for this. I LOVE it, even when I'm in a chopper. Being able to tell my guys an accurate eta is superb - nevermind the bombing aspect :)

AH yes I do use ace! that basically why I need this mod because default ACE it sucks to guide bombs! will you make it ace compatible? because thats where to money is! people who want to use this probably also use ace!

Little question...

I'm admin server on BoB's server (French team).

We play Warfare make by Rubber.

The client need the mod for play or just need on server's side (like MMA) ?

If not only server's side, is it possible to do it (if it's not difficult for you) and Rubber can had your mod in his Warfare.

Because we have a public server where a lot of player like fly and I think player will love your mod ! Our priority's server are server with no mod needed.

Thanks

PS: Sorry for my English

Using the AI release point...AH I SEE. I would still allow the bomb to drop any time but still give the circle at optimum ranges, as I experienced I was dropping regular trigger bombs from the height of 3500 Meters and still getting perfect hits. It seems that as long as you are facing the target and at about 4.0 - 4.5 K the Bomb would drop and then guide right onto target. IF we allow the "O" key to drop when ever we want Im sure as long as we drop with int eh "Learned" parameters, we'll get perfect hits everytime! I am compiling footage right now and I have a certified marine FAC (Now Air force pilot) doing the 9 line portion for me. USing ACRE mod so radio should sound awesome!

I'll look at how to take the safety off.

Cool I look forward to viewing it!

Hey Blakeace ... just wanted to thank you for this. I LOVE it, even when I'm in a chopper. Being able to tell my guys an accurate eta is superb - nevermind the bombing aspect :)

Also makes timing your speed and flare much easier too! Transport helicopter pilot is one of my favorite roles, and is the reason I actually started playing around with this in the first place :)

AH yes I do use ace! that basically why I need this mod because default ACE it sucks to guide bombs! will you make it ace compatible? because thats where to money is! people who want to use this probably also use ace!

I can only pose the question, as it is something in ACE that breaks the only reliable way I have found to create a workable pipper. If it is something critical for their mods functionality then you might be out of luck.

Little question...

I'm admin server on BoB's server (French team).

We play Warfare make by Rubber.

The client need the mod for play or just need on server's side (like MMA) ?

If not only server's side, is it possible to do it (if it's not difficult for you) and Rubber can had your mod in his Warfare.

Because we have a public server where a lot of player like fly and I think player will love your mod ! Our priority's server are server with no mod needed.

Thanks

PS: Sorry for my English

I believe it would need to be server side as well for the XEH getin eventhandler, though I don't pretend to be an expert on the eventhandler stuff. Oh and your English is much better than my french!

First of all thx for a great addon Blakeace.

I have been testing and using this addon recently and its really a component which ARMA2, and ACE2 are missing.

However i have a small issue which im not sure is intended or just a technical limitation.

The problem is pinpointing a target on ground especially at night. Normally i would use right shift click on map as my SPI which both guides and a also points to a specific point on the ground. With the PINS MOD enabled the cue is gone and is replaced with the red SP marker on the map. You still get the guidence but trying to focus your aiming pipper from a distance at night( with nvg) its nearly impossible. To increaase the difficulty, lets say there is multiple targets in the area and you want to select only one. The reason for this is that the guiding rectangle is very wide and leaves it up to the pilot to find the designated area on the ground within the rectangle. In daylight this is usually no problem, but at night with no visual reference its very hard and is a big threath to friendlies :)

What i idealy would like to do (coming from a realistic DCS point of view) is to circle the area and using the camera to search for target and point to the most prioritised target with laser etc. Then pop back to HUD mode to find a small cue(spi marker in the hud) where the laser is pointing. Then you know that you can direct your plane and aligne the cannon towards the target from a distance and not franticly looking for the correct target in last seconds before overflying the target.

One solution is to ensure that the original right shift click cue is still present? Not sure if this is possible. Another solution is maybe to use a target square maybe in a another color than the original green where the laser is pointing. This allows the pilot to sort out the intended target amongst maybe 5 other green target squares.

I have no idea if this is actually possible to do, but im hoping :)

Secondly i have a small issue concerning the red SP marker on the map. For some reason it keeps "jumping" of the area where i have placed it. This is a problem when going inn for the kill, and you suddenly realize that the SP marker has changed to a new area without you knowing.

Hi Blake, just a quick thanks for this addon, really enjoying the added functionality . . .

One query/oddity I have been experiencing : - I seem to loose some of the capablities of your addon when I use basic, side based triggers in game/editor. e.g. I climb into my A10, set the marker to my desired destination - green guide frame with distance to target etc appears & I can access the laser etc. Then I cross the trigger area (just a simple Bluefor present & text/music effect) - the guide frame immediately disappears & when I use camera although I can still view the target position I loose the targeting crosshairs etc.

If I drop a bomb at this stage I still get a hit, but no markers visible for impact area.

Only seems to affect my plane when BlueFor trigger is activated.

Using Vanilla OA, latest Offical patches. Any help appreciated.

*edit* All triggers having similar effect/Any trigger that calls the unit I'm playing

Edited by Guttersnipe

First of all thx for a great addon Blakeace.

The problem is pinpointing a target on ground especially at night. Normally i would use right shift click on map as my SPI which both guides and a also points to a specific point on the ground. With the PINS MOD enabled the cue is gone and is replaced with the red SP marker on the map. You still get the guidence but trying to focus your aiming pipper from a distance at night( with nvg) its nearly impossible. To increaase the difficulty, lets say there is multiple targets in the area and you want to select only one. The reason for this is that the guiding rectangle is very wide and leaves it up to the pilot to find the designated area on the ground within the rectangle. In daylight this is usually no problem, but at night with no visual reference its very hard and is a big threath to friendlies :)

What i idealy would like to do (coming from a realistic DCS point of view) is to circle the area and using the camera to search for target and point to the most prioritised target with laser etc. Then pop back to HUD mode to find a small cue(spi marker in the hud) where the laser is pointing. Then you know that you can direct your plane and aligne the cannon towards the target from a distance and not franticly looking for the correct target in last seconds before overflying the target.

One solution is to ensure that the original right shift click cue is still present? Not sure if this is possible. Another solution is maybe to use a target square maybe in a another color than the original green where the laser is pointing. This allows the pilot to sort out the intended target amongst maybe 5 other green target squares.

I have no idea if this is actually possible to do, but im hoping :)

I have an idea on a way to not have a constant click on map sp movemnet but haven't had the time atm to play around with anything.

I have purposely tried to make this mod first and foremost something that increases the air to ground communication as I see arma as an infantry simulator. So the mod is less about realism inside the jet but more as a compliment to the gameplay of those on the ground. Trying to give enough accuracy to be useful and realistic, without being able to be to autonomous that allowed the air units to clean up. This is from a mission designers perspective where it was always hard when trying to add the likes of the cobra etc into missions. You should be able to tab target your own laser target as a workaround for finding the lasers position on the ground if you have that enabled.

Secondly i have a small issue concerning the red SP marker on the map. For some reason it keeps "jumping" of the area where i have placed it. This is a problem when going inn for the kill, and you suddenly realize that the SP marker has changed to a new area without you knowing.

It could be if you view through the camera and a hill is between you and your original sp, the camera will move the sp to where it is centered on that hill. It is a limitation in how I have coded the camera.

Hi Blake, just a quick thanks for this addon, really enjoying the added functionality . . .

One query/oddity I have been experiencing : - I seem to loose some of the capablities of your addon when I use basic, side based triggers in game/editor. e.g. I climb into my A10, set the marker to my desired destination - green guide frame with distance to target etc appears & I can access the laser etc. Then I cross the trigger area (just a simple Bluefor present & text/music effect) - the guide frame immediately disappears & when I use camera although I can still view the target position I loose the targeting crosshairs etc.

If I drop a bomb at this stage I still get a hit, but no markers visible for impact area.

Only seems to affect my plane when BlueFor trigger is activated.

Using Vanilla OA, latest Offical patches. Any help appreciated.

*edit* All triggers having similar effect/Any trigger that calls the unit I'm playing

I imagine it has something to do with the text aspect of your triggers, they both use the same resources I believe. I'm not an expert on using these resources, just enough to display what is needed :P

I can try using cutRsc instead of titleRsc.

I'm not an expert on using these resources, just enough to display what is needed :P

I can try using cutRsc instead of titleRsc.

- sounds good (wish I knew even the basics, never mind expert), just relieved to know it's not just my imagination . .:cool:

Nice job so far !

It could be if you view through the camera and a hill is between you and your original sp, the camera will move the sp to where it is centered on that hill. It is a limitation in how I have coded the camera.

Confirmed.

As for the other issue, this is no "show stopper" and i will continue to use it in the maps im making.

I have made a training scenario for our clan which can be downloaded from here ( first post) http://www.nopryl.no/smfprod/index.php?topic=3890.msg45532#new

The map is for both air and ground players.

Requires: full ACE2/ACRE and Blakes PINS. Enjoy.

Updated

Download available in the first post.

Version 1.0

• Fixed missing { in the code contained in the fired event handler.
  • Changed setting SP to be from within an action menu.
  • Removed SP reset action menu, not required with the change above.
  • Resized the text in the camera view.
  • Removed firing range limits.

Note to change the SP position in the map now requires users to open the map specifically with the SET_SP action menu item. The map can then be closed normally via the standard map shortcut keys.

ACE users. As a temporary fix, I have altered the air friction and gravity values used to calculated the fall of unguided bombs to better "guess" where a bomb will land. This is how I was originally trying to mark the impact point of the mod. Not as accurate as the non ace version, which actually fires the bomb the the marked position, but should give more reasonable results for lower altitude mid speed range deliveries. A real solution would require altering the configs of the bombs to be like the vanilla bombs values from my limited investigations.

Edited by blakeace

First thing this mod is awesome, for some reason I prefer it to MMA (maybe it is because it works with anything ;)). Anyway, I did some changes myself so now all planes have laser and camera. I did that as LGB's are pretty much pointless in single player, with laser and camera you can explode enemy to kingdom come as you should.

I noticed few problems:

*this script is heavily affected by strain put on CPU by mission. More stuff = worse performance of PINS, to the point it is barely usable.

*script dosent work in multi

*also it dosent work in armory, with is a shame, as I like to dick around there

*script dosent work with CBU's added by ACE. CBU-87 bursts in air so this may be why there is no CCIP/CCRP method option for it,

*it may come as a surprise, but laser target is FLAMABLE. I have JTD fire and if you blow up something and it will burn, the laser target will catch fire, and will start new fire every time you move it and quit camera. Problem disappears one you turn off laser and turn it again. Man, arma can be weird at times :p.

Edited by Taro8

It works quite well in multi-player, actually. ;)

Found a bug with the newest version. If I have set an SP, but something else interrupts the dialog (like Reezos IED detector going off) then I lose the PINS.

EDIT: Following further play i have found that when PINS remains active (getting shot out of an aircraft) (there is a little circle with a cross it in top left of the screen) then no other dialogs will run (except hints). Going to have to go back to previous version :(

@Wings - I like it being active (the navigation part that is) in other aircraft/helos.

Edited by Kremator

It works quite well in multi-player, actually.

I think it depends on a mission, in simple ones PINS works, but when I tried something more complicated like Air assault, PINS didnt start (or maybe I didnt give it enough time).

I found another problem: I loaded F-35 with freefall and LGB bombs and LBG's do NOT use laser guidance, they are dropped in CCIP or CCRP mode (freefall bombs were first in weapon selection). By mistake I quit mission and then returned, I could turn on camera, but I couldnt move it and LGB's still didnt use guidance.

EDIT: Here is an idea: bomb cam for LGB's with ability to aim laser when looking through camera mounted in bomb.

EDIT2 : And another 2 ideas:

*ability to turn laser on adn off when looking through the camera

*level stabilizer action, with will keep plane level, but would allow using rudder

EDIT 3:

*Teamswitching stops whole script. I think this may be why it dosent work in armory and some MP maps.

*Sometimes it is possible to lock yourself in camera mode without possibilty to quit. I think this may be caused by switching zoom modes when script is wonky due to mission putting strain on CPU.

*after using camera and laser fo some time, the script breaks GLT Aircraft view distance script from working. Getting out and geting in again does NOT fix this.

Edited by Taro8

Blakeace, posible to integrate your script in mission?! Because some public servers dont use any mods, but if be posible integrate this in mission, that wold be great!!!

@Foxhound, Old Bear and SickBoy - Thankyou as always.

First thing this mod is awesome, for some reason I prefer it to MMA (maybe it is because it works with anything ;)). Anyway, I did some changes myself so now all planes have laser and camera. I did that as LGB's are pretty much pointless in single player, with laser and camera you can explode enemy to kingdom come as you should.

I noticed few problems:

*this script is heavily affected by strain put on CPU by mission. More stuff = worse performance of PINS, to the point it is barely usable.

*script dosent work in multi

*also it dosent work in armory, with is a shame, as I like to dick around there

*script dosent work with CBU's added by ACE. CBU-87 bursts in air so this may be why there is no CCIP/CCRP method option for it,

*it may come as a surprise, but laser target is FLAMABLE. I have JTD fire and if you blow up something and it will burn, the laser target will catch fire, and will start new fire every time you move it and quit camera. Problem disappears one you turn off laser and turn it again. Man, arma can be weird at times :p.

1. Not to much I can do there it is doing a lot all the time, I have already tweeked the timings, and the more breaks you put in the jerkier the overlay as a result. That said I get good results with both standard and ACE versions. Might be how many mods you have going? Also how well written or demanding the mission can mess things up too.

2. Works on my dedicated test server.

3. Only detects in vehicle at mission start or starts via the getin eventhandler.

4. ACE's CBU config has the laserlock attribute set to 1. This is how this mod determines whether a bomb is laser guided or not. So it see's them as laser guided bombs. I imagine there is something in ACE that requires them to be that way?

5. That's an issue with JTD fire. You need a laser target to aim your laser guided bomb at. I don't use this mod and don't get the star trek tachyon been effect :p I imagine the creator would need to filter the relevant object types that can burn more?

How do you stop this being active with other aircraft?

this setvariable ["BombingDisabled",true,true];

You can place this in an aircrafts init field to only allow the navigation aspect. There is no way to disable the nav stuff though.

Found a bug with the newest version. If I have set an SP, but something else interrupts the dialog (like Reezos IED detector going off) then I lose the PINS.

EDIT: Following further play i have found that when PINS remains active (getting shot out of an aircraft) (there is a little circle with a cross it in top left of the screen) then no other dialogs will run (except hints). Going to have to go back to previous version :(

The overlay stuff only has two layers that we all share afaik. This being the titleRsc and cutRsc. I have tried both at different times, decided to change it as the title version effects trigger text which uses the titleRsc layer. I have already included a reset menu item for the next version. Something I have kept meaning to do and never getting around to it :p Have now though :)

I think it depends on a mission, in simple ones PINS works, but when I tried something more complicated like Air assault, PINS didnt start (or maybe I didnt give it enough time).

I found another problem: I loaded F-35 with freefall and LGB bombs and LBG's do NOT use laser guidance, they are dropped in CCIP or CCRP mode (freefall bombs were first in weapon selection). By mistake I quit mission and then returned, I could turn on camera, but I couldnt move it and LGB's still didnt use guidance.

EDIT: Here is an idea: bomb cam for LGB's with ability to aim laser when looking through camera mounted in bomb.

EDIT2 : And another 2 ideas:

*ability to turn laser on adn off when looking through the camera

*level stabilizer action, with will keep plane level, but would allow using rudder

EDIT 3:

*Teamswitching stops whole script. I think this may be why it dosent work in armory and some MP maps.

*Sometimes it is possible to lock yourself in camera mode without possibilty to quit. I think this may be caused by switching zoom modes when script is wonky due to mission putting strain on CPU.

*after using camera and laser fo some time, the script breaks GLT Aircraft view distance script from working. Getting out and geting in again does NOT fix this.

Taro8 thanks for the feedback, it is always appreciated. You seem to be using many custom mods. A lot of times addon makers need to do things to create a result which in turn affects how their interact with other mods. One point for mine is how ACE has altered the unguided bomb configs which breaks how I have worked around to get my unguided aiming to work. Many times it is simply not possible to mix all mods. That said I am happy to hear of conflicts, but is doesn't mean I am able to get them working together or even find the time to test the many mod combos available. Generally I test with no other mods, and a little testing with ACE. What does help is stating what mods you are using because there are many, and some very similar to one another.

1. My guess it would be something similar to above where the mission uses the overlays which will cancel out the PINS usage. Will be able to reset in the next version. If a mission uses these a lot then there isn't much you can do afaik.

2. Most likely be something about the mod you are using to allow dynamic loadouts? This mod uses the current magazine and ammo configs to determine the bomb type. Not sure how your switching mod works to allow dynamic changes. There is possibly a good chance that how they are achieving this effects how they set their magazine configs? There are a lot of mods and addons, which there is no way to make something work with all of them unfortunately.

3. No idea sorry, I have never had the camera view stuck on? Try using the binocular toggle option. The hold breath is a hold over from some older code that I want to alter? The hold breath code is on my todo list.

4. I don't think I will be altering the cam stuff much, believe it or not I am trying to keep this as streamlined as possible :p

5. Will have a look at it, You can't use menu items in the camera view, arma limitation, so would have to be a shortcut key of some kind.

6. If you are refering to in camera mode, an arma limitiation is you lose all control input while using the camera. I have played around with my autopilot mod (not released to many things on the go already) which does induce an attitude hold. It would also increase the amount of overheads that are already an issue for you, the best way is to make sure you don't have any rotation of the aircraft as you enter camera mode else this rotation continues unseen while looking in the camera view.

7. No idea sorry, possibly check the GLT thread to see if there are issues with there mod and other mods that create cameras?

Blakeace, posible to integrate your script in mission?! Because some public servers dont use any mods, but if be posible integrate this in mission, that wold be great!!!

Sorry I won't be making a scripted version. This is always changing developing "FIXING" :p where using an addon allows easy development where it always stays current. Rather than many old redundant versions. Plus it also means I need to try and keep to similar but different codes working. Was a pain with my mirrors ee and modules versions :crazy:

Sorry I think that GLT view distance problem was caused by DAC.

Im using ACE EASA module for changing weapons on my planes, I also downloaded addon that adds GLT missiles to it. Still I cannot remember if there are planes in arma that would mix guided and unguided bombs in armament.

*Bomb cam was done in F-15 addon, it works with your mod as well.

*About level stabilizer: I think that solution is easier then you think. All you need to do is have a script that would zero pitch and bank every time player turns on camera. It would only need to be done once, so there is no continues hit on CPU. Throw in condition so such script wont turn on when flying upside down or on wing and you are set.

*I think that my problems with looking in in camera mode may be due to changing zoom while mission is heavy on CPU, with may cause script to lock up. I think that sort of "panic button" that quits camera would be nice.

BTW: About zoom: I have been trying to change zoom levels as currently zoom is to big. However I cant make head out of tails in FlirZoom.sqf. Maybe it is just me, but no matter the values I put, I just dont see any difference.

*Toggling laser via button would be great, as you wouldnt need to quit camera in order to choose action, it is very distracting.

*Could you put in another zoom level (or no zoom option?) in next version? It should be much lower zoom then "wide" to make observation and low level bombing easier. Also it would make manual camera changes easier.

Oh, that bit about "heat beam" was just a funny thing I noticed, with was worth mentioning for giggles :p.

Yes I do use a lot of addons, but this is what Arma is about ;). Still I think there is some value how you addon works in line with other mods. Especially something like ACE EASA or GLT missile box, with have great impact on planes.

BTW: You script also works in 2 seater aircrafts like F-15E or Tomcat. If pilot AI wasnt criminally retarded it would actually be pretty fun to be GIB :p.

Edited by Taro8

Sorry I think that GLT view distance problem was caused by DAC.

Im using ACE EASA module for changing weapons on my planes, I also downloaded addon that adds GLT missiles to it. Still I cannot remember if there are planes in arma that would mix guided and unguided bombs in armament.

*Bomb cam was done in F-15 addon, it works with your mod as well.

*About level stabilizer: I think that solution is easier then you think. All you need to do is have a script that would zero pitch and bank every time player turns on camera. It would only need to be done once, so there is no continues hit on CPU. Throw in condition so such script wont turn on when flying upside down or on wing and you are set.

*I think that my problems with looking in in camera mode may be due to changing zoom while mission is heavy on CPU, with may cause script to lock up. I think that sort of "panic button" that quits camera would be nice.

BTW: About zoom: I have been trying to change zoom levels as currently zoom is to big. However I cant make head out of tails in FlirZoom.sqf. Maybe it is just me, but no matter the values I put, I just dont see any difference.

*Toggling laser via button would be great, as you wouldnt need to quit camera in order to choose action, it is very distracting.

*Could you put in another zoom level (or no zoom option?) in next version? It should be much lower zoom then "wide" to make observation and low level bombing easier. Also it would make manual camera changes easier.

Oh, that bit about "heat beam" was just a funny thing I noticed, with was worth mentioning for giggles :p.

Yes I do use a lot of addons, but this is what Arma is about ;). Still I think there is some value how you addon works in line with other mods. Especially something like ACE EASA or GLT missile box, with have great impact on planes.

BTW: You script also works in 2 seater aircrafts like F-15E or Tomcat. If pilot AI wasnt criminally retarded it would actually be pretty fun to be GIB :p.

1. I imagine they have altered the values which is the only way I have found so far to determine the type of weapon that is current. Like the CBU example previously. At this stage there is little I can do to get around this.

2. You could try that yourself, the

_Plane_object_name getvariable "FLIR";

is set to "ON" where in camera mode and "OFF" when not. Personally I am many times climbing etc while using the camera and just want to maintain the current attitude. I either settle the plane or if using it, use my autpilot when testing.

3. Try the binoculars toggle on toggle off option should have a better response in CPU stressed moments as it uses CBA key eventhandlers. The hold breath is less responsive, but allows the programming of a joystick from within arma. CBA keys only registers keyboard input, but should respond to an external programable joystick button set the same way, though not tested.

4. The FlirZoom.sqf was added in response to poor feedback in reading the zoomin and out with trying to allow as above being able to program joysticks from within arma. I added a menu option as a way of getting around being stuck. Look for similar looking code in the FLIR.sqf script. That is where the changes are done, FlirZoom.sqf is the code that is run if you press the action menu option. Which is almost redundant now, and will prob soon get deleted as the CBA key handler allows pressing the actual keyboard keys button which is very reliable, hence why I suggested the binos option above as well :)

5. Will try and have a look at the zooms, just not sure when I want to try and get a quick small version out soon that allows for the resetting of the HUD.

6. I imagine it was a very WTF moment followed by frying as many infantry as possible after :p

7. Problem is in how to id what munitions is what type when addon makers need to alter config values to get their mods to function. Making compatibilty hard. At this stage I haven't found another reliable way to get around this.

8. Agree :)

Thanks again for your feedback

Blake

Updated

See first post for new download.

Version 1.01

• Added Toggle laser off and on while in camera view. LookCenter key Default NUM5.
  • Added Reset menu item to action menu if overlay disappears. Requires user to hold zoom out key to make visable.
  • Changed Hud Colour/Display options to require user to hold down the zoom out key. Help declutter action menu.
  • Removed Zoom action menu, not required with using CBA key handlers.
  • Fixed syntax error that prevented a CBA key eventhandler from being removed.
  • Tweeked some of the routines to try and reduce mods overall impact slightly.
  • Added a config modification to help resolve ACE unguided bomb issues. (Seperate PBO found in the ACE_Bomb_fix_beta folder in the download).

Note: The ACE config changes PBO is only required if using ACE. From my limited testing it seems to help the situation with unguided bombs. It also changes the cluster bombs to show the aiming pipper for them. At higher levels the cluster munitions will fall short. Best employed at low level or dive bombing. Hopefully my changes don't impact on any other ACE functionality. Hence the beta label :p