Sign in to follow this  
blakeace

Blake's PINS (Pseudo Inertial Navigation System) and Bombing

Thanks for the feedback Jumpartist, I haven't looked at that code in quite a while so not quite sure what is happening?

So you get the image but it is not fixed or following the point that the pilot is looking at?

The pilot had selected to broadcast his feed by the action menu I presume?

I'll have a look at it and see if anything jumps out at me.

Edit: I had a quick look this morning, added a hint to show what the feed is broadcasting from the plane, that data seems ok. I ran my little test mission which only emulates the information being broadcat from the plane and that seems ok. I'll have to see if I can hit somebody up to have a look at it in mp.

Are you running any mods?

ERM. I didnt have the Pilot broadcast only the rover pick up the "link". So there is an action that the pilot can use..OK Ill try again. BTW this is SHIT HOT man!!!!! Oh and Im am not running any mods except CBA

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

HOLY crap it works man!!! two things though. Is it possible to us "B" to stay in the rover feed. And for some reason the tgt pod view gets all jiterry when you try to move the camera with the mouse. Other than that man, this is going to add so much to the Realism community!! This ranks up there with ACRE man!! Awesome job.

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 ----------

OK so my unit wants to use this, but it has to be either A. be incorperated into ACE. or B. be available through six updater. How can I help make either of those things happen? we REALLY want this to be in our missions. Is there a way to make ti so both the camera and the IR are automatically started when just activating the mod? That is, not have to put in the lines of code into the INIT. that would make it alot easier to incorperate on a large scale. Thanks for your mork man its really great! I CAN WAIT TO see what you do in A3, with render to texture!

Edited by jumpartist

ERM. I didnt have the Pilot broadcast only the rover pick up the "link". So there is an action that the pilot can use..OK Ill try again. BTW this is SHIT HOT man!!!!! Oh and Im am not running any mods except CBA

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

Some action options can be easily missed sorry. Though I do things like only visible whilst a certain key is held to try and minimise the number of actions cluttering the list. Making less critical actions invisible for the majority of the time.

[/color]HOLY crap it works man!!! two things though. Is it possible to us "B" to stay in the rover feed. And for some reason the tgt pod view gets all jiterry when you try to move the camera with the mouse. Other than that man, this is going to add so much to the Realism community!! This ranks up there with ACRE man!! Awesome job.

---------- Post added at 09:13 ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 ----------

I'm not sure by stay in the rover feed? Do you mean rather than holding the hold breath key to be in the view, have it toggle on and off? If so anything is possible, I set it up this way thinking a JTAC would be constantly needing to switch between the pod view and his view to complete the situational picture required to guide the pilot onto a target if that makes sense.

I think the jittery movement is due compromising between movement using keys and the mouse options, though it has been a while since I look at this bit of code.

OK so my unit wants to use this, but it has to be either A. be incorperated into ACE. or B. be available through six updater. How can I help make either of those things happen? we REALLY want this to be in our missions. Is there a way to make ti so both the camera and the IR are automatically started when just activating the mod? That is, not have to put in the lines of code into the INIT. that would make it alot easier to incorperate on a large scale. Thanks for your mork man its really great! I CAN WAIT TO see what you do in A3, with render to texture!

The mod is available on sixupdater, but I just checked and noticed six isn't hosting the latest version that contains the rover terminal. I'll contact Sickboy and get it updated to the latest version.

I setup where you add functionality to different aircraft using variables for a few reasons. One I haven't got the time to try and find the best location for the cameras relative position on every aircraft and even then there are all the other aircraft that users create as well. Plus some mission designers may want a mixture of aircraft types in the one mission. So there isn't really a generic way to just add it to all aircraft that I have been able to think of anyway.

I'm glad you like it, and thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback on it.

Edited by blakeace

We're you ever able to get it where aircraft with a gunner (F/A-18, F-15, Su-24, Su-34 etc etc) are able to use the CCIP/CCRP, cuz even when I select manual fire, it still won't show your "pipper" and am not able to drop dumb bombs with relatively decent accuracy

We're you ever able to get it where aircraft with a gunner (F/A-18, F-15, Su-24, Su-34 etc etc) are able to use the CCIP/CCRP, cuz even when I select manual fire, it still won't show your "pipper" and am not able to drop dumb bombs with relatively decent accuracy

I haven't figured that one out yet sorry, my time has been a little limited of late.

Some action options can be easily missed sorry. Though I do things like only visible whilst a certain key is held to try and minimise the number of actions cluttering the list. Making less critical actions invisible for the majority of the time.

I'm not sure by stay in the rover feed? Do you mean rather than holding the hold breath key to be in the view, have it toggle on and off? If so anything is possible, I set it up this way thinking a JTAC would be constantly needing to switch between the pod view and his view to complete the situational picture required to guide the pilot onto a target if that makes sense.

I think the jittery movement is due compromising between movement using keys and the mouse options, though it has been a while since I look at this bit of code.

The mod is available on sixupdater, but I just checked and noticed six isn't hosting the latest version that contains the rover terminal. I'll contact Sickboy and get it updated to the latest version.

I setup where you add functionality to different aircraft using variables for a few reasons. One I haven't got the time to try and find the best location for the cameras relative position on every aircraft and even then there are all the other aircraft that users create as well. Plus some mission designers may want a mixture of aircraft types in the one mission. So there isn't really a generic way to just add it to all aircraft that I have been able to think of anyway.

I'm glad you like it, and thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback on it.

We have noticed during playing with the rover function. That we were viewing the screen for long periods of time while we watched an aircraft scan a villiage. Resulting in very tired right mouse button fingers.. Also it was more difficult to talk on the radio with ACRE while holding down the right mouse button giving talkons to the aircraft. A toggle for the Rover screen would help immensly! This has really added alot of useability of fixed wing in our missions! Have to broached the subject of ACE integration directly into the ACE mod? Im suprised that they havent done something like this eariler, as they are the "leader" of realism. in the ArmA community.

We have noticed during playing with the rover function. That we were viewing the screen for long periods of time while we watched an aircraft scan a villiage. Resulting in very tired right mouse button fingers.. Also it was more difficult to talk on the radio with ACRE while holding down the right mouse button giving talkons to the aircraft. A toggle for the Rover screen would help immensly! This has really added alot of useability of fixed wing in our missions! Have to broached the subject of ACE integration directly into the ACE mod? Im suprised that they havent done something like this eariler, as they are the "leader" of realism. in the ArmA community.

I'll have a look at it to see about altering it to a toggle. No I haven't talked to the ACE crowd.

I'll have a look at it to see about altering it to a toggle. No I haven't talked to the ACE crowd.

cOOL TY!! When you talk to Sickboy, maybe ask him about ACE integration? they need this BADLY. Also, seems that the Jitter only happens in an MP session. Not sure if it would happen in a dedi, but a Local it jitters. and the farther you move the mouse (or keys set to look directions) worse the jitter gets. I don't ever remember that happening so it must be induced by the latest version of the ARMA. in fact ill test it without ARMA OA beta just in case.

ALSO, have you worked on a UAV version of this addon? I know looking a t feed and remotely flying are two completely different things, but this would be an AMAZING setup for the MQ-9. If you could some how create a remote fly scrpit and use PINS while in that remote fly script, I really think it would be the best UAV solution to date.

---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Tested and the jitter is there with the beta. Any time the server gets laggy the tgt pod gets very laggy as well.

cOOL TY!! When you talk to Sickboy, maybe ask him about ACE integration? they need this BADLY. Also, seems that the Jitter only happens in an MP session. Not sure if it would happen in a dedi, but a Local it jitters. and the farther you move the mouse (or keys set to look directions) worse the jitter gets. I don't ever remember that happening so it must be induced by the latest version of the ARMA. in fact ill test it without ARMA OA beta just in case.

I've changed the mechanism for viewing to toggling the zoomin key on and off, that seems to be just as easy, just tweeking a couple of things and testing.

Jitter, is that the camera view, or just the overlayed graphics? I know with my PRADAR addon every since Arma patch 1.62 the graphics pause and under a certain combo of advanced video settings they would be all jumbled and in the wrong place. Since the patch I have been slowly experimenting between ZSU MP missions trying to isolate the problem to no avail. I know disabling ATOC and PPAA setting helped my pausing to a certain degree.

Part of the tweeking and testing atm is more trying to minimise the jumping.

Re ACE it is probably more appropriate to pose what their direction and development is in their thread. Another possibilty which also better supports the smaller Mod developers in Arma is using Sixupdater to host your own custom repositories. I know our server admin is currently trying to set that up for us. It will allow use more flexibility in maintaining our custom mods.

ALSO, have you worked on a UAV version of this addon? I know looking a t feed and remotely flying are two completely different things, but this would be an AMAZING setup for the MQ-9. If you could some how create a remote fly scrpit and use PINS while in that remote fly script, I really think it would be the best UAV solution to date.

---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:15 ----------

Tested and the jitter is there with the beta. Any time the server gets laggy the tgt pod gets very laggy as well.

I have, but it would take a bit of time to get that extra functionality into the the mod. As a side note the camera development actually started out as a UAV mod as I hated the nauseating effect of the default UAV module camera, plus the way it automatically labelled all groups gave to much away.

If you are looking at a UAV like system have you tried Feint & Baraka's Raven mod? That is quite epic and is quite mature in it's development now. I've only played around with it in the editor but really like it.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?134031-RQ-11-Raven-A&highlight=raven

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16723

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=news&id=5784

I've changed the mechanism for viewing to toggling the zoomin key on and off, that seems to be just as easy, just tweeking a couple of things and testing.

Jitter, is that the camera view, or just the overlayed graphics? I know with my PRADAR addon every since Arma patch 1.62 the graphics pause and under a certain combo of advanced video settings they would be all jumbled and in the wrong place. Since the patch I have been slowly experimenting between ZSU MP missions trying to isolate the problem to no avail. I know disabling ATOC and PPAA setting helped my pausing to a certain degree.

Part of the tweeking and testing atm is more trying to minimise the jumping.

Re ACE it is probably more appropriate to pose what their direction and development is in their thread. Another possibilty which also better supports the smaller Mod developers in Arma is using Sixupdater to host your own custom repositories. I know our server admin is currently trying to set that up for us. It will allow use more flexibility in maintaining our custom mods.

I have, but it would take a bit of time to get that extra functionality into the the mod. As a side note the camera development actually started out as a UAV mod as I hated the nauseating effect of the default UAV module camera, plus the way it automatically labelled all groups gave to much away.

If you are looking at a UAV like system have you tried Feint & Baraka's Raven mod? That is quite epic and is quite mature in it's development now. I've only played around with it in the editor but really like it.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?134031-RQ-11-Raven-A&highlight=raven

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16723

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=news&id=5784

I have tinkered with the raven mod, but TBH, I enjoy a weaponized pred for kinetic type engagements. BTW could you post when PINS gets updated on SIX thats all we are waiting for to integrate it into our mod pack.

I have tinkered with the raven mod, but TBH, I enjoy a weaponized pred for kinetic type engagements. BTW could you post when PINS gets updated on SIX thats all we are waiting for to integrate it into our mod pack.

Sickboy has updated the version on Six to the current version you are testing. Sorry I forgot to mention it, been quite a busy time atm. I'm hoping to get out the new version with the toggle option and some minor tweaks out over the weekend barring RL getting in the way :P

Sickboy has updated the version on Six to the current version you are testing. Sorry I forgot to mention it, been quite a busy time atm. I'm hoping to get out the new version with the toggle option and some minor tweaks out over the weekend barring RL getting in the way :P

Ah yes I saw that the folders are seperated with "optional" mods. I had to explain that to my unit. Is there anyway to integrate them all into the "addons" folder for ease of use? maybe make an ACE version (for the bomb fix, and possible moveable rover terminal)

From their use of both PINS and ROVER. they ahve a few suggestions.

1st, is either have the rover terminal be loadable into a vehicle, I beleive ACE has a system for this. or what I think would be better is the UAV back pack, so it can be used on the go. "However that would take up the place of the back pack 117 radio for ACRE, which is undesireable". So just making the rover laptop moveable would be the best way to do it.

2nd, They hope it can be toggleable, (already covered by you)

3rd, is there a way to while in the ROVER can it mute the engine sound of the plane? maybe mute the in game sound while your looking at that screen?

4th, is there a way to separate the CCIP CCRP modes into a stock version and leave them out for an ACE version? I have come across some problems visually, they both seem to get in the way of eachother. And ACE's seems to be very integrated into their mod. But man are they far behind you in the tgt pod and rover mods.

Edited by jumpartist

Ah yes I saw that the folders are seperated with "optional" mods. I had to explain that to my unit. Is there anyway to integrate them all into the "addons" folder for ease of use? maybe make an ACE version (for the bomb fix, and possible moveable rover terminal)

From their use of both PINS and ROVER. they ahve a few suggestions.

1st, is either have the rover terminal be loadable into a vehicle, I beleive ACE has a system for this. or what I think would be better is the UAV back pack, so it can be used on the go. "However that would take up the place of the back pack 117 radio for ACRE, which is undesireable". So just making the rover laptop moveable would be the best way to do it.

2nd, They hope it can be toggleable, (already covered by you)

3rd, is there a way to while in the ROVER can it mute the engine sound of the plane? maybe mute the in game sound while your looking at that screen?

I had the terminal as optional as I didn't know if it even worked. Now that it is known to work I'll add it to load as standard.

I don't know how or if it is possible to create/alter certain classes of objects dependant on if a certain addon is included. That is why I have the ace pbo changes as optional. If they were included as standard whenever you run arma without ace it causes an error dialog to appear.

1. I would need to think about some way to make it usable whilst in a vehicle, but should be possible. You are able to pack up the terminal and carry it already. To enable the action menu option make sure you are close to the terminal then hold down the zoomout key (default NUM -) That will display a stow terminal action. Once stowed hold the zoomout key and use that action menu to deploy the terminal. If you die, the terminal will appear near the body of the person carrying it. I do it this way to prevent the action menu becoming to cluttered.

2. Done just testing.

3. I have also already added code to stop the jet sounds in the next update :)

I had the terminal as optional as I didn't know if it even worked. Now that it is known to work I'll add it to load as standard.

I don't know how or if it is possible to create/alter certain classes of objects dependant on if a certain addon is included. That is why I have the ace pbo changes as optional. If they were included as standard whenever you run arma without ace it causes an error dialog to appear.

1. I would need to think about some way to make it usable whilst in a vehicle, but should be possible. You are able to pack up the terminal and carry it already. To enable the action menu option make sure you are close to the terminal then hold down the zoomout key (default NUM -) That will display a stow terminal action. Once stowed hold the zoomout key and use that action menu to deploy the terminal. If you die, the terminal will appear near the body of the person carrying it. I do it this way to prevent the action menu becoming to cluttered.

2. Done just testing.

3. I have also already added code to stop the jet sounds in the next update :)

Ah thats great news on those features. As far as the addons are concerned, I was hoping that we could get an ACE version and a Stock version. that way we can add the proper version to a SIX preset and not have to worry about swapping around files in folders.

Id also like to report a bug I and a friend have come across.

Sometimes when you come out of the camera and you had switched to IR, the regular view is now stuck in IR. And you cannot correct it until you die and respawn.

Cant wait to see the new version. Also I know this is nit picky but generally the views of the camera are called (in order) ULTW (thats ultra wide), WIDE, MED (medium), NAR (Narrow), ULTN (Ultra Narrow), 2X, 4x

I know you have a different scheme, but that is what they are called, (at least in the UAV world). So you may wanna keep yours.

Updated Version 1.03

Available in the first post.

Version 1.03

[*]Minor changes to the rover terminal and have included the pbo by default.

[*]Changed: Rover terminal FEED view now selected by toggling the zoomin key NUM+ by default.

[*]Removed sound when viewing rover feed.

[*]Added code to hopefully prevent the locked thermal view issue.

Ah thats great news on those features. As far as the addons are concerned, I was hoping that we could get an ACE version and a Stock version. that way we can add the proper version to a SIX preset and not have to worry about swapping around files in folders.

Id also like to report a bug I and a friend have come across.

Sometimes when you come out of the camera and you had switched to IR, the regular view is now stuck in IR. And you cannot correct it until you die and respawn.

Cant wait to see the new version. Also I know this is nit picky but generally the views of the camera are called (in order) ULTW (thats ultra wide), WIDE, MED (medium), NAR (Narrow), ULTN (Ultra Narrow), 2X, 4x

I know you have a different scheme, but that is what they are called, (at least in the UAV world). So you may wanna keep yours.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I have no issue with how the levels of zoom are named, choices were arbitrary selected at during coding. I'll have a look when I get some more time.

Blakeace,

Did some testing on local server with client.

No problems with:

F16, F14, A10A, AH64, good rover down links from all of them using - this setvariable ["FLIRloc", [3.4,0.9,-1.1],true];

GBU12 release parameters are guessable using SP and guided well with - this setvariable ["Laser", true,true]; and O key.

Unfortunately because they have no turrets in the config I guess MQ-9 and MQ-8 did not work, shame as I have a GBU12 equipped MQ-9 somewhere.

ROVER

Similar success and fails as above. The pointers above ref zoom levels would help, just a repeat of what the pilot selections are.

SUGGESTION

CCRP for the GBU12 to complement the above would be awesome. A vertical tape relevant in range to the SP point, with a carrot that slides down as you get closer. Two markers on that tape denoting the release basket would be ideal. This is on the POD video rather than HUD, allowing alignment and release from either seat in dual seat aircraft.

Picture probably would have saved a thousand words there, I can draw one up from a typical mil standard HUD if you need it.

I can try a dedicated server test sometime this week.

Thanks Old Bear, Foxhound and Sickboy.

Blakeace,

Did some testing on local server with client.

No problems with:

F16, F14, A10A, AH64, good rover down links from all of them using - this setvariable ["FLIRloc", [3.4,0.9,-1.1],true];

GBU12 release parameters are guessable using SP and guided well with - this setvariable ["Laser", true,true]; and O key.

Unfortunately because they have no turrets in the config I guess MQ-9 and MQ-8 did not work, shame as I have a GBU12 equipped MQ-9 somewhere.

ROVER

Similar success and fails as above. The pointers above ref zoom levels would help, just a repeat of what the pilot selections are.

SUGGESTION

CCRP for the GBU12 to complement the above would be awesome. A vertical tape relevant in range to the SP point, with a carrot that slides down as you get closer. Two markers on that tape denoting the release basket would be ideal. This is on the POD video rather than HUD, allowing alignment and release from either seat in dual seat aircraft.

Picture probably would have saved a thousand words there, I can draw one up from a typical mil standard HUD if you need it.

I can try a dedicated server test sometime this week.

Cheers mate for the feedback, not sure what it is with the UAv's etc but they don't like you to be able to create a camera off them. I was disappointed because I was hoping to be able to combine this and my autopilot addon to make a nice UAV controller setup!

Re CCRP for the GBU12, I agree, just need to find the energy to rewrite that part of the addon. To allow the unguided functionality for the laser stuff. Even more involved to translate it to the pod view. Will have a think about if and how that could be achieved.

Hey there BlakeAce have you been working on this in Take on As well? with that new patch and render to texture, wellthe possibilities are making me drool........:)"0

Hey there BlakeAce have you been working on this in Take on As well? with that new patch and render to texture, wellthe possibilities are making me drool........:)"0

Would be nice, but not at this stage. I really only know how to render camera views atm. So all the overlay information wouldn't be there. Which is one reason I haven't gone down that route at this stage. The other is time which there never is enough of unfortunately.

hey Blake Im having a problem where the scroll menu items are duplicating themselves, it happens with both the Autopilot and PINS addons, Im using ACE, if that matters.

Hi Blake, im getting the same issue as Jumpartist these days, also playing with ACE but did that for a long time and the bug is only quite recent.

Sjaba...