Sign in to follow this  
eggbeast

precisionEnemy in 1.60

Damn, game is currently broken in COOP (we play that 90% of the time) and we'll probably get a million beta releases (that I and my squad don't use - too much hassle) before we see another official patch? :/
Still not using Six Updater I see, "too much hassle" for mods in MP (including expansion/beta) is a thing of the past for quite a while already :D

Setup once, enjoy 'forever'; http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater+CustomRepos_Setup

I assume you're also still manually distributing your test versions of your mods, asking all your squad members to manually install the updates etc... That's really time and effort wasting of the past, if you'd use SU.

Anyway, how about a repro mission, incl the server's arma2oaprofile file for skill settings etc. https://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki/CIT#How-to-report-a-bug

Have you tried setting the skill in the arma2oaprofile to say 0.5? What about the skill of units in the mission?

Do you have super AI enabled? Need to disable it.

Last resort perhaps - use AI mods like Robalo's - afaik they have lower accuracy or at least easier to configure.

Edited by Sickboy

good work guys - keep it coming - vital we request aid from BIS here.

meanwhile we're having some success. In our init for the mission we set skill at (1+random2)/10 then when we spawn enemy we add on 0.1,0.20.30.4 or 0.5 depending on their type - with 0.1 for woodsmen and 0.5 for specops etc, so average enemy is now setskill 0.25+0.25=0.5. this is harder than we had it at 0.2 but we're coping.

however i now have to edit all 30 evolution missions to rework the skill.

have not yet got as far as trying

aimingAccuracy

endurance

spotDistance

courage

commanding

as was mainly trying to get a playable server back online for my clan!!

still not ideal cos we like good tactics from enemy without aimbot precision

basically, BIS has made an error making the precision default so high in the new patch...

@EggBeast; perhaps use a XEH enabled addon that sets the skill on Init or InitPost events for all units?

Some examples;

http://browser.dev-heaven.net/configclasses/config/Extended_Init_EventHandlers

http://browser.dev-heaven.net/configclasses/config/Extended_InitPost_EventHandlers

Such can also be used (e.g include from external file) from mission description.ext - if you prefer not to create an addon.

basically, BIS has made an error making the precision default so high in the new patch...
But the skill balance was also fixed/improved - so im wondering, are the AI actually retarded at Skill of 0.2 - 0.7 now?

Also see second half of my other post; http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2090348#post2090348

You can tweak the general server's skill setting in the arma2oaprofile of the server.

---------- Post added at 09:02 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

Made a new ticket that is hopefully more clear about the importance of the issue:

Feature #27851: Bring back userfriendly ingame AI precision setting slider in the settings GUI

Nice one

Edited by Sickboy

@sickboy

not sure how to d othe XEH thing, but click the spoiler in my first post and you'll see i explained the profile use from the start

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2081004&postcount=1

so we're on the same page there.

the thing is, we set it to 0.1-3 basic then add on an amount for type of soldier and it works ok, but like you say above, and like many have said, the alignment of say 0.2 precision to 1.0 skill in our old configs is broken and the new alignment e.g. is it [0.1 skill ------ 0.1 precisoin ] up to [1.0 skill ---- 1.0 precision]? if so could BIS change it to say

0.1 skill --- 0.1 precision

0.2 skill --- 0.1 precision

0.3 skill --- 0.2 precision

0.4 skill --- 0.2 precision

0.5 skill --- 0.3 precision

0.6 skill --- 0.3 precision

0.7 skill --- 0.4 precision

0.8 skill --- 0.6 precision

0.9 skill --- 0.8 precision

1.0 skill --- 1.0 precision

see this would be quite effective i think - they have the balance all wrong at present.

I can confirm that using ASR_Ai serverside to change the accuracy works. Quite well in comparison to what zeus used to do.

so we're on the same page there.

the thing is, we set it to 0.1-3 basic then add on an amount for type of soldier and it works ok, but like you say above, and like many have said, the alignment of say 0.2 precision to 1.0 skill in our old configs is broken and the new alignment e.g. is it [0.1 skill ------ 0.1 precisoin ] up to [1.0 skill ---- 1.0 precision]? if so could BIS change it to say

0.1 skill --- 0.1 precision

0.2 skill --- 0.1 precision

0.3 skill --- 0.2 precision

0.4 skill --- 0.2 precision

0.5 skill --- 0.3 precision

0.6 skill --- 0.3 precision

0.7 skill --- 0.4 precision

0.8 skill --- 0.6 precision

0.9 skill --- 0.8 precision

1.0 skill --- 1.0 precision

see this would be quite effective i think - they have the balance all wrong at present.

Apparently thats what they changed it to.

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27851

Note: Currently, the precision is derived from a skill as follows:

precision = skill*1.8-0.8

The result is clamped into 0.1 ... 1.0 range.

(The "skill" here is the combined skill which is a result of a unit skill as given in the editor and the skill given in the difficulty settings.)

Precision affects AI abilities aimingAccuracy and aimingShake, all other abililities (including aimingSpeed) are affected by a skill (see http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setSkill_array)

Voted. This issue alone makes the game unplayable for my team now.

Sorry for being a bit dense but does this mean that manually changing the precision values in *.ArmA2OAProfile no longer are effective?

/KC

Sorry for being a bit dense but does this mean that manually changing the precision values in *.ArmA2OAProfile no longer are effective?

/KC

;) That's what it means yes.

---------- Post added at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Voted. This issue alone makes the game unplayable for my team now.
Setting the arma2oaprofile skill to 0.3 or so does not yield workable results? Edited by Sickboy

Thanks for clarifying Sickboy and then I must say it's a step back IMO. I prefer to have it as before (with/without GUI-sliders) to be able to finetune myself.

/KC

Thanks for clarifying Sickboy and then I must say it's a step back IMO. I prefer to have it as before (with/without GUI-sliders) to be able to finetune myself.

/KC

Sure mate. Voice your opinion 'n vote https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27851

suma says

well if you work this out for the range of values of skill 0.1 to 1.0 in 0.1 increments it makes NO SENSE

(skill) precision would be approx.

(0.1) -0.62

(0.2) -0.44

(0.3) -0.26

(0.4) -0.08

(0.5) +0.1

(0.6) +0.28

(0.7) +0.44

(0.8) +0.64

(0.9) +0.82

(1.0) +1.0

that cannot be right???

suma says

well if you work this out for the range of values of skill 0.1 to 1.0 in 0.1 increments it makes NO SENSE

(skill) precision would be approx.

(0.1) -0.62

(0.2) -0.44

(0.3) -0.26

(0.4) -0.08

(0.5) +0.1

(0.6) +0.28

(0.7) +0.44

(0.8) +0.64

(0.9) +0.82

(1.0) +1.0

that cannot be right???

You forgot the

The result is clamped into 0.1 ... 1.0 range.

part.

Voted for this bad boy as well.

My Server Team Coop is done until we sort out this skill issue in an easy to understand format for gamers, not ace programers like most of you guys.

(HA ACE as in good, not ACE as in awesome addition the only way I will play ARMA OA UBER MOD).

I have total faith this will be fixed. Been around too long to not recognize how BIS is and reacts to the community. Best developers there is. Hands down IMHO.

Styxx42

You forgot the clamped into range part.

this means that BIS have used an

if then 

format rather than just a straight mapping like

a=b*c-d 

so they could easily amend the mapping to something like my proposal.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2090572&postcount=54

if the clamping means that anything <0.1 is clamped to 0.1 then the values for precision are much less flexible than they were, e.g. setskill 0.1 to 0.5 will yield the same precision. (we need to test that this is true). I suppose they may have set it to

if <0 then 0.1+(0.5*-(skill))

but unlessthey tell us what they have done in clear terms we will not be able to test this properly...

given the likely setting of precision to 0.1 at all skills below 0.5 and the godlike precision at precision 0.4 and above, server admins/ mission designers will only really be able to setskill at a max of about 0.7 with a suspected concomitant loss in AI behaviour.

so we would probably tweak our profiles to this:

novice

skillenemy 0.5 (precision 0.1)

regular

skillenemy 0.6 (precision 0.28)

veteran

skillenemy 0.7 (precision 0.44)

expert

skillenemy 0.8 (precision 0.64)

this is a serious loss of range of skill for the AI (there isnt much point playing in the range 0.1-0.5 and 0.9-1.0 any more) BECAUSE the default precision slider is too unresponsive...

but we need to know the exact formula to recalibrate our servers...

Edited by eggbeast

Why would they break something that was one of the most important features for cooperative gameplay is beyond any human in this planet besides the one who's single-handedly implemented it. :(

I also voted on the hope that Armed Assault will become playable once again. :(

Currently, it's human-player cannon fodder mess. :butbut:

BIS took the quote "when you see the flash its too late" too seriously ;) no trained man is able to spot enemy, aim in split second and put a bullet in a center mass with such accuracy (weapon specs don't even matter) as regular AI infantry now can :)

On the other hand, an eighty year old parapalegic with arthritis couldn't possibly take as long to aim as most AI soldiers in CQB. So we've got a whole spectrum here.

this is how we are coping:

init

skillfactor = ((1 + random 2)/10);

then we call evo_fillinf to spawn enemy (based on arrays in the init)

_r = (round random 4)+1;

_allunits = EGG_EVO_east10;

switch (_r) do

{

case 1: //rebels low skill

{

_allunits = EGG_EVO_east5;

};

case 2: //insurgents fair skill

{

_allunits = EGG_EVO_east4;

};

case 3: //soldiers medium skill

{

_allunits = EGG_EVO_east1;

};

case 4: // MVD good skill

{

_allunits = EGG_EVO_east2;

};

case 5: // spetsnaz excellent skill

{

_allunits = EGG_EVO_east3;

};

};

_grpskill = skillfactor+(_r/16);

_max = (count _allunits)-1;

_infcount = 11;

_j = 0;

while {_j <= _infcount} do

{

_nunit = (_allunits select (round random _max));

_unit = _grp createUnit [_nunit, _lpos, [], 0, "FORM"];

_unit setSkill _grpskill;

_unit addEventHandler ["killed", {handle = [_this select 0,"INF"] execVM "data\scripts\mobjbury.sqf"}];

[_unit] join _grp;

_j = _j+1;

sleep 1;

};

[_grp] call BIS_EVO_OrderSquad;

};

so skill is set at (1+(random 2)/10) + ((1 to 5)/16)

so range is 1.06 to 8 with soldier class the primary factor determining skill

it plays well enough, BUT we would prefer the base tactics not to fall below 0.6, so the issue stands

Just saw the first request for the return of the precision setting was rejected about 14 days ago on the basis that it was counter-design.

Now there's a new definition for game design. It means breaking perfectly functional features in the strive for simplification. :j:

How is this anything other than supremely dumb? :raisebrow: