eggbeast

GITS Evolution (new main thread)

understood, eggbeast...no problem i wasn't sure how much work it was to do so it didnt hurt to ask, heh:-)

btw - can you explain to me what's up with the "extraction" support request?...instead of sending an extraction heli to pick me up it just spawns me as a para jumper in the middle of the map and I dont understand how to move the HALO marker closer to where id like to para from.

Simply - you get EXTRACTED from your situation... easiest way is via HALO respawn. Sure it would be nice to have an honest to goodness rescue chopper but I'm not sure how that would work in MP.

Sure it would be nice to have an honest to goodness rescue chopper but I'm not sure how that would work in MP.

Air Support

by Draper

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8337

in the init script for the mission just set it up for heli transport only, like this:

ASfirstrun = true;
nul = [m1,"trans"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit.sqf";

m1 is the name of the solder (can be any name) trans is transport

this is the default code:

ASfirstrun = true;
nul = [m1,"jadam","lgb","cbuap","cbuat","cbumine","cas","helo","trans"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit.sqf";
if(true)exitWith{};

you can call the following via action menu:

planes menu:

jadam- fighter planes drops a jdam

lgb -fighter plane drops a lgb

cbuap-fighter plane drops a cbuap -(antipersonnel bomb lets)

cbuat-fighter plane drops a cbuat -(antiarmor/vehicle bomb lets)

cbumine- fighter planes drops a cbumine -(drops like a cbu and spreads mines all over)

cas -A-10 flies in and engages any target it sees

helicopter menu

helo -you can call attack chopper- 2 ahd64 will fly to the area you want them to and engage anything they see

trans - An blackhawk will come and pick you up via mapclick, and drop you off via map click

action menu will have text that says:

Air Support

you click on that

then 3 options open in the menu:

call fixed wing

call choppers

exit menu

when you pick fixed wing you get the above list

when you pick call choppers you get attack and transport.

As said above you can indicate if you only want transport, when you call it a text will come onto the screen asking for an lz, so you go to your map,

click where you want the chopper to land and pick u up, then it will ask u after you do that where the 2nd lz will be, you go to the map and choose,

and then get out of the map and the chopper will be spawned at a market you place anywhere on the map, and a chopper will come and pick you up.

Once you get on the chopper, in your action menu a command will be list, it will say pilot good to go, basically when

you and your would be squad get on the chopper, you give the pilot the ok to take off, once you get to your destination,

the chopper will leave as soon as everyone has disembarked the chopper.

cool thing is you can have everyone have this ability to call if you wish, or specific people, or just the commander, dont matter.

the script comes with a demo mission.

i think it could be an invaluable addition into evolution.

Any questions let me know, as i use this script all the time, or contact Draper.

Simply - you get EXTRACTED from your situation... easiest way is via HALO respawn. Sure it would be nice to have an honest to goodness rescue chopper but I'm not sure how that would work in MP.

well if it's suppose to be HALO by design then how do i control where the halo starts from?...it should ask me to click on map to show where i want to begin halo from, but instead it just drops me in the middle of the map about 10,000m away from where i need to be...doesnt make much sense the way it is. Going to try Gunter's suggestion here and give the air support script a chance.

I'm not fond of the halo myself, I mean its cool, but your like 6000m up when you fall your falling forever, and as BigShot pointed out I think a map click option would be best,

and then maybe an option to choose your height to fall from, at least 1000m, you dont need the parachute til like 200m.

Gunter, how does the script call need to be changed if i want ALL connected players to have access to the menu for trans?

PS - ive tried it but apparently the transport chopper keeps exploding shortly after spawning.

Edited by BigShot

good discussion guys

I have looked at some of the air support script packages before but always felt they were too involved/meaty for our mission and would cause lag and implementation problems etc.

Also calling a friendly chopper in clafghan is likely to be a no-no as the terrain is just too high for them to navigate properly.

Also the aggressive AI air will blow away the officer we're stealthily trying to capture - the biggest bugbear of public players joining a team who have been playing for hours to isolate and capture their target. I can just see public dude coming in and going "ooh look at this option! an A10 to bomb the city to crap - neat..."

what we do:

chopper: have a friendly player pick us up (simplest is always the best), or if available HALO to nearest FARP and grab chopper

Close air support: friendly player takes to the air in apache (using blazes mod it has tweaked mod

http://www.gitsarma.gamingdeluxe.net/mods/gdtmod_helicopter_weapons.pbo

for enabling the player to sit in pilot and use gun cam with strobes (we added) for friendly units

or they fly planes - and we give them targets - we always encourage fast air not to engage without ground confirmation, but that's just us. Having the AI do it will likely be a nightmare.

the HALO extraction is designed to accomodate die-hard players (like me and my pals) who don't just want to respawn if we're in the middle of nowhere after a side-mission and the chopper has despawned or maybe we survived a hard landing (which often is the case thanks to Dyslexcis tactics manual - feathering the engine we survive most hard landings in choppers with no fuel/engine/tail rotor). It means you can stay alive and extract without one of you having to respawn at base to grab a chopper. If you're experienced at HALO you will know that being as high as possible in the centre of the map allows you to reach the furthest flung reaches of the map, or at least the nearest FARP to where you want to go, so you can pick up a little bird etc.

I could tag the _base marker from the T menu support script (when you click on the map) to the HALO script, so instead of using HALOmarker it uses _base, which would be a fairly simple bit of script, but what would be the point? You can get where you're going with the script as it is. You only have to click on the map cos I've been too lazy to work around the script that operates for 23 other support optioins that require a map click...

In case you hadn't realised NEVER put on your T menu when HALOing as it kills your controls. It's a little bug I've never quite fixed. I should disable T menu in HALO really.

Ideally the choppers would not respawn when you're in the middle of a side-mission, but then loads of people would be in here saying "man, all the choppers are out in the boonies, can you make them respawn at base" - it's always a compromise.

I think the mission works fine to be honest - you need to modify your play a little to work with the options, but they are better than not having them...

i recommend racs clafghan or racs lingor - not a big DL really

Gunter, how does the script call need to be changed if i want ALL connected players to have access to the menu for trans?

I did this with the couple of guys I play with on a mission I built, basically name each player and then repeat the code in the init, like this:

ASfirstrun = true;
nul = [[b]m1[/b],"jadam","lgb","cbuap","cbuat","cbumine","cas","helo","trans"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit.sqf";
nul = [[b]m2[/b],"jadam","lgb","cbuap","cbuat","cbumine","cas","helo","trans"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit.sqf";
nul = [[b]m3[/b],"jadam","lgb","cbuap","cbuat","cbumine","cas","helo","trans"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit.sqf";
nul = [[b]m4[/b],"jadam","lgb","cbuap","cbuat","cbumine","cas","helo","trans"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit.sqf";
if(true)exitWith{};

the m1-4 is just a name I used, but you can use any name dont matter, as long as the playable character in the editor has the name.

I cant seem to find the mission I used multiple lines on, but it works, i tested it in the demo mission that comes with the script, just repeat the code, be sure to name the character ingame.

PS - ive tried it but apparently the transport chopper keeps exploding shortly after spawning.

Hmm, I just made my one character have the defaul, and the other have just the transport, like so and I had np.

ASfirstrun = true;
nul = [m2,"jadam","lgb","cbuap","cbuat","cbumine","cas","helo","trans"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit.sqf";
if(true)exitWith{};

make sure you place a marker and name it Aspad that may be your problem, cuz if you have the code correct in the init script,

then the only thing you need is the character with the name, and then the marker named Aspad

I have looked at some of the air support script packages before but always felt they were too involved/meaty for our mission and would cause lag and implementation problems etc.

definitely no lag from this script, implementation can be a challenge but theres really nothing to add but to the init, and a marker on the map.

However a problem would be the name of the players to have access to the air support, but if Im not mistaken you can name a playable character multiple

name by separating each nae with a semi colon, like my example above, m1;m2;m3, but in evo you have a name already, so just add;m1 or whatever, I should test it myself to see if it works.

I can just see public dude coming in and going "ooh look at this option! an A10 to bomb the city to crap - neat..."

Ya I can see that too, I think it may be best for jsut the leaders only, but better yet, all depends, its great for a small team that are serious though.

also in evo, my buddy and I dont bother with the commander, we just kill all the enemy, and blow the tower, and do the same for the next objective.

I know of one bug, maybe, the menu pops up randomly sometimes, no biggie I just hit escape. for evo that is.

Hmm, I just made my one character have the defaul, and the other have just the transport, like so and I had np.

ASfirstrun = true;
nul = [m2,"jadam","lgb","cbuap","cbuat","cbumine","cas","helo","trans"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit.sqf";
if(true)exitWith{};

make sure you place a marker and name it Aspad that may be your problem, cuz if you have the code correct in the init script,

then the only thing you need is the character with the name, and then the marker named Aspad

it definitely is not working for me in this mission...the transport chopper keeps exploding within 30 seconds. Im using the script as transport only and testing its menu with a single unit only. Gunter, are you actually running this script in the EVO v3 Brit on clafghan map??? (im guessing not, right?)

PS - you cannot use just a plain marker, it wont work...you need to use an "H" object instead (ive used an invisible H)

**EDIT- ok, instead of using the air support script im now successfully using a simple HALO script which appears in action menu and allows the player to use map clicking to define where youd like to be dropped over (and altitude is adjustable in script but i have mine set to 1500m).

Edited by BigShot

the players in evo are named eng1 - eng22 if that helps

you really dont want to mess with playernames as a lot hangs off of them

I know it may have been said already but the AI really don't fly so well on CLAFGHAN - especially the big birds like the Chinook and Merlin - they just can't navigate those big mountains properly. I spent a long time with MSO trying to get air support working on the island but basically gave up in the end.

Anyway, you may spend all this time getting the Air Support script to run only to find that the AI can't fly on it!

Not knocking the island by the way in MP with player pilots it rocks!!

yeah this is what i thought too - best thing is to get the options in that make the game play well and leave off all thebells and whistles as they basically only distract you from your purpose...

it definitely is not working for me in this mission...the transport chopper keeps exploding within 30 seconds.

Im using the script as transport only and testing its menu with a single unit only. Gunter, are you actually running this script in the EVO v3 Brit on clafghan map??? (im guessing not, right?)

PS - you cannot use just a plain marker, it wont work...you need to use an "H" object instead (ive used an invisible H)

What i originally did was edit the mission that came with the script, and basically copied and pasted from there, and i never tried a plain marker.

I also havent tried yet in evo, to busy atm, will try sometime this week, may not work as eggbeast had said theres alot hanging on a playable character's name,

plus you need to fit the code into the init line without breaking anything else in the mission.

the players in evo are named eng1 - eng22 if that helps

Ya I know about the names, i had edited your missions since you had came out with them, but i will test this out and report back,

wont be today though, got to get ready for work in a few :(

**EDIT- ok, instead of using the air support script im now successfully using a simple HALO script which appears in action menu and allows

the player to use map clicking to define where youd like to be dropped over (and altitude is adjustable in script but i have mine set to 1500m).

cool can you post a link to that script?

cool can you post a link to that script?

there isnt a direct link to it that i know of...it's the "mps_halo.sqf" script found in the "Patrol Ops 2" mission. If you download that mission put a copy of it's mps_halo.sqf into your data/scripts folder in the EVO mission and then you'll need to make a few edits in EVO. In EVO I basically replaced all instances of where it calls the "halo.fsm" script and pointed it to the new mps_halo.sqf. I also added halo ability for when you're near the ReconHQ SOV Jeep. The files that need to be edited are csupport.sqf, the HALO trigger in the editor, plus adding a new trigger for the reconhq jeep.

So basically it all looks just as Egg originally did it, only now there's no more smoke appearing when you request the halo and you'll be asked to click on map where you want to start halo from. It works from the base HQ, the "T" support menu (once youve reached good rank) and now also works from the sov jeep (when you deploy the recon hq).

I'd like to get it working when near the Mobile HQ (stryker mev) as well but I havent figured out how to do that as it seems that vehicle's name changes each time it respawns and i dont want to make a bunch more triggers each containing the newest name for when it spawns. Eggbeast, if you know how I can make a single trigger to make this vehicle call the script please let us know :-)

Edited by BigShot

......removed post

Edited by BigShot

ive always thought themhq was a weird script - i think it was developed to avoid people spwning in it in hohei original when the vehicle was dead, so they made 11 - truckw1-truckw11 of them. i've never messed with it tbh.

hmm...is it possible to call a script using the vehicles class name instead of its regular name? Afterall, its the only 1 of it's class in the mission so the script would only end up running when less than 10m from the stryker mev.

A few random thoughts about heli extractions.

First - location. They should not be "curbside pickup" where the heli comes exactly to the player's position on the map. They should have the pilot move to the best position for a helicopter (in CLafghan that would mean "lowest altitude". If they are going to have a basket extraction then it wouldn't matter AS MUCH for the location, but if it is based on Norrin's fastrope scripts then it is a normal heli landing. Just pick a random point that is within X radius of the player and have it place a marker on the map for it. Presto the pilot has to walk to the landing site.

Here's why this would matter - some logic would have to be configured to keep them away from the enemy AI. So if you get shot down within range of the enemy, the rescue chopper won't blindly fly to their doom. Perhaps a trigger for each waypoint that is activated after all the town's SAMs are destroyed? Something like: Condition: (!(alive) sam1) and (!(alive) sam2) and (!(alive) sam3); and let that determine if the player has permission to call in the rescue chopper. There needs to be a way to ensure that the waypoint is Y distance away from the enemy town center. I would say a MINIMUM of 2000m considering enemy ground fire from the closest side of the town center would start to shoot at the heli at about 1,000 meters. There will be PLENTY of time for the pilot to walk to that location so it isn't like it will distract from game play. Probably faster than a HALO drop :)

To even think about making it work in Clafghan, you would have to have an if-then condition where "if selected waypoint > XXX heightASL, then exit with "Sorry, cannot fly to that waypoint. Please select a different loc ation that is lower in altitude". Not saying it will work in Clafghan or not, just throwing it out there.

Oh and I believe it should randomly spawn an enemy foot patrol (lightly armed foot patrol only with no AA soldiers!) to make the extraction more interesting :)

I'm curious here...is anybody able to run the CLafghan based mission on a dedi using signature checks?

sry we dont use em

You guys should really update the AC-130 script in the mission. I think the mission has 0.3 included but the latest version is 0.8. Much improved, especially for MP.

Great mission though my friends and I are having a blast.

My mission is GITSEvolutionV13US.Takistan by the way.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Although in saying that Juggernaut, Lurchi is redoing the whole script. Perhaps at that time it may be the way to go.

Okay yes I just checked his thread. Thanks for the heads up Kremator.

What is the difference between Takistan v13 and v14?

Edited by JuggernautOfWar