eggbeast

GITS Evolution (new main thread)

Egg,

We just finished a marathon match on CLafghan RACS and I must say we absolutely love it! Good job (tips hat)!

A few observations we made that may be of interest:

- The "fortress hill" areas where the town/fort is at the top of the hills seem to need a different strategy for reinforcements. Since the reinforcements are driving directly to the waypoint, they of course never reach it and stall out somewhere halfway up the hill. You start just picking them off at distance to finish the objective. Perhaps a different set of reinforcements for those objectives would make it more balanced for the AI. The best thing I think would be more HALO parachute reinforcements. Just spawn more with AT/AA/sniper weapons to keep it interesting.

- The enemy CAP of course crashes on those tall hills. Would it be possible to generate the CAPs with pre-set waypoints to patrol? I know this height issue is a concern on this map; so the waypoint presets is perhaps the best way to fix this. This is the only way I can think of to keep this from happening. Needless to say we had air dominance most of the match. I'm wondering if it could scripted to get a position, and check its height. If > 2000 ASL then try again. Something like that. Or just a series of fixed waypoints that make them zig through the valleys in a search pattern. Then for each waypoint have them "flyinheight" dependent upon where they waypoint is. That *should* keep them from crashing. The trade-off will be more predictable AI CAPs, but it would be a help. What we found is that not only the helis, but even the aircraft are crashing into the mountains. Here's another thought - place a large trigger around the highest mountains to make the AI "flyinheight" within those triggers. What is the command to set the speed? Use that to also increase their speed in the trigger area so they not only fly higher, but faster. That should fix most of the AI stalling issues and *should* make the AI aircraft and helis increase their height over the mountain tops.

- The bases are really cramped. Would it be possible to spawn some of the vehicles outside of the base fence? That area between the base and the boat would be perfect for all the APCs :) Ditto for the FARPs.

- Artillery. It occurred to me that arty is something we on the blue side never have to worry about. What if the AI could call for an arty barrage if threatened? There would of course need to be a way to squelch that somehow, either by an "arty antenna" or by having only the officers or forward observers able to make the arty call. No officer or FO, no arty... something like that. Since that map is big enough, it would even be possible to have actual enemy arty sites on the map. They would have to be heavily defended with both AA and AT assets, and out of range of the support arty (make it unable to hit that spot) so that you can't simply kill it at the beginning. And of course make it where the enemy arty could not hit your airbase/respawn.

- I'd like to see some random AI patrols spawning near the players, or between the player and the objective. Just random things - maybe an AT patrol on top of the hills overlooking a mountain pass, maybe a fixed MG to shoot at helis near a mountain top, etc.

- Finally, airlifting equipment. I would like to have more CH-46 and CH-47 helis near the bases. We gave up trying to drive tanks 10km UPHILL! to the next objective :D We have found the best way for us to engage these towns is to airlift enough tanks, APCs, repair trucks, and artillery pieces to a close hill to make our own FARP. Then either heli or HALO to these "new" FARPs after respawn. I will say that I've become much better at airlifting vehicles with this mission! :) I would also like to see the static guns/artillery pieces take longer to respawn at the base. When we do airlift all this stuff in, we are usually there longer than the respawn time of these items.

- QUESTION: Is there a vehicle or bomb that can clear away all the trees in an area? I'm thinking about how they used those Daisy Cutter bombs in Vietnam to clear a landing zone. I would like to be able to bomb/bulldoze/move/hide trees that are knocked over so we can have a better line of sight when using tanks or clearing a landing zone for helis up in the mountains. Maybe make a script to simulate a plow on the front of a tank that hides vegetation that is knocked down?

- Along the same lines, would it be possible to fast-rope out of a heli so we don't have to eject out of the heli when we reach "that perfect mountain top" that overlooks the objective? There doesn't tend to be many places you can SAFELY land a heli full of people in some areas of the map :)

Overall the Clafghan mission is AWESOME! I can't wait to see different Evo versions on this map :cool:

hiya hp

wow that's some wish list!

we do have a randomly spawning enemy squad that comes to the FOB from either side and has often ambushed me driving from base or when choppering along the river... more of this would be good - i was also thinking ofmaking random civ cars explode and random sniper/mortar units attack friendlies...

the enemy air is a nightmare - i did set their fly heoight at 2000m and it made a lot more survive but not for long - once they get into their groove they soon smash out

al the MH/UH choppers and even apache/cobras airlift - and if you use the R3F module you can tow all the vehicles together ina big chain and then lift it as one - not ideal realism but quite handy...

for daisy cutting use a clusterbomb or MOAB from the T menu - but beware splash damage

have you tried all of the side missions? with a tight squad these are great to daisy chain together...

the reinforcements do need work i totally agree

Yeah we like to wish big :)

FYI - GITS RACS mission has UK flag (not RACS flag) at bases/FARPs.

Possible bug report - ATVs and Pinzgauers at the airbase respawn "double" and it looks like there are 2 vehicles trying to occupy the same space. Not sure if it is a respawn issue or not... happened on a dedi server. So when you respawn at the airbase, the ATVs aren't able to be used because they are all locked together under that camo net. Now that I think about it, same thing happened to the HAWK missile battery and the M-1 155mm howitzer after the base was bombed by the ever-present Su-25 patrols.

"... making random civ cars explode" - you got me thinking that maybe adding one of the IED modules/scripts would make things more interesting? It would make the EOD Engineer role much more valuable! :) There is enough random stuff on the side of the roads to make an IED script worthwhile.

My buddy is wondering if there is a way to scale the enemy air patrols based on number of people on the server? If you only have 2-3 guys on the server it gets kind of hairy when you have Su-25/L-39 patrols bombing you back into the stone age. Conversely, if there is a server w/ more online, say > 8 people, could the patrols be scaled up to be more intensive? Maybe launch a Tu-22 strike after a town is captured in retaliation for beating them back :)

the respawn thing is in transition - we made this happen once per hour so they would be useful if stacked in a vehicle and carried around using R3F, but then not lost when destroyed...

haven't yet decided how to handle statics etc but i will remove it from the hawks cos theyre too big for respawning double...

we put in the original IED script with the guy with the binocs etc int ofallujah but it didnt ever work properly

keen to sort it out

the planes have been linked to the difficulty level i think - need to refine as you say

couple of updates and a new mission:

Afghan RACS updated

http://www.gitsarma.gamingdeluxe.net/missions/GITSEvolution-RACS_Afghan_v2.clafghan.pbo

NEW - Panthera RACS Evolution

http://www.gitsarma.gamingdeluxe.net/missions/GITSEvolution-RACS_Panthera_v1.Panthera2.pbo

Requires Panthera 2.61

http://www.gitsarma.gamingdeluxe.net/mods/@Panthera.rar

Also best with RUG_DSAI with RUS voices not Arab

Edited by eggbeast

I'd absolutely love to see the Air Loadout Selector System (A.L.S.S.) by SkyNet implemented. It's such an amazing addon and as far as I know the client doesn't even need it, just the mission on the server.

UPDATE: I'm trying to implement the addon myself but it seems to be incompatible with your overarmed aircraft. How do I disable that feature so I can use this addon instead?

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

hi guys,

what is the latest gits evolution version that is playable with arma 2 only without additional mods?

the v32 version give many errors which depend on missing mods i think..

thanks and regards

r.

Now that Invasion 1944 2.6 is out will you be updating previous versions and can you make a I44 on Takistan ?

I'd absolutely love to see the Air Loadout Selector System (A.L.S.S.) by SkyNet implemented. It's such an amazing addon and as far as I know the client doesn't even need it, just the mission on the server.

UPDATE: I'm trying to implement the addon myself but it seems to be incompatible with your overarmed aircraft. How do I disable that feature so I can use this addon instead?

i'm pretty sure i made this an option in theparameters - extra weapons OFF

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

hi guys,

what is the latest gits evolution version that is playable with arma 2 only without additional mods?

the v32 version give many errors which depend on missing mods i think..

thanks and regards

r.

you need psychobastards evo for A2 only mate - ours is CO only

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Now that Invasion 1944 2.6 is out will you be updating previous versions and can you make a I44 on Takistan ?

maybe - the tanks had massive problems in I44

Was that I44 2.5 or 2.6 and is it caused by the mod itself or GITS Evo ?

i'm pretty sure i made this an option in theparameters - extra weapons OFF

Silly me I didn't know what that parameter did. Pretty obvious now that I know. :rolleyes:

Egg,

I COMPLETELY forgot to mention this previously - noticed that the BM-21 Grad vehicle is often present in the enemy objectives. However, it does nothing. I have never seen a BM21 rocket attack, nor have I seen it do anything in-town other than drive around and blow up :) Is it supposed to do something other than occupy the town? Personally I would like to see that removed in favor of a more threatening AT vehicle (another BTR-90 perhaps).

thanks again for the awesome missions! :cool:

"you need psychobastards evo for A2 only mate - ours is CO only"

Thanks for the hint! So that means that I cannot play the gitsv32 on a standalone arma 2 server even with installed mods? thats bad...the gits version is really nice :/

regards r.

"you need psychobastards evo for A2 only mate - ours is CO only"

Thanks for the hint! So that means that I cannot play the gitsv32 on a standalone arma 2 server even with installed mods? thats bad...the gits version is really nice :/

regards r.

Should get Combined Ops. ;)

Should get Combined Ops. ;)

hehe i have co already... but other friends refuse to buy. :mad:

is there any other good alternative to gits? hohei evolution seems to be buggy. yesterday my server crashed 2 times :butbut:

that never happened with gits.. PLEASE WORK OUT A VERSION FOR ARMA 2:bounce3: :yay: :rolleyes:

regard r.

I think the crashing bug for Hohei is only present in the newest version of the ArmA 2 only mission. I should know I test them before they're released. :rolleyes:

In other news: You guys should really update the AC-130 script in the mission. I think the mission has 0.3 included but the latest version is 0.8. Much improved, especially for MP.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Hi Eggbeast

thanks for all the updates and releases.

I have a question, is it possible to create or update this version:

GITSEvolutionV14US.Takistan

that dont require and any mods and such?

Edited by Gnter Severloh

ok willdo - you maye have noticed but we do a rotation for each map and RH weapons and RACS mod - these are the main mods- We're not going to use the typhoon any more as it causes the 12 death respawn fail - massive shame - so every month or so a revamp is ported to a new island

ill try to do takistan in the next batch

Edited by eggbeast

Thanks Eggbeast.

My buddy and I have our own game server for Arma2CO, and your evo missions are the missions we mostly play,

but I tweak and add stuff to the missions that we like to play with, thats why ask.

Keep up the good work, the missions are fun.

Hiya!

Been playing the CLAfghan Brit version3 lately and would like to ask if there's anyway to have the mission select the targets randomly instead of always in the same order?

We never have the time to actually finish all the target areas and so always starting within the same target towns/areas at the beginning gets boring...the map is so big it would be nice to get to play the mission in a different area each time we start it up. Anyway to easily edit that, or can you change it possibly?

Thank you, having fun with it!

You can actually edit the missions and move the markers for each of the objectives, but the problem with that is when you move them then basically

it will be the same setup as before for you, nothing random.

Moving all the markers and such is a pain in a way as certain markers spawn vehicles, and reinforcements,

as far as random eggbeast will know how to do that, he might have to script that.

yep, definitely needs to be scripted....just not sure how to do that myself. But, I know the Domination missions typically choose the targets randomly so I know it can be done. I'm not asking for NEW targets to be made up on the fly, but just for the pre-existing targets to be chosen in a random order of completion when the mission starts.

hi guys

glad you're enjoying the mission

when we get bored we swap maps for a few weeks so we might play afghan for 3 weeks then return to it after playing fallujah, sahrani, chernarus, takistan, lingor, capraia, panthera, duala, tigeria, tropica, etc - making the city zones random is a lot of work - because it needs to be managed for every JIP client...

it's not my priority right now to be honest.

if you want a better version of clafghan to play play the racs version guys - it starts in the north...

understood, eggbeast...no problem i wasn't sure how much work it was to do so it didnt hurt to ask, heh:-)

btw - can you explain to me what's up with the "extraction" support request?...instead of sending an extraction heli to pick me up it just spawns me as a para jumper in the middle of the map and I dont understand how to move the HALO marker closer to where id like to para from.