Sign in to follow this  
gammadust

SOPA - Internet as we know it about to be gone?

Unlikely people will rather stay at home and blog about this stupid people in congress :(

Saddly true, at this point the only time you would see violent action from the mass would be if they made a bill that essentially shut down mcdonalds.

Saddly true, at this point the only time you would see violent action from the mass would be if they made a bill that essentially shut down mcdonalds.

Now THAT would most certainly get them into trouble. :rolleyes:

You might be surprised at what happens when you take the common fast food chain away for any reason be it technical, roadwork or other..

The Stop Online Piracy Act is so polarizing in the tech world that huge web companies like Amazon, eBay, Facebook, and Google are considering going dark in order to spread awareness, reports ExtremeTech.

Imagine going to Google.com to do a search only to find some explanatory text on what SOPA is and how to call Congress to voice your opinion on it.

There's no plan on when the blackout would occur, but January 23 looks like the most likely date given that Congress is scheduled to debate SOPA on January 24.

ExtremeTech shares the full list of companies that may participate in the blackout. Again, consider what the Internet would be like without access to any of these companies' services:

• AOL
  • eBay
  • Etsy
  • Facebook
  • Foursquare
  • Google
  • IAC
  • LinkedIn
  • Mozilla
  • OpenDNS
  • PayPal
  • Twitter
  • Wikimedia Foundation
  • Yahoo!
  • Zynga

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/sopa-protest-2012-1

I, for one, am very happy to hear that these major players are considering such a move, and I fully support it. SOPA is evil and needs to die.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/sopa-protest-2012-1

I, for one, am very happy to hear that these major players are considering such a move, and I fully support it. SOPA is evil and needs to die.

^This

I consider taking away Facebook google and twitter away from people (even if its only for one day) would get people seriously pissed. I guess it will be time for torches and pitchforks

What a good idea! I think i'd secretly enjoy a day off facebook though...

Again, consider what the Internet would be like without access to any of these companies' services
Hmmm 60 percent more productive? :)

Quite funny that it would take some social network sites blackout to get people to notice, only becuase they would cry for having it back which has a back end linked in to all this online privacy law tripe anyway.

Edited by mrcash2009

Hmmm 60 percent more productive? :)

Quite funny that it would take some social network sites blackout to get people to notice, only becuase they would cry for having it back which has a back end linked in to all this online privacy law tripe anyway.

Actually, productivity would only increase in the real world, and only after the rioting would have stopped.

more enlightened nations where both freedom and the free market still exist. Funny how the US Republican party turns out to be the most communist though.
Funny how you talk about free markets but promote tax increases and austerity measures.

Kind Regards ranger

Don't US politicians have other stuff to worry about, instead of internet and online piracy?

Don't US politicians have other stuff to worry about, instead of internet and online piracy?

yes.

I think its about time a hamburger became's a salad. It has vegetables on it!!!! :p

Apparently the only thing they worry about is their next payslip. ;)

At this rate people will be pledging to One Nation Under Copyright very soon.

Hi, if the "information is power" then who controls the information would have the power and the lobbys are about that; look at us, at europe... we're all moving to the right and even on the left partys they're putting lobbysts on decisive places so they ensure to take what they want from the cake no matter what.

We, the citizens, gonna have to do more to protect our countrys and degree of freedom if we don't want to live as slaves; and if this were a declared war... we'll be actualy loosing it. Let's C ya

Our Founding Fathers would be rolling around in the graves if they saw America now.

You can bet on that

Our Founding Fathers would be rolling around in the graves if they saw America now.

Well, that's obvious. They were Freemasons so they'd disagree with the Illuminati being in power.

They were Freemasons so they'd disagree with the Illuminati being in power.

Washington wrote many letters about how fu**ed up the Freemasonry is and he wasn't in a lodge for 20 years when they declared independence.

These People didn't invented Freedome, but they did their best to define it.

Washington wrote many letters about how fu**ed up the Freemasonry is and he wasn't in a lodge for 20 years when they declared independence.

These People didn't invented Freedome, but they did their best to define it.

Oh, I know for a fact... I read... DAN BROWN BOOKS :rolleyes:

Maybe I should lay off the sarcasm for a while.

Oh, I know for a fact... I read... DAN BROWN BOOKS :rolleyes:

Maybe I should lay off the sarcasm for a while.

Well...Brown is a mix between Freemason PR and Entertainment.

Dan Brown copied "Da Vinci code" from the Book "Holy Blood Holy Grail" and one of the authors, Michael Baigent, later worked as an Editor for "Freemasonry Today".

Screw your lousy sarcasm lad, grow up.

Dont want to sound like a self appointed moderator or anything but due to past might be best to not go that route too much, esp when its not about the thread, otherwise rustly lock time. :)

Indeed. I still believe that personal profit is not an acceptable political motivation. Even the commies knew that. Besides, the minute SOPA afflicts people's beloved Twitter and Facebook, they'll rip the Congress apart.

Well...Brown is a mix between Freemason PR and Entertainment.

Dan Brown copied "Da Vinci code" from the Book "Holy Blood Holy Grail" and one of the authors, Michael Baigent, later worked as an Editor for "Freemasonry Today".

Screw your lousy sarcasm lad, grow up.

Browns last book was awfull. Nothing than endless PR BS for the Freemasonry.

I read Dan Brown's Digital Fortress and decided i'd never read another of his books. That was a long time ago though.

EDIT: Crap, thought I was in the book thread. Disregard. :p