Craig_VG

[TvT/FFA/CO-40] Dynamic Zombie Sandbox

I read threw a rew pages.. used the serch this thread (function) and cannot find my answer...

Question:

Is there any way to remove the place "units", in the .pbo?

My trials

I located the unit scripting in the .pbo file and removed a few units....

I would like no more then 10 units ... so I removed all the class items. for West and East. and kept just civi's. that left me with 11 units.. OK

I save..

start up arma 2 free.. go to host MP game.. and my game crashes and I get error:

data file to short

'MPMissions\Dynamic_Zombie_SandboxA2.utes.pbo' Expected -1175925331 B, got 2387984 B

Any help appreciated ..

P.S. I have tested the untouched download. It launches just fine.

I read threw a rew pages.. used the serch this thread (function) and cannot find my answer...

Question:

Is there any way to remove the place "units", in the .pbo?

Are you talking about playable units?

If so, you have to make sure you update the mission.sqm with the correct counts:

class Groups
{
	items=[color="#FF0000"]13[/color];
	class [color="#0000FF"]Item0[/color]

If there are 11 items, you need to update the red highlight to reflect that number, and the first item should be Item0, the next Item1, etc... (so if there are 11 items, the last one will be Item10).

Are you talking about playable units?

If so, you have to make sure you update the mission.sqm with the correct counts:

class Groups
{
	items=[color="#FF0000"]13[/color];
	class [color="#0000FF"]Item0[/color]

If there are 11 items, you need to update the red highlight to reflect that number, and the first item should be Item0, the next Item1, etc... (so if there are 11 items, the last one will be Item10).

Hey VAKE , thanks for the reply.. and yes i mean playable units...

and Yes i did that .. I changed it to 11 because there were 11 CIVI's left.. and I also changed the class item name from 0-10... until i work around that i am leaveing all the units avaliable ... However...

My main problem has become respawning in water... once ANYONE dies they respawn in water.

I am using this on the UTES map.. all the side missions show up ON ISLAND.. but you respawn off the east coast about 3-5 miles!/ you cant even see the island..

// a lot of the parameter settings dont work on my pc with either map CHen OR UTes.. fog, weather, time speed, However most do work...

secondly .. how do i get the missions SQM....

In the download is the .pbo and thats it??

RECAP:

Vake : I had alread did exactly that .. still no go .

1. Island utes is prefered map due to NO LAG. HOWEVER , after death you spawn in water off east coast...

/outside that the game is freaking AWESOME!!!!

You think it is because i have Arma 2 FRee??

I've only played the CO version, so I am not sure about the A2 free version. I have tested it on Utes and didn't have the spawning in water problem.

Did you un-pbo the file? I extracted all files into their own folder in my missions folder (using Zargabad as the example):

C:\Users\VAKE\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\VAKE\missions\Dynamic_Zombie_Sandbox_Test.Zargabad

The extracted folder's file structure should look like this:

<FOLDER> craigs_scripts
<FOLDER> sideMissions
<FOLDER> sound
<FOLDER> zombie_scripts
mission.sqm
init.sqf
description.ext
cly_gps.sqs
briefing.sqf
stringtable.xml
briefing.html
cly_accuracy.sqf
cly_addweapon.sqf
cly_crate.sqs
cly_heal.sqf
cly_hud.sqf
cly_jukebox.sqf
cly_objectives.sqs
cly_playerstates.sqf
cly_removedead.sqf
cly_spectate.sqf
cly_terraingrid.sqs
Fog.fsm
forestdensity.sqs
jipresumepos.sqs
LoadingScreen.ext
vehicle.sqf

This allows me to use the editor to make a few changes and then save it as a .pbo. Once saved, the .pbo will be saved in your MPMissions folder (I use Steam):

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\MPMissions\Dynamic_Zombie_Sandbox_Test.Zargabad.pbo

If you change the file name in the editor, it will create a new mission folder which will NOT have the zombie scripts included, so if you want to test different changes, make sure you copy the scripts over!

I've successfully removed OPFOR and Civilian sides from my version, and made the BLUFOR all BAF engineers/medics. I also removed all BAF zombies to avoid confusion and friedlies 'accidentally' shooting other players (I have a free-for-all server, so there is intentional friendly fire sometimes ;)).

I've made a few other tweaks that make me reluctant to upgrade to version .95 (still on .90) as it doesn't sound like a big performance boost (.95 sounds like more of a resource hog, actually).

If you have already done all of this and you are still having the same problem, let us know! ;)

I did not know you could un pbo a game file..

Ill look into it . now that i know that ill give it another go .. and try to solve the water spawn issue while im at it .. who knows I may solve a arma 2 free glitch??(HIGHLY DOUBT IT)

THANKS VAKE!

if you know where i can get a easy to use un-pbo'er please show me the way!!??

No problem!

Here's a list of pbo extractors:

BI Studio: PBO Files

I use Pbo View, but there may be a better one out there.

You might be able to figure out the issues you are having once you extract the files and view the mission in the editor. Good luck!

Is there anywhere to get the .90 verison... so i can forgo all the dissconect problems...

every time i hose a game ...

anyone that loggs on ... losses connection and their game crashes... after 10-30 minutes

some settings reduced the occurence..

terrain detaile : VERY LOW

FOG: OFF

speed up time: OFF

reduced the occurrence of the crash for others .. but did not elimiate it ..

is there any were to get a V.90?

P.S. I did get a pbo decompiler , and all i removed were a few playable units..

I did solve the spawning in water issue in UTES for ARMA 2 FREE ...

the RESPAWN_CIVILIAN marker needs to be moved to the center of the island...

so far that has worked .. I have spawned on the island in random places but not in the ocean!! YEAY

i tried the v90 one and that silt crashed to desktop, so does the 95 version after 10 or so minutes.

I really enjoy the mod, especially on-line but the crashes are getting very irritating. Also is it possible to change the time of the mission in SP? Prefer daytime.

Really good mod, keep up the good work!!

Its being worked on and from what I see so far should be great when finished.

Well I think the DayZ mod has totally killed all the other arma zombie mods. ;)

Well I think the DayZ mod has totally killed all the other arma zombie mods. ;)

I disagree big time.

I like to run my own server with dayZ I cant.

This zombie mod is great and I sure do hope its still being looked after?.

As soon as its updated I will slap it on me server for me and me mates to play again.

I have spent hours playing this mission with my friends and its great fun.

I had played this map today for the first time, but after some minutes I kept being CTD and said "ArmA II has stopped working" over and over for 2 or 3 times.

I have latest 1.11 patch version for ArmA II, please give me some solution :)

Edited by Special_Air_Service
more information

I had played this map today for the first time, but after some minutes I kept being CTD and said "ArmA II has stopped working" over and over for 2 or 3 times.

I have latest 1.11 patch version for ArmA II, please give me some solution :)

Many people are experiencing this issue, hope it get sorted.

This mod is good fun, but without things like water level, food and other things Dayz has it is not as good, simply because it provides less of an survival experience.

Could me using Arma 2 free be the issue?

Everyone's a cheapskate... Arma2 Combined Operations costs $30 and people still won't spring for it, yet they seem to have no problem shelling out $65 a month for the next blockbuster grayed-out gunfest call of duty "combat" game of running down halls with a laser gun shooting pop up enemies....

Is it possible to add more weapon caches and ammo caches in the multi player game?

Many people are experiencing this issue, hope it get sorted.

This mod is good fun, but without things like water level, food and other things Dayz has it is not as good, simply because it provides less of an survival experience.

Could me using Arma 2 free be the issue?

seems not, I have ArmA II paid version and still has this issue :)

Is there a way I can place objects in the editor with this mission? I want to create a helicopter hidden in a forest (and not to escape, but to pick up people) but every time I attempt to save it, no zombies appear.

Is there a way I can place objects in the editor with this mission? I want to create a helicopter hidden in a forest (and not to escape, but to pick up people) but every time I attempt to save it, no zombies appear.

You need to unpbo the mission and move the scripts and items from the unpbo'd folder into the new folder in the my documents\arma2\missions before you save it for export.

Edited by heklos

I was able to edit the files but once i saved it and exported it, the zombies turned back into normal AI. How can i fix this?

any news on the prohgress of this please cant wait to test the new features and fixes

I've kinda taken a break on this again. Dayz is really awesome! Play that! Rocket did what I've always wanted to do with zombies. :D

I have exams right now, so I really need to focus on that. I'll be back at this when summer starts. I have some nice ideas.

And I want to ask Rocket if it's okay to use Dayz zombies for this. But I haven't looked into how his system works.

Craig

does anyone else gets this problem where other players lose connection after 10+ minutes of playing while you host? not dedicated btw.

tried this mission 2 weeks ago. now im on holiday and will be coming back home soon to try host this again.

AND im using the OLDER v0.95 . meaning i downloaded this before craig added a hotfix regarding the mission not working in a dedi server. dont seem like the problem but im just gonna put it in here hehe.

if i remember right. the parameters were..

arma 2 FREE v1.10

CHERNARUS

20 zombies

small and medium vehicle amount (still had players losing connection on small)

spawn everywhere more in towns ( i got a feeling that this is the problem as craig mentioned about this param causing lag)

debug mode on

fast time on

spawn at random towns

respawn with random weapoms

i've looked at the whole thread and no one has mentioned this. my guess it could be because of zombies and vehicles respawning and causing huge lag. it could also be because of my duo core laptop. underpowered for the game but i still manage to get good fps in lowest settings.

the fast time didnt work for me.

we dont respawn with a random weapon.

and the time desync happens when i set the starting time to 18:00 and with fog off. (so i wont lag like crazy :P)

and we all respawn at the exact same spot, north of chernogorsk, everytime eventhough i set it to random towns. is it meant to be like this?

i watched a v90 video on youtube and one of them died and mentioned they respawned at a town. maybe they had spawn together on, but i tried that and we all still respawned at the same place, north of chernogorsk.

wonder if theres anyone with ARMA FREE or ARMA 2 who has played this mission before.

once i get home i'll try puttin 10 zombies, spawn everywhere and small amount of vehicles. and try to see if debug mode actually makes a difference other than markers on the map.

if that failed then i guess its my laptop :(

OH YES. there should be a param to disallow NVGs at start and can only be found through dead zombies and ammoboxes.

Exactly same problem as you, just that mine is dedicated and arma 2 free .11, I lowered the params that probably shock the server and managed to play 15-20 min max. not more than that with around 10 to 15 players, start socking it to a total server hang and sometimes crash. All that with 0.95, tried the 0.90 and its little worst, and the start time is always midnight, whatever time I set in parameters.

Thanks Craig/bobtom for this awesome mission, looking forward for the fix and future updates, let me know if I can help with my little knowledge and hosting.

It's more than tweaking the Celery stuff, or editing them.

Celery's stuff is loop intensive, and works fantastic for a scripted, linear mission that spawns/despawns at triggers with groups more or less in the same localization.

It fails when it has to deal with dispersed targets (players) with zeds randomly spawned over wide areas (4+ sq km, or a 2x2 map)

You can fix it by:

1) Dumping the Celery scripts and going to a location or player based trigger spawn that makes it a localized spawn/despawn. This gets rid of all the non-triggered zombies but might provoke spawn lag if too many people are up.

2) Dumping the Celery scripts and rethinking new applications of the BIS FNC group spawn command, with zeds as a parameter. This pushes the cpu thinking back into the purer game logic-thinking rather than leveraging script work arounds.

3) Dumping the Celery scripts and going simplistic 'move to nearest' and 'inflict damage after animation within 2m' script with a sound attachment. This streamlines all the other stuff.

4) Dumping the Celery scripts server-side and go to a client-side performance demand like Undead mod. Worst choice. What drew me to DZS was that it is all server side, and you lose a percentage of interest (particularly from new players) by having them go through the complicated BIS process of implementing mods. (My plug: they should change this to downloading the mod if not on local at time of connection, like other FPS do for maps and mods - then the server searches for availability, crc's it for cheats, and says yes/no for joining the server).

What sticks out? Dumping the Celery scripts. Now do not misunderstand my opinions: Celery did a bang-up innovative and talented scripting for what it was - a controlled deployment of zeds with either a very local aggression area or less than six players that generally stick together on a smaller map. Thats not what the unwashed masses want. They want continuous, aggressive zeds with a large online participation - the more zeds and more online players the better.

What his scripts cannot do is spawn 200 zeds that loop through 30 players locations in the cpu time allotted, on a 12kmx12km playing ield (144km Chenarus, Takistan, or even a 9x9 Zargabad 81km) with everything else that happens on the map (recalc of player positions, bullets flying, smoke and fire, effects and repositions of moveable objects). You really cannot force this big square peg into a small round hole.

Plus, nows the time to make the big change to some kind of simple scripting that will migrate well to Arma3, which will more or less have the same issues with probably a greater graphics demand. Get the fix in now, and make it work without glitch so you can put it up as fast as possible for A3. Great work, Craig - keep the faith on this. whiskey

Agree big time

when editing this mission make sure you do sync everything. our server hasn't really had any issues with lag i keep zombies at 10 instead of a high number when running on dedicated server. if you have any questions please feel free to ask Craig i got a few ideas you might really like as well problem with dayz is there not enough of small building to enter but that could change later down the road.