Craig_VG

[TvT/FFA/CO-40] Dynamic Zombie Sandbox

I need help with 3 questions:

1) As an engineer, how do i repair vehicles? Or how do you repair them in general.

2) How do i load the map in the editor?

3) How do you set up a dedicated server?

Thanks for the help. Great mod by the way.

Also i have a 1090T processor and 12 GB DDR3 RAM , and when hosting a normal server i keep getting 6-10 fps (14 players) and 33% CPU usage. Could it be because the vehicles spawn is set to "Insane"

Hi , i want to add my own weapons into the map but im unable to find the right script , i tried editing he startup.sqf( by adding weapon names to the "cases") but after saving the map and trying it , the map stopped working(spawn without weapons/no zombies etc)

I changed this

//Farmer Guns

CVG_weapons = ["huntingrifle","colt1911","m9","m9sd","makarov","makarovsd","aks_gold","AK_74","AK_47_M","FN_FAL","AK_47_S","AKS_74_U","LeeEnfield","m16a2","m1014"];

To

//Farmer Guns

CVG_weapons = ["huntingrifle","colt1911","m9","m9sd","makarov","makarovsd","aks_gold","AK_74","AK_47_M","FN_FAL","AK_47_S","AKS_74_U","LeeEnfield","m16a2","m1014","weaponname"];

but it broke the script somehow ;/ and i had to undo it ...

Can anyone tell me what i have to do to add my own weapons ?

MFG Neocortex

P.S. Sorry for my bad english , im still learning ;)

I need help with 3 questions:

1) As an engineer, how do i repair vehicles? Or how do you repair them in general.

2) How do i load the map in the editor?

3) How do you set up a dedicated server?

Thanks for the help. Great mod by the way.

Also i have a 1090T processor and 12 GB DDR3 RAM , and when hosting a normal server i keep getting 6-10 fps (14 players) and 33% CPU usage. Could it be because the vehicles spawn is set to "Insane"

1) Walk up to vehicles and click repair. It is a feature built into ArmA, I haven't touched it.

2) dePBO (don't know how? http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/index.php?action=details&id=383) and then put in your MPmissions folder in C:\Users\Craig\Documents\ArmA 2\MPMissions

3) start here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server

Hi , i want to add my own weapons into the map but im unable to find the right script , i tried editing he startup.sqf( by adding weapon names to the "cases") but after saving the map and trying it , the map stopped working(spawn without weapons/no zombies etc)

I changed this

//Farmer Guns

CVG_weapons = ["huntingrifle","colt1911","m9","m9sd","makarov","makarovsd","aks_gold","AK_74","AK_47_M","FN_FAL","AK_47_S","AKS_74_U","LeeEnfield","m16a2","m1014"];

To

//Farmer Guns

CVG_weapons = ["huntingrifle","colt1911","m9","m9sd","makarov","makarovsd","aks_gold","AK_74","AK_47_M","FN_FAL","AK_47_S","AKS_74_U","LeeEnfield","m16a2","m1014","weaponname"];

but it broke the script somehow ;/ and i had to undo it ...

Can anyone tell me what i have to do to add my own weapons ?

MFG Neocortex

P.S. Sorry for my bad english , im still learning ;)

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong here. That code is fine, you must have done something wrong somewhere else?

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Also, I'm working on the zombies issues.

Keep an eye here: https://dev-heaven.net/projects/dynamic-zombie-sandbox/roadmap

I hope you decide to keep up the work on this!

DayZ is good and certainly popular but being able to easily add zombies to *any* map, with MP capabilities and dedicated servers is nothing to sneeze at. I also like the way your zombies spawn in the wilderness too, something that is missing from DayZ. Only wish there was an easy way to get weapons to spawn inside buildings in your mission... maybe someway to incorporate that new survival mod too.

Some friends talked me into playing DayZ and I thought 'meh, has potential...but needs work, and I don't enjoy getting shot in the back while fighting zombies for no reason'. So I searched for zombie mods...and low and behold, I find yours!!! Played it some tonight, and I'm very impressed. To which I say...

9e9.gif

That said, a few questions...

Why the heck can zombies trash my vehicle? At most I could see them flattening the tires...leaving me in an immobile car surrounded by zombies...hahah. Or perhaps flatten the tires quickly and damage the hull a lot more slowly?

Is there any way to turn the save/suspend feature on? I saw someone ask this but didnt see an answer in the threads. Sorry if it's been answered already.

Lastly, why are there random desks in the road once in awhile?!?

Edited by vladthemad

No worries mates.

I am working on this more than I have since March. I'll be porting this to A3 ASAP also BTW.

Fixed the helicopter bug:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/30293

More info on that at Dev-Heaven

I can't see myself abandoning this mission. It has much more popularity than I ever expected, and I still have big plans.

The modDB page for this mission gets 600 hits a day alone, and this mission is #3 of all COOP missions: Picture Link

I'll update dev-heaven and this thread as much as possible. :D

@Theguywhowantsmetotakehismoneyandshutup

http://craigvg.com/ArmA.html

Edited by bobtom

Hey Craig, I'm just wondering if you could release a hotfix version of .95 where placing objects work as it should? Because right now when placing weapon boxes, tower bunker etc they dont stick to the ground properly.

Another question, would you be able to change loot from spawning inside cars to spawn on the ground at certain locations similar to dayz? (And if possible some kind of respawn so the map wont go empty after a while)

I know DZS and Dayz are different missions with different gameplay, but this loot system is really great for a zombie apocalypse. Scavenging ftw!

This system also allows you to reduce the amount of vehicles without the cost of less loot.

Looking forward to the A3 version (and A3 in general).

still looking forward to the next release :)

No worries mates.

I am working on this more than I have since March. I'll be porting this to A3 ASAP also BTW.

Fixed the helicopter bug:

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/30293

More info on that at Dev-Heaven

I can't see myself abandoning this mission. It has much more popularity than I ever expected, and I still have big plans.

The modDB page for this mission gets 600 hits a day alone, and this mission is #3 of all COOP missions: Picture Link

I'll update dev-heaven and this thread as much as possible. :D

That is most excellent to hear! Popularity can only grow as those that were drawn to this engine by DayZ (over 150,000 new players in the last six weeks) discover that it isn't the only "zombie" mod in town. I'm a moderator on the DayZ forums and I found your mod while looking for an alternative to recommend to those that were looking for something different, primarily those that want to host a small server for their friends, use custom islands (that's me too), play more PVE instead of PVP, etc. There IS a demand for such an alternative and I'd be happy to do what I can to channel some of that demand your way... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't pointing people at a dead end... a mod that wasn't being developed any more.

If you could use some help I'm sure there are many, myself included, that would be happy to pitch in any way they can?

Nice! Just donated $20, but what of saves and suspends!?! Hahha. I'm currently hosting listening servers until I can figure out how to make these steam libraries run on my linux server and it'd be nice if we didn't have to restart every time we quit for an evening.

Another question, are the zombies supposed to have different skins? Right now they just look like normal NPCs, but run fast, make scary sounds, etc. I like the fact that they open their mouths when they make the noises btw..nice touch.

Edited by vladthemad

Hey Craig, I'm just wondering if you could release a hotfix version of .95 where placing objects work as it should? Because right now when placing weapon boxes, tower bunker etc they dont stick to the ground properly.

Another question, would you be able to change loot from spawning inside cars to spawn on the ground at certain locations similar to dayz? (And if possible some kind of respawn so the map wont go empty after a while)

I know DZS and Dayz are different missions with different gameplay, but this loot system is really great for a zombie apocalypse. Scavenging ftw!

This system also allows you to reduce the amount of vehicles without the cost of less loot.

Looking forward to the A3 version (and A3 in general).

Loot in certain locations? I'm working on it. I've mentally prepared how I want to do it, I just haven't seen if the way I want to do it is practical. Rocket had more options because he was using a mod, while I'm using a mission only format.

A3 is going to rock my and your world.

still looking forward to the next release :)

Me too.

That is most excellent to hear! Popularity can only grow as those that were drawn to this engine by DayZ (over 150,000 new players in the last six weeks) discover that it isn't the only "zombie" mod in town. I'm a moderator on the DayZ forums and I found your mod while looking for an alternative to recommend to those that were looking for something different, primarily those that want to host a small server for their friends, use custom islands (that's me too), play more PVE instead of PVP, etc. There IS a demand for such an alternative and I'd be happy to do what I can to channel some of that demand your way... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't pointing people at a dead end... a mod that wasn't being developed any more.

If you could use some help I'm sure there are many, myself included, that would be happy to pitch in any way they can?

Glad you like it. I really like DayZ and it was one of the reasons I stopped working on this (besides exams and parties). It is just so much fun to play. :D

I like DZS too. I will be releasing 1.0 after some serious dedi testing, then start adding some features.

Nice! Just donated $20, but what of saves and suspends!?! Hahha. I'm currently hosting listening servers until I can figure out how to make these steam libraries run on my linux server and it'd be nice if we didn't have to restart every time we quit for an evening.

Another question, are the zombies supposed to have different skins? Right now they just look like normal NPCs, but run fast, make scary sounds, etc. I like the fact that they open their mouths when they make the noises btw..nice touch.

Thank you very much sir. Saves and suspends are something that I want to add. I will talk to Dominic to see how he did it for Degeneration.

Celery made the zombies, not me. :D

They do look normal yes, I can't really add new skins, but Rocket made some nice suggestions to me that I haven't looked into yet, but still want to:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132155-Is-it-possible-to-set-a-unit-s-texture-to-its-wound-texture

Hi again just wanted to make sure that the next release will still be compaitble with ACE2 as I feel ACE2 adds so so much weapons,jerry cans etc etc

Loot in certain locations? I'm working on it. I've mentally prepared how I want to do it, I just haven't seen if the way I want to do it is practical. Rocket had more options because he was using a mod, while I'm using a mission only format.

A3 is going to rock my and your world.

I found a quite simple way yesterday how to put loot on the ground anywhere you want (tho static, not dynamic) the hard part would be to make it respawn i assume.

But I'm really looking forward to v1.0

Btw, will weapons on the ground / in buildings (or loot in general) be in v1.0 or in a future update?

Are you planning on adding hunger / thirst system as well? If yes in v1.0 or future update? ^^

Yea, A3 will be epic. A slightly bigger island with bigger cities where 80% or more of the buildings are enterable, perfect for DZS :D

Awesome!

Now idk what the "dont always spawn nicely" thing is, but check this out in case it might help you:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...-on-the-ground

Yes, I know how to spawn them as weapon holders, that's how I made that picture. :D

Currently the script does the following:

Find buildings

Evaluates whether that building has valid positions

Picks a position of those valid positions

spawns a random weapon in that spot.

Before it was spawning the weapons in the middle of the building occasionally, but that was an issue with the script.

The weapons spawn nicely now.

They won't always spawn inside buildings, but also around them. I use the same positions that AI can use.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 AM ----------

Yep, it's working quite well now.

I'll make it so some buildings (IE military) get better and more weapons than normal town buildings. I've been testing on Utes, I'll throw it on Takistan to see how it works with all the different enterable buildings. Then I'll put it into the mission (I have a separate feature testing mission) and test it on there. Probably a 1.0 release on weapons in buildings.

Food and water, not yet.

Damn Craig, that's awesome news! Now I'm even more excited about v1.0 :D

So the working maps will be Utes, Takistan and Zargabad? Will chernarus still work or is it too laggy? :P

Ah ok, yea I read 1.0 will be a as much as possible bug free release, so adding food and water at a later version makes sense.

Keep up the good work man!

wow sounding really good thanks for not quitting on us

thanks

edit

I think I said all ready :P but please make ACE2 an integral part of this mission as it would add so much

For example how cool would it be to use the ACE2 crew served weapons eg my mate carrys the base and I carry the ammo and me other mate carrys the gun we find a nice tall building and mount the gun ontop and use the house as a hide during the night.

in the morning we break the gun down and load all the parts into a truck.

ACE2 morters are like this to plus they reqiure setting up and using range cards I think this would add a really nice feature to this mission :)

Edited by stk2008

Damn Craig, that's awesome news! Now I'm even more excited about v1.0 :D

So the working maps will be Utes, Takistan and Zargabad? Will chernarus still work or is it too laggy? :P

Ah ok, yea I read 1.0 will be a as much as possible bug free release, so adding food and water at a later version makes sense.

Keep up the good work man!

Buddy. It works on ALL THE MAPS. If the map has towns on it, this mission will work. I suppose it doesn't even need towns either... Anybody ever try it on "Sands" by Gnat?

@stk2008

ACE has great features, I know, I play it whenever I'm not making this. I'll add an ACE version once I'm sure 1.0 is stable enough. ACE has so many features that I might have to change DZS to allow for some of those aspects of ACE to be used. Also, then I can know if ACE is causing issues or if my mission is the result of issues. I might release 1.0 with ACE, but it probably won't be at the same time as when I release the CO version of 1.0. But always things can change.

Right now it is a little "up in the air" whether or not I'll be working out of state for the entire week, so that will hinder my development speed. :/

Here is the ticket for the weapons in buildings, it includes the script I used: NOTE: it is not done! https://dev-heaven.net/issues/32590

great thanks I would love an ace2 version.

All the best

Buddy. It works on ALL THE MAPS. If the map has towns on it, this mission will work. I suppose it doesn't even need towns either... Anybody ever try it on "Sands" by Gnat?

I mean the whole mission, not just the weapons :p Because on "Desert" for example, you spawn way outside of the map area, and no vehicles!

I would love to make a edited version of Desert with bases and shit. (That map is small, but that's perfect for COOP, also it keeps the player together so less lag and more zombies!)

Oh okay, well maps towns work, but desert has no towns. Vehicles can still spawn by the oil tower on desert, but that's it, because there are no buildings. So I guess it isn't ALL THE MAPs.

Dude, go for it. Make an edited version. Utes works good too for small engagements. I bet shapur works nice too.

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

Now the weapons have a 1 in 25 chance (4%) of spawning two weapons. It always spawns 1 magazine, but may spawn up to 6. Should I make a rare chance of it spawning a lot of weapons/magazines, Aka a cache of some sort?

Here are some screenshots in my dropbox gallery: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/6891307/1/MoreDZSpics?h=944c7f

Now I'm going to make it so military buildings will have a chance of more weapons spawning in them.

How about one of those weapon racks sitting against the wall? That would be pretty cool.

Edited by bobtom

Well if you fix so you always spawn within the map area on desert, or so you never spawn in the water on utes (i think that happend last time i tried it) I might give it a go. Tho all I could manage atm is to add some static vehicles and bases or something like that :P haha

Hmm, in normal weapon spawnpoints there should just be 1 weapon and up to 6 magazines. But in places such as military bases there should only be caches.

Just make sure there are a few spread out rather than 1 big cache. So at airfields spawn 2 - 5 caches with 2 - 5 weapons each maybe. (So each cache have a chance of spawning, which makes it more dynamic at the same time)

Idk about the weapon racks, but if you manage to fix it make sure to share a picture :D

Btw, if you still use the random zombie hordes could you add an option to enable/disable them?

Edited by ErikPutz

wow this is shaping up to be awesome I cant wait to play COOP again with me mates

Well if you fix so you always spawn within the map area on desert, or so you never spawn in the water on utes (i think that happend last time i tried it) I might give it a go. Tho all I could manage atm is to add some static vehicles and bases or something like that :P haha

Hmm, in normal weapon spawnpoints there should just be 1 weapon and up to 6 magazines. But in places such as military bases there should only be caches.

Just make sure there are a few spread out rather than 1 big cache. So at airfields spawn 2 - 5 caches with 2 - 5 weapons each maybe. (So each cache have a chance of spawning, which makes it more dynamic at the same time)

Idk about the weapon racks, but if you manage to fix it make sure to share a picture :D

Btw, if you still use the random zombie hordes could you add an option to enable/disable them?

I guess so, I'll have to change up my player spawning algorithm.

Fix what?

I might get rid of zombie hordes all together, they seem to be causing major FPS issues for server and clients. :/

Picture of multiple weapons in military building at end of gallery:

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/6891307/1/MoreDZSpics?h=944c7f

This is what I have so far for weapon placement in buildings:

private ["_weapon","_mag","_weap","_building","_positions","_posnumber","_rightonthedot","_check1","_marker","_numberOfPositions","_randomnumber","_totalPositionsAvailable"];

//Here are the weapons, placeholder for intro to DZS
CVG_weapons = ["m24","m40a3","m107","m4spr","glock17_EP1","DMR","smaw","smaw","BAF_AS50_scoped","BAF_AS50_TWS","BAF_L110A1_Aim","BAF_L7A2_GPMG","BAF_L85A2_RIS_ACOG","BAF_L85A2_RIS_CWS","BAF_L85A2_RIS_Holo","m1014","m1014","m1014","m1014","BAF_L85A2_RIS_SUSAT","m8_carbine_pmc","m8_carbineGL","m8_SAW","m8_sharpshooter","m8_compact","BAF_L85A2_UGL_ACOG","AA12_PMC","m8_compact_pmc","BAF_L85A2_UGL_Holo","m8_holo_sd","BAF_L85A2_UGL_SUSAT","BAF_L86A2_ACOG","m8_tws_sd","BAF_LRR_scoped","m8_tws","BAF_LRR_scoped_W","colt1911","m9","m9sd","m16a2","m16a2gl","m16a4","m16a4_gl","m16a4_acg","m16a4_acg_gl","m4a1","m4a1_aim","m4A1_AIM_camo","SCAR_H_CQC_CCO_SD","SCAR_H_STD_EGLM_Spect","SCAR_H_STD_TWS_SD","Sa58P_EP1","Sa58V_EP1","Sa58V_RCO_EP1","Sa58V_CCO_EP1","SCAR_H_LNG_Sniper","SCAR_H_LNG_Sniper_SD","SCAR_L_STD_HOLO","SCAR_L_STD_Mk4CQT","SCAR_H_CQC_CCO","M4A1_AIM_SD_camo","SCAR_L_STD_EGLM_TWS","M4A1_HWS_GL","m4a1_hws_gl_camo","m4a1_hws_gl_sd_camo","m4a1_rco_gl","m8_carbine","m8_carbinegl","m8_compact","m8_sharpshooter","m240_scoped_EP1","M249_EP1","M249_m145_EP1","M110_TWS_EP1","m107_TWS_EP1","M249_TWS_EP1","M60A4_EP1","Mk_48_DES_EP1","g36a","g36k","g36c","g36_c_sd_eotech","mp5a5","mp5sd","m1014","MG36_camo","m249","m240","mk_48","mg36","m1014","m8_saw","M14_EP1","M4A3_RCO_GL_EP1","M4A3_CCO_EP1","SCAR_L_CQC_CCO_SD","SCAR_L_CQC","SCAR_L_CQC_Holo","SCAR_L_CQC_EGLM_Holo","SCAR_L_STD_EGLM_RCO"];
militaryWeaponBuildings = ["Land_Barrack2_EP1","Land_Barrack2","Land_Hlidac_budka","Land_Mil_ControlTower","Land_Mil_ControlTower_EP1","Land_Mil_Barracks_i","Land_Mil_Barracks_L","Land_Mil_Barracks","Land_LHD_house_1","Land_LHD_house_2","Land_a_stationhouse"];

//Find all the buildings
buildings = nearestObjects [[0,0], ["house"], 60000];
{
   //building is the current building selected in the forEach loop
   _building = _x;
   //Find the positions, function by Rube
   _positions = _building call fn_getBuildingPositions;
   //check if that chosen position is an empty array, with array compare function
   _check1 = [_positions, []] call arrayCompare;
   if (!_check1) then {
       if ((typeOf _building) in militaryWeaponBuildings) then {
           if (count _positions > 1) then {
               _numberOfPositions = 0;
               _randomnumber = (1+(floor (random (count _positions))));
               _totalPositionsAvailable = (_positions);
               while {_numberOfPositions <= _randomnumber} do {
                   _posnumber = floor (random (count _totalPositionsAvailable));
                   _rightonthedot = _totalPositionsAvailable select _posnumber;
                   //spawn the weapons randomly
                   _weapon = CVG_Weapons call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
                   //find that weapons magazines
                   _mag=(getArray (configFile/"Cfgweapons"/_weapon/"magazines")) select 0;
                   //create the holder
                   _weap = "weaponHolder" createVehicle [0,0];
                   //add the magazine
                   _weap addMagazineCargo [_mag,1+(floor(random 10))];
                   //add the weapon
                   _weap addWeaponCargo [_weapon,1+(round(random .55))];
                   //set the weapon holder to the position (cant create it on the exact spot, setpos is needed
                   if (((typeOf _building) == ("Land_Mil_Barracks_i")) || ((typeOf _building) == ("Land_Mil_Barracks_i_EP1"))) then {
                       _weap setpos [_rightonthedot select 0, _rightonthedot select 1, (_rightonthedot select 2) - .20];
                   }
                   else
                   {
                       _weap setPos _rightonthedot;
                   };
                   //take another position out of the list:    NOTE! OH CRAP! YOU CAN't REMOVE ARRAYS FROM ARRAYS DAMN IT! WORKAROUND TIME!
                   _totalPositionsAvailable set [_posnumber,20];
                   _totalPositionsAvailable = _totalPositionsAvailable - [20];
                   //add one to the number of positions
                   _numberOfPositions = _numberOfPositions + 1;
               };
           }
           else
           {
               //Pick a random position
               _posnumber = floor (random (count _positions));
               //Select that position
               _rightonthedot = _positions select _posnumber;
               //create the holder
               //add the magazine
               _weap addMagazineCargo [_mag,1+(floor(random 10))];
               //add the weapon
               //set the weapon holder to the position (cant create it on the exact spot, setpos is needed
           };
       } 
       else
       {
           //Pick a random position
           _posnumber = floor (random (count _positions));
           //Select that position
           _rightonthedot = _positions select _posnumber;
           //create the holder
           //add the magazine
           _weap addMagazineCargo [_mag,1+(floor(random 5))];
           //add the weapon
           _marker=createMarker [format ["mar%1",random 100000],_rightonthedot];
           _marker setMarkerType "Dot";
           _marker setMarkerColor "ColorBlue";
           _marker setMarkerSize [2,2];
       };
   };
} forEach buildings;

Edited by bobtom