Sign in to follow this  
Cripsis

Unofficial developer physics demonstration

I wonder how well (if at all) these nifty physx effects will translate into online multiplayer gaming...

after all it must be a rather daunting task to keep a coherent game state with every client potentially calculating it's own (accelerated) physics... can't wait for a dev blog on the subject ;)

I wonder how well (if at all) these nifty physx effects will translate into online multiplayer gaming...

after all it must be a rather daunting task to keep a coherent game state with every client potentially calculating it's own (accelerated) physics... can't wait for a dev blog on the subject ;)

Every object is calculated anyway in ArmA 2. Also the ragdolls are easy to produce over network. ArmA 2 already calculates the body movement and sends it over internet to the server. Just add the moving limbs client calculated like every other game ever and you'll have ragdolls with no more network usage than without ragdolls.

This footage is new to me. The physX at 1:27 look sweet, really hope this makes it's way into ARMA3.

tS8mTRqHj40&feature=channel_video_title

It did. Check the E3 GameStar video of ArmA 3. You can find it in the confirmed features list.

Finally they implement a proper physics engine, only to make 70 videos about indestructible crates. Pffffff... :p

On a related note, not anticipating a very high StC score for Arma3.

This footage is new to me. The physX at 1:27 look sweet, really hope this makes it's way into ARMA3.

My main concern is that the physx will make its way into ArmA3 "as is". The physics just seem too slow in my opinion. Looking at the crates bouncing around, it just seems like it needs to be sped up. If they can do that somehow, then it'd be perfect.

My main concern is that the physx will make its way into ArmA3 "as is". The physics just seem too slow in my opinion. Looking at the crates bouncing around, it just seems like it needs to be sped up. If they can do that somehow, then it'd be perfect.

BIS said they'd tweak the weight values appropriately. So maybe there's still hope :yay:

I have to wonder what PhysX will actually bring into ArmA when I see cars being driven into boxes over & over.

But then I see the lorry, with an articulated section, which in turn is towing a trailer, which in turn is holding a drivable Armoured vehicle, and then I know :)

BIS said they'd tweak the weight values appropriately. So maybe there's still hope :yay:

Okay, so the "slow" appearance is determined by weight values? That shouldn't be the case. Everything falls at the same speed... Well, hopefully it gets fixed. Can't wait for ArmA3!

Okay, so the "slow" appearance is determined by weight values? That shouldn't be the case. Everything falls at the same speed...
It's true when there is no air/water

Don't you think it's all for test purposes?

If doors weren't falling off/trembling as easily you wouldn't notice them doing it at all.

Obviously it will be tweaked.

I have to wonder what PhysX will actually bring into ArmA when I see cars being driven into boxes over & over.

But then I see the lorry, with an articulated section, which in turn is towing a trailer, which in turn is holding a drivable Armoured vehicle, and then I know :)

Hopefully vehicles will lose grip driving in muddy/grassy/sand slopes now. That would be one pet peeve gone.

It's true when there is no air/water

But that doesn't apply here.

@metalcraze: There is no certainty that it will be tweaked. We can speculate, but until BIS says that they're tweaking it, then it's just that - speculation.

But that doesn't apply here.

Yes, it does.

Assuming no air by the physics engine would produce very weird effect. Have you seen falling balloon and compare its velocity with falling football ball?

Yes, it does.

Assuming no air by the physics engine would produce very weird effect. Have you seen falling balloon and compare its velocity with falling football ball?

Oh, that's what you mean. Okay, so they're actually including the presence of air in the equation. I thought you were saying like in the real world. TBH, I thought you were just being sarcastic. But, that makes perfect sense. And, yes, a falling football falls faster than a falling balloon because the balloon is lighter and less dense, than air, and so is picked up by the air.

Happens boolshit when the car knocks the humans! His sliding on ground :D

I wonder if the breakforce for objects attached will be user defined an not pre set to a default value. Would be nice if there was another command that would cause an attached object not to break free until this limit is achieved so say a door on a vehicle like that one video couldn't flap open freely until the first value was reached an the door would break off when the breakforce value was reached.

Before you guys blast me for posting this new VBS2 video in the wrong forum please let me explain that the reason I'm posting it here is because I'm almost certain that this is what we can all expect to see in ARMA 3. Hopefully.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bisimmedia#p/c/B231B280A0C83C32/0/fJS35p5g8l8

BIStudio and BISim are seperate entities under the same mega name. ArmA3 is strictly BIStudio and thus nothing from VBS2 is going over to ArmA3. That isn't to say that the two don't share from time to time but don't get your hopes up with watching VBS2 videos of upcoming content and enhancements. VBS2 work is strictly for the VBS2 customer base.

Edited by Vandrel

Happens boolshit when the car knocks the humans! His sliding on ground :D

Is that true boolshit or false boolshit? ;)

Scalar boolshit.

No, no, no, it's obviously boolshitean code. Allow me to demonstrate:

if humanCivvie!=alive then say "Yuh ahr wahn ahgly madahfahka"
sleep 15
response "Booolshit!" && link "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1QzZ15-L38"
wingame=1