Sign in to follow this  
PELHAM

Yet another remake - The Lone Ranger

OMG yes they are remaking this schtick as well. After filming was shut down due to concerns over the $250m (£158.7m) budget. The project is set to go ahead now that costs have been slimmed down.

The Lone Ranger was set for a December 2012 release before Disney pulled the plug. (Just what were they spending the money on, it's a cowboy film?)

Armie Hammer will play the Ranger, while Johnny Depp will appear as his partner Tonto. The film, directed by Gore Verbinski and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, will be released on 31 May 2013.

You will have to excuse me, I really need to go outside and remove my eyes with a tommahawk!

A clip of the original (at least they had a real Native American!)

FC7iUM9L1l4

Hollywood have really run out of ideas haven't they.

Well, most stories get told over and over again since the beginning of mankind.

Hollywood have really run out of ideas haven't they.

^this

Johnny Depp as Tonto? Seriously?

Just what were they spending the money on, it's a cowboy film?

Was a TV show not a movie. I think they should leave the best of history as is, and not make thier crap version of something I had fond memories of as a kid.

I think they need to pick better characters that fit the role first if their going to pull this off.

Danny Trejo as Tonto and Vin Deisel as the lone ranger and ill think about it...

I bet they need the money for some huge explosions... idiots

Haha you think The Lone Ranger remake is bad. Check out this movie: Rome Sweet Rome. Not trying to steal the spotlight or anything like that but I had just been reading this thread and came across this in a different window but didn't think it deserved it's own thread. Although I guess it is an original idea.

Haha you think The Lone Ranger remake is bad. Check out this movie: Rome Sweet Rome. Not trying to steal the spotlight or anything like that but I had just been reading this thread and came across this in a different window but didn't think it deserved it's own thread. Although I guess it is an original idea.

It would depend on the numbers and the competency of the leaders. We have examples of modern battalions meeting iron age natives and being wiped out - eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Isandlwana

article-1305702-009AE66200000259-950_468x369.jpg

The Battle of Isandlwana on 22 January 1879 was the first major encounter in the Anglo-Zulu War between the British Empire and the Zulu Kingdom. Eleven days after the British commenced their invasion of Zululand in South Africa, a Zulu force of some 20,000 warriors attacked a portion of the British main column consisting of about 1,800 British, colonial and native troops and perhaps 400 civilians.[11] The Zulus were equipped mainly with the traditional Assegai iron spears, iklwa, and cow-hide shields,[12] but also had a number of muskets and old rifles[13] though they were not formally trained in their use.[14] The British and colonial troops were armed with the state-of-the-art[15] Martini-Henry breech-loading rifle and two 7 pounder artillery pieces as well as a rocket battery. Despite a vast disadvantage in weapons technology,[16] the numerically superior Zulus ultimately overwhelmed the poorly led and badly deployed[17] British, killing over 1,300 troops, including all those out on the forward firing line. The Zulu army suffered around a thousand killed.[18]

The battle was a crushing victory for the Zulus and caused the defeat of the first British invasion of Zululand.[19] The British army had suffered its worst defeat against a technologically inferior indigenous force.[20] However, Isandlwana resulted in the British taking a much more aggressive approach in the Anglo-Zulu War, leading to a heavily reinforced second invasion[21] and the destruction of King Cetshwayo's hopes of a negotiated peace.

Reasons for the Zulu victory

The primary reason for the Zulu victory is that the Zulus, unlike the British, kept their main fighting force concentrated. Further, they made a very successful effort to conceal the advance and location of this force until they were within a few hours striking distance of their enemy. The British made no such efforts. Finally, when the location of the main Zulu Impi was discovered by British scouts, the Zulus, without hesitation, immediately advanced and attacked, achieving tactical surprise.[85] This tactical surprise prevented the British, although they now had some warning of a Zulu advance, from concentrating their central column. It also left little time and gave scant information for Pulleine to organize a sufficient defence for his command. Simply put, the Zulus had completely outmanoeuvred Chelmsford, and their victory at Isandlwana wrecked the British invasion of Zululand until a second invasion with a far larger British army could be shipped to South Africa.

I'm not feeling too optimistic about a Lone Ranger remake, I don't enjoy being a cynical bastard but it's hard not to feel that way after constantly being dissapointed by all these remake's turning out to be complete and utter duds.

The last western I seen was True Grit in 2010 and it was bloody awesome, fingers crossed that the Lone Ranger surprises me and is as good as True Grit.

I'm not feeling too optimistic about a Lone Ranger remake, I don't enjoy being a cynical bastard but it's hard not to feel that way after constantly being dissapointed by all these remake's turning out to be complete and utter duds.

The last western I seen was True Grit in 2010 and it was bloody awesome, fingers crossed that the Lone Ranger surprises me and is as good as True Grit.

True Grit is that rarest of things: a remake that is better than the classic original.

There was a Japanese kinda version movie out there, a JSDF platoon got caught up in some kind of light show and sent back to sengoku period, kinda Final Countdown style... i think the movie name was Sengoku Jietai...

If there isn't a twist to it and you never see the people they fight, until the very end its revealed as an alien race, then its not worth making.

It has to be "Now" and "Current" ... :)