Sign in to follow this  
Col.

Cook. American Big City

I think the way I'd tackle buildings is to make foyers enterable then think about other areas that might be interesting ie, penthose appartments, a few levels of exec offices, roofs etc. But leave the bulk unenterable.

A bigger question is how to incorporate damage to the buildings. Obviously there will some issues if you have to use multiple segments to achieve the height, but i think a respectable effect can could be achieved if you use mostly damage textures for the lower sections and use the hidden selection method exclusively for the top components.

Missing out on a 'twin towers' level of destruction is no big deal. As it is infact quite difficult to get traditionaly constructed buildings to fall over to that degree. And that level of destruction on the recomended map size would be game over anyways.

cant wait for this good job

atleast 1 year even 2.

You need all new models etc.

Then build then map.

That is nothing you build in 2 weeks or even 2 month or 6 month.

Only thing I can say is really Good luck.

Hiring: A guy with photoshop.

Need to 16bit Grayscale the sat_lco, make the mask. Just that, nothing more.

hiring means you paying. next question would be how much...:rolleyes:

on a more serious note, you can do everything one can with PS using GIMP.

I'm pretty sure when this is released people will attempt to crash planes into buildings. Also, how will it be like on the streets level? I hope it doesn't feel as empty as the cities in Arma 2. But I'm guessing its hard to do it like GTA4.

I'm pretty sure when this is released people will attempt to crash planes into buildings. Also, how will it be like on the streets level? I hope it doesn't feel as empty as the cities in Arma 2. But I'm guessing its hard to do it like GTA4.

People crash planes all the time in Arma2. There's no accounting for bad piloting.

Abs

hiring means you paying. next question would be how much...:rolleyes:

on a more serious note, you can do everything one can with PS using GIMP.

Oh! Many thanks :D

What's wrong with crashing planes into buildings in order to get the desired effect - bring down enemy troops / cause panic / divert ppl from real truth? We do it in A2 all the time - even drive a civilian chopper into an enemy armored unit harrasing our infantry, its called tactics y'know...

p.s. if you're thinking 9/11, here's a few tips:

1) stop confusing RL with a game

2) remember that this is a game simulating war

3) simulating war means living through nasty things and thus training can maybe prepare us better when something like that happens in RL (how you react, how to survive)

4) remember that this is a game where you/one side can always play bad guys ie. kill hookers, set bombs to civilian targets, drive a IED truck into a school, assasinate a president of Lingor island etc.

5) ask BIS to remove a possibility of setting IEDs because they are a terrorist act and you can't stand that

6) tattoo a 12/7/41 into your forhead just in case you forgot Pearl Harbour...

Otherwise, can't wait to see the new buildings, new environment to train my fellow "soldiers" in ;) hooah!

What's wrong with crashing planes into buildings in order to get the desired effect - bring down enemy troops / cause panic / divert ppl from real truth? We do it in A2 all the time - even drive a civilian chopper into an enemy armored unit harrasing our infantry, its called tactics y'know...

p.s. if you're thinking 9/11, here's a few tips:

1) stop confusing RL with a game

2) remember that this is a game simulating war

3) simulating war means living through nasty things and thus training can maybe prepare us better when something like that happens in RL (how you react, how to survive)

4) remember that this is a game where you/one side can always play bad guys ie. kill hookers, set bombs to civilian targets, drive a IED truck into a school, assasinate a president of Lingor island etc.

5) ask BIS to remove a possibility of setting IEDs because they are a terrorist act and you can't stand that

6) tattoo a 12/7/41 into your forhead just in case you forgot Pearl Harbour...

Otherwise, can't wait to see the new buildings, new environment to train my fellow "soldiers" in ;) hooah!

Was this even necessary? Were you an American, you wouldn't have even posted this. Bottom line, it's offensive. The problem is when the desired effect is to kill innocent civilians. No problem when trying to kill enemy troops. But, yeah, it is effective to eliminate the enemy. Did that on Qom to take out a whole lot of enemy. Accidentally killed some of my men, too... Can't wait for this map though (assuming it ever gets off the ground).

Was this even necessary? Were you an American, you wouldn't have even posted this. Bottom line, it's offensive. The problem is when the desired effect is to kill innocent civilians. No problem when trying to kill enemy troops. But, yeah, it is effective to eliminate the enemy. Did that on Qom to take out a whole lot of enemy. Accidentally killed some of my men, too... Can't wait for this map though (assuming it ever gets off the ground).

Please, this is a game. I really don't understand why some of you take everything as offensive.

For instance, the following is quoting a fact (well which is true unless you extend it). It is advertising in the end:

I guess some people just can't deal with something (whatever it may be) and feel the need to call it offensive.

So it happened, ok, move on please, no need to bash a new idea for a map.

Wat?

Update:

Map is starting to take shape. 6x6 m.

-pic temporary down-

Small pic to the left is the reference used in Willbur. And reference to see if the map need some more brush in Willbur, what do you guys think(Ah jshit that question, it's seriously damn small)

Now some more texturing, and coding again( and with coding I mean Config.ccp etc), and then it's time to start to build the city.

Greetings,

Col.:)

Edited by Col.

May I ask what you guys are talking 'bout? :P

May I ask what you guys are talking 'bout? :P

You should ask a mod to clean your topic from all those offtopic posts.

Col.: interesting, you're starting with a map but objects make up to 80% of it? What is the progress on those?

Col.: interesting, you're starting with a map but objects make up to 80% of it? What is the progress on those?
Credits:

Urban Pack by Charon

BISstudio for the awesome game and tools

GLT Signs by Myke

TKS Buildnings by Takko

:p

I´d suggest also using Mondkalbs buildings, and AGS Port v1.4, AGS Roads v1.3, AGS Buildings v1.4, AGS Industrial v1.4 - even if some of it doesn´t resemble the actual place, it´s still nice to have a wide variety of buildings rather than repeated use of the same over and over again.

I'm happy to see a US map being made. Maybe this one will make it to the finale, unlike some previous attempts to do one.

May I ask the specific location you've shown in the first post? Can't find any mention of it on the last 5 pages, but would surely like to have a look in GE's street-view to get a general idea. Thanks in advance.

As I first saw it I hoped this would be a Bronx map - which would probably be the easiest thing to do.

- not too many monumental or official buildings

- rather low buildings, plus some abandoned ones, ruins or industrial structures etc. (which would make them actually usable, unlike any scyscrappers)

- using sections of walls with contemporary street art for the modern feel

- a general war-zone feel to the whole -> no offense meant here for any New Yorkers, as I'm simply referring to all those decayed areas of Bronx only

example1

example2

example3

- oh, and it has a Zoo, which would be a unique and interesting fight scene

well, just google for Bronx, urban decay or similar to see what I mean.

PS:

Try contacting Simba (it may be a hard task...), as he made a very original buildings pack for ArmA 1; he never finished it, it's lacking collison, shadows or some lods, so some work would be required, but a lot of structures may be of good use I believe (especially the bridges)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3071

If this works the only thing we will be short on is Snake Plisskin

Oh and topas, I know you didn't intend it. But I'll take your post as a reminder to give it some thought ;)

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

:)

Oooops....Now I see the original post edited by the author on September 12th (about it all being a generic big city project now)... Well, NYC or not, thumbs up and fingers crossed!

Shall you fail at recreating a large city (which I do hope you won't!), a smaller scaled US map, with some nice atmosphere would be a way to go too. Maybe Camden, NJ? ;)

(I'd love to attach an offer to help to some degree here, but am simply not able to atm...)

Edited by topas

Many thanks for tips!

Will take a look at the buildnings and roads.

War zone? Hmmm... If I success, a War-zone version of it will come!:p

Updates will come later.

"May I ask the specific location you've shown in the first post? Can't find any mention of it on the last 5 pages, but would surely like to have a look in GE's street-view to get a general idea. Thanks in advance"

Well, Wall Street, Trinity, Ground Zero, Park City etc.

Oh, and about enter-able houses, there might be some, but few.

Edited by Col.

Camden? camden is the east coat's compton. There are no gangster units in arma 2.. yet..

I'm happy to see a US map being made. Maybe this one will make it to the finale, unlike some previous attempts to do one.

May I ask the specific location you've shown in the first post? Can't find any mention of it on the last 5 pages, but would surely like to have a look in GE's street-view to get a general idea. Thanks in advance.

As I first saw it I hoped this would be a Bronx map - which would probably be the easiest thing to do.

- not too many monumental or official buildings

- rather low buildings, plus some abandoned ones, ruins or industrial structures etc. (which would make them actually usable, unlike any scyscrappers)

- using sections of walls with contemporary street art for the modern feel

- a general war-zone feel to the whole -> no offense meant here for any New Yorkers, as I'm simply referring to all those decayed areas of Bronx only

example1

example2

example3

- oh, and it has a Zoo, which would be a unique and interesting fight scene

well, just google for Bronx, urban decay or similar to see what I mean.

PS:

Try contacting Simba (it may be a hard task...), as he made a very original buildings pack for ArmA 1; he never finished it, it's lacking collison, shadows or some lods, so some work would be required, but a lot of structures may be of good use I believe (especially the bridges)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3071

The pics you have of the Bronx are all old I just drove thru all those areas at one time or another this week. Those shots are from the 1980s. You want war torn do LA.:)

Thx, I was, to a degree, aware of this, as the pics I browsed were signed and I do know that the area is being heavily revitalised. But it seemed more fitting and interesting for an ArmA map. Plus, it's not supposed to be NY anymore, but a western big city, so why not ;)