Sign in to follow this  
Cripsis

Wargame: European Escalation Gameplay

They aren't totally useless. Just not very useful. The game is actually pretty fun. Still too much spamming but not as bad as I originally made it seem.

So far, I've got a pretty positive opinion of the game.

I dealt with an arty and heli spammer in the last game I played, just moved my units out of the FOB area quickly. His arty were stuck across the map, and therefore not very accurate, and he'd dropped most of his deployment points in them and FOBs for ammo. My 6 mobile pieces, on the other hand, accompanied by supply trucks, were able to effectively engage enemy forces and stay mobile to avoid counter-battery fire. The AAA units are effective enough to counter heli-spam, too, and a player who thinks they can effectively win a game with massed arty and choppers is going to find themselves fighting a large combined arms force of cheap units.

The fog of war factor is really well done, too, keeping units in reserve can make or break an engagement, and the infantry are great for setting up an ambush secondary to a tactical retreat, especially the ones armed with guided missile emplacements. I just played a game as the USSR side with no unlocks, and pretty well carried my team through to the win.

I almost never pre-order anything, and I'm glad I did this one. The multiplayer is a lot of fun, and hopefully the SP campaign will offer some strategic depth and force you to think tactically.

Grey areas in the victory conditions are a nice touch, too, it's neat to see a match end in a near victory vs an overwhelming victory, and the replays are pretty illuminating when you're looking at ways people try and exploit certain unit types so you can develop counters.

I might be a bit biased, I used to do S2 stuff for a living, and a game that lets me use key terrain and deceptive tactics is going to score extra points in my book.

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:20 ----------

One more note, I'd like to see some kind of tech level restriction in the final game, as it is, the infantry IS kind of useless unless you're using it with ATGMs to cover withdrawing armor, and so I haven't seen infantry on infantry engagements. But there are a LOT of light units like troop transports and M113 mortar carriers, so being able to limit unit types in custom games and a few smaller maps would be great.

Yeah I'm really loving this game. Must have been having a bad day when I first played or something because I don't know what I was thinking. Anyone wants to get a game in let me know.

I havent played WEE as I havent bought it but I remember how the infantry behaved in RUSE. I'm not sure how similar they are to eachother, but infantry always seemed kind of weak in RUSE.

But that was untill you park them somewhere in the woods or a town centre, because then they would utterly rape everything they got the drop on. Many people didnt expect this so I used them to good effect in MP, as long as I was playing agressively and I got them out of sight before the enemy could notice them.

Infantry does have its place in this game, but they are easily destroyed once located. You can deploy AT or AA infantry that aren't necessarily strong but have a good range. There is much more to infantry in this one than RUSE. Really, this game is not much like RUSE at all.

Just found a great use for infantry. AA infantry in the woods are invisible until they're SHOOTING DOWN ALL YOUR CHOPPERS. Just awesome stuff, a really well put together wargame with realistic weapons and pacing. Best since Close Combat, and dethrones Company of Heroes for modern RTS.

If you're in the military and have ever had to do any planning at all, you're going to love this game. Never played a strategy game where holding key terrain was more important than squatting an objective point.

Yeah, I must have been drunk the first time I played. This game is probably my new favorite.

I also bought this tonight and feels excelent. Usually RTS games are reaction tests, but this is played with tactic skills like combat mission serie. Very great so far. A true PC-game and without publisher having negative effect on it.

I've picked it up. It would appear that a well-balanced force is pretty much a must, as well as keeping your units and unit types within support distance of each other while on the move. I like it insofar.

I also bought this tonight and feels excelent. Usually RTS games are reaction tests, but this is played with tactic skills like combat mission serie. Very great so far. A true PC-game and without publisher having negative effect on it.

I couldn't agree more with your reaction comment. I love not having to click as fast as I can at the start to rush units out. It's actual battle strategy that counts, not twitch clicking. This is the ArmA of RTS games to me.

Can anyone tell me if this game has/will have skirmish mode? You know, playing vs. AI or just campaign.

Can anyone tell me if this game has/will have skirmish mode? You know, playing vs. AI or just campaign.

it does have a singleplayer mode from what i can see in youtube videos, the pre-order beta doesnt have this option open

i would say that there is V AI battles and a campaign

I made a gameplay video of my latest 2vs2 match that I lost, but had much fun:

I was the blue group that tried to hide in thin treeline and constantly got bombed by artillery. Still I got some enemy tanks destroyed as well. :) Great game.

Edited by SaOk

Check your video card drivers, also I had trouble getting it started until I disabled 3d vision. I guess it doesn't play nice (Which is fine, that shit melts my eyeballs in most games) with 3dvision.

Reading through this whole topic I already wanted to purchase the pre order beta. Then I found out you need Steam :(

Is there any information if there is going to be a version of this game which will not require Steam?

I have not seen any.

They're not going to reset anything after release are they? Like decks and such.

really reminds me on improved World In Conflict (there are one or two awesome mods for WiC which turn the game to strategist heaven)

really reminds me on improved World In Conflict (there are one or two awesome mods for WiC which turn the game to strategist heaven)

Wich ones?

Wich ones?

Modern Warfare 2.0 is one of them (i forgot the name of the second one but i'm sure it's on ModDB too)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/wicmw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYGB1dyFICk

more videos http://www.youtube.com/user/blahdy21/videos

it's one of best mods i see in long time in terms of overall quality and complexity in scripting all the features (linked radars for anti-air defence etc)

I might try WiC again for those. I hated WiC when I played it before.

WiC SP was great - really loved it.

WiC MP tended to devolve into a contest between who could field the most heavy tanks and heavy air at one time.

In this european escalation, I´ve already seen quite suprising ways to play. Yesterday one team-mate built around 50-80 cheap rifle squads that he spread around the map (edges). I though he was joking (since I made few mistakes at start and we had only one zone captured, and even lost it early), but once he began to attack with those, the victory came fast. Still the opponents were playing quite poor too, my one AA-guy dropped at least 5 cobras and they constantly attacked with tanks very close each other which could be easily scared with arty.

But of the best aspects in this game is the possibility to play in different way. And you dont need to be fast. Someone said the leading player in league make only 12 clicks in minute (I make 9.8) while in starcraft 2 the best (koreans) use 200-300 clicks in minute.

wargame2012022022501252.jpg

Excelent game, and it only gets better.

Edited by SaOk

This game looks interesting. I havent played a RTS/RTT in a while. The last one was WiC where I had a lot of fun playing CWs and later Match Making when CWs were harder to find.

WiC SP was great - really loved it.

WiC MP tended to devolve into a contest between who could field the most heavy tanks and heavy air at one time.

Public MP was really bad most of the time. One experienced CW player on one side could usually dominate the opposing team and ruin it for everyone (not to mention all the idiots who had no clue what to do). CWs and MM on the other hand were something completely different. You played much more as a team and you gave a rats ass about score - only winning was important which changed the gameplay a lot. CWs were much more fun and made me a lot better at WiC.