Sign in to follow this  
mondkalb

MBG_Killhouses

@Galzohar: He posted a couple of screenshots with a unit in a doorway in the WIP Thread.

Heya, here's a little WIP of mine. It is - I know I know... - yet another building pack. But this time Kill Houses.

Features include breachable doors, rooms and halls wide enough to cope with ArmA's collision model, and breachable wall segments.

arma2oa2011082519203309.th.jpg

arma2oa2011082519204396.th.jpgarma2oa2011082519223371.th.jpg

arma2oa2011082519210109.th.jpgarma2oa2011082519221478.th.jpg

I am planning on creating a minimum of 5 unique buildings, and, depending on my time, maybe up to 9 different kill houses. This will probably be released together with a small training area of the size of Shapur or Proving grounds.

Also I am cooperating with some of the big Realism / MilSim units out there in the field to be able to tailor this addon straight to the needs of this particular aspect of gameplay.

:bounce3:

If I've got some spare time and Mondkalb is happy with it I'll try and get some screen shots of the buildings being used in testing this evening.

Good stuff Mondkalb. Love the details you put in it.

's a vid of a combined exercise between Dutch and Royal Marines in a urban environment.

Next time you take screenshots, could you please also place a soldier or something so we can get an idea of how big/small stuff are?

The dimensions are generally a little bit larger than BIS structures, but they still feel like they're a realistically proportioned size and not just totally huge (especially in first person). You don't get any of the problems of hanging up on small doors/windows/whatever and it means you can actually get ordnance through the windows/doors without feeling like you've got to hit a target the size of a 10p piece

's a vid of a combined exercise between Dutch and Royal Marines in a urban environment.

By the looks of it that's Imber, on Salisbury Plain.

Rather than being a planned OBUA village like Copehill Down, many of the buildings there were actual homes and farm buildings before the War Office evicted the residents during WW2, so I'm not sure that a lot of the buildings there would be suitable for Mondkalb's project. Internally they're a lot more like derelict buildings than what he seems to have in mind; though they have been modified to suit training purposes.

The small, skeletal, block houses with corrugated metal roofs that you can see were built by the Ministry of Defence afterwards, to extend the village. Those ones are probably more appropriate reference.

Here's a small update:

I've created highly accurate editor-icons for all buildings and wall segments.

The small triangle in the middle shows you where to grab the object.

awesome mondkalb!! exactly that is how buidling icons of such big buildings should look like! good work, keep it up =)

The dimensions are generally a little bit larger than BIS structures, but they still feel like they're a realistically proportioned size and not just totally huge (especially in first person). You don't get any of the problems of hanging up on small doors/windows/whatever and it means you can actually get ordnance through the windows/doors without feeling like you've got to hit a target the size of a 10p piece

I hope that the research done in that aspect (collisions - playability vs visual fidelity) will we able to be put to use on future building packs. I wouldn' t mind real houses (as in, not made for cqb training houses) with slightly oversized doorways, windows, staircases...etc if it means better playability thanks to less collision issues to put all that training to good use, as long as it doesn' t look ridiculously huge of course. But on the comparaison screens that Mondkalb provided it doesn' t look bad at all, it seems like you guys found the right ratio.:cool:

Here are some guide values I have been using throughout the recent building packs:

MBG_Buildings_3 and previous:

• Roomheight: 2.8
  • Storyheight: 3m
  • Doorwidth: 1.1m (excluding Doorframe)
  • Windowheight: 1m
  • Stairwaylength: 4m
  • Stairwaywidth: 1.5m]
  • Wallwidth: 0.25m

MBG_Killhouses

• Roomheight: 3m
  • Storyheight: 3.3m
  • Doorwidth: 1.3m (excluding Doorframe)
  • Stairwaywidth: 1.5m
  • Wallwidth: 0.3m

Those are really ridiculous values compared to real-life, but they are excellent ingame.

How will we go about placing the units? They are always all over the place for me.

Mondkalb has provided a very generous number of building positions in each of the buildings so using these to setpos your units gives you a more than acceptable number of configurations.

Here are some guide values I have been using throughout the recent building packs:

MBG_Buildings_3 and previous:

• Roomheight: 2.8
  • Storyheight: 3m
  • Doorwidth: 1.1m (excluding Doorframe)
  • Stairwaywidth: 1.5m]
  • Wallwidth: 0.25m

MBG_Killhouses

• Roomheight: 3m
  • Storyheight: 3.3m
  • Doorwidth: 1.3m (excluding Doorframe)
  • Stairwaywidth: 1.5m
  • Wallwidth: 0.3m

Those are really ridiculous values compared to real-life, but they are excellent ingame.

the architect within speaking: ahhh...no, they aren't...really. Besides the doorway (which is larger than most RL ones even for BIS), but 1.1 and 1.3 are still very much plausible (my entrance door is 1.2m for instance)

Edited by PuFu

hehe, I can tell you as a Building Designer, the reality is at times, doors are so tight that larger folk do get caught up on them. Hang some webbing on them, and give them a weapon and I bet the BIS doors are not so far from reality as many think.

Not that that is any excuse. It will never feel right because there is of course no sense of friction or resistance. Information that can be very usefull in those sorts of situations

Is it possible for you to make the building of Osama Bin Laden as a killhouse?

I'm working on a floor plan using available material as well as doing an editor template of the compound if I find some time, though whether or not Mondkalb brings it to fruition is another matter, the man is powering through these buildings.

Edited by ToadBall

'insert MBG's latest pics'

Now your teasing ;)

looking spot on.

Have you thought of throwing a few paint spots up? I'm aware that some groups use powder charged paint markers for training with live adversaries.

I'm really liking the idea of Osama's Residence Building.

My current work-plan is to do three more buildings, totaling 8 unique buildings.

I hope all of you won't be cross with me If I'll only recreate two of your suggested building layouts, one being a suggestion by Porter 707 which I really like because of it's simplicity. (Okay, okay... you got me. But ain't I allowed to be lazy once in a while?) and the other being the Bin Laden Residence.

Toadball is currently cranking the internet-wheel hard to find proper details about that building to provide me with floor plans, which he has done so far with all the buildings I made. So heads up mate and thanks!

Edited by Mondkalb

Also, MBG, what are your planned building sizes? Will it be kept at this size or will you have more building of different sizes? Also, if you noticed, in some desert maps (Like Fallujah) There's a construction site model building in the map, which is quite open, making it a ideal building for CQB. I'll try to get a picture for you.

Another interesting question - How well should we expect those to work with the random town generator? :)

I would suggest a few generic warehouses. Maybe with a few side rooms. but just empty. This would allow Misson makers to place objects and units within them.

Also have breachable skylights where you can fastrope down if needed. Would be cool.

Don't troll me too much for wanting to have some harmless fun.

Cant view that video in Jerry-Land. Stupid GEMA....

But having a warehouse definitely sounds good, though probably I'd be using the BIS warehouse on the map instead of making a custom-built one.

Well I was thinking something just 4 walls, nothing fancy maybe a office building in 1 corner. Just big open interior where you could place cargo containers and such in the editor and if you are feeling fancy maybe a way to come through the skylights in the roof.

Here is a better idea of what I was thinking...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royalewitcheez1/5628371166/

http://www.inc.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/preview/slideshows/16_above_park.jpg

MS PAINT MOCKUPS (for the win)

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/Blackfox34/Warehouse.png

http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz108/Blackfox34/Untitled.png

I feel that the current Warehouses in game are lacking. They don't need to be detailed and I feel like they would be relatively easy for a modeler of your caliber. A gigantic rectangle with a roof and maybe a few offices upstairs or below.

The misson makers can add in the obstacles and the goodies after to make uniquely designed obstacles each time. Would be great for practicing movement with larger entry teams and such.

You sold the idea to me. :cool: