Sign in to follow this  
theblessedpig

CryEngine 3 SDK Released for Free

Article @ crydev.net covering the release

“With the release of our SDK we encourage creators to try out CryENGINE 3 and hope it will lead to new companies being formed and using our engine. More importantly we expect to increase the talent pool for CryENGINE developers, as well as boosting our online community of users. This SDK contains more toys than we’ve ever released before – it empowers people to create whole new games from scratch, not just mod Crytek’s own games, so we encourage all aspiring and indie developers to try it out.†said Carl Jones, Director of Global Business Development CryENGINE.

“For those who want to make the step into commercial gaming, we’ll offer a royalty-only license model for games made with this SDK, where Crytek require only 20% of the developer’s revenues from the commercial launch of their game.â€

CryDev

Nice to see this SDK ,but Crytek require only 20% of the developer’s revenues is meh (why not 100% ey Crytek)

Then i can better buy the CryEngine 2/3 license

Yea, I would consider this SDK to be for new indie developers. To make their first games, learn how a game engine looks like and how it works and then eventually creating their own engine.

Well 20% arent nice but hey its a engine with high potencial and most important its free at first so if your project fails in getting done you at least didnt had to pay for the engine.

And if you make a really good one then hey, 20% for crytek and still 80% for you, or well a good bit less after Steam and others get their share.

Anyone wants to make a russians at war mod? 80s Afghanistan, that would be neat ;)

20% of POSSIBLE sales, but no incipient investments doesn't sound all that bad if you ask me

well, from my understanding, ALL free SDKs out there (valves, UDK, unity and now Crysis,) are FREE to use unless you go commercially (paid mod of game X, or stand alone game).

20% is nothing when you consider that to develop an engine from scratch of that quality would probaly take up 80% of the total time spent developing a game.

I think this is a good deal actually. 20% for a perfectly tuned engine with cross platform support which is being updated constantly. And you can always develop freeware games with it for your own pleasure.

I think this is a good deal actually. 20% for a perfectly tuned engine with cross platform support which is being updated constantly. And you can always develop freeware games with it for your own pleasure.

Hmmmm kinda sounds like another engine that has been free to use for a while, oh wait, yes that's the Unreal 3 engine.

Still haven't seen any decent mods or games on any of crytek's new engines (besides that mech warrior one). Besides that, what has anybody done with it?

What about Warface? Or that RealTime Immersive Inc. simulator?

Crytek's Asian Cod style game and Crytek's Mil sim - bad examples imho - yes they are nice (mean graphics and effects) ,but that's all

Edited by RobertHammer

20% is not bad at all considering some engines run up to a million dollars per commercial launch.

I believe Unreal Engine 3 before it was made free aswell was around 500k.

I wonder how well this would work for some simple side scrolling RPG mechanics.

I have to find a contender to replace RPG maker 2000 since it wont work on me vistas 64 :(

I have to find a contender to replace RPG maker 2000 since it wont work on me vistas 64 :(

:yay: Another 2D RPG fan :yay:

Nice to see this SDK ,but Crytek require only 20% of the developer’s revenues is meh (why not 100% ey Crytek)

Then i can better buy the CryEngine 2/3 license

They give it away for free and you are complaining about revenues?

Well (hoping this will not turn into an "USE CRYENGINE FOR ARMA 3" conversation) I would highly appreciate to see some arma 2 units in cryengine 3!

:yay: Another 2D RPG fan :yay:

Man RPG's arent the same anymore it really is sad.

The game i was developing was in WIP for about 7 years. Ah those were the good days.

Got my inspiration for the game from Xenogears.

Man RPG's arent the same anymore it really is sad.

The game i was developing was in WIP for about 7 years. Ah those were the good days.

Got my inspiration for the game from Xenogears.

Never owned a PSX and i hadn't heard of that game either. Sad to hear that you cannot finish your game :(