Sign in to follow this  
roberthammer

ARMA 2: OA beta build 83740

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

[83726] Fixed: Lipsync for radio not working. 
[83721] Fixed: AI no longer seeing through dense grass ([url="http://dev-heaven.net/issues/5785"]http://dev-heaven.net/issues/5785[/url])

Edited by RobertHammer

Some more fixes from CIT:

[83724] First aid simulation animations broken (beta 83569) Bug #23385

[83717] Commands such as Say, say3D and DirectSay crashing game in v.83657 Bug #23476

Please, test esp. the impact of grass visibility testing. If you see some cases where AI is "blind", report it here or on the CIT.

Oh, awesome. Just awesome. Very well explained thread on the CIT too.

Seems to work out pretty good. Having a really weird issue though. On Chernarus main airport, place yourself and Tunguska on opposite sides of runway. 3000 viewdistance should be sufficient, and make sure weather is all good. Reveal yourself to the tunguska, and set him to suppressFor for a good while. Two bugs occur:

1) Despite good viewing distance and tunguska knowsAbout player yields 1, he doesn't open fire on me. I need to fire on him to get his attention. Or I have to get really really close to him.

2) But when he do fire at me, his bullets land some 50 meters in front of me. It's not limited to being prone though.

Seems to be a difference if I move or stand still. If going prone in grass close to him, he stops shooting. I don't think proning in grass should affect vehicles ability to see us, as they're in a pretty elevated position already (if that is even the problem).

Edited by CarlGustaffa

From my personal testings i feel you should tweak the grass density somewhat lower, it feels to me that there are gonna be some situations where they should see you and do nothing.

I would say the sweet spot would be lowering about 10 to 20% of what the grass density is now, and we can probably move forward!!

Anyway, i have to say this is an awesome effort. Thank you!

Edited by CarlosTex
Bad spelling

From my personal testings i feel you should tweak the grass density somewhat lower, it feels to me that there are gonna be some situations where they should see you and do nothing.

If you have such situation, please, post either the repro or units coordinates, so that I can check it.

AI tanks seem to spot other AI tanks really poorly now. Sometimes they even drive next to each other without reaction. I saw M1A1 blindly standing still on takistan sand land (with sparse grass), T34 noticing it finally few meters away. I was also laying still on takistan sand land. 3 enemy tanks moved only under 100m away, but they didnt spot me until I started to crawl. Also then the very nearby T34 didnt spot me until after about 20 seconds.

AI AT-soldiers also seem to react on enemy tanks more poorly than before. Tanks seem to be half-invisible for AI.

Edited by SaOk

Simple demo mission with repro steps - is it that hard to understand?

AI tanks seem to spot other AI tanks really poorly now. Sometimes they even drive next to each other without reaction. I saw M1A1 blindly standing still on takistan sand land (with sparse grass), T34 noticing it finally few meters away. I was also laying still on takistan sand land. 3 enemy tanks moved only under 100m away, but they didnt spot me until I started to crawl. Also then the very nearby T34 didnt spot me until after about 20 seconds.

AI AT-soldiers also seem to react on enemy tanks more poorly than before. Tanks seem to be half-invisible for AI.

I did a simple test two opposing tanks about 100 meters apart, the turrets rotate in a rather jerky fashion until they spot each other and that's all they do, there is no firing of weapons.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/linb0e

If you make yourself the gunner you hear the commander spot the tank instantly so I don't know why the AI take an age to rotate the gun, it should turn at max speed.

I've also noticed that AI no longer attack a truck when it's grouped to infantry, as I wasn't keen on that anyway I don't see it as a problem but I suspect it's a bug.

Actually AI are rarely engaging any vehicles.

Edited by F2k Sel

If you have such situation, please, post either the repro or units coordinates, so that I can check it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?lj8pp832slzkhcp

Try playin with the USMC character first, and see how the AI is reluctant to fire, even when standing up and the player is standing as well. When i tried with the latest official patches the AI rips me to shreds.

Simple demo mission with repro steps - is it that hard to understand?

No, I just dont have time for everything. This bug should be easy to repro with placing some units and tanks on map. If not, then its more difficult to reproduce and I have no currently spirit to start looking for it. I still believe my observations could have some tiny value to help searching cause for problems. If not, then its easy to ingore it.

The grass visibility was incorrectly done on a line to a bottom of the target, instead of to its aiming center. Fixed in 83769, tanks seem to fight normally now.

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

Try playin with the USMC character first, and see how the AI is reluctant to fire, even when standing up and the player is standing as well. When i tried with the latest official patches the AI rips me to shreds.

This seems to have the same cause as the non-fighting tanks, and it should be fixed in the same build.

Great Patch!!! Thanks BIS!!!! I love it!!!

When is the final date release?

When is the final date release?

There is no official date yet.

AI seems to have difficulties to reveal + fire at targets:

Simple test in editor (desert map) - just place BLUFOR + OPFOR groups with move waypoint.

AI with Javelin/Metis don't fire at tanks even if those vehicles are driving 500m in front of them.

AI with sniper rifles suffer from the same problem.

Note - the AI are standing and have clear LOS on targets.

AI should be able to reveal + fire at targets at max effective weapon range.

AI in Tunguska dont use missiles against air targets.

Simple test in editor (Takistan) - just place 1x Tunguska and 1x Blufor plane (player) with move waypoint.

Blufor plane can circle above Tunguska, nothing happen unless pilot shots at Tunguska.

AI commander/gunner should be able to reveal and fire at targets with most effective weapon/ammo + at max range (AI should prefer to use missiles before AA guns).

Give the AI the ability to equip themselves from their own backpack if ammo is depleted. :)

Thank you Ondrej, for this breakthrough patch and the 10 years of Real Virtuality engine in my life.

AI seems to have difficulties to reveal + fire at targets:

Please, do not report any more AI issues with 83740 - the visibility testing is severely broken. Fix should be available within an hour.