Sign in to follow this  
CriminalMinds

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive announced

capsule_467x181.jpg

Next Gen Console, PC, and Mac Release Targeted for Early 2012

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead,

Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO).

Targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam (for PC and Mac) in early 2012,

CS: GO will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched exactly

12 years ago (CS beta 1, August 1999).

CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.).

In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online

PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi at Valve.

"For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive

gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand

on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."

CS: GO is being developed by Valve in cooperation with Seattle-based Hidden Path Entertainment. The title is targeted

for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year's PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.

Source: http://store.steampowered.com/news/6059/

Your opinion, please! :)

Edited by CriminalMinds

Obviously You never played Counter-Strike. It's much more teamplay oriented then most of the modern shooters, like BF: BC2.

inb4 massive pissing contest by the world's most elitist gaming community.

Where the fuck is Episode Three? I hope Hidden Path is doing the grunt work while two Valve employees convert a bunch of Source textures and let them have at it.

Obviously You never played Counter-Strike. It's much more teamplay oriented then most of the modern shooters, like BF: BC2.

I have

it's not teamplayed oriented. Most games aren't. The only time you can get teamplay is when you play with the same people on the same servers or are in a clan; but that applies to all games.

I'd hardly consider 5-6 people running the same cow path as an intricate team.

I'm struggling to imagine what a new Counterstrike will look like in the age of CoD.

What's to stop it from being overshadowed or relegated to the position of a semi-popular throwback shooter?

Will Valve focus on their ability to actually deliver high quality content in an organized, usable format to make popular MP?

I admittedly know little of CS, but my impression is that the main draw is usermade content and the fact that kids in second world countries can play it on their weak PCs.

it's not teamplayed oriented. Most games aren't.

Obviously that depends on who you play it with. Public servers = crap for just about any game.

I've had some good times with CS and CS Source back in the day. Great fun at LAN parties.

Obviously that depends on who you play it with.

Which is exactly what I said in the post that you quoted.

and I've had good teamwork on pub servers, but you have to play there all the time with the same group of people.

Joining random CS servers and expecting it to be "teamwork based" is simply wishful thinking.

I'm with this game since 2000. I wonder what engine will support the upcoming game. Old Source engine ?

Why would anyone be pissed about this news? No doubt Counterstrike is what most ppl here went through before playing OpF & ArmA. It's a part of FPS history.

Personally i dont think i'll be interested to play this again but lets see what they come up with.

Meh... it was fun when I was a kid, but now ... It's just that I'm not into hyper competitive games anymore. CS was and always will be a hyper competitive game.

I doubt it will be more then a slower paced COD.

"age of CoD"

"semi-popular throwback shooter"

CS (~100k players atm) is actually still probably the most popular MP shooter on PC. Not CODs (~80k). Not Battlefields (~40-50k).

(the figures are estimates based on Steam stats and server stats. I might be overlooking some low-budget Asian free-to-play FPS that no one in the western world plays though)

Edited by Pulverizer

All I see is...

And going to be available to A LOT more freakin people since its going to be on Xbox Live Arcade and PS3.

I don't know what to say. It's just... crap? Cmon Valve, You can do better then that... because now it all seems more like a Wallet Strike.

My skinned CSS looks WAY better.

Disappointed, a LOT.

oh lol

I bet that CS made by same team as L4D2 - i see many familiar things from L4D2 , like those hints , animations style etc

heh

Its basicly remake for Consoles

Huh..some of this is what I expected to see in the CSS beta..I guess it's good if they release it for 30 or 20 but no way would it be worth $50 unless it includes more modes and maps..

A bit of team defense, CTF, gun game etc would go a long way to adding the longevity of the game rather than the same old rush to attack and knowing that terrorists have an advantage because of the bomb and can therefore camp it while you diffuse it. It would also be neat to see the developers expand on it as more than just a shooter and include a minigame or two, it could still have the weapons just be mini-game themed.

Edited by NodUnit