Sign in to follow this  
victim913

Human and AI should move at same speed

If i'm in a group and everyone in the squad and me walk, I leave them behind. Actually, that is what happens for everything.

If I walk they walk slow, If I am in a regular movement, they start falling back, and If I full on run, I leave them behind. So I can't go too far without having to constantly stop and wait for them to catch up.

It's not the AI behavior like other things, their sprint speed is slower than my sprint speed, same as other movements.

I think it would be nice, and ideal if they moved at same speed as the human. Unless told to do so. In fact snce this is Arma3 why don't you make a randomized speed. Not everyone is fast, but fiddle with the speeds ever so slightly so that when going somewhere close, they all come, but somehwere like a mile away, you may have one or two people lagging a foot or two. Just an idea,

But at least equal the speed. If it is thy will :p

pretty good point.

AFAIK the reason that human moves faster than AI is to allow you to catch up to them in formation or else you'd be running endlessly at the same speed. but it would be nice to have more simialirty in speeds.

also would like to see overall run speed slowed down to less than olympic level speeds.

Did anyone notice that if you move sideways right with D key (not left) with RPG in your hand you go faster than running forward? ;)

If you crouch with an AT weapon in your hand and start sprinting you move way faster too, in any direction. ;)

in other news: running is faster than sprinting after its first 10s boost.

I knew that my AI Units where walking slower so yeah that would be nice if they take a look at it and correct the speeds.

however I was not entierly aware of it that running gives a higher boost then sprinting nor that crouch is even going faster then running lol :D

Did anyone notice that if you move sideways right with D key (not left) with RPG in your hand you go faster than running forward? ;)

Yes I've posted this in several beta threads and thought it was fixed. Forgot since then.

You can dodge bullets like that. I was running from BMP by strafing as the soldier never gets tired that way

+25 XP achievement unlocked: bullet dodge

pretty good point.

AFAIK the reason that human moves faster than AI is to allow you to catch up to them in formation or else you'd be running endlessly at the same speed. but it would be nice to have more simialirty in speeds.

also would like to see overall run speed slowed down to less than olympic level speeds.

The solution for that is to simply add a delay for the AI before they start moving, that way you and your squad or fireteam or whatever are all moving at the same speed, yet you are actually leading them.

The solution for that is to simply add a delay for the AI before they start moving, that way you and your squad or fireteam or whatever are all moving at the same speed, yet you are actually leading them.

There can be any number of reasons why you would fall slightly behind, I think it's correct that the player can always move slightly faster than the AI because of this.

There can be any number of reasons why you would fall slightly behind, I think it's correct that the player can always move slightly faster than the AI because of this.

But it's not slightly behind.

??? Not understanding.

It's more than just the AI is slightly behind. It's like they can't keep up, at least in my experience. And it's not like they're avoiding obstacles so that slows them down. It's that they literally are slower than the player.

It's more than just the AI is slightly behind. It's like they can't keep up, at least in my experience. And it's not like they're avoiding obstacles so that slows them down. It's that they literally are slower than the player.

Ah I see, we're talking at cross-purposes :D

The AI should be slightly slower than the player, because it's easy for the player to stop for a short while. However, when the player is behind, the AI won't stop for the player. Therefore the player should be slightly faster.

It's easier for the player to stop momentarily than it is for the AI.

Ah I see, we're talking at cross-purposes :D

The AI should be slightly slower than the player, because it's easy for the player to stop for a short while. However, when the player is behind, the AI won't stop for the player. Therefore the player should be slightly faster.

I guess it makes sense when put in that perspective.

However, when the player is behind, the AI won't stop for the player. Therefore the player should be slightly faster.

I think BIS should have the AI stop and wait for the Squad/Team Leader (Player) if they are an X amount of distance away.

Like if they are 10 - 15 meters away from player and are suppose to be in formationand moving, AI will stop or walk until the player is back into position .

(If the player is running to them, If not they will collect themselves around the player)

Then they will run or match the same speed as the player/team leader

Edited by Haystack15

I think BIS should have the AI stop and wait for the Squad/Team Leader (Player) if they are an X amount of distance away.

Like if they are 10 - 15 meters away from player and are suppose to be in formationand moving, AI will stop or walk until the player is back into position .

(If the player is running to them, If not they will collect themselves around the player)

Then they will run or match the same speed as the player/team leader

Well the idea is that subordinates follow the leader :) if all the AI start rubberbanding around players, it will lead to all kinds of artificial clustering in MP for example. Plus, the games starts to become player-centric.

Well the idea is that subordinates follow the leader :) if all the AI start rubberbanding around players, it will lead to all kinds of artificial clustering in MP for example. Plus, the games starts to become player-centric.

You have a good point, ArmA is never meant to be to player centric however if the AI is scattering way of on the leader it can't be good eather (anyway thats when the player is the leader of course.) So a little fine tune on it will do at surtain points regarding AI moving in formation ....

kind regards

You have a good point, ArmA is never meant to be to player centric however if the AI is scattering way of on the leader it can't be good eather (anyway thats when the player is the leader of course.) So a little fine tune on it will do at surtain points regarding AI moving in formation ....

kind regards

Well I notice that if an AI gets stuck trying to board a helo, after a while the helo goes anyway. This prevents broken missions because of one, stuck AI. IMO the AI leader should apply a similar tactic, that if an entity (be it AI or player) falls behind by greater than X meters, then he waits. If the AI/player fails to reform within Y seconds, the AI leader makes the decision to move on.

Well I notice that if an AI gets stuck trying to board a helo, after a while the helo goes anyway. This prevents broken missions because of one, stuck AI. IMO the AI leader should apply a similar tactic, that if an entity (be it AI or player) falls behind by greater than X meters, then he waits. If the AI/player fails to reform within Y seconds, the AI leader makes the decision to move on.

Well I like that id but what if the player is the leader? And what with lets say leave no one behind will the unit be spawned in to the plane/shopper or in a surtain distance closer to the whole unit group or will it be removed from the map?

Well I like that id but what if the player is the leader? And what with lets say leave no one behind will the unit be spawned in to the plane/shopper or in a surtain distance closer to the whole unit group or will it be removed from the map?

Well if the player is the leader he can make the decision to wait or not. And IMO it sometimes would be good to have the ability to dismiss an AI from your group, for getting-stuck reasons or wounding etc.

IRL there are many reasons why a unit might be left behind somewhere, he might badly twist an ankle ("getting stuck" bug) or he might have some vital equipment failure, or something. It's all part of RL, you just need to apply a little ingame imagination to justify why some AI get stuck occasionally :)

Well if the player is the leader he can make the decision to wait or not. And IMO it sometimes would be good to have the ability to dismiss an AI from your group, for getting-stuck reasons or wounding etc.

IRL there are many reasons why a unit might be left behind somewhere, he might badly twist an ankle ("getting stuck" bug) or he might have some vital equipment failure, or something. It's all part of RL, you just need to apply a little ingame imagination to justify why some AI get stuck occasionally :)

Right like when a unit gets to badly wounded so the medic is not able to patch him up again to move on you as player can decide to dismiss and call for extraction the AI will be scripted for that. The unit will be picked up by a medvac or something like that and you or the AI leader can move on with your team to meet the objectives given ....

well maybe something to atatch on a new medical system I don't know ...

And for a stuck character that leaves behind a some kind of headbug thing like in ace where you as a player can ask the game to refresh and the unit will spawn closer up for the AI commander this will be scripted again. Then the tweak for the movement speed that is stated in the op, so it will align abit more towards the player character so they are not drafting to much behind and when it would happen they also spawn to a closer possition and thus the mission will not brake to easely in a whole ...

However it might take some good thinking to work it out doh ...

Edited by KBourne
Gramma