Sign in to follow this  
lazerath

Arma 2: OA Beta Build 83261

Posting here too, since it's relevant to this build:

CAN FIRE event reporting broken within danger.fsm + possibly related issue with AI target prioritization

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/22935

Please people help us out with testing and vote for the ticket if you think it's worth.

Ye, it´s noticeable that soldiers can´t hit shit anymore on ranges less than 30 meters.

Can confirm. I had an enemy lying in the door of a house, and one of my AI guys emptied two magazines into the doorframe until I stepped behind him and shot the guy.

Apparently not true. The terrain shadows do not show up even on TERRAIN. The following shot is using the current beta.

http://tinyurl.com/3hbzdx7

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

Man oh man. That is a SEVERE problem. I tried the first example. Not good. If you move a little, you will die fairly quickly, but nowhere near quickly enough. :(

Does difficulty make any difference? I played on Veteran.

Tried second example, one time the opfor guy killed all 5 of us, but he will always kill at least 2-3 of the squad before being wasted himself.

I think I understand what is going on with these terrain shadows. Beagle is right that they don't appear on buildings. Terrain shadows as implemented are not hard shadows but more like soft shading. They do appear on terrain, as in my second shot, it's just that they are hard to see next to the hard shadow of my body. In a sense, what I observed is a feature of how shadows are implemented, not a bug.

They do appear on terrain, as in my second shot, it's just that they are hard to see next to the hard shadow of my body. In a sense, what I observed is a feature of how shadows are implemented, not a bug.

i cannot recall seeing arma2 terrain ever casting a shadow on other terrain. all that i see is that with terrain one slope gets darker according to angle and sunlight amount received.

hope BIS fixes this and lets terrain cast better shadows that affect things below them. especially for tkoh as the landscape really form big part of the immersion.

i cannot recall seeing arma2 terrain ever casting a shadow on other terrain. all that i see is that with terrain one slope gets darker according to angle and sunlight amount received.

hope BIS fixes this and lets terrain cast better shadows that affect things below them. especially for tkoh as the landscape really form big part of the immersion.

What you wrote makes sense and agrees with my observations - that there are no terrain shadows, slopes are only shaded relative to angle from the sun. That is not really a terrain shadow implementation, but a workaround. Nevertheless, it works fine and looks good in most situations.

Yes! In TKoH, I think skyscrapers are modeled (Seattle). so I sure hope that such big buildings (and other landscape features) leave hard, normal shadows.

Edited by OMAC

What you wrote makes sense and agrees with my observations - that there are no terrain shadows, slopes are only shaded relative to angle from the sun. That is not really a terrain shadow implementation, but a workaround. Nevertheless, it works fine and looks good in most situations.

There are terrain shadows. They are a lot softer than object shadows, but they are there. If they should be visible, the sun needs to be lower than is the hill angle. If you set time e.g. to 6 AM, you should see shadows under steep hills.

There are terrain shadows. They are a lot softer than object shadows, but they are there. If they should be visible, the sun needs to be lower than is the hill angle. If you set time e.g. to 6 AM, you should see shadows under steep hills.

In those images from Hike In The Hills I posted earlier in this thread, the sun seems to be lower than the hill angle. If it wasn't for that one case, I never would have noticed any problem with terrain shadow. So my first guess was correct, or nearly so:

I think I understand what is going on with these terrain shadows. Beagle is right that they don't appear on buildings. Terrain shadows as implemented are not hard shadows but more like soft shading. They do appear on terrain, as in my second shot, it's just that they are hard to see next to the hard shadow of my body. In a sense, what I observed is a feature of how shadows are implemented, not a bug.

Cool. Thanks. From those entries, it appears that terrain shadows are a work in progress.

Edited by OMAC