Sign in to follow this  
lazerath

Arma 2: OA Beta Build 83261

I've noticed that the new movement prediction in MP is *really* screwy...I know that it's not optimized for MP, but currently enemies warp way worse than before, I.e. they will be moving one direction and then warp several feet away in a totally different direction. Will this get worked on in the next few betas?

Also, had another driver crash with the latest beta.

Getting constant hang/freeze that doesn't create any dumpfiles for the last 2 betas. Anyone else getting it?

I noticed this but thought it was to do with IR missles ...where you get no warning...which is correct in RL... but Radar and Laser missles.... I never tested..
The kind of missile does not matter in ArmA, the game is not sophisticated in that area.

And why schould a old Mi-8 get a IR missiles warning but a UH-60M or hypermodern MV-22 not. That function was already in and working, it is broken now.

btw. IR missiles warning is quite common in our early 21. Century.

Getting constant hang/freeze that doesn't create any dumpfiles for the last 2 betas. Anyone else getting it?

Not had a crash since 83015 (in MP) and before that it was very long time ago for me.

/KC

I noticed this but thought it was to do with IR missles ...where you get no warning...which is correct in RL... but Radar and Laser missles.... I never tested..

No its not correct.

The modern "incoming missle receivers" have a (or multiple) round sensor(s) in which angle(s) it detects the Motor of a fired/incoming Missle/projectile by pre-programmed IR-footprints and then it "reacts" depending on programming with deploying of countermeasures (Flares/Chaff). Even if its just a unguided RPG fired towards you, it will notice it and reacts in RL.

Also, had another driver crash with the latest beta.

I've had 2 ctds as well. There doesn't seem to be any access_violation errors in the .rpt but I'm not sure.

Aren't we supposed to send the dump files to Dwarden or someone like that?

Had some CTD too on the same day with this build, crashlogs sent to Dwarden. At least no BSOD like with the other post 79600 builds.

Someone else just mentioned this, but terrain itself does not have shadows, leaving my shadow floating in the air when I view it from a hill. Has this always been the case? Terrain shadow will have profound effects on FPS if it is computed, but still it seems essential to have it.

Someone else just mentioned this, but terrain itself does not have shadows, leaving my shadow floating in the air when I view it from a hill. Has this always been the case? Terrain shadow will have profound effects on FPS if it is computed, but still it seems essential to have it.
Terrain shadows were fixed in 1.56 but it is not uncommon that betas or patches screw working features up. Check with official 1.59 .exe if there is a difference and make sure shadow is at least at high.

Had some CTD too on the same day with this build, crashlogs sent to Dwarden. At least no BSOD like with the other post 79600 builds.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll send them to him. I just had another one playing the PMC campaign. I passed mission 3, saw the next cut scene and then it crashed as the next mission was loading up. That would happen in previous betas about 1 month ago. The problem seemed to be fixed but it's back again with the newest beta.

Terrain shadows were fixed in 1.56 but it is not uncommon that betas or patches screw working features up. Check with official 1.59 .exe if there is a difference and make sure shadow is at least at high.

I played Hike In The Hills with vanilla 1.59, and the terrain shadow is also not there.

http://tinyurl.com/3aopwzl

Same behavior in the same location with the current beta.

Behavior same with shadows set to high or very high.

Ah yes...but that won't get better because terrain shadows only show on TERRAIN not on Objects. Obvioulsy another old OFP leftover where we had this despite other games did better in that time but on much smaller scales.

Lighting is and never was the strong area of the RV engine.

I played Hike In The Hills with vanilla 1.59, and the terrain shadow is also not there.

http://tinyurl.com/3aopwzl

Same behavior in the same location with the current beta.

Behavior same with shadows set to high or very high.

i've noticed this. really hope BIS can do something to this. if terrains could cast shadows it would be much better and stop the game from looking so flat and washed out. in theory of art colours, perspective and shadows play an important part in providing a sense of depth on a 2d surface. all 3 are needed.

TKOH is toying with some commands that affect shadows cast distance and looks good on houses - maybe for terrains would really put their lightning engine looking quite a bit more modern?

Edited by twisted

Ah yes...but that won't get better because terrain shadows only show on TERRAIN not on Objects.

Apparently not true. The terrain shadows do not show up even on TERRAIN. The following shot is using the current beta.

http://tinyurl.com/3hbzdx7

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

I'm noticing an AI aiming problem at close range with the later betas.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/22974

Man oh man. That is a SEVERE problem. I tried the first example. Not good. If you move a little, you will die fairly quickly, but nowhere near quickly enough. :(

Does difficulty make any difference? I played on Veteran.

Tried second example, one time the opfor guy killed all 5 of us, but he will always kill at least 2-3 of the squad before being wasted himself.

Edited by OMAC

I would say it's slightly better in Veteran but still far from right.

When you move you will get killed but I feel this may be because your walking into the bullet stream rather than them aiming at you, hard to tell.

I've noticed this may also be affecting vehicles at close range as well but it's hard to tell.

Have you also noticed that the player is last to be shot even though he is the only one standing.

Edited by F2k Sel

Wow, that was crazy. In vanilla I died instantly and the OPFOR was dead before I even loaded in.

In the current beta I survived about 5 reloads of my attackers. The OPFOR lasted a few seconds after I was in. Crazy bug indeed.

I would say it's slightly better in Veteran but still far from right.

When you move you will get killed but I feel this may be because your walking into the bullet stream rather than them aiming at you, hard to tell.

I've noticed this may also be affecting vehicles at close range as well but it's hard to tell.

Have you also noticed that the player is last to be shot even though he is the only one standing.

Getting shot after I move could very well be due to me running into the bullet stream.

Yes, I have noticed that I'm the last one to be shot. Is that because the "threat" of the others, who are shooting, is higher, and thus the opfor shoots at them first?

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

I did get a hard crash after cutscene at point of autosave at Point Keyhole in Into The Storm (using A2 1.10 and this OA beta). Dumps sent to Dwarden.

I also got a soft CTD (Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered) during the mission.

Edited by OMAC

also the cutscene from EW is behaving very strange

its like the ah64 wants to be at three places at once, no crashes.

but.. somtimes the bmp's somehow dont show up on radar, my co-pilot wont fire and ruins the mission cause the bmp totally own's my chopper.

i played at hard and veteran happens in both difficulty settings.

Well this is new...now getting driver crashes (not always, but at least twice now) when I first start up the game. The game immediately goes to black screen and then minimizes, and I have to close it manually via Task Manager.

I played Morning Dew with this beta, and I didn't notice any AI aiming problems. But then again, AI rarely are less than 30m away when they open fire...

I got another soft CTD (flushable), most likely related to AToC=7. These CTD's appear to be more common with this beta.

Edited by OMAC

Ye, it´s noticeable that soldiers can´t hit shit anymore on ranges less than 30 meters.

I had a freeze that was mentioned last page when my game was minimized for a while [approx 15 minutes] and then I came back.

Normally this is quite fine to do.

Yeah, it seems like something changed in this beta from previous ones to cause more freezing issues.

well im building a new island and very often when i fly low and i want to give the enemy tanks and motorized infantry some good news they are quite capable of shooting me right out of my cockpit over and over. than again, when im lying in the fields with a M107 they have a hard time hitting me but eventualy they do hit me.