Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

I personally would rather be one of the guerrilla factions, like in OFP:R. So you have to use your brain more with limited resources.

And that the missions were a bit like the first part of the A3, so you could have a base and choose weapons, stuff, move around. Etc. Take advantage of the Arma engine.

But... That's already available in the game... as you just stated, and the FIA are exactly that. What we are looking for is what the story lines leads up to. The South Pacific, CSAT Coalition's Chinese counterpart brings in the big guns... Your probably wondering why i'm so eager to see PLA, well it has to do with the fact that they provide a foundation for serious Naval introductions, and awesome looking gear. I like all of the Chinese equipment. Plus it would bring a whole new feel to the game, new faction speaking Chinese, new military presence that isn't a bunch of rag tag civilians in make shift uniforms.

I personally would rather be one of the guerrilla factions, like in OFP:R. So you have to use your brain more with limited resources.

And that the missions were a bit like the first part of the A3, so you could have a base and choose weapons, stuff, move around. Etc. Take advantage of the Arma engine.

i think you misunderstood me a little there XD i meant i'd like the new opfor in the expansion to be the PLA :P

But... That's already available in the game... as you just stated, and the FIA are exactly that.

Not really. Different low budget factions have only been seen in the second part of the A3 campaign and with support of the UK spec ops and US soldiers.

The first part was US + UK soldiers fighting against AAF. And the Third part was NATO full blown troops vs CSAT + AAF.

The A3 campaign was mainly conventional forces. NATO vs AAF & CSAT.

What I meant is having only 2 or 3 magazines, having to assault the other factions arsenals, etc.

Besides the BI devs said that there would be different local factions fighting for the control of the islands.

But I'm pretty sure that the CSAT will be beefed a bit too, with a couple of vehicles, some weapons and Chinese faces and Chinese voices.

I like all of the Chinese equipment. Plus it would bring a whole new feel to the game, new faction speaking Chinese, new military presence that isn't a bunch of rag tag civilians in make shift uniforms.

The Chinese are integrated in CSAT, so is probable that are mainly using the same equipment, maybe diff rifles tho (and if they add a few more vehicles, probably will have nothing to do with the actual PLA equipment, as the actual CSAT has few to do with the Iranian equipment). I also hope for some little-mid size naval stuff (big patrol boats, small corvettes and maybe a static LHD or carrier).

I guess the Expansion's story will start as a civil war and then the main factions will appear by the end.

Edited by MistyRonin

Not really. Different low budget factions have only been seen in the second part of the A3 campaign and with support of the UK spec ops and US soldiers.

The first part was US + UK soldiers fighting against AAF. And the Third part was NATO full blown troops vs CSAT + AAF.

The A3 campaign was mainly conventional forces. NATO vs AAF & CSAT.

What I meant is having only 2 or 3 magazines, having to assault the other factions arsenals, etc.

Besides the BI devs said that there would be different local factions fighting for the control of the islands.

But I'm pretty sure that the CSAT will be beefed a bit too, with a couple of vehicles, some weapons and Chinese faces and Chinese voices.

The Chinese are integrated in CSAT, so is probable that are mainly using the same equipment, maybe diff rifles tho (and if they add a few more vehicles, probably will have nothing to do with the actual PLA equipment, as the actual CSAT has few to do with the Iranian equipment). I also hope for some little-mid size naval stuff (big patrol boats, small corvettes and maybe a static LHD or carrier).

I guess the Expansion's story will start as a civil war and then the main factions will appear by the end.

Well, having just watched a bit of the gameplay again, the second part had to do with exactly what you suggested, a few mags going against main factions. While your still technically Blufor, Adapt was mainly you being apart of the FIA, which is forced to go take on a far stronger enemy with nothing but a few rifles, and anything you bring back, which saves over time. The third part was Force vs Force. So basically you want more of the second part. To be honest, i think that's what we'll see in the beggining. Given the desc. of the Island Tanoa, trafficking will mean rag tag forces, and some weapons. However, i would expect BIS to follow the whole, "Big War" in the Pacific that everyone talks about during the entire campaign, that has them on serious edge over CSAT being in the Pacific. I'm going to re play the campaign again and see if i can find out anything new. I think i missed some things, and perhaps there are clues.

On another note though, to say that all of CSAT would use the same vehicles due to being in an Allience isn't really a logical statement. I mean, take a look at NATO. Not everyone uses the same vehicles within NATO. Same can be said for CSAT. If CSAT was composed of Russia, China, and Iran, bringing in China wouldn't mean redlined CSAT Iran equipment. China ha spent so much time developing it's own weaponry, that it would be extremely out of scope to say they suddenly, Chinese helicopters, tanks, MRAP's, Arty, and Planes would be just re-skins of what we have not on CSAT. And I dare say that BIS would rather have PLA themed un-amphibious Ifrit's driving around an Archipelago... So in the end, it's better to jus keep it realistic and have the new faction and new gear. Besides, I love PLA gear. I mean look at this uniform.

http://asw.newpacificinstitute.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/6/files/2011/12/1314266781_79346.jpg (130 kB)

1000009999 times better than the Pre-historic alien uniform BIS decided to keep in. I'd cry if the new Opfor end up wearing that terrible bug suit.

On another note though, to say that all of CSAT would use the same vehicles due to being in an Allience isn't really a logical statement. I mean, take a look at NATO. Not everyone uses the same vehicles within NATO. Same can be said for CSAT. If CSAT was composed of Russia, China, and Iran, bringing in China wouldn't mean redlined CSAT Iran equipment. China ha spent so much time developing it's own weaponry, that it would be extremely out of scope to say they suddenly, Chinese helicopters, tanks, MRAP's, Arty, and Planes would be just re-skins of what we have not on CSAT. And I dare say that BIS would rather have PLA themed un-amphibious Ifrit's driving around an Archipelago... So in the end, it's better to jus keep it realistic and have the new faction and new gear. Besides, I love PLA gear. I mean look at this uniform.

http://asw.newpacificinstitute.org/wp-content/blogs.dir/6/files/2011/12/1314266781_79346.jpg (130 kB)

1000009999 times better than the Pre-historic alien uniform BIS decided to keep in. I'd cry if the new Opfor end up wearing that terrible bug suit.

too late......

WdrFeuw3nTczaokOK-oXfbAjNqM4cpcEgmsSRigMsLo=w568-h757-no

GU24m2-oMUH9hUoPD22Vz-Y9WtpWiPNi_NtbdA6HeHA=w545-h768-no

http://replygif.net/i/272.gif

They have a year. They could seriously do better than that, 100%

Those colors don't even match the terrain as good as most other PLA patterns. I seriously expect a change, with a more detailed, better looking fatigues. It's a new map, some its time for a new faction with new gear. Not re-textured CSAT.

But they are a CSAT member... hell, if the PRC is "the armorer of CSAT" then the bug suits probably came from there. :p As such a Tanoa-specific retexture would satisfy me, whereas the linked photo of PLAN Marines looked... "too NATO".

Yes, it's a case of "the authentic appearance would be more immersion-breaking than the fictional".

But they are a CSAT member... hell, if the PRC is "the armorer of CSAT" then the bug suits probably came from there. :p As such a Tanoa-specific retexture would satisfy me, whereas the linked photo of PLAN Marines looked... "too NATO".

Yes, it's a case of "the authentic appearance would be more immersion-breaking than the fictional".

Indeed it looks too NATO, but that's just a generalization for any gear that looks... Modern, and well fitted. The Chinese are by no means copying NATO, but the Chinese being apart of CSAT, would not change out uniforms in any case, just because of the Canton Protocol Treaty. China being a super power of it's own, has enough influence to use it's own gear, which is the whole point. Bringing an entire new presence like the Chinese counterpart to CSAT, would most certainly come along with it's own gear.

In other words, imagine that NATO asks the French to help, and the French shows up with Re-textured Slammers, Hunters, and AMV-7 Marshalls... I'm certain that would cause a massive storm of the forums, as people have already brought up the same deal about cross faction re-textures. Wouldn't be a good day for anyone, including BIS. Imagine having to pay for the DLC to have access to a re-textured uniform... Let's, not imagine that...

Then again, Chotles, with the Uniform looking NATO? It actually doesn't, that may be perceived due to the Knee-pads. The Chinese uniforms has a far different form fit from the NATO's, definitely thinner in most places. You could see this by loading Arma 3, looking at NATO Fatigues and looking at the Chinese. If anything, the Chinese Fatigues look, well... Chinese. XD

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Just look into these PLA camo's > http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=China

PLA got a special tropical camo > http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=File:China4.jpg

also a special purpose Digi Tiger Stripe

so that could do the trick and making it less obvious

Hey, that Tropical one is literally the same as the one i posted first. =D

It does look, really good though. Almost as good as CADPAT, just for their coastal/archipelago geography. =P

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Indeed it looks too NATO, but that's just a generalization for any gear that looks... Modern, and well fitted.
Which is automatically why I said "the authentic appearance would be more immersion-breaking than the fictional", that's how bored I am of a contemporary setting/aesthetic. Then again, if the PLA gets even more bug-eyed (the helmet being the biggest culprit against a modern aesthetic) no pun intended... :icon_twisted:
Imagine having to pay for the DLC to have access to a re-textured uniform... Let's, not imagine that...
Bohemia's announced that "Any vehicles, weapons and other content is treated similarly to the try-before-you-buy approach in Helicopters / Marksmen DLC" in the Expansion, so such skins should work just like the Marksmen full-ghillie-suits; note that Tanoa itself is behind the paywall.

Those colors don't even match the terrain as good as most other PLA patterns. I seriously expect a change, with a more detailed, better looking fatigues. It's a new map, some its time for a new faction with new gear. Not re-textured CSAT.

You are confusing the real life with BI's Armaverse.

Don't you remember that even NATO and CSAT share a good amount of vehicles and weapon systems. (ships, turrets, etc.) It's extremely unlikely that BI would create a new PLA faction with all diff vehicles, and a brand new diff uniform (compare US NATO and UK NATO unfiforms in A3). Maybe they will add a couple, but I wouldn't be counting on much more.

Remember what BI said about Tanoa's factions being about local groups fighting each other.

In other words, imagine that NATO asks the French to help, and the French shows up with Re-textured Slammers, Hunters, and AMV-7 Marshalls... I'm certain that would cause a massive storm of the forums, as people have already brought up the same deal about cross faction re-textures.

France is part of NATO in the Armaverse, same as in real life.

Edited by MistyRonin

You are confusing the real life with BI's Armaverse.
Bam, nailed it in one.

On the other hand, with regards to "local groups fighting each other", the SITREP linked above mentioned that the Expansion is still military-focused, despite the jetski and prop plane in the screenshots/trailer, Bohemia's just not ready to reveal the additional contents.

On the other hand, with regards to "local groups fighting each other", the SITREP linked above mentioned that the Expansion is still military-focused, despite the jetski and prop plane in the screenshots/trailer, Bohemia's just not ready to reveal the additional contents.

Well, if you check the PC Gaming presentation of Tanoa in the SITREP, at the end of the video min 5:20 when they define the playing content their words are "content pack with local factions compiting".

So probably the main focus will be on more guerrilla / pirate like military stuff. In the Vanilla A3,

Edited by MistyRonin

http://replygif.net/i/272.gif

They have a year. They could seriously do better than that, 100%

There is nothing to worry about (yet), it's just from a reskin mod.

And from the last dlc and free addition to the game, you can clearly see that Bis is trying to bring brand new stuff instead of copy/paste things.

In other words, imagine that NATO asks the French to help, and the French shows up

Would love to see this!!!

Local factions. This could mean the military of Tanoa, engaged with the military of another very near by country. You never know. Now granted, China isn't in the South Pacific. But it could have some land claims very close by. But, you never know. I guess your right. But BIS could use some inspiration anyhow. =D

Local factions. This could mean the military of Tanoa, engaged with the military of another very near by country. You never know. Now granted, China isn't in the South Pacific. But it could have some land claims very close by. But, you never know. I guess your right. But BIS could use some inspiration anyhow. =D

Well be optimist, we are only talking about the vanilla stuff aka "the canvas", I'm pretty sure there will be mods working on the PLA and other Asia / Pacific countries.

For instance Majoris did a great work with: China - PLA Infantry (Alpha)

e7aza8.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/33wo39v.jpg (154 kB)

Edited by MistyRonin

Well be optimist, we are only talking about the vanilla stuff aka "the canvas", I'm pretty sure there will be mods working on the PLA and other Asia / Pacific countries.

For instance Majoris did a great work with: China - PLA Infantry (Alpha)

http://oi57.tinypic.com/e7aza8.jpg

Sigh. I know. I have that mod, and while it's great visuals, a BIS made PLA would probably be top notch, well made, and provide a great story line for the Expansion as well, and would provide a Future for the story line and franchise. Hehe, though, i'll stick with the Mod for now. Speaking of which, ill be Easter Egg hunting in the Campaign soon, maybe ill find out something.

Nah, mods will probably be as US vs. Russia as ever, they roll around like pigs in slop in it. :rolleyes: That being said, I can see the PLA playing a role analogous to Russia's presence in Harvest Red in an Expansion campaign.

Nah, mods will probably be as US vs. Russia as ever, they roll around like pigs in slop in it. :rolleyes:

How are you that sure? :p

Nah, mods will probably be as US vs. Russia as ever, they roll around like pigs in slop in it. :rolleyes:

So true. How long has this US Vs. Russia thing gone on? Also, if the population of the island of Tanoa before hand was Japanese held, then captured by the Allies, then we could see Japan/US Vs. PLA? Given Japan now a days, is actually building back up it's military, in order to combat rising Chinese presence in the Sea and surrounding islands.

So true. How long has this US Vs. Russia thing gone on? Also, if the population of the island of Tanoa before hand was Japanese held, then captured by the Allies, then we could see Japan/US Vs. PLA? Given Japan now a days, is actually building back up it's military, in order to combat rising Chinese presence in the Sea and surrounding islands.

The only mention to Japan is that during WW2 the Empire of Japan invaded Tanoa and later the US Marines liberated it. And since then it has been independent.

It's kind of the story of the Solomon Islands or Bougainville. Tho BI said that is a mixture of Fiji stuff, it all smells a lot like Bougainville.

Tho even today the situation in Bougainville is still really sensitive, and BI has already been arrested in Greece and banned in Iran. So yeah, it's based in Fiji (even if it doesn't have that big mines, nor Japan invaded them in WW2).

Volcano in the island

http://earthquake-report.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Bagana4.png (373 kB)

Pangura Mine that provoked the war.

261257-2457c76c-ccef-11e2-9372-9a6a12975217.jpg

http://pacific.scoop.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/png_panguna-mine-truck1.jpg (137 kB)

WW2 Japanese plane remains in the jungle.

6466132-3x2-340x227.jpg

We consider the terrain to be geotypical Fiji' date=' but it's not an exact recreation of that real-world location (it's a mix of various satellite heightmaps, so not geospecific). We'll be further discussing our motivations for this (awesome) setting later.[/quote']
Edited by MistyRonin

The only mention to Japan is that during WW2 the Empire of Japan invaded Tanoa and later the US Marines liberated it. And since then it has been independent.

It's kind of the story of the Solomon Islands or Bougainville. Tho BI said that is a mixture of Fiji stuff, it all smells a lot like Bougainville.

Tho even today the situation in Bougainville is still really sensitive, and BI has already been arrested in Greece and banned in Iran. So yeah, it's based in Fiji (even if it doesn't have that big mines, nor Japan invaded them in WW2).

Volcano in the island

http://earthquake-report.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Bagana4.png (373 kB)

Pangura Mine that provoked the war.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/06/04/1226657/261257-2457c76c-ccef-11e2-9372-9a6a12975217.jpg

http://pacific.scoop.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/png_panguna-mine-truck1.jpg (137 kB)

WW2 Japanese plane remains in the jungle.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/image/6466132-3x2-340x227.jpg

Interesting... They were banned in Iran? GG

Though, great information. I guess we'll find out more in the year, as BIS said in the Sitrep. I really can't wait to learn more about this new masterpiece.