Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Windows 8

Well apparently indeed this looks like another case of Me(or Vista),businesses slow adoption and consumers aren't jumping on it too fast either.

Win 8 sales are below expectations and of course M$ blames the hardware makers:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-sales-well-below-projections-plenty-blame-go-around

The good news is that probably Win 9 will set it right.

Outdated anti-Windows 8 FUD. 40 million licenses sold in its first month, and over 60 million copies sold so far is not "below expectations", especially if said expectations are nebulous: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-60-million-windows-8-licenses-sold-100-million-app-downloads

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-has-surpassed-os-x-mountain-lion-in-market-share

Outdated anti-Windows 8 FUD. 40 million licenses sold in its first month, and over 60 million copies sold so far is not "below expectations", especially if said expectations are nebulous: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-60-million-windows-8-licenses-sold-100-million-app-downloads

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-has-surpassed-os-x-mountain-lion-in-market-share

Are smartphones that use Windows 8 factored into the combined total sales at present? If so, what is the ratio for those adopting Windows 8 for PC to that of smartphones?

Are smartphones that use Windows 8 factored into the combined total sales at present? If so, what is the ratio for those adopting Windows 8 for PC to that of smartphones?
Unknown. Don't forget tablets either. In any case, PC sales were declining well before Windows 8 due to tablet and smartphone cannibalization, as well as the rate at which PC hardware is being rendered obsolete slowing down. From what I've read, people are still gaming on their Core 2 Duos and Quads, as those offer enough power for them. Heard the same story from 1st gen Core i5/7 owners.

Unknown. Don't forget tablets either. In any case, PC sales were declining well before Windows 8 due to tablet and smartphone cannibalization, as well as the rate at which PC hardware is being rendered obsolete slowing down. From what I've read, people are still gaming on their Core 2 Duos and Quads, as those offer enough power for them. Heard the same story from 1st gen Core i5/7 owners.

Almost none of my friends has installed this on his PC although many of them could get it for free (I already downloaded it but I guess I´ll wait for Win 9). That happens if you try to slap a touchscreen interface on a PC.

Those 40 mil licenses were mostly upgrades and it's a known fact the Win8 upgrade was way cheaper than the Win7.I wouldn't call it yet complete success.Same thing with their console division.Even though they sold Xbox360 dirt cheap they cashed in with the licenses if you wanted your game there,even with this their console division operated at a loss for years.Also if the businesses adopting rate isn't very good you already lost a nice slice of bacon.

still loving it

got the customer preview wwhen it came out and upgraded to the full 64 pro for £25 UK , will be trading in my Mac phone for a W8 phone next month to unify my tech and keep it all simple.

Arma2 and Battlefied 3 bothe play nicely with it and with either 64 bit I.E or 32 bit Firefox all my browsing needs are met .

Those 40 mil licenses were mostly upgrades
Source? My previously linked to sources say the 60 million+ licenses were a combination of upgrades and new devices.
Same thing with their console division.Even though they sold Xbox360 dirt cheap they cashed in with the licenses if you wanted your game there,even with this their console division operated at a loss for years.Also if the businesses adopting rate isn't very good you already lost a nice slice of bacon.
All the consoles do this, from what I've heard. Back on topic, Windows 8 and the console market aren't comparable, as we haven't seen Windows 8 sold under cost for nearly as long as consoles. Xbox 360 has been around since 2005, Windows 8 has not been around for 4 months. Also, http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-close-behind-windows-xp-in-latest-steam-hardware-survey Though if you count Windows only in the survey options, the gap between XP 32-bit and 8 64-bit is a little wider.

I had to setup a new laptop of a family member running win8 and I never experienced such a bad operating system! I didn't know where to find anything and I felt completly locked out from the computer. It was like: "You're allowed to press these four gigantic buttons, but I won't tell you how the rest of the system works". It took me 15 minutes to find out how to leave the freakin' mail application.

Considering the amazing workflow I have with Win7 I wouldn't even take money from Microsoft the run that software on my computer.

I had to setup a new laptop of a family member running win8 and I never experienced such a bad operating system! I didn't know where to find anything and I felt completly locked out from the computer. It was like: "You're allowed to press these four gigantic buttons, but I won't tell you how the rest of the system works". It took me 15 minutes to find out how to leave the freakin' mail application.

Considering the amazing workflow I have with Win7 I wouldn't even take money from Microsoft the run that software on my computer.

This entire post reminds me of a comment I saw about Windows 8 elsewhere:
Lost faith in humanity again when reading these friend posts... *sigh* is it REALLY so hard to adapt?!
It's not about being hard its about not trying. Look in the forums and you will see lots of people type stuff like "Installed Windows 8 hated it and 10 min later reinstalled Win7".
One must wonder how many people actually researched on how to navigate Windows 8 before installing it.

Honestly , whyembarass yourself lol ?

You couldnt install windows 8 and even consider that post without expecting a massive FAIL like respones, it actually stops you before you sign in and give a must see tute all about where everything is haha

honestly i cease to be amazed of the amount of lie pedaling about W8 lol

Honestly , whyembarass yourself lol ?

You couldnt install windows 8 and even consider that post without expecting a massive FAIL like respones, it actually stops you before you sign in and give a must see tute all about where everything is haha

honestly i cease to be amazed of the amount of lie pedaling about W8 lol

1) I think we still speak proper english over here :)

2) I never said anywhere that I couldn't install it. It tried using the laptop for 6 hours. So please stop 10 flaming about things that are not true.

3) You really expect me to RESEARCH the internet for understanding how the damn thing works? Come on, thats just more than ridiculous. Do you ask people without further computer knowledge the same? This is 2012! Either you code the system in a proper way or you didn't do you job right. I never had any problems understanding Win7 or the previous versions. I never had problems understanding iOS or MacOS or Android. So please don't tell me I need to do research to find out how to close an application! :)

So if both of you can give me valid points for being wrong than just flaming not quite comprehensible stuff, I'd be glad :)

3) You really expect me to RESEARCH the internet for understanding how the damn thing works? Come on, thats just more than ridiculous. Do you ask people without further computer knowledge the same? This is 2012! Either you code the system in a proper way or you didn't do you job right. I never had any problems understanding Win7 or the previous versions. I never had problems understanding iOS or MacOS or Android. So please don't tell me I need to do research to find out how to close an application! :)
You just made my point for me.
So if both of you can give me valid points for being wrong than just flaming not quite comprehensible stuff, I'd be glad :)
Thanks for unfairly lumping me in with Thromp, I really appreciate it. :)

One must wonder how many people actually researched on how to navigate Windows 8 before installing it.

That's so wrong,you shouldn't need to research on how to navigate a damn OS that prides itself on user friendly,if I want that shit I just install Linux although I heard that even that OS made huge steps on user friendliness.Also ok 60 mil licenses sold,but since the upgrade was dirt cheap I think at least half of those were upgrade options.Which also screams "we don't fully trust our OS to be successful".

They wanted to design it around touch interfaces and take a nice chunk from the tablet market but even this seems to come back to bite them in the ass.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/29/3929110/surface-pro-disk-space-windows-8

That's so wrong,you shouldn't need to research on how to navigate a damn OS that prides itself on user friendly,
Then why are there written guides for so many operating systems being printed and bought every day?
Also ok 60 mil licenses sold,but since the upgrade was dirt cheap I think at least half of those were upgrade options.Which also screams "we don't fully trust our OS to be successful".
Just your opinion, I take it?
They wanted to design it around touch interfaces and take a nice chunk from the tablet market but even this seems to come back to bite them in the ass.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/29/3929110/surface-pro-disk-space-windows-8

Dishonest marketing regarding how much permanent storage space will be left after the operating system is installed does not a case against Windows 8 make. Any other tablet/smartphone maker advertising their products' storage space commits the exact same offense. But your point about designing Windows 8 around touch interface stands. Still, I did the research on how to navigate Windows 8, and tried to navigate it on a computer at Staples. Once you learn how to navigate it, it's pretty easy. The tiles on the Start screen can be clicked and dragged to move them around, right clicking them bring up options for them. Sideways scrolling can be achieved by clicking and dragging the scroll bar at the bottom of the Start screen. Hitting the Windows key will toggle between the Start screen and the app you had open previously, and this toggling works with the desktop too. The desktop is easily accessed from the Start screen. Programs can be pinned to the Start screen, so you can click on them in the Start screen, which will then switch to the desktop and launch the program. The Start menu is still around in a simplified form, and can be accessed by right clicking in the bottom left corner of the Desktop.

Shutting down a computer with Windows 8 takes just one more step than Windows 7:

Windows 7: 1) Go to Start menu. 2) Click Shut Down.

Windows 8: 1) Hit Windows key + I 2) Click on Settings 3) Click on Shut Down.

Not to mention, pinning programs and locations to the Taskbar still works the same.

Yup just my opinion with the upgrade numbers,that's why I said "I think..."

Regarding the OS space if you want to attack the tablet market you really pushing the limits with false advertising if you advertise for a 64gb model and you realize only 23gb it's free.You have to face it its ridiculous when your OS takes more than 50% of the free storage and fail to mention this "tiny" detail.Maybe IOS/Android commits the same offense but haven't seen a device yet from them with this kinda of problem.

Great OS for a tablet or a phone...NEVER something you would want on either a laptop or a desktop. I just bought four extra copies of Win7 Ultimate the other day just to have some in case I needed them.

1) I think we still speak proper english over here :)

2) I never said anywhere that I couldn't install it. It tried using the laptop for 6 hours. So please stop 10 flaming about things that are not true.

What i saud was Windows 8 by default shows an intuitive guide on the difference between xp and 7 on installation and if you didn't install , the guide is still available just the same as w7 and xp.

No I don't expect you to google how to use it because it's a very intuitive guide .

Great OS for a tablet or a phone...NEVER something you would want on either a laptop or a desktop. I just bought four extra copies of Win7 Ultimate the other day just to have some in case I needed them.

Really?

Get Stardock's Start8 for $5.00 (there are free conversions as well) and there is no difference (besides the fact that you can use Metro if you like or just stick with the 'old' Win 7 Desktop)

Windows 8 rocks - it's a shame so many people hate on it based mainly on misinformation.

Installed it last night..had to google where to find shut down option :/ But apart from that I'm digging it

Really?

Get Stardock's Start8 for $5.00 (there are free conversions as well) and there is no difference (besides the fact that you can use Metro if you like or just stick with the 'old' Win 7 Desktop)

Windows 8 rocks - it's a shame so many people hate on it based mainly on misinformation.

You said it, my friend.
Installed it last night..had to google where to find shut down option :/ But apart from that I'm digging it
Hit Windows key + I, then click on Settings.

I don't really fear the new UI. But how exactly does Windows 8 rock? I though you use Windows to ... install and run stuff that rocks in it, right? =D

Hit Windows key + I, then click on Settings.
I prefer CTRL+ALT+DEL and use the power button right down.

Similarly you can lock it (Windows Key + L), ENTER, and then the same button.

I bet it would properly shutdown aswell if you just pressed the power button on your PC, at least thats the simple approach i would expect from your usual housewife user (i.e. win8 target group :D).

I bet it would properly shutdown aswell if you just pressed the power button on your PC
There's that too :)

Really confusing all these different power buttons! There's one on the front of the PC, and one on the back. And in the Charms bar, and in the Lock screen, and ... :)