Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

Community Feedback Thread - TOH:CP

You gotta switch auto trim on and then back off. Apparently it is now enabled by default. Everything's back to normal once you do that.

Thanks for the tip!

/KC

The latest version is practically unplayable for me. Takistan or Utes doesn't really matter. Once I get into the chopper I get like 4-7 fps, versus 20-35 outside. Maybe there was lowered performance once you got into the chopper also in the previous version, I don't know, but it wasn't like this. Don't want to put blame on RTT, as this worked without same penalty in the previous version.

That actually sounds too much of a drop. We do get better performance when we leave the heli as the RTT is shut off by then. Step outside the heli and look at the mirror - its "off". Personally i get the same good performance stepping out the heli as i get in ARMA2. So when we get on/off function for the mirror it should be the same as playing ARMA2.

You gotta switch auto trim on and then back off. Apparently it is now enabled by default. Everything's back to normal once you do that.

I don't like this new feature. At least on Veteran and Expert difficulties, auto trim should be off at start. As it is now, it is on, but the options menu says "auto trim on," implying that is off. Not intuitive. So what I wrote before about me flying the whole route and landing with auto trim off is untrue. I think this issue should be reverted to the way it was in the first beta. Just my two cents...

The current state of the autotrim (on/off), and if manual trim is set or not, should always be displayed accurately in the options menu (mouse wheel), and also somewhere on the instrument panel (like a little green light if auto trim is on, and a similar light for manual trim set - this would be a new feature). For lower difficulty settings, trim state indicators should also be present in the hud, if they aren't already (I don't know if they are - I only play on Veteran).

Having said that, instrument panel lights may not be "realistic", as perhaps autotrim/manual trim set are not present in real helos, just in ToH.

I think the flight model in the new beta is nearly perfect - and lots of fun.

----------------------------------------

Having learned how to use manual trim set (thanks to sbsmac), and REALLY turning off auto trim (thanks to SJ_MarcL), I completed the Veteran flight with auto trim off. Nice.

----------------------------------------------

Awesome new discovery - certain button on left stick (starter), and on the panel (e.g. light, collision lights, batteries on/off, etc.) are workable, meaning that you can mouse over them and see their functionality. FANTASTIC! I hope nearly all the buttons become workable, or at least their function is displayed, so that we can really learn about the heli controls. However, the starter switch does not appear to work - if you select it, the starter clicks like it's working, but the engine doesn't start and the rotors do not move. Maybe I have to switch batteries on first?

Edited by OMAC

I wanted to give some feedback on the update. I don't know if it's psychological, but the heli seems more stable and easy to fly (and yes, I made sure that auto trim was off). The additional land contact points definitely make a difference. I don't know if the lateral roll over stability it improved (it seems like it), but the helicopter definitely hits the tail on the ground now instead of rolling over backwards as if it had no tail.

The auto start up is very nice and it taught me that the noise that the starter is making is not the turbine engine... you're suppose to turn that off when you're flying, apparently :p

I like the update! Thanks for the continuing support!

Is it possible that when you install Take On, it switches the difficulty to expert? We had a user complain about that to us (well, the complaint was they lost their external views). We later found that the user's difficulty was on expert (which he has no recollection of setting). I was playing CWR2 today and I was switching to external views like it was going out of style. Later, I installed Take On and I found that I was unable to switch to an external view. I investigated and I found that my difficulty was on expert.

Edited by Max Power

Here is my feedback on update. Landing and control is definitly more easy (with trim off). Now I can imagine that I will be able to do some task, not only fly without purpose. I don't know if its not only my idea, but what I miss now is bigger air cushion, I liked hover near ground and now effect is probably reduced but maybe it is connected with easy landing.

Funny is that I try fly with pedals (only from logitech wheel), it was horrible experience, I get used to fly with only joystick and now it is more easier for me :). Also I try fly in Arma 2 and now its "terrible" experience, really boring. Now when BI spoil me with advanced flight model, new FM for Arma 3 is must have ;).

What could be changed is that enviroment sound (bird singing, clock bell) can be hear inside helicopter(same problem like in Arma2), it would be nice if it will be corected.

Edited by BoboCZ

I wanted to give some feedback on the update. I don't know if it's psychological, but the heli seems more stable and easy to fly (and yes, I made sure that auto trim was off). The additional land contact points definitely make a difference. I don't know if the lateral roll over stability it improved (it seems like it), but the helicopter definitely hits the tail on the ground now instead of rolling over backwards as if it had no tail.

I agree on all counts. This beta is a huge improvement all around, especially on landing.

Do "ground contact points" refer to points on the skids that touch the ground? The helo seems to like the ground much better, not always bouncing off and rolling over. I have noticed the helo slowly sliding down a very gradual slope after I get out at the end. I think that friction between skids and ground should be increased a little.

On another note, shouldn't BIS introduce a new thread for each new beta, as it is for A2/OA?

Edited by OMAC

I am not a veteran Arma pilot, i only have mouse/keyboard, and i am finding the control very good, very easy to pilot. It's curious, how a more realistic flight model is not harder, but easier, once i grew accustomed to the new model in 30 minutes.

The key is in the chopper responding much more to your input, being easier to correct the flight path if you make a bad move, and not having so much inertia in general that made low flying dangerous, changing speeds tricky, not controlling well the ration between height and speed. You feel more in control now. I suppose it's because this is the light version, medium and heavy versions will be harder to control at some speeds.

I agree on all counts. This beta is a huge improvement all around, especially on landing.

Do "ground contact points" refer to points on the skids that touch the ground? The helo seems to like the ground much better, not always bouncing off and rolling over. I have noticed the helo slowly sliding down a very gradual slope after I get out at the end. I think that friction between skids and ground should be increased a little.

On another note, shouldn't BIS introduce a new thread for each new beta, as it is for A2/OA?

If they are the same as in ArmA, they are vertexes on a special LOD that tell the engine what the extents of the surface that should be touching the ground are. In arma, it seems like the vehicles' 'resting on the ground, right way up' simulation is much different than the 'bouncing off the roof in increasingly high oscillations' simulation.

Tested TKOH with FPS overlay and i noticed to my surprise that it isnt bad performance (low FPS). Its stuttering. I have 60FPS outside the heli and 60FPS inside. Only difference is massive stuttering when inside.

Tested CpuCount=4 which worked in ARMA2 back in the days when there were HT stuttering, and this didnt help in TKOH so i will try turn HT off in BIOS and test again.

Good to know though the PiP didnt cause performance problem of the scale i first thaught. This might be down to a HT thing or something else im sure BIS will take care of. ;)

EDIT: HT off in BIOS did not help.

EDIT2: I have noticed another thing. Two times now after a while of flying i get huge performance problem. It lags so much i can barely click the buttons to exit.

I see spam of this sort in the RPT: Link to 8000500011e0036c (Obj-143,20:876) not released

Which might be normal for the Community Preview, but i see nothing else. Apart from that TKOH becomes totally unplayable.

Edited by Alex72

I am experiencing some crashes when I experiment with AI pilots.

It happens when 2 or more choppers with ai pilots are close to each other.

*edit

I cant seem to successfully create a reproducible event, so I assume its my hardware and not an issue with the preview...

I think i have my repro. anyone care to try it? (SinglePlayer/Senario/ToHai)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30579259/ToHai.Takistan.pbo

I crash as the 3rd pilot boards his chopper

If it's happening to someone else I will create a new CIT issue.:rolleyes:

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;1974089']I am experiencing some crashes when I experiment with AI pilots.

It happens when 2 or more choppers with ai pilots are close to each other.

*edit

I cant seem to successfully create a reproducible event' date=' so I assume its my hardware and not an issue with the preview...[/s']

Crashes for me as I run near the heli.

-Ziggy-;1974089']

I can reproduced it. Once game crash when I was still at land' date=' sometimes game crash when I'm at air.

-----------------

[b']Rain bug[/b]

I have different bug. When start rain, my framerate is drasticly decreased to 8fps at Chernarus, Takistan, about 20fps at Utes, Capria. At Shapur and Desert map my fps is OK. Can someone reproduced it? Set weather to rain, you can speed up time. When rain start in my case framerate is decreased, after rain stop everything goes back to normal and I get 60 fps.

Edited by BoboCZ

thank you gentlemen.

I made the issue report http://dev-heaven.net/issues/21929

Rain bug

I have different bug. When start rain, my framerate is drasticly decreased to 8fps at Chernarus, Takistan, about 20fps at Utes, Capria. At Shapur and Desert map my fps is OK. Can someone reproduced it? Set weather to rain, you can speed up time. When rain start in my case framerate is decreased, after rain stop everythink goes back to normal and I get 60 fps.

Holy crap. I also notice my frame rate plummets when rain starts.

Takistan 120fps dropped down to 7 :eek:

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;1975034']

Holy crap. I also notice my frame rate plummets when rain starts.

Takistan 120fps dropped down to 7 :eek:

Thanks. I tried it in Arma 2, in case that its only my pc problem and there is everything fine. I haven't devheaven account, so could you make devheaven ticket? only in case devs didn't notice it. Possibly it will not be necesary.

it seems that tkoh preview contain 2 flight models. the old arma2 version on the old helicopters and the new tkoh version which is built into the new special helicopter? or, as a 2nd option, is there one flight model and the new special helicopter simply accesses more of the newer variables?

if the 2nd option, it'd be interesting if the other heli's or usermade heli's could get access those new variables as well to give a feeling of what flying different type helis could be like. of course i do not know what i am talking about and am only questioning things.

Just had a go with the preview. Nice flying once I set the analogue throttle/brake under options-controls.

No crashes, no lag and no issues so far for me (it has not rained yet:))

CAMERA ISSUES

I was hoping to take some screen shots to entice friends to buy it and found that when you go to the external view and zoom in, the bottom half of the helicopter disappears off the screen. I had to resort to some cam scripts to get good shots.

One thing that is needed in a flight sim is good external views. You need things like chase cams and a drop cam that is placed 500m in front to record a flyby.

I hope things like this would be included?

CAMERA ISSUES

I was hoping to take some screen shots to entice friends to buy it and found that when you go to the external view and zoom in, the bottom half of the helicopter disappears off the screen. I had to resort to some cam scripts to get good shots.

One thing that is needed in a flight sim is good external views. You need things like chase cams and a drop cam that is placed 500m in front to record a flyby.

I hope things like this would be included?

Here is nice comprehension tutorial for free camera, slow motion and so on. Hope this will help you.

l2yDtL87q_c

Can we please have an option to keep the ArmA style GPS? The overlay on nearly the whole screen is really distracting and i'D like to keep the small monitor in my bottom right corner.

Can we please have an option to keep the ArmA style GPS? The overlay on nearly the whole screen is really distracting and i'D like to keep the small monitor in my bottom right corner.

I agree 100%. Nightstalker's video showed him with a timer on his lap. The A2 GPS could be on our laps or in a small screen attached to the instrument panel. M for the full-screen overlay, ^M for small GPS view at lower right, as in A2/CO.

I agree 100%. Nightstalker's video showed him with a timer on his lap. The A2 GPS could be on our laps or in a small screen attached to the instrument panel. M for the full-screen overlay, ^M for small GPS view at lower right, as in A2/CO.

The screen for the FLIR display would do in fact, have it switch between the GPS and FLIR feeds at the touch of a button.

I am not a veteran Arma pilot, i only have mouse/keyboard, and i am finding the control very good, very easy to pilot. It's curious, how a more realistic flight model is not harder, but easier, once i grew accustomed to the new model in 30 minutes.

The key is in the chopper responding much more to your input, being easier to correct the flight path if you make a bad move, and not having so much inertia in general that made low flying dangerous, changing speeds tricky, not controlling well the ration between height and speed. You feel more in control now. I suppose it's because this is the light version, medium and heavy versions will be harder to control at some speeds.

I agree.

With the ArmA flight model, things such as "low torgue skidding" and flying effectively using the rudder is not possible.

The more possibilities in the flight model, the better. Simple flight model =/= easier flight model.

I also fly with a keyboard and mouse, unlike many flightsims the ArmA series support them very well.

So you noticed my timer, but you didn't notice the GPS sitting on top of the panel? ;)

So you noticed my timer, but you didn't notice the GPS sitting on top of the panel? ;)

There is so much going on with the panel that it slipped my mind, plus it's hard too see the GPS in detail. Also, someone asked you about the timer and you explained what it was.

But I may be wrong about M being good for overlay. M should be for the large, normal, non-overlay map, of course. ^M could be for small GPS screen, and some other key/key combo for the overlay. What about ^MM for overlay?

There is so much going on with the panel that it slipped my mind, plus it's hard too see the GPS in detail. Also, someone asked you about the timer and you explained what it was.

But I may be wrong about M being good for overlay. M should be for the large, normal, non-overlay map, of course. ^M could be for small GPS screen, and some other key/key combo for the overlay. What about ^MM for overlay?

I think that if you hit M for Map view, it should automatically pause the flight. If there is going to be a GPS or map function while flying it should be integrated into the panel or cockpit somehow and seperate from the Map view.

Just my two bits.