Sign in to follow this  
bussinrounds

New Rainbow 6

http://kotaku.com/5807528/rainbow-six-will-blow-your-fucking-mind

So they say that they are getting back to the tactical roots of the old school Rainbow games..

I highly doubt it.

First off it's UBI, who was responsible for taking the Rainbow and Ghost Recon games away from that direction in the first place, and has never made a good tactical shooter. (Red Storm Entertainment were the devs responsible for the good R6 and GR games)

And the article says "there is a brand new cover system that takes you out of the first-person perspective and into the third."

How is that brand new ? That's what Vegas had and it was bs. It lets you see everything and survey the battlefield, while still being protected (which is nonsense for a supposed semi-realistic/tactical game)

If they want a cover mode, they should do it Red Orchestra style. No going to a 3rd person view crap.

Fast foward to 3:15

The group, fed up with the greed of Wall Street and the government that acts to protect them, decides to target New York City.
Sound like a nice sub plot hinting to people that dont like things on home soil or government (who are your protectors ... ? ) will turn inwards and become terrorists, watch out! oooh! Subtle little "story" line ... I bet it will be as you say, same old same old with a crap movie plot line for the masses. Sorry to bring that bit up but games and films play a role in "moulding minds" :)

Someone linked a great article recently about Rainbow 6 and how it went down the tubes ... its called "The Fall Of Rainbow Six" ... I googled it and all forums linking to it are dead links ... interesting it was up recently pretty much catalogues the downfall realy well too. The link is here if its just my net links but its seems like it was pulled (or just my connection at the moment):

http://www.interinactive.com/?p=620

Edited by mrcash2009

"So they say that they are getting back to the tactical roots of the old school Rainbow games.."

I would really enjoy a new R6 game similar to the semi-realistic style of the old ones. But I have zero faith in Ubisoft. It will likely be geared toward consoles and disappoint, especially after reading about the 3rd person cover system. Oh well.

The old ones were on consoles and still semi-realistic.

How come now everything on consoles has to be casualized compared to back then ?

How come now everything on consoles has to be casualized compared to back then ?

Wait, what the hell are You talking about? Classic R6 (Up to Raven Shield & Athena Sword) wasn't ever available on consoles.

and btw Buss, they removed "brand new" words out of the article, worst part is:

A new icon-rich graphics style helps to highlight members of your team during a mission and other pertinent information.
Edited by JonPL

Because consoles are designed to let everyone play.

Wait, what the hell are You talking about? Classic R6 (Up to Raven Shield & Athena Sword) wasn't ever available on consoles.

and btw Buss, they removed "brand new" words out of the article, worst part is:

The original Rainbow Six was ported to the PSX, Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 (certainly not as good as the PC version, though):

Example:

http://www.gamespot.com/n64/action/rainbowsix/index.html

I bet the plot will probably feature another ex-Rainbow member who has gone rogue and is helping the terrorist organization, and that the "return to tactical roots" will probably involve at least one fight with a helicopter. Besides, Ubi will never bring back the one feature that defined the old games: being killed in 1-2 hits without being able to heal yourself :)

Edited by badlymad

Somehow I'm unconvinced that this will be any progress in reviving the series. Vegas and its sequel deserve to be called Rainbow Six games as much as DR deserves the OFP title.

FPDR

While RB6, HL/TFC and OFP: CWC hooked me to the FPS genre, I have to ask the developers to add MP into the mix as well.

yay @ console R6! Never heard about this, I take back what I wrote above :)

Im curious anyway, maybe someone @Ubi found out what thinking is, and thought out the idea to make a game that would satisfy the less childish casuals and milsim-like-stuff enthusiasts. How? Sliders or context windows in the options menu, for example.

"But R6\Letdown\Vegas already got such stuff!". Yeah, they did, but the range of the changes You were able to make was disgraceful (only MoH:A was worse), especially that You had no chance to really change the way game plays (even tho there's two settings, arcade and "realistic"). What options, You'd ask?

Field Of View - most frustrating shit in every console port. Makes it hard to navigate in CQB, make You think You move slow as a turtle and makes everything look weird in scale. It kills everything, including Your eyes.

Damage system - You could switch between health regenaration, realistic one (You got shot - You've got a problem!) and maybe semi-realistic (getting healed by the teammates, or by a corpseman waiting at the entry location).

Amount of HUD help - it should be tweakable, due to the obvious fact not everyone like when his HUD is full of shiny blinking stuff taken straight out of GRAW

Enemy skill - how accurate the enemy fire will be or how good they'll be at spotting You. Should vary from retarded to R6 Elite.

Friendly skill - same but for friendly AI, the faster they kill the enemy, the less fun You have (unless they'll be needed to save your ass)

There could be also "Command System" settings, like in SWAT4, or even ready presets of the above options ("rookie, vegas player, rainbow six veteran", etc).

Many of You say "You can't make a game that'll satisfy everyone", but I disagree. You can. But there wasn't many people who have tried (Thanks BIS). Simple and efficient way to make money and new friends in the both gaming communities. But that requires a good design and "good will", which aren't really popular in the industry among these days. I'd love to see Ubi can do something good and turn out something more than just greedy assholes.

Oh, and hey - there's also another good idea :) Fire the asshole that burried Raven Shield 2.0 project.

Also... I have to say I like how Kotaku made the background story sound. Seems like we'll be fighting for the "bad guys" and that's pretty unusual :)

Edited by JonPL

*yawn*

Ubi... don't you get it? We don't believe in you anymore. Yeah. Thanks.

Gritty Cinematic Story. LoL!

-k

Gritty Cinematic Story. LoL!

Yeah, does this happen before or after the terrorists admonish you for killing their teammates that owe you money while you regenerate your health hiding behind a plyboard table?

...or is it during the bit where you randomly fastrope into a building and shoot pretty much everyone with an MP5K held in one hand?

Somehow I'm unconvinced that this will be any progress in reviving the series. Vegas and its sequel deserve to be called Rainbow Six games as much as DR deserves the OFP title.

FPDR

You dont have to be that extreme. There is a big difference. OFDR did everything bad and ruin the name. Vegas sure was dumbed down, not R6 anymore but what they were going for they did very good.

You dont have to be that extreme. There is a big difference. OFDR did everything bad and ruin the name. Vegas sure was dumbed down, not R6 anymore but what they were going for they did very good.

Shoot that man. NAO.

really? and what were they going for?

Shoot that man. NAO.

NO! He's a witch! Burn him!!:flamethrower:

Call of Duty with the option to order your squad mates around.

cut

is gonna be like the old and good raven shield or it will be just a clone of vegas?

They were goin for dumbed down version for consoles of course but a lot good to it:

-very fluid movment and cover system

-good usage of controls

-besides GRAW, best reload animations ever in FPS (not counting mods for other games)

-interesting, well made story that makes for good coop

-funny terrorist conversations

-customizing your character and weapons like never before it

-shitload of weapons and gadgets available. Attaching silencer on the fly

-very good weapon, explosion sounds as well as decent voice acting

-a lot of challanges, badges, etc. to accomplish/achieve

All in all, they canceled meny things from previous R6 games, like customizing fire teams, planning before mission, etc. that I really liked but its far from fast paced FPS. In Vegas 2 you even have hardcore mode or so that limits your view when taking cover so its nearly like 1st person cover system.

My point is that its not as bad as some of you make it apear to be.

In DR, nothing is well made.

Edited by 11aTony

3rd Person View + "Hold X to Vault" = Thanks, but its a non-go!

I want this:

ravenshield-planning.jpg

Hours of planning and testing to make a whole level without mistakes (while not playing, just watching the AI..). That was fun for me...

All in all, they canceled meny things from previous R6 games, like customizing fire teams, planning before mission, etc. that I really liked but its far from fast paced FPS. In Vegas 2 you even have hardcore mode or so that limits your view when taking cover so its nearly like 1st person cover system.

My point is that its not as bad as some of you make it apear to be.

The cover system totally dilutes the spirit of Rainbow Six. The series is supposed to be about well planned and fluid assaults, not about war-like firefights. The fact that the terrorists get a chance to return fire means that you screwed up.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

3rd Person View + "Hold X to Vault" = Thanks, but its a non-go!

I want this:

http://foodandfrag.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/ravenshield-planning.jpg

Hours of planning and testing to make a whole level without mistakes (while not playing, just watching the AI..). That was fun for me...

jesss....back in time eh.

Edited by Foxhound
§14) Remove tags when quoting a post containing an image or embedded video

I've tried to get both Ravenshield and Rogue Spear (never tried either) on my Win 7 64, but neither demo have ever worked. Tried compatibility mode -still no luck.

:(

Smurf ... with the new "must have it now" generation of sooo, kind of like, random ... folk, Im thinking planning phase would be an alien concepts ...

"Wha? I haz 2 plan dis shit? LOLZ WTF ... I want to shewt stuffz".

I just loves seeing that planning screen you posted, I spent hours on some planning missions, getting my go codes stacked so well that AI had no place to run :)

All i ever asked was Raven Shield with better AI as enemy and smarter team AI for stacking at doors and breaching ... sprinkle of better graphics ... update on planning with more fluent GI in places ... job done. But no, we had .... an FPS shooter based on movies hinting of the past a bit and planning stuffed into a bin and fired to the moon.

Edited by mrcash2009