Sign in to follow this  
celery

Things ArmA 1 and OFP did better than Arma 2

Imagine an HD Remake of OFP on the ArmA 3 engine, I would cry...of joy.

That would be damn awesome, there's a lack of modern cold war era games.

I imagine CWR will be more than happy to git own that when A3 arrives.

Yeah that would be great. I still play OFP, it's the best game ever made period

Also driving is a pleasure again! Remember when we had a pointing cue and the steerwheel actually turned right to it?

I never understood why they changed that...

Same here..seemed so perfect, I remember driving tanks around inside and using the mouse, it felt so fluid and natural with great control, but in A2 I have to use the keyboard because the mouse control 'lags' behind and winds up throwing me off :( Also lack of interior takes the immersion out some.

on a side note, wasn't OFP campaigns being ported over to arma/arma2?

I think that would be the tell tale to this discussion

edit:

I remember it was alot more fun piloting a chopper in OPF than arma/arma 2. I'm not sure which of the systems are more realistic, but I liked to adjust my course with the tail rotor in OFP, something that ARMA/ARMA 2 kinda revert on once you let go of the button.

Edited by Sargoth

Arma2's helicopter control is the more realistic, in OFP you couldn't do any kinds of maneuvers really and the helicopters had a kind of "stick over the ground" effect, can't comment on tail rotors because I don't know if they actually do lose their control.

And you may be thinking about Cold War Rearmed.

If properly executed, I think it could possibly align the planets and bring peace and harmony to the entire galaxy... or at least this community. :rolleyes:

OFP:

* Awesome animations - seriously, the OFP animations were much looser and while less realistic they were certainly nicer looking, especially the death animations and the swaying equipment.

* Story and setting - it made sense and was rooted in reality, I'm tired of fictional stuff to be honest, it just doesn't stick.

* Missions - I really liked how "average" the missions were, you felt like a soldier and not like a ... super commando? It just feels strange now.

* Minimalism - everything OFP did was purely functional, it was really quick and got the job done.

• AI: Less Scripted , Less Awkard , More Reliable , Follows order more efficient
  • Interface: Command Bar, Command System
  • Atmosphere: De/Briefing , Tank Interiors , Simple but more immersive Lighting
  • Cold War: Equipment , Factions , Possible Scenarios , Good Campaign

These two have grasped the core of OFP, which made the game so great and which where unfortunately not achieved by the following titles.

My own view only adds to that:

Where OFP had many simple missions with clear objectives put together, Arma2 missions had much more freedom. This is not bad as this has also worked for OFP (think of user missions). But the gameplay of Arma2 really suffers from the complicated AI and therefore this freedom and its atmosphere is broken.

I would also support another point, which has been said here already: The factions of Arma2 are very unbalanced. This wouldn't be a problem, but it is, indeed, cause you feel this in every mission. In OFP, men with guns stumbled in war, who were in fear and sorrow, knowing this could mean the end of their life. Arma2 is full fearless guys, who are lusting for gunfights, throwing their lives away, knowing nothing can kill them. This does not create any atmosphere.

I don't remember a single mission in Arma2 (or lets take OA, cause it had stricter missions), where you had to retreat. For OA, every objectives given, also had to be and was achieved sometime. PMC had potential, but was very short (every mission was a show of one feature) and also suffered from the sluggish AI (vehicle- and infantry-wise), which destroyed the feel of the missions.

OFP had an AI which was distinct, fast and followed its orders. You were in control of the situation regarding your troops, but not necessarily regarding the mission. And this did the trick of the gameplay.

In OFP you could put your rifle on your back and the handgun in your holster.

In OFP you could put your rifle on your back and the handgun in your holster.

Yeah, but sadly everyone knew if you were armed because you had that awesome "invisible slung rifle" look about you. :D

Good times.

AI in OFP is terrible compared to what we have now.

Yes now they don't run at an enemy and die like RTS units, preferring to actually trying to survive and win - but isn't that the whole point?

Arma2 is full fearless guys, who are lusting for gunfights, throwing their lives away, knowing nothing can kill them. This does not create any atmosphere.

Excuse me?

I still remember reloads every time a single member of Razor dies. And you could die even more easily than in OFP due to more detailed environments. Chernarus was like playing some Vietnam game at times. I don't remember guys in OFP crying "omg we are all going to die!" in panic though

AA2 campaign sucked for other reasons. Namely "warfare".

Edited by metalcraze

Imagine an HD Remake of OFP on the ArmA 3 engine, I would cry...of joy. That would be damn awesome, there's a lack of modern cold war era games.

Frigid Battle Equipped Again 3

Excuse me?

I still remember reloads every time a single member of Razor dies. And you could die even more easily than in OFP due to more detailed environments. Chernarus was like playing some Vietnam game at times. I don't remember guys in OFP crying "omg we are all going to die!" in panic though

AA2 campaign sucked for other reasons. Namely "warfare".

He was referring to their attitudes not the actual mission design. The characters didn't ever really seem to have much fear of dying despite the fact that they found themselves in some pretty crap situations.

I do miss the relative balanced units of OFP though. I guess it isn't really about actual unit balance or anything but more about the storyline and how I felt about the enemy. I never viewed them as a huge threat like I did in OFP where I was fighting another super power.

He was referring to their attitudes not the actual mission design. The characters didn't ever really seem to have much fear of dying despite the fact that they found themselves in some pretty crap situations.

Neither they were in OFP. Hence my comment about them not showing any emotion.

I certainly do miss a darker atmosphere of fear of war in BIS games because BIS simply doesn't want to add things like, say, ECP added into OFP - namely burning vehicle crew members running around on fire, crying in agony, then falling dead while still burning - this was downright creepy at times and it really was bringing that feeling that this is actually a war where people die horribly.

I do miss the relative balanced units of OFP though. I guess it isn't really about actual unit balance or anything but more about the storyline and how I felt about the enemy. I never viewed them as a huge threat like I did in OFP where I was fighting another super power.

BIS had Russia in AA2. A wasted potential.

thing I miss a lot, is being able to move through bushes and shrubs, and setup inside of them.

I hate the name of Arma. Couldn't they just use the name Cold War Crisis? Or is that owned by Conmasters?

I hate the name of Arma. Couldn't they just use the name Cold War Crisis? Or is that owned by Conmasters?

Well, there's the whole "taking place outside of the widely recognised Cold War Era" thing.

What sense would ArmA have made had it been called Cold War Crisis? It's not set in the Cold War...

Edit: Damnit Cameron!

Edited by Zipper5
Ninja'd

I think it's quite obvious that OFP singleplayer campaigns beat ArmA 2 ones. I mean, the scale of story, the characters, the voice acting, the creativity of the missions themselves - it all created a great SP experience for me

Sorry you have been made redundant, we don't need someone around here to state the blatantly obvious. :D

I kid, I kid, your point is completely correct and I DAMN WELL HOPE BIS makes an ofp-esque campaign.

Oh how I loved that game, where is it now? (searches for usb with ofp install on it... again...)

GUNS

The recoils: in ArmA1 version 1.08 where more belivable (at least the M16, M4 and AK47 that I used in the army where nicly simulated) in ArmA2 they were a bit random.

Damage: In ArmA1 if got hit with an M16 twice BOOM your are dead (my assumptions are that it doesnt really mean that you get killed, it means something like you are out of combat, so you have to respawn). The damage system was more preferable in ArmA1 from ArmA2 since in ArmA2 if you take like 2-3 hits you dont die but still you need to press respawn because you cant offer much to your team. Maybe simulate that with a new module?

Colors

OFP and ArmA2 have a bit gloomy colors in comparison to ArmA1. I loved more ArmA1 because they were more clear depending the dynamic weather of course.

Movement

If you ask me ArmA1 movement was a bit better than ArmA2 in its general feeling, the only thing that was better in ArmA2 was the animations, they were more smooth.

STAMINA OMG! WTF! FFS! ArmA2 you make two steps and you cant properly aim... The hold breath key in ArmA1 made it felt more like you where using it (maybe add an effect in ArmA3 just as an indicator like ine CoD)

Scenario: SLA rocked my world! They were like the best and most belivable "bad guys" in every game I have ever played.

Damage: In ArmA1 if got hit with an M16 twice BOOM your are dead (my assumptions are that it doesnt really mean that you get killed, it means something like you are out of combat, so you have to respawn). The damage system was more preferable in ArmA1 from ArmA2 since in ArmA2 if you take like 2-3 hits you dont die but still you need to press respawn because you cant offer much to your team. Maybe simulate that with a new module?

respawn lol

OMG! WTF! FFS! ArmA2 you make two steps and you cant properly aim... The hold breath key in ArmA1 made it felt more like you where using it (maybe add an effect in ArmA3 just as an indicator like ine CoD)

oh not again

respawn lol

oh not again

Well sprinting for 25 meters in full gear and getting even somehow exhausted is not really well for a soldier.

25 is a bit stretching it although not as "2 steps" but after sprinting in full gear for 50-100 your aim certainly won't be steady no matter what.

It doesn't jump like crazy either in the real world (like it does in a2/OA).

What sense would ArmA have made had it been called Cold War Crisis? It's not set in the Cold War...

Edit: Damnit Cameron!

There are plenty of books and studies written by intelligence analyst that mention us still living in the Cold War. That it was never won and we never ended it.

Look at the United States' defense budget. Look at the Cold War designed equipment they keep designing and using (F-22, F35, B1 and B52 bombers, nuclear/attack submarines).

What about Russia and the United States rocky relationship with our missile defense shield. What about how some in the Pentagon didn't like the idea of Russia selling MiGs and other military equipment to Venezuela.

America and Russia: Has the Cold War Really Ended?

US nuclear doctrine, missile defence in Europe and NATO expansion

"The twentieth anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall is approaching, but has the Cold War really ended and is it really a historic relic of the not too distant past? The Soviet Union may no longer exist and the Warsaw Pact may have long been dissolved, but many of the remnants of the Cold War still exist, like the conflict in the divided Korean Peninsula, the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), and finally the issue of missile defense. In the last few years the relations between NATO and the Russian Federation have become tense and described in terms reminiscent of the Cold War. One of the main impetuses for this resumption of Cold tensions has been the U.S. missile shield project in the European continent. The Russians have consistently made no secret about maintaining that the missile defense shield, above all else, is a threat to them."

SOURCE:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=16221

respawn lol

oh not again

you have more than 1000 posts. and all of them are trolling/spamming etc I wonder how you got past the admins and didnt get banned.

Not everyone wants to play vs BOTS like you