Sign in to follow this  
Millenium7

mission makers, please, for the love of god!

no more bloody evolution! it is ri-god-damn-diculous how many servers run 'evolution' on them, literally 90-95% of the servers are running it and i'm gobsmacked as to why?

evolution:

- makes mods/addons almost redundant unless playing singleplayer

- creates a tiny mission maker community since nobody plays anything else, the amount and quality of missions available for ArmA2 is a joke compared to OFP

- stops me playing multiplayer, there is no feeling of immersion or accomplishment like doing a 'proper' mission from start to end. Boring!

Bring back proper coop scenarios to multiplayer!

Anyone feel the same?

i never played evolution, and only a few times domination. It is not the mission maker issue, but the server admins. There are plenty of servers who don't host neither.

you want to change something: get your hands dirty - create missions the way you like it, and host them on your own server

We can make all the modes we want, but it's up to server admins to host them.

We can make all the modes we want, but it's up to server admins to host them.

agreed however the reality is right here n now (and ever since evolution was ported to ArmA2) 90% of servers have been running evolution.

The idea of 'host your own server' is ridiculous, the whole point of multiplayer is to play with other people. I don't have the bandwidth nor the amount of people to fill one by myself

In my case, evolution has killed my multiplayer experience, I bought and played ArmA2 up until evolution came around because it was varying coop scenarios whereby you had to work towards an objective, not do the same capture rubbish over and over. After that I just can't stand it, I play 'maybe' a couple times every 6 months

Your problem is with server admins and player habits then (as Defunkt rightly pointed out).

Many, many more missions other than Evolution are made, they are just never played.

Looks like I'm a poet.

Actually mission makers could do better too, 2 out of every 3 small scale co-op missions I've ever tried are bugged, typically with non-functioning mission ends.

True again, but there are still many great coop missions that are left untouched.

Milenium try to find yourself a clan or a squad . Evolution or domination usually run when the server is public . Real COOP missions are played on clan nights .

Actually mission makers could do better too, 2 out of every 3 small scale co-op missions I've ever tried are bugged, typically with non-functioning mission ends.

This x 1000.

The other part of this is as fun as a little mission might be, any mission using bird respawn is an insta-neverplay. It's far too easy to die due to game bugs or something similar like a door hitting your foot then you just sit there for the whole game while others play. That's completely and totally not fun.

The other thing is, if you have a series of missions on a server you generally need an admin to sit there and swap missions or restart missions or else you have minutes and minutes waited for time outs. Voting for admin isn't always possible due to silly players.

Then there's the fact that Evo and Domi can be put on a server and dozens of players can have a lot of fun all day long playing it. You don't usually get that with single missions in rotation.

A lot of people seem to dislike the mega missions, but a lot love them too. Domi played as a team is a LOT of fun.

Arma1 brought JIP and that brought with it the perhaps unintended consequences that missions became bigger, longer, more open, had to feature respawn, etc.

The consequences of that, in turn, is that only smart and highly ambitious mission authors gets to compete in the public server space.

The players do of course have the final word, but I think the free market has spoken so to say. The players have chosen.

The amount of regular missions hasn't really increased much either though. One reason I'd point to is task objectives which has turned very complex with arma2.

I'd strongly advise BIS to make some templates for setting up the basics like objectives.

Some clans also have some public sessions (7thCav comes to mind). And in Domination sometimes you find organized teams playing more tactical too going for the side missions, join them, the Objective is done totaly different and that tired taste might go off :)

Agreed, Domi is so boring. Hey, lets smash each town in succession with artillery/air power, none of which the AI has a counter to, then wander around for 30 minutes looking for the last AI soldier to kill as mop up.

There's no challenge and no fun.

To be honest, I haven't played evolution ONCE in ArmA 2/OA and I haven't seen that many servers playing it.

It's mainly Domination, Warfare, AAS and some custom co-ops being played.

It's utter nonsense to be mad at mission makers for making a mission you don't like.

It's utter nonsense to be mad at mission makers for making a mission you don't like.

as i would have said it myself.

dont like it? dont play it, create something your self instead of whining.

It's mainly domination. I wish more people played PvP, fighting against AI is too easy. You always know what they're going to do and there are never any surprises.

I've been playing for 3 years and have only played once in evo... most of the time I don't see them.

I feel like the oddball out on this one. I've played a ton of Evolution, Domination, and to a lesser extent, Insurgency. The majority of that was done with my friends though. The smaller MP missions I've played were usually with a group of randoms I would occasionally manage to get together that would be willing to try it out. Unfortunately it's not too often, but placing blame on the mission creators is just flat out stupid. It's like blaming Ford for people not using their blinkers when turning.

Blaming mission makers won't solve anything. Missions like Domination are an easy choice for server admins since they are proven to work round the clock while providing simple gameplay for those who just want to blast things away. Making a proper classic coop mission that is stable and takes JIP into consideration takes time and usually ends up in the abyss of unknown missions anyway.

BIS could help this situation by introducing easy to use mission repository that would be integrated into multiplayer. Admins could pick missions from this offical repo to create a mission list for their servers. Players would then automatically download selected missions from the repo and its mirror saving server bandwith in the process. Naturally players could write reviews for all missions in the repo, give ratings and comment on stability. Unstable missions would be removed from the repo or put into beta missions section for example. Admins could also create random lists that pick up best rated missions from different categories and players could vote for missions that are in the repo. I think a repo like this would help to keep things fresh within the multiplayer community.

Edited by Norsu

As far as I'm concerned, Arma2 public MP will be "fixed" when PR is released. (Your mileage may vary, of course.)

Until then, I'll stick with Charlie Foxtrot for my Arma2 MP fix, and for everything else, there will still be other servers, and peeps will still be playing their coops.

What will happen with the MP community in Arma3 remains to be seen...

If you want something, get your hands dirty.

Don't like the missions? Find better or Make better.

Don't like the missions / way people play on servers, communicate or find a better one or make a better one.

Edited by Sickboy

Oh, one of _those_ threads again.

Looks like it has become a habbit of dooming all servers running missions which end with <*tion> in their name.

I think these CTI missions are widely successful because:

- ppl can choose how to approach an AO freely rather than following exact orders about timelines, special equipment to be used, ordering scripted Ai support at specific times.

- AOs are switching around when cleared, so you get to fight all around the island, not just in a specific area the mission maker thinks is looking good.

- you can do something with your earned score so there is some sort of 'levelling' or reward or whatever you want to call it. Basically the mission rewards you for playing it, and the longer the better it gets. Hence the 'getting the score back after reconnect' scripts.

- can be played alone or in huge teams. no more waiting for somebody to show up. no more restarting the mission because 50% of the main attack group just dropped out due to random crashes.

Don't blame the server admins, ask yourself why these missions are successful. :)